✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

People from NYC, I need your help!

Batman

Hello everybody! :)

I need help from people that live in New York City. I know this sounds weird, but let me explain:

I'm in the process of making an animation film for my university class, and its topic is about the daily life in NYC. The film contains little scenes from the city during the day, for example all the cabs driving on the streets, the giant buildings, hundred of people walking around, the lost tourists standing around with maps in their hands and all that stuff.

BUT

these are the things only I can think of, and I've never been in NYC so I only know the clichés and stereotypes. I need to know the little things that most people who are new to this city don't see on the first moment, but that are very typical for this city.

For example, a friend of mine has been there recently, and she told me that she was buffled when a woman in a business suit jogged past her, wearing sports shoes and carrying her high heels in a plastic bag! :lol: You know, for me as a stranger to the city, this is a very strange thing to see.

You would do me a tremendous favor if you could tell me things like these :)

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Uruguay, but i'm currently staying one year at Washington DC. I went to NYC for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and the thing about the women wearing sport shoes with their high heels in a bag is absolutely true, you see that a lot here in DC too! :lol: I know this isn't any help for you, but I just find it funny :P

I'm from Uruguay, but i'm currently staying one year at Washington DC. I went to NYC for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and the thing about the women wearing sport shoes with their high heels in a bag is absolutely true, you see that a lot here in DC too! :lol: I know this isn't any help for you, but I just find it funny :P

It's weird isn't it? I find this SO strange.

Oh well, at least some people are posting in this thread now, so everything's not lost :P

Why would you want to make it of NYC if you´ve never been there? It would be a better help if it was something local so you would know where everything is and sort of show another side but it´s your movie so you could whatever you want. Good luck! :nice:

It's weird isn't it? I find this SO strange.

Oh well, at least some people are posting in this thread now, so everything's not lost :P

It is! you see a woman in a fancy dress but when you look at her feet she has dirty sport shoes :lol: you also see women with bare feet :P

So, I'm not from New York but my family is, so I'm there all the time. Central park could be useful to have (you've got the John Lennon memorial in there as well as the zoo), but that's still sort of an obvious one.

One of the things that always struck me is how many people are outside chatting, just sitting on the stoop (the apartment like houses around NYC all have these big stairs called stoops). There are a lot of restaurants, which are sometimes right next to said houses, and everyone's eating outside, even if it's not a great day out. When you walk down the sidewalks, which are often relatively large, you sometimes walk over these grates that fall into the subway below, and if you stand on them when the trains come by you can actually feel the wind. Another thing you will find on the sidewalks are these cellar grates that lead to underground storage areas (these are fun to walk on cause you get this tin sound). Watch out though cause they are often open and if you don't watch out you could fall in :o

I hope this helps some:)

Why would you want to make it of NYC if you´ve never been there? It would be a better help if it was something local so you would know where everything is and sort of show another side but it´s your movie so you could whatever you want. Good luck! :nice:

Well I HAVE to make my film about NYC since it is an university project with the topic "NEW YORK" :lol:

Maybe I should add this information to the first post so people don't get confused :thinking:

you also see women with bare feet :P
OH, fascinating!

So, I'm not from New York but my family is, so I'm there all the time. Central park could be useful to have (you've got the John Lennon memorial in there as well as the zoo), but that's still sort of an obvious one.

One of the things that always struck me is how many people are outside chatting, just sitting on the stoop (the apartment like houses around NYC all have these big stairs called stoops). There are a lot of restaurants, which are sometimes right next to said houses, and everyone's eating outside, even if it's not a great day out. When you walk down the sidewalks, which are often relatively large, you sometimes walk over these grates that fall into the subway below, and if you stand on them when the trains come by you can actually feel the wind. Another thing you will find on the sidewalks are these cellar grates that lead to underground storage areas (these are fun to walk on cause you get this tin sound). Watch out though cause they are often open and if you don't watch out you could fall in :o

I hope this helps some:)

Holy crap, thank you so much for this information, this is fantastic! :dance: This is exactly what I was looking for!

One question though, are the cellar grates rather big, or small? Since you said one can fall into them if you don't watch out? :stunned:

Thank you again! :thumbsup:

When I went, we were in grand central station and the people there were sooo nice! They asked us if we needed any help or whether we were lost or anything and that's something that sticks out for me, the people.:) I saw a lot of people on mobile phones as well, coffee to go and it felt like (this is going to sound really cheesy) everybody was just going to burst into song and dance because I was like 'oh my god, new York, everyone's so talented!!' :wacko:

When I went, we were in grand central station and the people there were sooo nice! They asked us if we needed any help or whether we were lost or anything and that's something that sticks out for me, the people.:) I saw a lot of people on mobile phones as well, coffee to go and it felt like (this is going to sound really cheesy) everybody was just going to burst into song and dance because I was like 'oh my god, new York, everyone's so talented!!' :wacko:

Haha wow, that sounds fantastic! :laugh3:

Okay, loads of nice people, mobile phones and coffee to go, another important information for my list :D THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

One question though, are the cellar grates rather big, or small? Since you said one can fall into them if you don't watch out? :stunned:

About as big as one of the grate segments in the top picture you posted with the guy walking down the street. I'll try to post a picture, but I've never had much luck with that...

^^Well, it certainly helps me reminding of the fact that everything in NYC seems to be freaking HUGE. :freak:

Thank you for taking the time to upload the pictures! That wedding picture is an interesting happening :surprised:

About as big as one of the grates in the top picture you posted with the guy walking down the street I would say. I'll try to post a picture, but I've never had much luck with that.

Phew! Well, if you have huge sidewalks, you can have bit grates as well I guess :P

And one would leave those open? JEEZ :uhoh:

http://gothamist.com/2012/05/28/nypd_may_visit_land_fills_to_find_e.php

Here's a site with a picture of one, since I'm not so good at judging size.

Yeah people just leave them open (especially restaurants and butchers). If you go to China town they're actually rented out and there are separate stores in them.

Wait, there are stores in these holes? :stunned:

:wtf: NYC is one crazy city :nod: