✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

People from NYC, I need your help!

Batman

When I went, we were in grand central station and the people there were sooo nice!

9 out of 10, people will blow you off if you ask for help in NYC. We hate tourists because they just stand in the middle of the sidewalks to take pictures and just block people from getting places. Times Square during summer afternoons/evenings is an absolute nightmare. :angry:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thalia darling, you are right when you say NYC is so huge but there is so much to cover you are right when you say you need to have a theme. Concentrate on one thing instead of a whole big mess, you could do food, or different types of buildings or bridges or transportation or recreation or shopping or just one street like 42nd or Bway or West 4th. and then just film what goes on in that one particular theme and the people around and edit away. it can be overwhelming, god knows I still get lost downtown, the village is tricky. let me know if you pick something and I would be happy to help you out.

9 out of 10, people will blow you off if you ask for help in NYC.[/color] We hate tourists because they just stand in the middle of the sidewalks to take pictures and just block people from getting places. Times Square during summer afternoons/evenings is an absolute nightmare. :angry:
I seem to recall an article in National Geographic or Discover or something like that which outlined this fact, and how it was actually the more efficient/nicer way to be even though it may not seem that way. Rather fascinating article, it was.

In regard to some people in this thread not understanding the women dressed fancy / in business attire yet wearing tennis shoes... it is simply because they don't want to walk around to/from work in their heels. They change into their nice shoes once they get to work. The "average" New Yorker walks at least 2 miles per day (I think); can you imagine walking that in heels? No thanks!

Thalia darling, you are right when you say NYC is so huge but there is so much to cover you are right when you say you need to have a theme. .

Not to mention you can't lump us New Yorkers together into one group. For example, there's a huge difference between people who live on the Upper East Side vs someone who lives in Bed-Stuy.

Not to mention you can't lump us New Yorkers together into one group. For example, there's a huge difference between people who live on the Upper East Side vs someone who lives in Bed-Stuy.

No NO, this wasn't my intention at all, I didn't mean to be impolite to you!! :embarrassed:

Okay, I think my demand for typical NYC sceneries seems fairly naïve, since, as you said:

Thalia darling, you are right when you say NYC is so huge but there is so much to cover you are right when you say you need to have a theme. Concentrate on one thing instead of a whole big mess, you could do food, or different types of buildings or bridges or transportation or recreation or shopping or just one street like 42nd or Bway or West 4th. and then just film what goes on in that one particular theme and the people around and edit away. it can be overwhelming, god knows I still get lost downtown, the village is tricky. let me know if you pick something and I would be happy to help you out.

that place is freaking huge and there's way too much to make a film about (but remember, I'm not actually going to NYC, I will stay here in Germany, ask you people and make an animation film out of your information and the stuff I get from the internet/books/magazines ;))

Maybe I should explain the concept of my movie :nod:

So, first of all, it will be a very short one, since I only have two months to finish it and I'm in the 4th semester so it's not such a big deal for creating the perfect film yet.

As I said, the topic of my class is New York. But actually, there's way more than that with which we can play around in that class (I didn't mention that because I didn't want to spam you with confusing information). We got other different themes (about death and love) mixed togehter with this main topic, and I chose to make a black and white animation film with hand drawn images about a day in NYC, only that this NYC is different, because all the people in there are actually dead and walking around as skeletons, and continue doing what they did when they were still alive.

Now, with that main background information, maybe you understand my request, that of course, NYC is the main theme of my film, but it doesn't have to be that centered on one specific thing that is typical for NYC, but rather little snippets, since the atmosphere I'm trying to create with my drawing style is equally important as the NYC theme. And I don't care from which part of NYC you are, my film is going to be made of daily scenes (not longer than a few seconds) that happen in your city that seem foreign to our German ones. If you live on the Upper East Side, tell me what you see on your way to work/school/whatever that may seem strange to someone who is new to your area. Same thing for anybody else that lives somewhere else. I'm not interested in one main topic like food or the traffic situation, I just want little snippets of your life, no matter where exactly you live in NYC :) Things that had been posted before where EXACTLY what I was looking for, like for example the big grates on the ground or the stoops where peole sit and chat on or the wind that comes up from below you when the subway arrives. Do you know what I mean?

I hope this kind of explains what I am looking for.

And again, I really don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just a stranger to this big giant thing called New York City and I'm really curious about the little things happening there that most of the people don't talk about :)

haha well from a film prospective:

film the subways, the people who ride them/board them, etc. same thing with buses. the buses can also take you to parts of NYC where the culture and diversity becaomes...more different from the rest of the city...just have a map with you lmao

ok let me work on this one for you, if not me? who ? and you are not offending anyone at all but i need to read this in the mornin when im not soooo fuzzy??

:lol: Your response is quite confusing! But thank you for helping me! :cheesy:

I'll be down in NYC daily in the Manhattan area during the summer so I'll keep ye posted

You fucking rule! :thumbsup::dance:

So, is there anybody else out there that is still interested in my request? I appreciate every tiny snippet about your daily life, no matter how unimportant it seems to be :)

^ Crazy sweet, you mean :phu:

^ You're so sweet :wacky:

Umm, I go for the latter option, I dunno if posting Chris pictures would help that much! :lol:

I'll add a link to my signature, maybe that will help a little :shrug:

:D

Have you tried the Lounge "chat" threads, like The Awesome Random posting thread or the Crests [...] thread ?