✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay vs. The World of Music

I guess I take exception to wrapping together contemporary music with the popular music industry. I don't really give two tits what inhabits the radio or the minds of the less music savvy youth in the world today. There is more beautiful, amazing, meaningful music in the world today than I could possibly consume or appreciate in my lifetime. If you're bored or unimpressed with the music you see on your horizon, you're obviously not trying hard enough. Unlike the overly-idealized 'Beatles' society some people still fantasize over today, it is not the industry's responsibility to give listeners the best of the best in music (yeah, the grammy's have about as much relevance as my little sisters opinion).

Music culture has become so stratified today that it would do it an injustice to narrativise it in accordance with a single movement. The very fact that the original quoted you-tube post attempted to make a generalization about music that meaningfully addressed dubstep, hip-hop, alt-rock and whatever the hell linkin park is these days...demonstrates the problem. Every genre today has vibrancy and innovation coming into being each day if you'll only step out of the mainstream instead of whining about what the so-called industry is spoon feeding you.

See this is why it's so hard to approach a delicate subject like this. It's so easy to offend people. WHAT'S WRONG WITH 99 PROBLEMS?????????? Well nothing if you consider playing lyrics such as...

"You'd be celebrating the minute you was havin' dough

I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole"

"Now once upon a time not too long ago

A ***** like myself had to strong arm a hoe

This is not a hoe in the sense of havin a pussy

But a pussy havin no God Damn sense, try and push me"

appropriate to play at a concert where there's kids as young as infants. Not to mention that second verse is just demeaning to women...

If you don't find that ignorant than you may have the wrong definition of the word... :)

I'm sorry but Jay-Z is a raper who curses rather constantly. Those bleeps that occur in the videos DON'T show up in concert, those are REAL curse words there. Kids shouldn't be at his shows, likely there is a minumum age to get into his and most concerts (people do drink at these events), and people going should know what to expect from hsi catalog. If they come to a Jay-Z show and aren't expecting any of that, well THAT's ignorant.

Artists like Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga who have no respect for themselves and put out shallow pop music that deals with little else than sex, I would classify as ignorant.

Ahh the old "if a woman is sexual, empowered, and independent she's a slut and deserves no respect" attitude. I remember the same with Madonna and Britney. Honestly it's just as sexist to consider women as such because it's their right to choose how they want to express themselves. Sure they might be respected more if they didn't do that but it's their decision and it sells. Music can be controversial and outrageous and to say it's ignorant for being that way is just the wrong use of the word. More importantly a waste of time. If you'd rather listen to "better" or more "wholesome" music do so. Hating on musicians who you don't like is just silly. Find a better crusade. If anything they feed off the bad press and outrage. Parents are not supposed to like or approve of it. That's part of the reason of why they are popular!

basically just a discussion about the tanking music industry, which inevitably turns into an argument about good music vs bad music. :)

Oh, if you think you have bad music you should take a little look at Brazilian Pop Music sometimes, Britney Spears will sound like Mozart

If they come to a Jay-Z show and aren't expecting any of that, well THAT's ignorant.

QUOTE]

They're not coming to a jay-Z show, they're coming to a coldplay show.

and I'm not hating on anybody I'm stating what I consider to be ignorant. If you classify ignorance as something else than you have every right to do so.

Hey guys guess what. If you think the thread is stupid, or that other people's thoughts and ideas don't match up to your infinite wisdom, then you don't have to read it or post in it.

Your thoughts and ideas are incompatible with my infinite wisdom

If they come to a Jay-Z show and aren't expecting any of that, well THAT's ignorant.

QUOTE]

They're not coming to a jay-Z show, they're coming to a coldplay show.

and I'm not hating on anybody I'm stating what I consider to be ignorant. If you classify ignorance as something else than you have every right to do so.

Is Coldplay is playing the whole curse-ridden song? If not then no biggee. If he's doing a couple lines sans f-bombs then be glad he doesn't do the whole thing. Why get wound up about a hip-hop artist?

regarding "ignorant"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk]"IGNORANT"[/ame]

Sometimes an f-bomb fits perfectly in a song, especially a rock song, see..the strokes - barely legal, nothing wrong with some profanity (Especially at a live show, even if it's the fray anyone who complains about the artists language onstage or whatever needs to grow up). Profanity can enhance anger or any emotion the artist is trying to display, as well as their display of passion at a particular gig. I'm not a huge rap fan, but the cursing doesn't de-value it...I also think I've stopped trying to define good music as well, I like rock type music, I'm picky, I don't understand how anyone could like country, beiber, or nickelback but obviously people do so good on them. No matter how bad I think some music is an artist will always get at least a small amount of respect from me if they write the lyrics and musics themselves, even if the result is something i would never listen too. Those that don't, I have no time to hear anything they have to say about their supposed "art".

Sometimes an f-bomb fits perfectly in a song, especially a rock song, see..the strokes - barely legal, nothing wrong with some profanity (Especially at a live show, even if it's the fray anyone who complains about the artists language onstage or whatever needs to grow up). Profanity can enhance anger or any emotion the artist is trying to display, as well as their display of passion at a particular gig. I'm not a huge rap fan, but the cursing doesn't de-value it...I also think I've stopped trying to define good music as well, I like rock type music, I'm picky, I don't understand how anyone could like country, beiber, or nickelback but obviously people do so good on them. No matter how bad I think some music is an artist will always get at least a small amount of respect from me if they write the lyrics and musics themselves, even if the result is something i would never listen too. Those that don't, I have no time to hear anything they have to say about their supposed "art".

It's not just the cursing. sure an f bomb fits in well every now and then, Little Lion Man, Some Nights, etc. it's the crudeness of the first lyric i posted and then there's the verse that just completely demeans women. (it's just a little of the cursing)