✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay vs. The World of Music

Hello there my Coldplay brothers and sisters...

I wanted to ask real and true Coldplay fans what they thought about this, its something I came across reading after watching OneRepublic's music video for "Mercy", on YouTube.. and there's quite the debate going on about 'good' and 'bad' music.

This one comment really got my attention... and it got the attention of hundreds of other people too.. it had over 250 thumbs up with a lot of replies to it.

Here's the comment:

"I agree with everyone having their own taste in music, but lets be honest here Niki minaj, Skrillex, Wiz kahlifa are bringing down the music industry. What happend to music being meaningfull, Niki minaj pretty much just abuses people and talks about shit, wiz kahlifa talks about smoking weed, and skrillex talks about wub wub wika wika wubbdy wub wub. Whereas artists like, Maroon five, One republic, Linken Park are falling into the background. Luckily we have bands like fun and Coldplay."

-magmortarman

Replies to that comment:

"True people or groups like the ones u listed may have "lower class", they still may appeal to a large group of people...its all a matter of perspective

me myself am a small fan of skrillex, and i understand where people are coming from regarding music/artists like that. But for some people (who may or may not have very good taste in music) that is literally "music to their ears". Everybody has their tastes and their opinions and are entitled to them. I'm well connected to the music world. i luv to sing, i play instruments, etc. (i cant dance yet tho:P). And i have a wide range of music that i luv from stuff like classical to stuff like Skrillex. So it depends on the type of person u r and ur tastes...thats wut generally defines music. the same song can sound different to 2 different people..."

-MrPorkchop321

"I love to listen to music. If it's good, I'll listen to it, regardless who the artists is. I love One Republic, Nikki Minaj (listen to her song: Marilyn Monroe, it might change your mind), Maroon Five (favorite was: She will be loved), etc. I agree that some of Nikki's, Shrillez's, or Wiz's albums/debuts/music might not be beautiful, but others are."

-Kristina Yin

"Sorry Dude, But let's be practical Even the honking of horn is music

Artists like Niki minaj, Skrillex, WIz Khalifa are not killing music they are just creating a new breed of music.

I agree they Don't make any sense but music is music in whatever for even if it's weed, wub wub or abusing people.

Artists like Linkin Park, OneRepublic Coldplay and many more are not falling..

They are just creating new standards for new commers."

-409Hit

"Everyone is wired up differently and some people are effected by different music. For me, I like songs with no lyrics. I like to make meaning of the song myself. Most artist sing about their experiences, most of which I can't relate too. So I like Trance/Progressive house with ambient noises, and smoothing synths. Makes my mind travel to a better place.

I like Wiz too because I smoke weed often and can relate to his songs. So therefore, you can't say some artist don't deserve their success."

-DoubleScotchNeat

For me it just makes you want to ask, what is music really coming to these days if this is how people talk about it...

I hope you all can agree with me saying that I feel blessed and so happy that there's a really popular well-known band around the world that has amazing, clean, beautiful and descent music out there instead of what seems like the same thing over and over again.. with all the dirty, sex rated music. Because I really don't like how its influencing people at all. I will hold on Coldplay with everything I have as my favorite band and shut out all the bad music and continue to be thankful for them. Because I will not be sucked in to that kind of lifestyle or influence that comes from some of the hit songs that are out there right now on the charts. Stand firm all of you true Coldplay fans... we see the world differently.

What do you think is happening to the music industry...is it getting better or worse?

Should we feel blessed/lucky to have good and descent bands like Coldplay still around.. ?

What's considered bad music? And is is having a bad influence on people?

These are the key questions.

It's not getting worse :/ For me, I find that the celebrities that are most popular like 1D justin bieber nicki minaj e.t.c are shit and make my ear bleed, but i can't be bothered to go round purposely hating on them. but there are really good bands that are new, like Foster The People and noah and the whale.

this is my hypothesis

good bands start off small, maybe one single getting in to the top 20 and the get better with time and experience and 10 years later, they are the biggest band in the world.

people who get famous straight away are usually bad and people will forget about them in at most 4 years.

so i say wait, be patient it will get better

(and Im a sucker for soft rock)

A lot of this is a generational shift TBH. When people get older a batch of musicians come around and often younger groups of people fall in love with music that's a little different then what came before it.

Madonna leads to Gaga leads to Niki Minaj

Skream leads to Skrillex

Bjork leads to Postal Service leads to Owl City

Sasha leads to Deadmau5

Joy Division leads to Interpol

None of these are really big shifts in style but if anything they represent how having a different generation of music fans, different musical styles becoming popular again often lead to criticism by those who were used to what came before. Instead of "music is getting worse" it really translates to "music is changing and i don't like it". Change is constant. Young people fall in love with music that's new and different then what before and rarely from long-standing established artists.

Do i like the current Americanized version of dubstep w/ wobbles, screams, and drops? No, but then again it's not made for me or my generation so why should we not feel its "just noise" until when we learn that maybe we can adjust and tolerate it. ;)

Its kind of like 60's/70's. When disco became popular there were people who complained about the transition, but disco kinda faded away and over time people remember The Beatles over some disco fad... And in a couple decades I think the current pop stars like 1D, Justin Bieber, etc... Will be forgotten, and hopefully bands like Coldplay will be remembered

Niki minaj pretty much just abuses people and talks about shit, wiz kahlifa talks about smoking weed, and skrillex talks about wub wub wika wika wubbdy wub wub. Whereas artists like, Maroon five, One republic, Linken Park are falling into the background. Luckily we have bands like fun and Coldplay."

Personally, I think ALL those bands suck. (or, in Coldplay's case, have just gone down a really sour path) Granted, most of this is for sound reasons. We're talking lyrical content? Okay, here's my take on lyrical content.

There have been "dirty" lyrics since the dawn of rock and roll. Maybe most of them didn't drop f-bombs every line, but the subject matter has always been the same. Punk bands in the 70's and 80's, the grunge movement in the 90's, and even some contemporary artists who sound "innocent" have some very edgy content, talking about drugs, sex, and suicide in almost every song. The content in music isn't new or different. The PRESENTATION is.

You had the Sex Pistols and all their issues both musically and personally. You had Nirvana's depressing content, ultimately ending in Kurt's own suicide. You had Rage Against the Machine singing about killing cops and politicians and they even got arrested themselves. Heck, even the Red Hot Chili Peppers - who are still currently relevant - sang about doing cocaine in their earlier hits.

If we're talking SOUND, I could get into a whole different debate on that. Basically my bottom line on that is that while Skrillex and Nikki Minaj are creating a musically poor movement, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, and even Coldplay are just as guilty. Yeah, like I said, that would be a whole another 10 paragraphs from me. :laugh3:

Basically my bottom line on that is that while Skrillex and Nikki Minaj are creating a musically poor movement

no way! Skrillex and Nicki Minaj are two of the only mainstream/pop artists who actually have an interesting, new and original sound. While i like Coldplay, they haven't done anything super interesting in a long time (not saying this is a bad thing, sometimes it's good to stick with what you know sounds good...)

People really turn a blind eye to mainstream artists...the assume they have no talent and are just churning out the same shit everytime. This is true in a lot of ways. The new Nicki Minaj album has 3-4 terrible songs that sound exactly the same as everything else shes ever done, and you know what? these are the ones that were the most popular. In order to be a popular artist you have to have songs that will appeal to a big audience. This doesnt mean the artists don't have good songs...

tbh, Nicki Minaj is one of the best rappers of the past 10 years. Probably the best female rapper I've ever heard. You might not like the stuff that she raps about, but it's all about context isn't it? She grew up listening to music pretty similar to her own. Why should she clean up her act if this is what she is??

As for Skrillex, he's an insanely talented producer. Even some of the big names who pretty much invented dubstep (an entirely different sound than what you probably think of as dubstep) like Skream and Benga are aware of this. People are under the assumption that creating electronic music is just clicking a few buttons then you're done. That's not true. He probably spent hours and hours and hours, only working on one bass sound.

I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore, I'm no good at ranting...but the point is pop music is pop music. the stuff you hear is popular because they've pretty much manufactured it to appeal to the masses. This doesn't mean that the individual artists involved aren't talented...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ApuklExLA]Nicki Minaj's Verse " Monster " - YouTube[/ame]

here's an incredible Nicki Minaj verse. It's a little disappointing that she's popular for her average/manufactured/pop work but this verse is one of the best verses...ever...

Well I like to look at good music vs bad music as a matter of how much respect I have for the artist. There's artists I don't like but that I respect a lot. Now me respecting an artist comes down to whether I would classify them as intelligent or ignorant. Artists like Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga who have no respect for themselves and put out shallow pop music that deals with little else than sex, I would classify as ignorant. I also don't have much respect for artists who don't write their own music like One Direction and Big Time Rush, although I would like to think that their fanbase is only directed towards 7 year old girls, my high school friends sadly prove me wrong. Now I would describe an intelligent artist as someone who writes music in a way that relates and is meaningful to THEM rather than their fans. Someone who actually thinks deeply about their lyrics and tries to produce an emotion from their listener. Someone who doesn't write singles for the radio but rather a complete album with songs that they don't care if they ever get played because they're proud of them.

I would say right now some of the most intelligent artists out their are Arcade Fire, MGMT, and Radiohead. (No not even Coldplay. Maybe at one time, but collaborations with Rihanna, shout outs to One Direction, and the playing of 99 Problems before the shows have caused me to lose a lot of respect for them, even though I am still a huge fan. I think Chris has a little bit of Bono in him now where hes trying to please everyone rather than himself. I'm still not sure whether its just him or the entire band :/)

No matter what anyone says, music influences your way of thinking!!!!! Chose intelligence over ignorance and, as my father says, DEMAND MORE FROM YOUR ART!!!!!!!

(No not even Coldplay. Maybe at one time, but collaborations with Rihanna, shout outs to One Direction, and the playing of 99 Problems before the shows have caused me to lose a lot of respect for them, even though I am still a huge fan. I think Chris has a little bit of Bono in him now where hes trying to please everyone rather than himself. I'm still not sure whether its just him or the entire band :/)

really? I have a lot of respect for Chris because of those things you mentioned. He's one of the few people in 'rock' music who actually seems like a real person. Why do you think that he's trying to please everyone rather than himself?? There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking pop music. You seem pretty ignorant...

also what's wrong with 99 Problems? i love that song

In my opinion, music is like a candy store. There's something for everyone.

Just like you would have Candy Canes, Bubble Gum, Wraps, Jelly Babies, Snakes, Lollipops, Sours, Chocolate Bars, etc.

You would have The Temper Trap, Linkin Park, Muse, Coldplay, 30 Seconds To Mars, The Offspring, Sigur Rós, Underworld, The Living Tombstone, K'naan, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Jack White, The xx, will.i.am, Fergie and The Black Eyed Peas, Skrillex, Mogwai, Madonna, Nickelback, Lady Gaga, P!nk, Florence + The Machine, Katy Perry, Green Day, Radiohead, Nelly Furtado, Apparatjik, The Strokes, etc.

My point is, not everyone will like the same candy. Nor will one like every single candy.

To be honest, people should open their minds more to explore other bands and acts, genres and music and understand what it is about and where their real talent is, because in my opinion every genre and artist is different.

People say Lady Gaga is crap because her songs lack meaning and she focuses too much on presentation. Songs like "Speechless", "Princess Die", and hell nearly all of Born this Way reflects her views on life and how she deals with them. The dresses and mad stage shows are part of the magic of Lady gaga - she's crazy and that's the best part about her.

People say Nickelback is shit because they write about sex, drugs and rock and roll, and nearly every song is the same. Believe it or not, nearly all of Nickelback's back catalog are ballads and experimental songs, and not heavy, provocative songs. Nickelback are a great rock band because Chad and his band have such great personalities and aren't over the top like 90% of the rock acts today. They are generic because that's their style, to write rock music and make a decent living of it, not to go hyper like Muse for example (although i'm definitely not against Muse being over the top!)

In Conclusion, Candy will always have it's special part, and whether or not people will recognize it, is entirely up to the person tasting it. What's important is that each candy has a sweet spot that not everyone will get into.

I don't think the music is getting worse. People's tastes in music are.

If people had better taste in music, artists like 1D, Bieber and Nicki Minaj won't be getting so much airplay and dominating charts. That's my opinion anyway.

But I don't listen to the radio anymore so it doesn't really bother me. Thank goodness for Spotify.

I listen to a lot of music of all genres, but I, perhaps obviously, don't like any of that radio pop stuff. When I tell people what kind of music I listen to they say I'm stupid for not liking Lil Wayne or top 40 peolpe or whatever. I used to, politely, try to introduce people to bands like Coldplay and be like "Well, even though we don't like the same music maybe you'll like this band" but every time I did that they'd would just insult me and would never take me up on my offer. So now I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to share musical interests with people. I've found a few people who like a lot of the same music as me, and even though we disagree on some points, we can all respect eachother's point of view.

There are so many different sounds. I mean, every band has a different sound. Different influences for different members, different genres. I understand that some people may really like Justin Bieber. Why should I care? The way I see it, people can like whatever they want as long as they let others like what they want. People like us will just have to dig deeper for bands that will interest us. When my dad was my age all the kids were listening to disco, but he went down to differnt parts of the city and found punk. There's stuff out there for every one, it's just sometimes hard to find. Consider Coldplay your entering point. Dig deeper in that direction and you'll realize there are alot of bands out there to enjoy:)

/pointlessrant:P

really? I have a lot of respect for Chris because of those things you mentioned. He's one of the few people in 'rock' music who actually seems like a real person. Why do you think that he's trying to please everyone rather than himself?? There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking pop music. You seem pretty ignorant...

also what's wrong with 99 Problems? i love that song

See this is why it's so hard to approach a delicate subject like this. It's so easy to offend people. WHAT'S WRONG WITH 99 PROBLEMS?????????? Well nothing if you consider playing lyrics such as...

"You'd be celebrating the minute you was havin' dough

I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole"

"Now once upon a time not too long ago

A ***** like myself had to strong arm a hoe

This is not a hoe in the sense of havin a pussy

But a pussy havin no God Damn sense, try and push me"

appropriate to play at a concert where there's kids as young as infants. Not to mention that second verse is just demeaning to women...

If you don't find that ignorant than you may have the wrong definition of the word... :)

^ but what if I just want to? :rolleyes:

What the hell is this about, to many long posts to read, can somebody summarize it?

basically just a discussion about the tanking music industry, which inevitably turns into an argument about good music vs bad music. :)