• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First word that got my attention and might be a homophone: swallow

Swallowed in the sea?

edit:

and it has references to the sea (grains of sand - ebb and flow - azure depths)

No....

You will find A LOT of Coldplay-related terms in this paragraph - don't let it confuse your mind :)

Reading this text is giving me a headache. :)

According to my poor English knowledge the only homophone word that I can find (and makes any sense to me) is the swallow.

Another song which I can relate to that is Wedding bells?

I can't give you a page number but if you go to the URL in the riddle, you have to click on the several links.

1. Volume IV

2. Book Third

3. Chapter III

last paragraph :

[ATTACH=full]3987[/ATTACH]

In text form so you can copy it:

Algebra is applied to the clouds; the radiation of the star profits the rose; no thinker would venture to affirm that the perfume of the hawthorn is useless to the constellations. Who, then, can calculate the course of a molecule? How do we know that the creation of worlds is not determined by the fall of grains of sand? Who knows the reciprocal ebb and flow of the infinitely great and the infinitely little, the reverberations of causes in the precipices of being, and the avalanches of creation? The tiniest worm is of importance; the great is little, the little is great; everything is balanced in necessity; alarming vision for the mind. There are marvellous relations between beings and things; in that inexhaustible whole, from the sun to the grub, nothing despises the other; all have need of each other. The light does not bear away terrestrial perfumes into the azure depths, without knowing what it is doing; the night distributes stellar essences to the sleeping flowers. All birds that fly have round their leg the thread of the infinite. Germination is complicated with the bursting forth of a meteor and with the peck of a swallow cracking its egg, and it places on one level the birth of an earthworm and the advent of Socrates. Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two possesses the larger field of vision? Choose. A bit of mould is a pleiad of flowers; a nebula is an ant-hill of stars. The same promiscuousness, and yet more unprecedented, exists between the things of the intelligence and the facts of substance. Elements and principles mingle, combine, wed, multiply with each other, to such a point that the material and the moral world are brought eventually to the same clearness. The phenomenon is perpetually returning upon itself. In the vast cosmic exchanges the universal life goes and comes in unknown quantities, rolling entirely in the invisible mystery of effluvia, employing everything, not losing a single dream, not a single slumber, sowing an animalcule here, crumbling to bits a planet there, oscillating and winding, making of light a force and of thought an element, disseminated and invisible, dissolving all, except that geometrical point, the I; bringing everything back to the soul-atom; expanding everything in God, entangling all activity, from summit to base, in the obscurity of a dizzy mechanism, attaching the flight of an insect to the movement of the earth, subordinating, who knows? Were it only by the identity of the law, the evolution of the comet in the firmament to the whirling of the infusoria in the drop of water. A machine made of mind. Enormous gearing, the prime motor of which is the gnat, and whose final wheel is the zodiac.

• Like 2

Germination is complicated with the bursting forth of a meteor and with the peck of a swallow cracking its egg,

This sentence reminds me Charlie Brown:

Be a bright red rose come bursting the concrete

This really makes sense!

Not UATW...

I really love your idea, @alisbe ! But unfortunately that's not what I meant. As I said, there are plenty of words (bird, stars, crumbling, rolling, planet, clouds, ....to name just a few) in this paragraph that could relate to various Coldplay songs. Here is a good hint that should lead you to the answer: We're looking for a phrase that sounds almost exactly like a Coldplay line (homophonous).

• Like 1

Yes ! You got it. I always thought "in the telescope lens" really sounds similar to "where the telescope ends".

I chose this riddle because I really like that paragraph, it is so imaginative and vivid in its description and juxtapositions of things that make up the world. I think it really is somewhat similar in theme to Speed Of Sound :)

Also, I wanted to advertise the really magnificent book this is from. My all-time favourite.

Your turn, Nie ! :)

• Like 1

Really? :D

My first guess out of 3 phrases that I think that could have fitted.

Speed of sound: And birds go flying / all birds that fly

How you see the world: it's complicated / is complicated.

Ok, I have something in mind but it needs a little preparation.

• Like 1