✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Explosions rock Boston

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Terrorism: mass murder commited by muslim.

This post is a joke right? Especially the Muslim aspect. You could say that the Oklahoma City Bombing was an act of Terrorism and the guy wasn't Musilim.

My point is where is the line drawn? When do you say "yes you get Miranda rights" or "no you don't". My point is there needs to be an equal playing field regardless of who it is. We gave trials to Nazi war criminals...

But 'Muslim' is somewhat irrelevant. Yes, two Muslims committed the act, but terrorism is terrorism, regardless of religion, race, etc.

This post is a joke right? Especially the Muslim aspect. You could say that the Oklahoma City Bombing was an act of Terrorism and the guy wasn't Musilim.

I know but it seems to me that it's what most people think.

Noam Chomsky goes over list of War Crimes for which US presidents are responsible - YouTube[/url]

(Slightly off topic - the video, not your point)

I don't disagree... there's so many things the US has done around the world that is terrible. For example currently I'm extremely against the use of drone strikes... look how many children have been killed! Of course being a major power, somehow it makes the country exempt from bad things it's done. I'm not saying it's right but unfortunately it's the way it is.

What is your take on this guy and his miranda rights?

I just read on text-TV that the 19-year-old might not be able to speak - he has wounds around the neck (speculation of attempted suicide at his arrest). We might never be able to hear his version of events. Most of all I would like to hear why the 2 guys did this.

Yesterday on TV2 News it was said that the 2 boys did this all alone - they were not part of a group - no helpers. Is this reliable? I am sorry, but I am not convinced of this.

The eldest brother was back in East Europe (maybe in Dagestan or Tchecnia) last year for some time - maybe months - doing what (receiving training and the like OR just visiting relatives)?

They were at least inspired by earlier events (and the eldest brother may have been receiving some kind of guidance, if not actual training) as I see it.

If the FBI / police can never communicate with the youngest surviving brother, then we might never learn the truth, but must rely on speculation from official sources. The most likely outcome.

Just read through some of his tweets. Really creepy. Seems like terrible foreshadowing mixed with mindless, stupid, normal tweets about daily life.

The tweets since the initial bombings appeared to be an attempt to blend in with all the other 'stay safe everyone' tweets, as an attempt to look innocent. But everything else is quite bizarre. I looked through his pictures, and there was one saying something like 'death doesn't ask us when we're ready' or something similar.

On a side-note, he did get a damn cute kitten last year.

I just read on text-TV that the 19-year-old might not be able to speak - he has wounds around the neck (speculation of attempted suicide at his arrest). We might never be able to hear his version of events. Most of all I would like to hear why the 2 guys did this.

he may not be able to speak anymore but that certainly doesn't hamper his ability to write. Written testimony of what exactly he did is also sufficient in the eventuality of his COMPLETELY losing his power of speech...although i think that one may still have to verify some of it.

we shouldn't lose hope...we may still find out his reasons.

i wonder what the motive behind his attempted suicide is...is it for the purpose of keeping quiet or is it because of remorse?

I saw the TV footage: A robot removing the "blanket" covering him then 2 explosions (it was said that they shot against him - maybe from the helicopter. So I do not know whether the wound in the neck was actually the result of an attempted suicide.

Time will show whether we will ever learn the truth. My guess is that NO we will never have the young man's version / explanation.

I don't disagree... there's so many things the US has done around the world that is terrible. For example currently I'm extremely against the use of drone strikes... look how many children have been killed! Of course being a major power, somehow it makes the country exempt from bad things it's done. I'm not saying it's right but unfortunately it's the way it is.

What is your take on this guy and his miranda rights?

To be honest I'd never even heard of them. When people are arrested in the UK they are warned that they are being arrested and that they have the right to remain silent and anything they do say may be given in evidence. It's standard protocol of an arrest. It's like you're not getting arrested until they start running all of their little speech off. Are the miranda rights any different to that? Something specific to terrorism? I would google further (just read the first few sentences on Wiki) but don't really have the time this second, sorry.

The tweets since the initial bombings appeared to be an attempt to blend in with all the other 'stay safe everyone' tweets, as an attempt to look innocent. But everything else is quite bizarre. I looked through his pictures, and there was one saying something like 'death doesn't ask us when we're ready' or something similar.

On a side-note, he did get a damn cute kitten last year.

Where are his tweets? Anyone got a link?

Where are his tweets? Anyone got a link?

https://twitter.com/J_tsar

His last tweet is certainly sort of odd.

I saw the TV footage: A robot removing the "blanket" covering him then 2 explosions (it was said that they shot against him - maybe from the helicopter. So I do not know whether the wound in the neck was actually the result of an attempted suicide.

Time will show whether we will ever learn the truth. My guess is that NO we will never have the young man's version / explanation.

They'll get information out of him -- as long as he survives his injuries. (Which I'm sure he will.) CNN reported earlier that some sort of questioning had already been going on, even with his injury. I guess we'll just have to wait it out.

Agreed, I cringe every time I hear it.

The idea of a nation state being something to rally behind in blind love is an absurd one in this day in age. There are faults in absolutely every nation on the planet (as there always has been). Very dangerous faults. Diversity should be key, so people should not be able to agree on everything (but they should disagree, ideally, in a constructive way), so chants about ideals would be more understandable. Vacuous chanting of the name of a nation's name only serves to diminish inclusivity and make things into an 'us and them' scenario. Just shouting a country's name means nothing and serves to pretend as though everything is fine. Every nation has good and bad people in it, and everyone is indebted to their nation for how it has shaped them. Simple chanting just really makes me lose faith in people as active participants in political discourse and humanitarian efforts around the world which transcends mere borders.

To be honest I'd never even heard of them. When people are arrested in the UK they are warned that they are being arrested and that they have the right to remain silent and anything they do say may be given in evidence. It's standard protocol of an arrest. It's like you're not getting arrested until they start running all of their little speech off. Are the miranda rights any different to that? Something specific to terrorism? I would google further (just read the first few sentences on Wiki) but don't really have the time this second, sorry.

Yeah basically it's that. They read the person who is being arrested the right to remain silent since what they say can be used against them in a court and get a lawyer. However the feds in this scenario felt that it wasn't necessary to do this.

The USA chant is probably the worst cultural phenomenon on this planet, just above genital mutilation.

Agreed, I cringe every time I hear it.

The idea of a nation state being something to rally behind in blind love is an absurd one in this day in age. There are faults in absolutely every nation on the planet (as there always has been). Very dangerous faults. Diversity should be key, so people should not be able to agree on everything (but they should disagree, ideally, in a constructive way), so chants about ideals would be more understandable. Vacuous chanting of the name of a nation's name only serves to diminish inclusivity and make things into an 'us and them' scenario. Just shouting a country's name means nothing and serves to pretend as though everything is fine. Every nation has good and bad people in it, and everyone is indebted to their nation for how it has shaped them. Simple chanting just really makes me lose faith in people as active participants in political discourse and humanitarian efforts around the world which transcends mere borders.

I agree I can't stand hearing that chant, it's cringe worthy and is completely empty. If people knew a lot of that atrocities that all countries commit against other people I'm sure they might think twice about saying that, or probably not.

Yeah basically it's that. They read the person who is being arrested the right to remain silent since what they say can be used against them in a court and get a lawyer. However the feds in this scenario felt that it wasn't necessary to do this.

I agree I can't stand hearing that chant, it's cringe worthy and is completely empty. If people knew a lot of that atrocities that all countries commit against other people I'm sure they might think twice about saying that, or probably not.

That's an unusual one. In what circumstances is it deemed not necessary to read a person their rights upon arrest? I'm guessing there are some since this debate is now underway in your country.

It's the same as the support the troops propaganda. Completely vacuous and often (but not solely) used to demean criticism and questioning of the legitimacy of much of the warfare that takes place. Nobody can disagree with 'support the troops' because nobody wants the people who are fighting for their country to be hurt. Well, I imagine some people may, but they are a different matter altogether. But it gets to a stage where questioning things is seen as unpatriotic. And that's a dangerous position to get into. Constructive criticism and reasonable questioning should never be discouraged. For the benefit of the people.

That's an unusual one. In what circumstances is it deemed not necessary to read a person their rights upon arrest? I'm guessing there are some since this debate is now underway in your country.

It's the same as the support the troops propaganda. Completely vacuous and often (but not solely) used to demean criticism and questioning of the legitimacy of much of the warfare that takes place. Nobody can disagree with 'support the troops' because nobody wants the people who are fighting for their country to be hurt. Well, I imagine some people may, but they are a different matter altogether. But it gets to a stage where questioning things is seen as unpatriotic. And that's a dangerous position to get into. Constructive criticism and reasonable questioning should never be discouraged. For the benefit of the people.

Exactly my point! Where is the line drawn? Unfortunately I feel for a good portion of people in this country they are way too idle and don't care about this kind of thing because of the mentality of it "keeping us safe". This goes the same with things like the patriot act/wire-tapping and the NDAA (which above all may be one of the scariest pieces of legislation... I'm not sure if you know about it).

I agree with that as well. The phrase support the troops really just seems like you support the war machine to kill people around the world. Personally I support that people who choose to be in the military stay safe and are unharmed, much as I support innocent civilians to stay safe and unharmed. I don't support the idea of killing people, which that phrase really kind of means.

Exactly my point! Where is the line drawn? Unfortunately I feel for a good portion of people in this country they are way too idle and don't care about this kind of thing because of the mentality of it "keeping us safe". This goes the same with things like the patriot act/wire-tapping and the NDAA (which above all may be one of the scariest pieces of legislation... I'm not sure if you know about it).

I agree with that as well. The phrase support the troops really just seems like you support the war machine to kill people around the world. Personally I support that people who choose to be in the military stay safe and are unharmed, much as I support innocent civilians to stay safe and unharmed. I don't support the idea of killing people, which that phrase really kind of means.

I've not heard of that. There's a few scary things that have been passed over the last few decades.

Indeed. You should be able to hope for the welfare of all people whilst also looking objectively (as much as you can given limited information available) at the conflicts that are taking place and the motivation behind the actions.

I've not heard of that. There's a few scary things that have been passed over the last few decades.

Indeed. You should be able to hope for the welfare of all people whilst also looking objectively (as much as you can given limited information available) at the conflicts that are taking place and the motivation behind the actions.

this will give you some insight into the history of miranda rights.

The NDAA gives the government to the ability to indefinitely put someone deemed a "terrorist" (very generic term in general) in jail without a trail/due process.