✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kids Company eBay auctions

Tash

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the MX auction. We and <a href="https://twitter.com/KidsCompanyUK">@KidsCompanyUK</a> are very grateful. CM</p>— Coldplay (@coldplay) <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplay/statuses/402205079580594176">November 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question on Will's tom:

It says it's from the Wembley stadium gig, but I thought they didn't play there last year? :\ The three regular London gigs were at Emirates, and the paraolympics one was at the new olympic stadium right? Did they play Wembley some other time?

Question on Will's tom:

It says it's from the Wembley stadium gig, but I thought they didn't play there last year? :\ The three regular London gigs were at Emirates, and the paraolympics one was at the new olympic stadium right? Did they play Wembley some other time?

Capital FM Summertime Ball, 9 June 2012

That tom might have been specifically painted/created for the Capital FM Summertime Ball gig at Wembley since they had two gigs that day one being in London and other being in Manchester - so while Will's drum-kit was in Manchester that day for the Ethiad gig..his second kit was probably en route to States as Manchester was the last European show before they started touring America.

Who? :whip:

The guy who's jacket I apparently bought. I don't really care much about the band, all I know is that Jimmy made it sound like a good investment. Hopefully I can price gouge someone who has more money than sense into buying it from me in a couple of years.

The guy who's jacket I apparently bought. I don't really care much about the band, all I know is that Jimmy made it sound like a good investment. Hopefully I can price gouge someone who has more money than sense into buying it from me in a couple of years.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes: While these things are popular with fans of the band, they're not really destined to become super high end collectables of rock history or anything like that.

With all do respect, what kind of fan are you? Are you even considered a fan? Yes it was nice of you to donate funds to Kids company, but then go around and sell it to someone for more? That's bad.

:|

No. That's capitalism.

It's not even good capitalism though. With the money you spent, you could've bought some sort of real investment, that would give you some sort of tangible asset growth. Instead, you got a shirt that may or may not be worth more than you bought it for someday provided you can actually find the right fan to sell it to. Collectables (in general) are one of the very worst things you can invest in (from a ROI standpoint).

oh seriously? also, very nice idea to say this on a Coldplay forum...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>The MX tour auctions raised an amazing £33,820 for <a href="https://twitter.com/KidsCompanyUK">@KidsCompanyUK</a> - <a href="http://t.co/oppNP1bA4Y">http://t.co/oppNP1bA4Y</a> A</p>— Coldplay (@coldplay) <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplay/statuses/402482311838846977">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

goodbyewillsdrumwewillmissyou.jpg

MX auctions raise £33,820 for Kids Company!

18 November 2013 4:53 pm

Auctions of tour outfits and instruments make great total

news_line.png

auctions.jpg

Good evening. We're very pleased to report that the auctions of the band's Mylo Xyloto tour instruments and outfits have raised an incredible £33,820. All proceeds will go to Kids Company's work with disadvantaged young people in London and Bristol.

Said Chris in a tweet after the auctions ended: "Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the MX auction. We and Kids Company are very grateful. (Clearly we have the world's greatest fans, but shhhh don't tell anyone)"

Remember, you can still bid for tickets for the Under 1 Roof show for Kids Company in London on 19 December by clicking here. Or, if you're in the UK, you can buy a raffle ticket for £1 to be in with a chance of winning VIP passes.

Anchorman

It's not even good capitalism though. With the money you spent, you could've bought some sort of real investment, that would give you some sort of tangible asset growth. Instead, you got a shirt that may or may not be worth more than you bought it for someday provided you can actually find the right fan to sell it to. Collectables (in general) are one of the very worst things you can invest in (from a ROI standpoint).

Ever heard of a tax write-off? This shirt was free for me. If I sell it for even $1, I'll make a profit.

Due to all the backlash I've received from all of you, I can honestly say that I will NEVER contribute to another charity backed by Coldplay. Next time I'll keep the money to myself and won't drive up the prices so that kids with cancer (or whatever it was) don't get as much money. How does it feel to take cash straight out of the pockets of kids' charities?

Ever heard of a tax write-off? This shirt was free for me. If I sell it for even $1, I'll make a profit.

Due to all the backlash I've received from all of you, I can honestly say that I will NEVER contribute to another charity backed by Coldplay. Next time I'll keep the money to myself and won't drive up the prices so that kids with cancer (or whatever it was) don't get as much money. How does it feel to take cash straight out of the pockets of kids' charities?

I haven't read the previous posts but that particular one sounds quite silly to me.

Like, wow.

It makes you sound like someone who cares way too much about what people think. In this post, I feel that people's opinion is the main reason you donate, because negative reactions make you decide not to donate again. That's really sad.

I hope you'll at least still consider donating to other, not-Coldplay-related charities. :)

Good day to you, sir :nice:

In regard to U.S. tax write-offs for charitable purposes:

• The deduction is taken off your taxable income, not dollar-for-dollar against your tax payment. So, in general you would get something like 20% of (the value of) your donation back.

• In addition, I'm not sure that the whole amount could be considered a deduction for charitable purposes; you did receive merchandise after all. There might be some sort of formula that the IRS uses to determine the "difference" though... I'm not positive.

• Regardless of the above two notes... deductions for charitable donations apply only to charities that exist/operate in the United States. Kids Company does not, so you're not going to get any kind of deduction whatsoever. (And if you doubt this, you can take it from experience because I acquired something from another Coldplay-sponsored Kids Company auction a few years ago.)

Just wanted to give you to the heads up. :nice:

Feel free to sell it to me for $1 lol

So concerned for the kids but doesn't even know what kind of work the charity does. Please, don't even try to say you give two shits about any charity. You are looking to make a buck, end of. Not sure why you signed up to a forum of a band you don't care about but if it is to "price gouge" anyone here just know we don't allow that here be it tickets or merch.

What "backlash?" :rolleyes: To the extent that people took issue with you, it was mostly about you're not knowing about the band and posting here. It had nothing to do with the fact that you bought a shirt in the charity auction. Collectables are a horrid investment, but if you were going to do it, the only items in this auction that have a reasonable chance of increasing or even retaining value were the instruments (though the vintage instrument market is a bubble market right now as well.) At least you'd have something of a chance to sell a guitar a few years down the line.

I honestly don't care what you do, but I doubt you are any kind of serious investor based on your posts here. So...bid in the future or don't bid, but I hardly think the auction will miss you if you choose to go, and frankly, if you are in it for the money, your money will be working a lot harder for you elsewhere.

In regard to U.S. tax write-offs for charitable purposes:

• The deduction is taken off your taxable income, not dollar-for-dollar against your tax payment. So, in general you would get something like 20% of (the value of) your donation back.
  • In addition, I'm not sure that the whole amount could be considered a deduction for charitable purposes; you did receive merchandise after all. There might be some sort of formula that the IRS uses to determine the "difference" though... I'm not positive.
  • Regardless of the above two notes... deductions for charitable donations apply only to charities that exist/operate in the United States. Kids Company does not, so you're not going to get any kind of deduction whatsoever. (And if you doubt this, you can take it from experience because I acquired something from another Coldplay-sponsored Kids Company auction a few years ago.)

Just wanted to give you to the heads up. :nice:

'

In general, if you receive goods or services as a direct result of your donation, it renders it a sale and not charitable giving for tax purposes, though one can receive gifts in appreciation of said donation. It all gets a bit complicated. But yeah, a UK based charity without a recognized US analog would be wholly ineligible anyway, so the point is moot.

Seeing the Chris Martin smashed telecaster was a bit surprising to me... I actually bought one at a previous auction for Hurricane Sandy Relief... and mine was the exact one in the YouTube video link that they posted in this auction (the features were identical, paint on the fretboard, tape around the headstock, black tape on the body as well... the one they just sold is a bit different). So I'm a little disappointed that in both auctions they kinda positioned it as if it were a one-and-only guitar that was smashed every time, but it seems there were several models used on tour, mixing and matching the bodies, pick guards, etc. ... at least two have been sold now. hopefully more don't surface later?? :/ Anyway, Coldplay were really great about mine, sent a certificate of authenticity and a personal letter signed by everyone in the band, including some little cartoon drawings for me from Chris :)

mine:

GuitarBlackFB.jpg

Seeing the Chris Martin smashed telecaster was a bit surprising to me... I actually bought one at a previous auction for Hurricane Sandy Relief... and mine was the exact one in the YouTube video link that they posted in this auction (the features were identical, paint on the fretboard, tape around the headstock, black tape on the body as well... the one they just sold is a bit different). So I'm a little disappointed that in both auctions they kinda positioned it as if it were a one-and-only guitar that was smashed every time, but it seems there were several models used on tour, mixing and matching the bodies, pick guards, etc. ... at least two have been sold now. hopefully more don't surface later?? :/ Anyway, Coldplay were really great about mine, sent a certificate of authenticity and a personal letter signed by everyone in the band, including some little cartoon drawings for me from Chris :)

There are almost certainly more. A guitar can't survive that kind of abuse without substantial rebuilding, or at least parts-swapping. It has also been mentioned a couple places that Hoppy rebuilt the guitar several times over the course of the tour. Doesn't mean your particular example wasn't a stage used guitar or anything like that though. Whether the remaining examples will ever surface publicly or not though is anyone's guess.