✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What are the most contoversal/outrageous things Chris has said?

Jonny and the cake

I'll start with some of my favourites:

When WPLJ reporter Brad Blanks asked Martin how he felt about having Mariah Carey on his tail, he replied: "She's not, but one of her boobs is. They do most of her work. Last week I was chased down the street by an enormous boob. I think it was hers."

"Not at all!" he tuts. "How can you possibly complain about having a hit single? If somebody likes our song I don't care if it's a Pope or a pauper. I want to shake them by the hand and say, 'good on you, you don't like Mariah Carey and Westlife, you like something good.' That's why it's important to keep ourselves in the limelight - because we've got a war to wage"

"I heard something the other day and it made me feel physically sick," he says in his strangely emphatic way. "It was 'Flying Without Wings' by Westlife. You think, there's a nine-year-old listening to that who could be hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'Paranoid Android' or a Stevie Wonder song or something."

When a woman reporter asked if Martin ever planned to sing a duet with Paltrow, the musician snapped: “What’s your favorite sexual position?”

At one point, Martin reportedly griped that all that matters in music today is that your song becomes a ring tone.

And, according to Folha de Sao Paulo, shortly after Paltrow’s name was mentioned again, Martin stormed out.

Ouuuh good thread!!

Chris also gets weird when the band receives an award and he has to speak. Especially back in the AROBTTH/X&Y eras, he'd mention politics or Oasis and things, right? I don't have exact quotes in mind though.

Meanwhile Coldplay's Chris Martin, who picked up three awards, tried to do a funny. "I think we've got a Brit nomination so this is the only one we're going to win because Craig David's not here and all that. Unless I put cauliflowers on my head, I don't think we're going to win that one." The crowd began to boo.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/awards/history/2001#JFzzbFLqmuXeBrza.99

I'll start with some of my favourites:

When WPLJ reporter Brad Blanks asked Martin how he felt about having Mariah Carey on his tail, he replied: "She's not, but one of her boobs is. They do most of her work. Last week I was chased down the street by an enormous boob. I think it was hers."

"Not at all!" he tuts. "How can you possibly complain about having a hit single? If somebody likes our song I don't care if it's a Pope or a pauper. I want to shake them by the hand and say, 'good on you, you don't like Mariah Carey and Westlife, you like something good.' That's why it's important to keep ourselves in the limelight - because we've got a war to wage"

"I heard something the other day and it made me feel physically sick," he says in his strangely emphatic way. "It was 'Flying Without Wings' by Westlife. You think, there's a nine-year-old listening to that who could be hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'Paranoid Android' or a Stevie Wonder song or something."

When a woman reporter asked if Martin ever planned to sing a duet with Paltrow, the musician snapped: “What’s your favorite sexual position?”

At one point, Martin reportedly griped that all that matters in music today is that your song becomes a ring tone.

And, according to Folha de Sao Paulo, shortly after Paltrow’s name was mentioned again, Martin stormed out.

War to wage? Like to know what he meant by that.

not very controversial but had me in stitches... ir was when he did the interview on Enough Rope with Andrew Denton

"It's funny because when someone insults you, like to your face about your music, the first thing you want to do is pick on something about their appearance. It's a terrible thing but I had this - I don't know why I'm talking about this - but I had this woman the other day who was, for some reason, parked outside our house because she wanted to get something or other. I would never say it to anyone else in the world, but she drove me so crazy that I advised her to go to Weight Watchers, which was, like, a not very nice thing to say and I'm not proud of it. But it's weird how, if you sort of feel like you're being attacked, and you therefore become a real... It's funny because when someone insults you, like to your face about your music, the first thing you want to do is pick on something about their appearance. It's a terrible thing but I had this - I don't know why I'm talking about this - but I had this woman the other day who was, for some reason, parked outside our house because she wanted to get something or other. I would never say it to anyone else in the world, but she drove me so crazy that I advised her to go to Weight Watchers, which was, like, a not very nice thing to say and I'm not proud of it. But it's weird how, if you sort of feel like you're being attacked, and you therefore become a real..."

``I didn't want to be in a band because of the glamor but I always assumed it would be very glamorous. It's not people walking in front of you scattering rose petals, which apparently Mariah Carey has. It's waiting around in little portakabins.

Chris: "I'm convinced we have it in us to write the best album ever made, while Liam Gallagher is forced to resort to advertising Remington shavers on television. Ha! [laughs triumphantly] ...that was my Liam Gallagher diss, by the way."

I love the few times Chris mocks other people

Chris: "I don’t care if people think I have sex with badgers."

Interviewer: "Has Bono got back to you about mentioning his 'weave'?"

Chris: "That was blatantly a joke. If I were to say half of Westlife have got false legs, you wouldn't believe me. But that is, in fact, true. Thats why they can't move properly!"

Interviewer: "If you could ban one fruit, which fruit would it be?"

Chris: "Simon Cowell."

But in an interview with Q magazine, singer Chris Martin played down the reports and said it “depends if we get asked”.

He added: “That’s like getting asked to dance by Robert Pattinson if you’re a young girl. Imagine if Robert Pattinson called and asked, 'Do you want to touch my balls?'.”

Interviewer: "If you could ban one fruit, which fruit would it be?"

Chris: "Simon Cowell."

He added: “That’s like getting asked to dance by Robert Pattinson if you’re a young girl. Imagine if Robert Pattinson called and asked, 'Do you want to touch my balls?'.”

They're so random they sound like Tumblr material! :lol:

this is a funny one.

chris: ultimately we would like to be the house band in 'deal or no deal'

jonny: we need more 'sax'

chris: we need more 'sax'?

will: saxophones? to go all out?

chris: [ignoring will] you are not getting enough sax?

jonny: i need more sax

chris: we all need more sax jon

[all laugh]

better yet, there's video of it here