✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Songs not being sold as "proper singles" anymore?

I would like to know why we've reached some point in which the songs that are called singles are not sold as "real singles" anymore on iTunes(and by real singles I mean this = )

20100904222042!Life_in_Technicolor_II.jpgFix_You.png200px-Coldpl-vivala_11.jpg

I really like having a lot of single's covers on my iTunes and it is really strange that singles come like "08 - A Sky Full of Stars" nowadays, with it's album cover...

I totally agree with you! But on the other hand, at least I don't have to spend extra money to buy the same song twice (on the album and the single :P )

But I will say, I miss B-sides (I know that's another topic, but still....singles used to come with b-sides!)

I feel for you bro, I've got the same problem with physical releases. Instead of having a proper CD of every single of an era in my CD cabinet, I now only can order an album. A real shame

I couldn't agree more :( 'A Spell A Rebel Yell' is a really interesting song IMO. It shows Coldplay experimenting with electronics without it being the slightest bit 'pop'. And 'The Goldrush' is another favourite. And imagine if we'd never had 'One I Love' or 'See You Soon'. I guess we're getting a couple of bonus tracks- if you're in the US or can afford an import, but it's a shame to think that the band may just be sitting on material we'd actually love because they don't see b-sides as a necessity. We'd probably have 'Car Kids' by now if they'd done b-sides for all the MX singles.

I couldn't agree more :( 'A Spell A Rebel Yell' is a really interesting song IMO. It shows Coldplay experimenting with electronics without it being the slightest bit 'pop'. And 'The Goldrush' is another favourite. And imagine if we'd never had 'One I Love' or 'See You Soon'. I guess we're getting a couple of bonus tracks- if you're in the US or can afford an import, but it's a shame to think that the band may just be sitting on material we'd actually love because they don't see b-sides as a necessity. We'd probably have 'Car Kids' by now if they'd done b-sides for all the MX singles.

Could you please explain what exactly "Car Kids" is and where it came from?

It's a totally unheard and unreleased track the producers and suchlike on MX were enthusing about during the making of the album, saying how great it was, and the letters 'CK' were written on Chris's outfit for the tour & were the logo for the song Us Against The World. Everybody was hoping it would get released as a b-side or a bonus track but it never was.

It's a totally unheard and unreleased track the producers and suchlike on MX were enthusing about during the making of the album, saying how great it was, and the letters 'CK' were written on Chris's outfit for the tour & were the logo for the song Us Against The World. Everybody was hoping it would get released as a b-side or a bonus track but it never was.

Oh, ok! Thanks! I hope it'll be released, sounds like it's probably a good track. But lets face it, the chances of that happening are...well...slim!

Actually, not only were the letters 'CK' all over the MX era, in fact Coldplay actually intended to play the song at Glastonbury. It was in their initial setlist, but for some reason they left it out.

I remember those times, everyone was losing their shit here because of this song. It was quite fun :lol::lol::lol:

Guest howyousawtheworld

The death of the b side is the worst thing the internet has done to music. It offered an extra window to look through and marvel further at our favourite acts. Imagine a world where I Ran Away or Crests of Waves didn't exist? Horrible! A couple of years back I went into an independent music store in Glasgow and saw the single of Every Teardrop Is A Water fall (along with Major Minus as a b side). I had already downloaded the tracks on my ipod but to just have it in physical form, along with the single artwork, was worth it alone so I had to snap it up. In digital form, it's just so utterly impersonal and detached. I may sound old, but I am only 23!

Aside from such novelty trips, there is no such thing as the 'single experience' anymore. In getting your favourite singles to chart the top 40 (or the Billboard 100) was the major foundation of pop music. Without it, pop music has lost it's soul and that's reflected in the music we hear in the charts today.

It shouldn't be considered a single. It IS a single. It was released as a 7" and a digital download single. All these people that throw around words like "promotional single" or consider singles as a status of a track rather than an actual release seriously don't know what they're talking about.

Midnight is not a single. The fact that it was released as a 7'' doesn't make it a single, because it was only released for Record Store Day... You say people that use words like promotional track don't know what they're talking about ? Looks like in this case, you're wrong because Midnight IS a promotional track, it is not a single...

Plus, the Oracle confirmed it !

339136Capturedcran20140507130909.png

Do you really read what the oracles said? Omg...

But there's a "Midnight" single. It exists. You can buy it if copies are still left in your local record store. there's even a Digital single on Google Play, 7digital and such. It very much exists. The "biz" can say what it wants, but they're only just obscuring the definition of "single". I've had this argument on Wikipedia 5000 times already! :P

The fact that you consider Midnight a single doesn't make it one... The Oracle said it - it is not. Record Store Day serves only for releases of promo items, not actual releases.

Now, if you want to believe it is, feel free to. But you'll always be wrong.

And show some respect to the other members. Saying that some do not know what they are talking about or that you are going to slap them in the face with a 7" to force them to share your point of view is not proper for this forum...

The fact that you consider Midnight a single doesn't make it one... The Oracle said it - it is not. Record Store Day serves only for releases of promo items, not actual releases.

Now, if you want to believe it is, feel free to. But you'll always be wrong.

Singles are not based on opinions, mate. You don't consider a track a single. It's either a single or not. Now, if you want to believe in industry terms such as "promo items" and "actual releases", feel free to. The Oracle uses those words because he's in the industry, and the industry uses words like those. In the end, those words all mean the same thing basically.

And show some respect to the other members. Saying that some do not know what they are talking about or that you are going to slap them in the face with a 7" to force them to share your point of view is not proper for this forum...

It also seems you don't know what a sense of humor is. I'm not actually going to grab a "Midnight" single and slap everyone in the face with it; that would just be silly! :laugh3:

It would be fun to try though... :sneaky: