✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you prefer Ghost Stories with or without ASFOS?

Sparky

The Oracle has said that Will, Jonny and Guy weren't completely convinced over the ASFOS version which is not a surprise as it was heavily lobbied by Chris and something I would imagine Will giving his disapproval face over!

What's your opinion? Would you prefer GS with or without ASFOS?

Vote in the Coldplaying poll here : http://bit.ly/asfospoll

When I went to see them at Royal Albert Hall (2nd July), prior to performing ASFOS, Chris said "You can't have the sad songs without the happy songs". I think that sums it up perfectly. ASFOS definitely brightens up the album, as the Oracle said, it's"the light at the end of the tunnel; a happy ending of hope if you will." I think GS is a much more complete album with ASFOS than without it.

Is it just me or doesn't the poll work? When I try to vote, it says I am not allowed to vote?

When I went to see them at Royal Albert Hall (2nd July), prior to performing ASFOS, Chris said "You can't have the sad songs without the happy songs". I think that sums it up perfectly. ASFOS definitely brightens up the album, as the Oracle said, it's"the light at the end of the tunnel; a happy ending of hope if you will." I think GS is a much more complete album with ASFOS than without it.

Is it just me or doesn't the poll work? When I try to vote, it says I am not allowed to vote?

I think what you said (well Chris said I guess) is perfect. The bad just makes us appreciate the good even more when it comes. GS just wouldn't be complete without ASFOS. It is a song full of hope and love.

I really really really had a hard time answering this question, but I ended up voting "without."

I won't lie, the sudden rush out of Oceans into the upbeat, emotive chords of ASFOS is amazing! It is a surge of ecstasy that I love every time. I even have come to like the lyrics for just being so damn earnest. The problem is that when the synths come surging into the dance beat of the song, it does suddenly seem really jarring. Every time I listen to that thumping part I think back to Oceans and am like "really?"

Had they all decided on a different, less bombastic EDM version of ASFOS that was still really optimistic, poppy, and fun I would be all for its inclusion. Those synths sandwiched between the soft waves of Oceans and the angelic piano of Fly On? Just doesn't work, though I really appreciate the effort.

I completely agree that GS needs ASFOS but it's at the wrong place. I feel ASFOS is more of closing song at the end of the album instead of between oceans and fly on/o. I think it's more fitting of a burst of energy/happiness to me at the end. It's weird now because it's uptempo in the middle of two slow songs. Anyway, it really does lift the mood of the album and it's great.

I agree, I think GS works better with ASFOS.

It actually became one of my ultimate favourites from the album, and I think it's becoming one of those iconic Coldplay songs. The initial reaction from a lot of people was "eww EDM", but it brightens the album, as it was pointed out, and also it goes on showing how they can put their own spin, identity and soul into a different genre. I think it's a great anthem, and would it really be Coldplay without a proper smashing anthem?

From Chris' interviews, especially the one with Zane Lowe, I also feel that this particular song sort of crystallises the whole point of the album, how Chris is sharing his "spiritual journey" with us, how he needed to learn to completely open up and accept being vulnerable...this is what ASFOS is about, and ultimately what Ghost Stories is about, I think.

It was played everywhere on radio and tv all the time this summer so, finally, from a commercial point of view, I guess they were definitely right to let it on GS :lol:

• Like 1

The album is OK with ASFOS, but I still find it weird that the next song is O.

I find that strange too, doesn't transition into O very well imo. Chris has talked about ASFOS like its the last track and hasn't mentioned O and its role on the album and they have not given it much attention live.

• 7 years later...

For me it's have the his place of this album. This song, if you look lyrically and vocally this song, like the rest of the album, this was very sad and emotional. Because Chris singing voice in this song was very sad. After he was in emotions  (pain, anger, depress, moody and sad) the songs of the albums, A Sky Full of Stars was a song of resilience. after a dark time, Chris made the light of the tunnel i noticed that vocally and lyrically. It's was a perfect balance of happy beat (has a EDM song)  and dark and emotional lyrics and vocals. For me, it's function to transfert to ''O'' because he sing his daugther of O and you hear Apple have so much good time with her father to sing theses vocals, proof to the life continues after the separation.

For many, O have a place at the ending, because he have a life after this separation and continue his life with Apple and Moses.

Edited by wcd199317

• 7 months later...

I've been reading the posts in this thread and decided to share my opinion on the subject even if the discussion dates back to 2014.

I think that ASFOS works pretty well as the penultimate track in Ghost Stories. It represents the joyful realisation that there might be love between two people even after a heartbreaking separation.

Musically I love the transition between Oceans and ASFOS, with those ambient synths, the waves and the bells, probably one of their best to me. I agree that the transition into O is a bit more odd, but I believe that Fly On has to be the closing song of the journey as it deals with the interiorization of what one as learned, while ASFOS is more joyful and less "intellectual" I must say.

What really bothers me about Ghost Stories is the long silence between Fly On and O. I perceive O as the counterpart to AIMH at the end of the record, the epilogue of the story, and putting it after that long silence seems to disrupt a bit the album's flow. At least to me.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2023 at 6:19 PM, TheLostColdplayer said:

What really bothers me about Ghost Stories is the long silence between Fly On and O. I perceive O as the counterpart to AIMH at the end of the record, the epilogue of the story, and putting it after that long silence seems to disrupt a bit the album's flow. At least to me.

Well, this is how hidden tracks work. The Escapist was mastered on the disc the same way.

Hi!! I'm not sure, but if I well remember both "The Escapist" and "Chinese Sleep Chant" start just a couple of seconds after the first song. "Life is for Living" after 8 seconds. "Till Kingdom Come" immediately after.

Anyway what I was trying to say is that Chris always said that "Don't ever let go" is the message of the whole album, so putting it after all that silence seems a bit strange to me whenever I go through the Ghost Stories journey. Actually they seem to have reverted that on the streaming version of the album and on the Target edition, which feature no silence.

Edited by TheLostColdplayer