✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris piano vs guitar?

Spraycan Soul

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I would love to hear more piano. I read that some producers (Viva I think) tried to have them use the piano less but let's face it, that is the iconic Coldplay sound.

I first became a big fan when I heard the beautiful notes of "The Scientist" and "Clocks". Having said that, I just watched Chris playing "Losing My Religion" on the guitar at the Sandy Relief Concert. It was something ... I didn't know he was such a good guitar player. What an amazing singer, songwriter and musician -- a rare talent who can do it all.

So I say piano 8.4 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think guitar. My favorite is when he's play electric guitar without a pick like an acoustic, during the Live 2012 version of Mylo Xyloto (The dvd/ Live album) and the 2009 viva la vida tour one, from Tokyo, streamed from MTV. (You know, the one where they transition into talk out of no where. And it's a gift from the gods). He just seems to enjoy guitar, instead of slamming on the piano. Don't get me wrong, I love his style on both, but, guitar all the way :)

3. Chris' piano playing is an important part of the "trademark" AROBTTH and X&Y sound, but his guitar playing is wonderful too. He's no Noel Gallagher but... his guitar playing adds quite a lot to songs. The list of tracks that have great Chris guitar playing goes on and on: GPASUYF, Warning Sign, Moses, Strawberry Swing, Green Eyes, One I Love, Major Minus, Ghost Story, Charlie Brown, UATW, Oceans, Til Kingdom Come, A Message, most of the Parachutes album...

3. Chris' piano playing is an important part of the "trademark" AROBTTH and X&Y sound, but his guitar playing is wonderful too. He's no Noel Gallagher but... his guitar playing adds quite a lot to songs. The list of tracks that have great Chris guitar playing goes on and on: GPASUYF, Warning Sign, Moses, Strawberry Swing, Green Eyes, One I Love, Major Minus, Ghost Story, Charlie Brown, UATW, Oceans, Til Kingdom Come, A Message, most of the Parachutes album...

Yep. That's why any band that try to adopt a piano into their repertoire are immediately accused of trying to emulate the Coldplay and Keane "sound". For that reason alone I think it would be great to hear more guitar work from Chris, if even only to break the mold and do something a little different in an attempt to get away from the Coldplay=Piano conception everyone seems to have about them.