✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What was your first encounter with Coldplay

stephen

• Administrators

What was your first experience listening to and acknowledging a coldplay song.

Since I am a teenager I listened to my first coldplay song when I was very young. I have a memory of a song that my dad used to play and since I was little I had a weird dream every time I heard the song(I know I was weird).

I was always a light coldplay fan, I didn't know the band members names or any older songs, just a few from Mylo Xyloto and Ghost stories. I suddenly got obsessed with coldplay and worked my way down from ghost stories, which I listened to non stop for months, all the way down to Parachutes. When I came to A Rush Of Blood To The Head and listened to clocks, I had that dream again the moment I started listening. I also just discovered that Homecoming by Kanye West features Chris Martin, this was one of my favourite songs for a while but never knew that Chris sung in it?!? Recently my dad came across some of my coldplay bootlegs and started watching them, he told me that he never knew I was a coldplay fan and that he was too at a time, my mom also likes their music. I have never been to a coldplay concert and don't own any of their merchandise or albums except a Mylo Xyloto CD my mom owns but I have all their albums in flac format and I am trying to get a collection of all their singles and b-sides in flac. I have to admit, its not the same having them in digital format than having a physical copy to add to your collection, so I am trying to buy a few Coldplay vinyl's to start a collection.

I do realise I've gone off on a rant but please tell me your first encounter with coldplay and your current status, I'd love to hear them! :)

My first encounter was when clocks was released, playing on the radio, my sister thought it was U2. Haha. I've seen them twice. Once at the hollywood bowl and during the filming ghost stories 2014 live. [emoji7]

actual filming[/url], wow I've watched that so many times, Its amazing!!

Yes i was! It was unreal! I was speechless! I couldn't even sing some songs. Haha. I was in front of chris too, he looked over at me a couple of times too [emoji38]

• Administrators
Yes i was! It was unreal! I was speechless! I couldn't even sing some songs. Haha. I was in front of chris too, he looked over at me a couple of times too [emoji38]

Looks like there was only a couple of hundred there, did you get invited or was it a first come first served thing?

It was only 800 people there. It was a contest on facebook, you'd have to put your name and email. I tried it the first time and they told me i wasn't a winner. But then my sister entered the same contest and she got two tickets so she took me along. Haha.

Since I'm 15, my first real encounter was when I was really little. When I was a toddler, I sat on my dad's lap and we listened to AROBTTH. And then later in my life, my mom was always listening to Viva and my parents went to their concert in 2010. That was the start of my obsession...

Since I'm 15, my first real encounter was when I was really little. When I was a toddler, I sat on my dad's lap and we listened to AROBTTH. And then later in my life, my mom was always listening to Viva and my parents went to their concert in 2010. That was the start of my obsession...

Have you seen them live?

My dad would eventually hear Clocks when I was like 10 or something, I really started to get into the band when I saw the Violet Hill video on TV somewhere around May 2008 when I was 12-13, just after that I heard Viva La Vida on the radio and became a fan. I think I bought the album on August 2008 and heard it every single day for like six months. Still my favorite album ever after 7 years.

I regret only coming to Coldplay as 'Paradise' was released. They performed it on TV and I couldn't get it out of my head. From then I went on to being a total 100% fan :dance: and have been lucky enough to have seen 2 concerts in London - 'Under 1 Roof' in Dec. 2013 and Ghost Stories at The Royal Albert Hall last year. 2 days in my life I'll treasure for ever !! Roll on the next tour.

The first time for me was when my little sister told me about this really weird song she had heard in the car that day, and then she started singing "Para Para Paradise" in this really high voice, trying to sound like Chris I guess. So we looked it up on utube, and she was like "The band is called Coldplay. What does that even mean?" And then we listened to the song and I actually loved it, but I was only 9 then, so it didn't really matter. I didn't actually fall in love until ASFOS this summer. :( All that waisted time. *wipes stray tear from cheek* I can only hope that I get to see Coldplay on there last tour.

I have a couple older siblings who are 6 and 8 years ahead of me. They would buy CD's and burn mixtapes when they were in high school/college and when I was still pretty young. I would pretty much glom on to whatever they were listening too. The first CD I remember from them had lots of slow, pretty songs on it from Snow Patrol, Keane, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and other alternative rock outfits. My favourite track was the Scientist, and this was back in 2003, when I was only 9 years old. Later on they would burn their favorite tracks from X&Y which I adored, and when I was 14, Coldplay dropped Viva La Vida, the first whole itunes album I purchased and probably my favorite album still to this day.

The rest is history: I bought the rest of their albums and B-sides and was in love with it all. But everytime I think about my first experience, it was being on a family summer road trip through Utah and staring out the window at the beautiful, colorful rocks and the glowing sunshine with Jonny's guitar on The Scientist lulling me in and out of sleep on repeat.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Was very aware of Trouble as a song (used a lot in montages) back in the early 00s and when AROBTTH came out In My Place, Clocks and The Scientist were instantly recongnisable songs. But I would say the moment I became properly aware of them was watching this performance from the Brits in February 2003 when I was little over 12 years old. I was struck by it's clarity of performance, the awesome green lights, Chris Martin's unique vocals. Heck, the fact that it was a PIANO leading the song was enough for me to set it apart from the rest of popular music back then! Such a long time ago it seems now.

Clocks symbolises a soundtrack from a different era in my life, an era in which we've all lived. Many miles we have travelled through this universe since - I'd watch this, brush my teeth, go to bed and get up for primary school the next morning which was just across the road from where we used to live from what was then just another day. And you realise much later on, those days are more than just "another" of those days. The house may have disappeared from my life, the school playground may be for another generation to play in, the innocence lost....but Clocks shall remain.

I think that is as best an explanation of why Coldplay remain close to my heart.

[video=youtube;3DwV1599ucE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DwV1599ucE

Hi howyousawtheworld,

I'd love to watch that performance, but unfortunately I can't, even with a Proxy is says "this uploader has not made this video available for your country...", even if I put UK as the proxied IP adress. Any idea ? There seems to be no other recording of this on YT.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Hi howyousawtheworld,

I'd love to watch that performance, but unfortunately I can't, even with a Proxy is says "this uploader has not made this video available for your country...", even if I put UK as the proxied IP adress. Any idea ? There seems to be no other recording of this on YT.

Hmmm this is a tricky one and unfortunate for you (and weird - why stop foreign users watching old recordings of the Brits?!) I tried looking at Dailymotion and they don't have it there either. Maybe it's worth taking this to more 'tech savvy' folk on this website? Might be different proxy sites available?

I could probably come up with a few answers to this, since I don't specifically remember.

What I do remember is that one of the first times Coldplay truly made an impression on me was listening to Clocks on the radio and I remember loving the end bit ("and nothing else compares") - I still love that part of Clocks and that lyric today.

[smoke is rising from the houses]

• Like 1

what a great thread !!!! my first encounter with this beloved band was in 2009 , when I first heard Viva ..could not quit listening to it joked that I needed a 12 step program to stop!!!! when I bought the album (cd ) made them open it so I could listen to it ...had liked many songs but usually not a whole album..Coldplay was different , I kept saying wow I like this , and this ...and this ...I started listening to older stuff and discovered what a wonderful band this was , and how their music spoke to my heart ..have not stopped listening since !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My first encounter was also in 2009 when I heard the song viva la vida live it was like omg I have to see them once and I told a friend about it and she said that they come to the Netherlands in September 2009 and ordered the tickets saw Coldplay 09-09-09 for the first time the second was 11-06-11 on pink pop my 3th time was 17-12-11 ahoy Rotterdam my 4th was 01-06-12 in London and my fifth time was also in London 02-06-12 and my sixth time was 06-09-12 in The Hague so totally I saw them six times [emoji93][emoji93]