✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I Ran Away

Charlie17

This one was requested. I was glad because I love the song. At that last second i worked out what I imagine is the actual tuning used. The original song is in the key of Amaj roughly. The chords are at least. Chris Martin chooses some interesting notes vocally on occasion in the song. I played this cover a full step down in Gmaj. But that aside, if I were playing the original key, I had been playing it in standard tuning and just let the B and high E ring open the whole time. But it occurred to me to tune the second string up a full step. It makes all the chords much more colorful in coldplayish voicings (6/9 chords, min9 chords etc.)

Cheers, Charlie (maybe someone can help my intellectually disabled self embed the video :) )

This one was requested. I was glad because I love the song. At that last second i worked out what I imagine is the actual tuning used. The original song is in the key of Amaj roughly. The chords are at least. Chris Martin chooses some interesting notes vocally on occasion in the song. I played this cover a full step down in Gmaj. But that aside, if I were playing the original key, I had been playing it in standard tuning and just let the B and high E ring open the whole time. But it occurred to me to tune the second string up a full step. It makes all the chords much more colorful in coldplayish voicings (6/9 chords, min9 chords etc.)

Cheers, Charlie (maybe someone can help my intellectually disabled self embed the video :) )

[video=youtube;x4DJCtqi_rE]

Nice!!! Sounds great!! :arobtth: :)

Yeah i'd be happy to. I just, um, i dunno, I was lucky that the guitar teacher i had as a young child was very much about developing my ear. This song was quite straight forward for me to work out. I had it within one listen. Is E-Guitar an app or site or something or you just mean a you tube video about how i played it. (I play the electric guitar and acoustic exactly the same unless of course, you're asking about johnny's part, but if we're talking chords, that's fine, and i just think of a guitar as a guitar usually. same thing) :)

I just had a small idea. Would you guys like me to do a little youtube tutorial about chris martin's style of playing guitar? I could just use this song as the example and maybe throw in Yellow quickly or square one or something. He has very much influenced how i tend to play and he is quite unconventional. The way he plays is brilliant, however, and i could explain why it's such a significant contribution to how use rhythm guitar more creatively and more musically. It seems like something that fits the idea of "the instrument room" quite well haha. I'm very much a geek when it comes to things like unique chord voicings

cool. i'll do that in a few. i like doing that kind of thing. probably cause i like hearing myself talk haha. not a good quality to have! i'll throw it up here when it's done. I have to go out to this storage unit down the street where i record stuff. no internet in there though so i take a little external hard drive back and fourth. I lucked out finding this storage unit. It has like 30 foot ceilings, costs next to nothing, and i get free electricity. sounds like a cathedral in there.

Help. What should I try for as far as time/length? how long should this be? Should i do a couple videos and break it up? if i actually explain this stuff i can't do it properly for a beginner in like 4 minutes ya know?

Dunno, as long as you want it to be ;) Or as long as you feel it takes you to explain it well. Feels wrong to tell you something here on how you should do it because it is already awesome that you volunteer to do such an explanatory video for us ! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for video No. 1 !! Talk as much as you want, I like listening to this :) Amazing that you can't actually read music, apparently Chris can't either.

I hope in the next part you can show where exactly you need to place your fingers and also about the rhythm. Just love the guitar sound in I Ran Away, I'd be so happy if I'd managed to play it by myself so I hope to learn it here :D Although I've got to admit that I've only got an extremely cheap guitar and a tiny desktop amp.

haha all good man. I don't even own an amp. just a DI box then into the iMac. most good song writers and musicians other than composers don't read music. I can sight read and i'm sure chris martin can as well. ask me to play an F#6 chord and i'll play it three or four ways for you. i just don't know what the notes would look like on a staff of a treble clef or whatever haha.

here's one. I'm not a very good piano player. i'm self taught and i've only played for a few years. 2 1/2 to be exact. i'm not sure i'm your man for that. This cover of Atlas is probably the best playing I've done. I can play "O" as well. I use piano to write, because my lack of familiarity makes it easier to be creative. I don't know what not to do i suppose.

https://soundcloud.com/cedmo013/atlas-2-2-1