✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pet Peeve / Top Hate about a Coldplay Song /Album / The Band Itself, And Why?

gentleparachute

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point in bashing pop just because it's pop... Sure it's usually shorthand for unimaginative, crass / vulgar, lazy, etc. but that's not always the case. Just because a song's catchy and falls within the pop category doesn't mean it lacks creativity or makes it bad / poorly constructed music! Think the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elton John...

I completely agree, Viva la Vida is a great example of a creative and artistically ambitious pop album. Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories, however, are not.

I completely agree, Viva la Vida is a great example of a creative and artistically ambitious pop album. Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories, however, are not.

Nah, I'd argue that MX is very creative and artistic album. It's not the pop you hear on the radio, you really can't even call it pop.

I agree VLV is probably the most musically creative and original of the three, however I find MX far more catchy and joyful / exuberant than any other album - just makes me wanna get up and join in! That immediacy and catchiness rates highly on my enjoyment scale, making it my fav album as it always pleasurable enjoyment... GS is just an introspective album

I agree VLV is probably the most musically creative and original of the three' date=' however I find MX far more catchy and joyful / exuberant than any other album - just makes me wanna get up and join in! That immediacy and catchiness rates highly on my enjoyment scale, making it my fav album as it always pleasurable enjoyment... GS is just an introspective album[/quote']

I competely agree with you. Viva is by far the most creative and oroginal and experimental. And, MX is your favorite? Finally I found someone with the same thoughts as me! The songs are just gorgeous in that album and I really like that background track, you know the high sounding background track in a lot of the songs is beautiful. They did a great job on MX and I don't know why people don't like it very much. It's not really pop. It is not as bad as normal pop by any means. But their previous works did seem to be a bit deeper... but still MX is my fav. :)

-The lyrics on songs from the MX era onward. Chris used to write such beautiful, cryptic lyrics . . . I don't know what happened :( He had such a great way of saying things in unique ways even when the subject as a whole wasn't unique at all (like love and loss). Now it's all mostly cliched, cheesy, and repetitive. Referencing the stars in Yellow was great because I'd never heard something like that before, but now I expect them to be mentioned multiple times in a song.

-I'm not entirely sure how to describe this one. Basically, in the past when Chris's lyrics weren't the greatest or most innovative, a song usually still managed to be great because of the input from the rest of the guys. In My Place is a notable example. Even if Chris's contribution wasn't stellar, you could bet that the song would have a great bassline, guitar riff, or drumbeat that would keep it interesting. Again, I'm not sure what happened, but recently it seems that we're having fewer instances of Jonny, Guy, or Will "saving" a song--especially on GS, when their contributions are turned down so low in the background as to be nonexistent. Granted, this was less prevalent on MX, so hopefully it changes with AHFoD!

-I'm really just not a fan of the whole "squeaky clean" pop sound that several other people have been mentioning. Makes everything seem very fake and plastic-y and it makes it harder, for me at least, to form an emotional connection with a song. Little flaws make things seem more sincere.

-Ink and True Love. I just can't do it, not even the live versions, I'm sorry. These two songs are the pinnacle of blandness and uncreativity for me :disappointed:

Okay I feel obligated to post four things I like now :lol:

-Lyrics on The Scientist. This is a love ballad done so, so right and it's freaking fantastic and beautiful and ugh I'm going to go listen to the Toronto 2006 version again. Same thing for Moving to Mars, although that one gives off a little different vibe.

-DLIBYH is a great song for its instrumentals (even if the mixing and production is a little wonky). Same with Midnight, which to me is ambience and electronic done right

-Oceans bridges that gap between squeaky clean Newplay and the quiet acoustic of Oldplay. I really like the drumbeat on this one too

-Another's Arms is a fantastic live song and I love it so much. The same goes for Major Minus

^This!!! Great post, you really nailed everything there...

Thanks especially for mentioning DLIBYH in the context of being a great instrumental - I usually tend to skip it (along with the other MX songs after Major Minus) but your post made me listen to it closely and re-examine it... You're absolutely spot-on in your comment - I've finally heard the detailed layering in that tangle of sounds and now I've found a new way to enjoy another song off the album, thanks for that! :D

(btw has anyone else found the preceding track A Hopeful Transmission although a good instrumental, actually detracts from the song? I just realized it drowns out the detail in DLIBYH if you follow the album track-listing whereas DLIBYH really stands out if listened to as a stand-alone by itself)

-The lyrics on songs from the MX era onward. Chris used to write such beautiful, cryptic lyrics . . . I don't know what happened :( He had such a great way of saying things in unique ways even when the subject as a whole wasn't unique at all (like love and loss). Now it's all mostly cliched, cheesy, and repetitive. Referencing the stars in Yellow was great because I'd never heard something like that before, but now I expect them to be mentioned multiple times in a song.

-I'm not entirely sure how to describe this one. Basically, in the past when Chris's lyrics weren't the greatest or most innovative, a song usually still managed to be great because of the input from the rest of the guys. In My Place is a notable example. Even if Chris's contribution wasn't stellar, you could bet that the song would have a great bassline, guitar riff, or drumbeat that would keep it interesting. Again, I'm not sure what happened, but recently it seems that we're having fewer instances of Jonny, Guy, or Will "saving" a song--especially on GS, when their contributions are turned down so low in the background as to be nonexistent. Granted, this was less prevalent on MX, so hopefully it changes with AHFoD!

-I'm really just not a fan of the whole "squeaky clean" pop sound that several other people have been mentioning. Makes everything seem very fake and plastic-y and it makes it harder, for me at least, to form an emotional connection with a song. Little flaws make things seem more sincere.

-Ink and True Love. I just can't do it, not even the live versions, I'm sorry. These two songs are the pinnacle of blandness and uncreativity for me :disappointed:

Okay I feel obligated to post four things I like now :lol:

-Lyrics on The Scientist. This is a love ballad done so, so right and it's freaking fantastic and beautiful and ugh I'm going to go listen to the Toronto 2006 version again. Same thing for Moving to Mars, although that one gives off a little different vibe.

-DLIBYH is a great song for its instrumentals (even if the mixing and production is a little wonky). Same with Midnight, which to me is ambience and electronic done right

-Oceans bridges that gap between squeaky clean Newplay and the quiet acoustic of Oldplay. I really like the drumbeat on this one too

-Another's Arms is a fantastic live song and I love it so much. The same goes for Major Minus

-As for the lyrics from MX onward, I completely agree. Most of the time in the old days they used to write such beautiful lyrics.. what happened? I mean, they were great before, what happened between Viva and MX that could possibly cause him to write such worse lyrics? I really hope he gets back on track with AHFOD.

-IMO, even though MX and GS has not-so-hot lyrics, at least for MX as far as I'm concerned the sound is so beautiful and great in most songs that it still makes up for the bad lyrics, just like the few times it happened before the MX era. As for GS, well.... there are some songs that have a good enough melody to them to fix the bad lyrics but, well, as for some of the other songs in GS... Again, as you said, hopefully every problem is fixed in AHFOD that they do have now, and with GS, IMO, GS is them really starting to go downhill. They do have graet songs, don't get me wrong, but the richness that they had before isn't in the GS songs, it doesn't sound as legitimate IMO... it kind of sounds plastic-y. The melody's are great and I do kind of like the sound, but that's one thing, I like it. I don't love it. It's pretty good, and so are the melodies in some instances but other times the sound just doesn't sound as good as before, and the melodys are quite less as creative as before too.

-I really do agree. I am still am emotionally connected with a lot of the songs in GS but if they didn't have as much of that squeaky clean pop plastic sound in there I think that'd help me enjoy it a lot more. There are some songs that kind of fit with it though and I really do like them with that sound, but it would be better with a real sound to it. This really starts to get on me in GS and beyond, in GS it is plastic-y. I still very much enjoy it, it'd just be better with legit sounds. Miracles just sounds really clean and poppy IMO... but it still has a good melody to it. Then again, it was just a movie soundtrack so I guess it didn't matter too much to us there. Gone But Not has a great melody, a very good melody. But it has such a clean sound to it... I do enjoy it but still it'd be better with some of the Oldplay sound in it though.

-That's alright. Everyone has their own opinion... IMO Ink has a good melody and it's one of the better songs in GS. It does even have a bit of flaws in it too which makes the melody even better sounding (again, minor flaws as you said make the songs even more rich), although it doesn't use that good Oldplay sound that is so rich, the sound they use in that song isn't as deep, it's kind of shallow and doesn't go as deep as the Oldplay sound. I still very much enjoy it though, As for True Love, welllll.... haven't listened to it much, but I guess it's good.

Now it's starting to get to me a bit that they're posting like crazy now but aren't posting about AHFOD. :P As one other said in another thread maybe they're doing this as the first tease towards AHFOD itself in fact, because they know they're getting us all excited every time they tweet...

Now it's starting to get to me a bit that they're posting like crazy now but aren't posting about AHFOD. :P As one other said in another thread maybe they're doing this as the first tease towards AHFOD itself in fact, because they know they're getting us all excited every time they tweet...

Doubt the're doing that on purpose, they aways post with a few days apart...

And doubt they care a lot about the fact that everyone's waiting for AHFOD....

@AMDB9 I have noticed that, but I find the song too direct / cheesy... One or the other would've been fine, but the combination of that pleading voice + the lyrics with that melody is too much - just makes me cringe! Although it was very brave of Chris to pour his heart out and really show that vulnerability in himself, kudos for that as it wouldn't have been easy...

Gone But Not has a great melody, a very good melody. But it has such a clean sound to it... I do enjoy it but still it'd be better with some of the Oldplay sound in it though.

I was freaking blown away when they played Gone But Not F. Cotton. I expected it to be a cute, cheesy little song but the melody and instrumentation and Chris's voice were just gorgeous. I have no idea where that song came from or how long it took the guys to come up with it, but it is honestly my favorite song since the Viva era :dazzled:

Ans as for True Love . . . I have seen several people around that like it, but the general consensus seems to be that it's not a very well-liked song, which is strange seeing as how it was released as a single. I've already stated that I am not a fan, so I won't drag down the thread with my long-winded reasoning :D

I was freaking blown away when they played Gone But Not F. Cotton. I expected it to be a cute' date=' cheesy little song but the melody and instrumentation and Chris's voice were just [i']gorgeous[/i]. I have no idea where that song came from or how long it took the guys to come up with it, but it is honestly my favorite song since the Viva era :dazzled:

Ans as for True Love . . . I have seen several people around that like it, but the general consensus seems to be that it's not a very well-liked song, which is strange seeing as how it was released as a single. I've already stated that I am not a fan, so I won't drag down the thread with my long-winded reasoning :D

I'm glad you love Gone But Not F. Cotton! It's a great song IMO... listening to it as I write this comment and it's better than most of GS combined already. If they're back to making great music than high hopes for AHFOD! :D It's such a gorgeous song!

^ Their last few new ones seem to have drifted into adult contemporary... Miracles, Gone But Not F Cotton, Amazing Day (with a bit of their trademark CP twist). Part of their new sound?

You're probably right.... they all have this bit of common sound in them and I think it is in fact the build up to AHFOD we see with every album new and coming up. There seems to be a song that's released in between two eras that has aspects of both that gradually get more of the new album-like. Miracles seemed to have some of the GS sound but yet had a new sound to it. Gone But Not F. Cotton had a tad of GS but mostly this new sound. Amazing Day? Indirectly confirmed by Rik to be in AHFOD, so that already has some of AHFOD in it. It's going great so far! Coldplay's looking amazing for this new era :D

-Exclusion of some songs that turned B-Sides (For You, Crest of Waves, Sleeping Sun, Things I Don't Understand, Glass of Water (which ended up in Prospekt's March EP), Moving to Mars)

-Collaborators/Producers. I know that their team of producers had helped them achieved the sound that they wanted to make but I would like to see them work with a completely different team in terms of production. Don't get me wrong though. Rik and all his friends are very good. It's just that a different team can push the band outside the box again. The band is creative but I do think that they can do better than that.

-Some of their lyrics are too cheesy.

They all suffer from that clean-cut pop sound, which tbh I don't appreciate that much. Nothing raw in their, all carefully dosed superclean lines. Hm.

I reckon they're just getting better at playing their instruments. I don't know whether you play any instruments but what many musicians do when they master their notes / line is to start polishing up the sound to achieve 'cleanness'... I don't think it has anything to do with production - some of that cleanness in their lines is just because they've improved and now can fully control the sound being produced by their instruments, thus achieving a purer sound with less fuzz. Chris still tries to squeeze out some rawness / vulnerability in his voice most of the time... As for the guitars, they are generally less 'raw' but are still very groovy and pack a lot of punch in their sound - the lines sound more muscular and confident than they used to be :)