✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pet Peeve / Top Hate about a Coldplay Song /Album / The Band Itself, And Why?

gentleparachute

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blasphemy.

Take a look around my friend. You're not going to make many friends around here talking nonsense like that ;)

You guys will never break me! X&Y is the least inspired Coldplay album!! However it is sandwiched by the two most creative so it's not all bad...

More uninspired than GS? The album that had True Love and ASFOS on it? Come on now...

At least they tried some stuff with Magic, Midnight, Another's Arms etc...X&Y just tries to constantly be A Coldplay Album.

More uninspired than GS? The album that had True Love and ASFOS on it? Come on now...

I half agree that X&Y is a great album, but then I disagree that GS is uninspired... in my opinion it's every bit as deep and atmospheric as the other albums are. Now the music itself on the other hand is a bit on the bland side (but imo that doesn't take away from me liking it) but if you'd listen to GS as a whole, if you listen closely enough the depth and atmosphere is still there. At least for me it is. I'm not forcing you to listen to it or anything. I'm just giving my input on it.

BTW, if you think that Coldplay's last two albums are "pop" you are sadly mistaken. Coldplay's "pop" is so different than the depthless, atmosphericless "music" (there's a much better word for it, but I won't say it here) on the radio nowadays that you can't even call it pop. Even PoC, arguably Coldplay's most poppiest song, does resemble the stuff on the radio nowadays a little bit but at least it has atmosphere. It has emotion. It has depth. Which makes it better. Coldplay's tried pop, and they made it sound absolutely brilliant IMO. They took the normal pop you hear on the radio nowadays, and added a real story to it. They added more depth and atmosphere to it to make it sound like something you'd want to listen to more than once IMO. They wanted to keep trying new things, and I guess for them their next extraordinary work would be turning the boring uninspired pop you usually hear on the radio nowadays into a brilliant recreation of it with depth and atmosphere. Coldplay's pop, is in my opinion, pop done right. It was a massive success in my opinion. Now I'm talking about MX more so than Ghost Stories here, but I guess their plan had two parts to it: to make the "happy" improved pop sounds. and then the "sad", low-tone, improved pop sounds as well. Unfortunately in some places they had to rely on an electronic drumbeat, and it worked better with MX than with GS in my opinion, but it still worked out fairly well... in my opinion GS was part two of their plan to make pop sound brilliant. I don't think it's uninspired at all... you just have to dig deeper.

Now I understand you do prefer Coldplay's old music over Newplay, and that's fine. I'm just saying, that I don't exactly think that GS is uninspired. Because, well, it definetely isn't. :P

At least they tried some stuff with Magic, Midnight, Another's Arms etc...X&Y just tries to constantly be A Coldplay Album.

Just like with @The Adversary, I do half agree that they did do something with GS and some of their songs (Midnight in my opinion is very creative and different, it's one of the better tracks in GS IMO and if more of GS was like that (the "experimental" version of GS) GS would have been an even better album. As for X&Y, I'd argue that they tried some stuff with Til Kingdom Come. They tried some stuff with Fix You. They were certainly very creative with Square One. Look, if you take each and every one of X&Y's songs they sound a whole lot different than a lot of other songs. They have such a different structure to them than normal songs, and the atmosphere is much different than most other songs. Just like every other album, X&Y has it's own depth and atmosphere to it. It's songs are very creative, because the sounds in those songs are very different than what you might be used to hearing. In my opinion they were quite experimental with the sounds they did decide to settle on for X&Y. They tried all sorts of different things... the structure in each song is quite different than another and the album as a whole has a lot of creativity and variety in it to keep the listener interested. They didn't just stick with one beat, or one structure of a song and decided to go with it. It changes all the time in that album... which I really like about X&Y, and really every other album. It really has it's own feeling to it and is IMO quite an underrated Coldplay album. It doesn't just try to be "A Coldplay Album", there's a lot of creativity, depth and atmosphere in both the music itself, and the artwork. (Yes, even the artwork. In my profile pic, do you notice that? The seemingly random collection of squares? That's actually based off Baudot code. Each vertical line that goes down represents a letter and has it's own collection of square in it. Once I found this out, I actually went to an X&Y Cover Art Generator, typed a meaningful short phrase in, took a screenie of it, and put it as my avatar. By the way, if anyone can translate my avatar into the original phrase I put in the cover art generator, you will be honored... I guess! :D) The cover art for each song is actually the name of the song in the code that was based off Baudot code. The cover art for X&Y is actually X&Y displayed in the form of the code that was inspired by Baudot code. It was very original IMO and that's why X&Y's album art is my second favorite, next to MX. :)

Not to derail the thread but what is it about Another's Arms that really irks people? I see production being mentioned, but what specifically? Just curious.

The guitar solo and licks being too low in the mix is the most obvious flaw, but on the whole the song justs sounds flat and lifeless - especially when compared to the stirring live version we first heard.

Not to derail the thread but what is it about Another's Arms that really irks people? I see production being mentioned, but what specifically? Just curious.

The lyrics are dumb, the verse and chorus melody very boring, and I am paticular annoyed at this weird sound appearing again and again (the one that sounds like you deflate something - do you know what I mean)

In fact, the guitar solo melody would have been a great one to make a song off but evidently that didn't happen here.

The synths and electronic drums in Another's Arms are what annoy me. I don't like how loud the synths are in the mix and Chris' vocals are a little too soft for my taste. I liked the first live version but on the record I was very disappointed. The song needs to be more of a raw piano ballad (with the exception of the prominent voice sample, it can be kept). Do away with all of the electronics. Jonny's guitar solo is the only thing I like about the studio recording.

As for X&Y, I'd argue that they tried some stuff with Til Kingdom Come. They tried some stuff with Fix You. They were certainly very creative with Square One. Look, if you take each and every one of X&Y's songs they sound a whole lot different than a lot of other songs. They have such a different structure to them than normal songs, and the atmosphere is much different than most other songs. Just like every other album, X&Y has it's own depth and atmosphere to it. It's songs are very creative, because the sounds in those songs are very different than what you might be used to hearing. In my opinion they were quite experimental with the sounds they did decide to settle on for X&Y. They tried all sorts of different things... the structure in each song is quite different than another and the album as a whole has a lot of creativity and variety in it to keep the listener interested. They didn't just stick with one beat, or one structure of a song and decided to go with it. It changes all the time in that album... which I really like about X&Y, and really every other album. It really has it's own feeling to it and is IMO quite an underrated Coldplay album. It doesn't just try to be "A Coldplay Album", there's a lot of creativity, depth and atmosphere in both the music itself, and the artwork. (Yes, even the artwork. In my profile pic, do you notice that? The seemingly random collection of squares? That's actually based off Baudot code. Each vertical line that goes down represents a letter and has it's own collection of square in it. Once I found this out, I actually went to an X&Y Cover Art Generator, typed a meaningful short phrase in, took a screenie of it, and put it as my avatar. By the way, if anyone can translate my avatar into the original phrase I put in the cover art generator, you will be honored... I guess! :D) The cover art for each song is actually the name of the song in the code that was based off Baudot code. The cover art for X&Y is actually X&Y displayed in the form of the code that was inspired by Baudot code. It was very original IMO and that's why X&Y's album art is my second favorite, next to MX. :)

I like what you say about X&Y. I knew all this stuff about the code already, but it never occurred to me to try and figure out your message :P Well, i just did using the X&Y booklet where the whole code is written down. ilovecp ! Awwwwwwwwww :)

I like what you say about X&Y. I knew all this stuff about the code already, but it never occurred to me to try and figure out your message :P Well, i just did using the X&Y booklet where the whole code is written down. ilovecp ! Awwwwwwwwww :)

Great job :D

I was waiting for the day when someone would find out what my avatar said...

I guess that'd be a great idea for an avatar. Use an album art generator to make a short little phrase like that, screen it, and then put it as my avatar to say something secret (well, not so secret anymore :D)

Great job :D

I was waiting for the day when someone would find out what my avatar said...

I guess that'd be a great idea for an avatar. Use an album art generator to make a short little phrase like that, screen it, and then put it as my avatar to say something secret (well, not so secret anymore :D)

It would be funny to make an avatar with something rude (e.g. I hate coldplaying) :P

I only discovered this art generator right now :D I have long noticed several people had those codes as avatars though. In fact, there was a time when AMDB9 and you had similar avatars (both Baudot codes) and it was confusing because I would tend to mix you two up :D

That being said, and in cross-refelection with our discussion on the Random thread, it would be cool to wear a message you like in Baudot code on your shirt - it would be pretty unique and also a somewhat hidden and sophisticated nod to Coldplay/Oldplay ! :)

It would be funny to make an avatar with something rude (e.g. I hate coldplaying) :P

I only discovered this art generator right now :D I have long noticed several people had those codes as avatars though. In fact, there was a time when AMDB9 and you had similar avatars (both Baudot codes) and it was confusing because I would tend to mix you two up :D

That being said, and in cross-refelection with our discussion on the Random thread, it would be cool to wear a message you like in Baudot code on your shirt - it would be pretty unique and also a somewhat hidden and sophisticated nod to Coldplay/Oldplay ! :)

That's pretty cool, how many people have used the album art generator already. :D I used to get mixed up for a second with AMD and me too, but I quickly realized that I had a bigger avatar so I could tell the difference :D Have you ever looked at @sa_spurs_tx (I think that's who it is) avatar? You literally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them if you didn't see our profile names. Two times I thought, because when he posted at a time when I was asleep, that someone hacked into my account while I was sleeping. :D Have you ever mixed me and him up before?

I'd really like to get my hands on a custon X&Y album art shirt with a message of my choice displayed in Baudot code - I'm not sure how I'd do it but I'd love it if it were possible!:D

That's pretty cool, how many people have used the album art generator already. :D I used to get mixed up for a second with AMD and me too, but I quickly realized that I had a bigger avatar so I could tell the difference :D Have you ever looked at @sa_spurs_tx (I think that's who it is) avatar? You literally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them if you didn't see our profile names. Two times I thought, because when he posted at a time when I was asleep, that someone hacked into my account while I was sleeping. :D Have you ever mixed me and him up before?

I'd really like to get my hands on a custon X&Y album art shirt with a message of my choice displayed in Baudot code - I'm not sure how I'd do it but I'd love it if it were possible!:D

I didn't mix you two up, but I recall that 2 times you thought someone had hacked into your account :D

As for the T-shirt, easy ! You create your message in the art generator and save the image.

Buy a white/unicolour T-shirt and a special film for garment printing, then put it in your printer and print the image onto the film. Then iron the film onto the T-shirt.

If you don't wanna do it manually, there are web shops allowing you to create a custom t-shirt with any image you like.

I didn't mix you two up, but I recall that 2 times you thought someone had hacked into your account :D

As for the T-shirt, easy ! You create your message in the art generator and save the image.

Buy a white/unicolour T-shirt and a special film for garment printing, then put it in your printer and print the image onto the film. Then iron the film onto the T-shirt.

If you don't wanna do it manually, there are web shops allowing you to create a custom t-shirt with any image you like.

Great idea! I'll consider trying that sometime. I'll get back to you once I've made the T-shirt :D

Hahaha yeah that's why I changed mine because it was confusing me, too! :p

Just because it's better than most pop doesn't mean it isn't pop.

I don't see the point in bashing pop just because it's pop... Sure it's usually shorthand for unimaginative, crass / vulgar, lazy, etc. but that's not always the case. Just because a song's catchy and falls within the pop category doesn't mean it lacks creativity or makes it bad / poorly constructed music! Think the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elton John...

I don't see the point in bashing pop just because it's pop... Sure it's usually shorthand for unimaginative, crass / vulgar, lazy, etc. but that's not always the case. Just because a song's catchy and falls within the pop category doesn't mean it lacks creativity or makes it bad / poorly constructed music! Think the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elton John...

Or Coldplay's last two albums (to continue your list)