✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pet Peeve / Top Hate about a Coldplay Song /Album / The Band Itself, And Why?

gentleparachute

This one's just something that came to mind from a discussion on another thread... I'm sure we all have our pet peeves in various songs / parts of albums that are annoying (or plain just can't stand), which we wish could be changed.

One of my first occurred when I heard the opening 'bam-bam-bam' of Politik - I just found the lack of artistry made me want to turn the music off. Luckily the rest of the song won me over, otherwise I wouldn't still be here eagerly awaiting LP7... :laugh3:

My current one is Chris' almost whiny voice on Another's Arms, in almost the whole song :rolleyes:...

What's your Coldplay pet peeve, let us know!

P.S. If you disagree on a reason, feel free to share with us too :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly one of the things I can't stand is their self-deprecating style. It gets really irritating after a while, especially in interviews because when you watch an interview with them it seems to go nowhere because instead of answering the questions they'll spend the majority just talking about how terrible they are. I'll give you an example:

Interviewer: So what's an international tour like for the biggest band in the world?

CM: We're not the biggest band, U2 are.

Interviewer: Okay, one of the biggest bands

CM: No, we only have like 10 fans

Interviewer: (perplexed) Er... okay, then what's it like to tour the best selling album of the year that has won a hape of awards?

CM: We honestly don't know why people bought it, it's terrible

Interviewer: (Exasperated) Okay... well how are you enjoying *insert country here*

CM: We are so grateful to be here, We are surprised we haven't been thrown out because our music is abhorrent

Interviewer: *Quits*

It's really disingenuous on Chris's part as well because you can just tell he knows how talented he is and is being modest for modesty's sake. You can acknowledge your achievements without being arrogant. Chris seems to mix up the two.

Much prefer more serious interviews where he just speaks his mind (Zane Lowe comes to mind) Those interviews are very insightful.

Great thread ! There's actually a lot of thing about Coldplay I don't like. (in addition to many things that I love, of course).

- Coldplay going pop

- Coldplay dropping their melancholy and insecurity themes in favor of happiness and being upbeat

- Chris running after Hollywood actresses

- the scratchiness of Chris's voice in GS

- the Love buttons

...to be continued soon

The things I hate most about CP:

1) They lost their perfectionism, that's why recent songs are relatively bland compared to the previous ones. Maybe they only lost creativity, but some episodes like Midnight or Moving To Mars made me think the opposite.

2) They lost their will to make their masterpiece and to prove to the world they can do it. From MX Chris always says "I don't give a * about what people think about our music, the ones who hate it now will love it in the future" and crap like that.

1. That they haven't unleashed their full creative potential--musically and lyrically. They have experimented so many times to create some amazing alternative music but very rarely have we got to hear that, instead they have become more concerned with making the perfect pop song...which leads me to...

2. Not releasing demos and b-sides. Total bummer, some of their best work is undoubtedly locked up somewhere.

3. Not giving Will and Guy more chances to blossom. I want a Coldplay Folk album with Will on lyrics. But they will never do that :(

1. Their decision to almost entirely scrap the acoustic LP5 and keep only a couple of those songs on MX.

2. Bad production on some newer material (DLIBYH, True Love, and Another's Arms have the worst in my opinion). I firmly believe that there are great songs in there somewhere, but they only shine through live.

3. No acoustic drums on Ghost Stories. A couple of tracks manage just fine without them like Oceans and Fly On, but otherwise they are sorely needed.

4. Cancelling the 2013 Latin American tour. Of course I do not live there but I'm sure a lot of those fans were quite upset.

5. No chances for Guy to sing lead vocals on any part of a song.

6. Never releasing gems like Ladder to the Sun, Don Quixote, Wedding Bells, Sweet Marianne, The Dubliners, and A View From the Top.

Great thread ! There's actually a lot of things about Coldplay I don't like. (in addition to many things that I love, of course).

Thanks I ran away for the compliment... I wondered there whether people might find this thread too negative, but then I thought all of us have little pet peeves about the guys that we wish were different / less annoying... It's good to let it out sometimes anyway :D

​As for actresses (Hollywood or otherwise), he needs to just stop... It's no good for his mental health - how can he tell when they have stopped acting or not? *joke* :laugh3:

But seriously, he may have done better with a more down-to-earth / normal girl, but I guess the horse has bolted... It'd be hard to find someone who hasn't heard of Coldplay now.

1) They lost their perfectionism, that's why recent songs are relatively bland compared to the previous ones.

Funnily enough, I think you're right to some extent... They used to be more rigid in their definition of "good enough to go on the album"... Maybe now they give in easier, either so they can keep the peace or they can all go home earlier. Which leads me to my next quote...

2. Not releasing demos and b-sides. Total bummer, some of their best work is undoubtedly locked up somewhere.

3. Not giving Will and Guy more chances to blossom. I want a Coldplay Folk album with Will on lyrics. But they will never do that

With their back catalogue of songs, they demonstrate that they clearly love and continue to play music in the older styles, and they're still doing new stuff and are good at it! I've often wondered how their B-sides can be so much better than an album song and not get picked... I guess it's the role the song fulfils in the album as well that counts.

A CP folk album would be awesome! Have more patience with Will and Guy - I think they do more and more with each album - Will's starting to sing and do other instruments, and Guy's guitar lines have been stellar lately!

2. Bad production on some newer material (DLIBYH, True Love, and Another's Arms have the worst in my opinion). I firmly believe that there are great songs in there somewhere, but they only shine through live.

Don't worry about the newer material! These songs at least seemed to have achieved the sounds that were intended... My main beef is with X&Y - am I the only one who feels someone f*ed up the decision with the album's volume / compression mix from input to output? The balance is terrible unless the volume is turned right up, not great if you're trying to listen to individual parts!!! Also some parts are too muted compared to the others... :\

My main beef is with X&Y - am I the only one who feels someone f*ed up the decision with the album's volume / compression mix from input to output? The balance is terrible unless the volume is turned right up, not great if you're trying to listen to individual parts!!! Also some parts are too muted compared to the others... :\

Hm, I love X&Y. My only issue with its production is that the song "X&Y" itself is too high in volume compared to the others, making me have to hurriedly turn the volume down every time before Chris goes "Trying hard to speak and fighting with my weak hand...."

^ I find the album gets very draggy / heavy on its feet and is hard to enjoy at a normal (ie softer than loud) listening volume.... This improves once you put headphones on or turn it up past a certain volume level, otherwise I can't hear the richness of the mix - it's all compressed too narrowly together to make out and just feels draggy, boring and constipated. I turn it up nowadays when I listen to the album to get the 'spacey' feel and I then enjoy it immensely, but I think you shouldn't have to do it if the mix was done properly in the first place :D

Otherwise it's a great album... Very rocky and imaginative indeed, and musically well-constructed - I just felt it was such a waste of good effort not getting the mix right! If they ever remaster it or do anything like that it would be a great opportunity to address that.

4. Cancelling the 2013 Latin American tour. Of course I do not live there but I'm sure a lot of those fans were quite upset.

I thought I didn't hate anything about Coldplay until you remind me the cancelled tour on 2013. That was really painful and I hate them for announcing it and cancelling it just 3 days after (only for that, because I love this band so much). They have forgotten this side of the world for 5 years. Plus they didn't tour Ghost Stories

And I also love-hate their lack of hints for AHFOD, or maybe they've done it but we haven't seen them.

Great thread ! There's actually a lot of thing about Coldplay I don't like. (in addition to many things that I love, of course).

- Coldplay going pop

- Coldplay dropping their melancholy and insecurity themes in favor of happiness and being upbeat

- the scratchiness of Chris's voice in GS

- the Love buttons

...to be continued soon

They are going slightly pop but really you can't even call it pop, it sounds so different than the stupid typical stuff on the radio today. But you have an argument for Chris and Avicii's "True Believer". That sounds nothing more than a normal pop beat, with an EDM twist, with a horrible sounding voice in the verse. (Talking about the album version). The live one is much better.

Personally, I don't really like Major Minus. The first 35 seconds are totally bland, uninspired, and kind of lame. (I'd rather listen to True Believer than the first 35 seconds, as bad as it is). The next parts are okay. 2:05-2:35 is pretty cool (they had so much potential in Aiko, why did they have to rework it into a song like this?) The last minute is okay. The live version is better...

They are going slightly pop but really you can't even call it pop

Yeah, I think people need to realize this...because there's pop and then there's Coldplay 'pop'....go take a listen to the former and I think you'll have a new found appreciation for recent Coldplay stuff.....you may not love the recent stuff, and I'm not asking you to, but it's quite a far cry from pop and I think we could appreciate Coldplay music just a little more....

Yeah, I think people need to realize this...because there's pop and then there's Coldplay 'pop'....go take a listen to the former and I think you'll have a new found appreciation for recent Coldplay stuff.....you may not love the recent stuff, and I'm not asking you to, but it's quite a far cry from pop and I think we could appreciate Coldplay music just a little more....

Well said! I would take Miracles, Amazing Day, or any song from Ghost Stories (even the ones I don't like) over just about all modern pop music.

I totally agree. Coldplay's version of "pop" is vastly different than the typical radio stuff nowadays. I really enjoy Coldplay's version of pop, in my opinion they do pop right. By no means does it compare to their previous works but Coldplay's version of pop is actually a really nice thing to listen to in my opinion over what you hear on the radio.

• Like 1

*checks thread about things that people dislike about Coldplay*

*people start criticising Chris's personal lifestyle*

I see nothing wrong with that, especially since some of us (correctly ?) feel that a different, more low-profile personal life of Chris may have prevented Coldplay becoming Coldpop (getting friends with the biggest pop acts etc.)