✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Club of coldplayers in a coldplaying hiatus

alisbe

I forgot to share this. When I went to the record store to buy AHFOD they were playing Trouble in the background. It was the most beautiful feeling because I haven't heard any Coldplay song being played in the store before.

That's awesome! What a nice coincidence, the only Coldplay songs I've ever heard in the store are Yellow, Viva La Vida, and ASFOS.

^ I can relate to that! Wouldn't say it's a bad album though at all, would say it musically amazing compared to other 'newplay' though

Though I believe that stuff like Stargate is keeping the album from reaching its full potential, the album is far better than expected. My opinion might change over time, but for now I'd rank it the highest among all the Newplay albums. I didn't think I'd like it this much, tbh.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I believe that stuff like Stargate is keeping the album from reaching its full potential, the album is far better than expected. My opinion might change over time, but for now I'd rank it the highest among all the Newplay albums. I didn't think I'd like it this much, tbh.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out weather I like this or MX better though hmmmm. I love the rockier sound of MX but I mean this is musically better agh the pain

I won't try to rank the albums. I think all of them have something that makes them special. In the case of AHFOD I think it's not their classical sound but when I listen to it I can feel this is so joyous that I forget my original thoughts and I start to enjoy it.

I won't try to rank the albums. I think all of them have something that makes them special. In the case of AHFOD I think it's not their classical sound but when I listen to it I can feel this is so joyous that I forget my original thoughts and I start to enjoy it.

It may not be 'classic' but it has some classic Coldplay in there if you look

It may not be 'classic' but it has some classic Coldplay in there if you look

Sure! And something they won't lose is their passion for playing music. Because even with their simplest songs they give us indescribable feelings. Coldplay is the only band that is able to play any kind of music while keeping their powerful sound. I will always love them for that.

There is plenty of classic Coldplay in there... the busy-ness of the music (ie plenty of layers although the sound is more pop in this album), the hooks (more so in the bass + beats in this album), the music is always moving towards something (even if it's a sudden stop in Birds or a detour into XMTS after Army of One) - sometimes it frames something eg the pealing piano by J+G before Chris starts singing in HFTW or Chris' ho-hum lyrics + singing together with the dark synth lines playing into the trap beat in XMTS. They have just morphed these into other less familiar sounds... and we just have to open our ears and keep up with what sounds they're trying to point us to

Talking about classic sound the other day I was listening to Strawberry Swing and I thought AOAL has a similar guitar riff. Another song that I can compare in terms of the message is We Never Change. In the song Chris sings about how he wanted to live his life while in Amazing Day he sings he has reached the stage in his life he wanted to live.

Out of interest, seeing as this is such a positive thread, what are people's thoughts on Army of One/ X Marks The Spot?

If you've read the thread for XMTS, you know my thoughts on this song... I've said elsewhere that people who think the lyrics are terrible are missing the point of the song... It's not the lyrics that are the focus - everything is in support of that BEAT! CM's "ba-boom, ba-boom, boom" line, the falling synths, that aggro dirty riffy guitar... it's all in service of that beat, and works to emphasise and amplify it. Will does it to perfection - it is sooo catchy, and full of life. I love that trap music sound effect, and how the music really "pops" and makes you wanna move...

Army of One is quite sophisticated in its own way... those synth background effects to lift that organ sound, the syncopated beats, and the lyrics just soar! It is CM (on behalf of the band) singing to the world what they are about, and that they believe in music and the "you" could well be their music fans around the world - in the end, each and every one of us is an army of one! Their heart truly is their gun!

If you've read the thread for XMTS, you know my thoughts on this song... I've said elsewhere that people who think the lyrics are terrible are missing the point of the song... It's not the lyrics that are the focus - everything is in support of that BEAT! CM's "ba-boom, ba-boom, boom" line, the falling synths, that aggro dirty riffy guitar... it's all in service of that beat, and works to emphasise and amplify it. Will does it to perfection - it is sooo catchy, and full of life. I love that trap music sound effect, and how the music really "pops" and makes you wanna move...

Army of One is quite sophisticated in its own way... those synth background effects to lift that organ sound, the syncopated beats, and the lyrics just soar! It is CM (on behalf of the band) singing to the world what they are about, and that they believe in music and the "you" could well be their music fans around the world - in the end, each and every one of us is an army of one! Their heart truly is their gun!

I've been avoiding that thread to be honest, when I looked initially it didn't seem particularly positive XD

I really enjoy them both, which in the case of X Marks The Spot is strange, because I wouldn't normally listen to that genre. Saying that, Coldplay's attempts at new things usually go down well with me anyway!

• Like 1

I've been avoiding that thread to be honest, when I looked initially it didn't seem particularly positive XD

I really enjoy them both, which in the case of X Marks The Spot is strange, because I wouldn't normally listen to that genre. Saying that, Coldplay's attempts at new things usually go down well with me anyway!

I've been around the Boards too long to get scared posting in any thread... I try to be respectful and not flame threads with comments where they don't belong, but if I feel strongly about something, I will post in the allocated thread (eg XMTS)... Unfortunately, I think half the time, the other side is not particularly interested in engaging in discussion / sharing of experiences, and the sides *politely* ignore each other's comments.

I'm glad you like both songs... I find them very listenable... And yes, I wouldn't usually listen to songs / sounds from that genre, but I try to be non-discriminatory with music... a good sound is a good sound, whether it comes from rock, classical, pop or hip-hop / R&B... I never particulalry liked rap but found Eminem incredible... he's just got so much talent with words and turns of phrase. I find Coldplay have a talent for immersing themselves into new soundscapes and sound like they belong there... they've always been good at this from the start - when I heard You Only Live Twice, followed by Bittersweet Symphony, Can't Get You Out of My Head, covers of Echo & The Bunnymen, REM, A-Ha, etc, I realised their real talent was to take on sounds and immerse themselves in it... Also over the years, CM has mentioned so many non-rock influences that it's not funny. So I am not surprised by what they have done with this album and the directions they have taken... I am delighted for them that they have finally decided to show their full selves and share this with us! As a fan, I will always be grateful that they made this decision to share a bigger part of their musical identity with us, although I know a lot of fans are puzzled, confused and non-plussed... I am simply delighted to finally see this part of them revealed in full glory! May they always be able to continue to do that...

• Like 2

Out of interest, seeing as this is such a positive thread, what are people's thoughts on Army of One/ X Marks The Spot?

First of all, I'm glad this thread became into a positive one.

Answering your question, I really like the two of them. I think they complement each other because in army of one Chris mentioned a treasure and X marks the spot is the hidden treasure.

The lyrics are very simple. I think we all agree on that. However that doesn't mean there aren't any emotions behind them. It's said that the best things in the world are the simplest ones. I think that's the message of the AOO. The "you" he mentions could be any of your loved ones because you'll fight for them any time they're in trouble and you feel stronger when they are around you.

Talking about X Marks The Spot the beat is catchy and I like that. I love dancing but the lyrics on most of those catchy songs are horrible. I dance because the rhythm is good and I just listen to them at parties. Whereas, Coldplay songs are good for any moment and make you feel good. I imagine myself listening to XMTS at a party, travelling, doing exercise, etc.

The reason why this album has brought a diversity of opinions is we're trying to rate it while we compare it with their previous work. There's nothing wrong with just trying to enjoy it without giving a number. We're used to it because at school or in competitions we're always looking for the number one or the best. However, not all the things can be rated. Music is one of those subjective things that will bring different thoughts and we won't agree with just one or we won't find an average. That's good because it makes this world interesting but sometimes it's better to enjoy what each piece of music has for us.

• Like 1

Well I personally don't like hip hop very much, so X marks the spot definitely isn't the best track to me, but I love the experimentation, it means that Coldplay is going outside of their comfort zone, which is good. Hymn for the Weekend instead is actually a pretty good song IMO. Yes the lyrics aren't the best but it's catchy and it has Beyonce so I'm not complaining

I've been around the Boards too long to get scared posting in any thread... I try to be respectful and not flame threads with comments where they don't belong, but if I feel strongly about something, I will post in the allocated thread (eg XMTS)... Unfortunately, I think half the time, the other side is not particularly interested in engaging in discussion / sharing of experiences, and the sides *politely* ignore each other's comments.

I'm glad you like both songs... I find them very listenable... And yes, I wouldn't usually listen to songs / sounds from that genre, but I try to be non-discriminatory with music... a good sound is a good sound, whether it comes from rock, classical, pop or hip-hop / R&B... I never particulalry liked rap but found Eminem incredible... he's just got so much talent with words and turns of phrase. I find Coldplay have a talent for immersing themselves into new soundscapes and sound like they belong there... they've always been good at this from the start - when I heard You Only Live Twice, followed by Bittersweet Symphony, Can't Get You Out of My Head, covers of Echo & The Bunnymen, REM, A-Ha, etc, I realised their real talent was to take on sounds and immerse themselves in it... Also over the years, CM has mentioned so many non-rock influences that it's not funny. So I am not surprised by what they have done with this album and the directions they have taken... I am delighted for them that they have finally decided to show their full selves and share this with us! As a fan, I will always be grateful that they made this decision to share a bigger part of their musical identity with us, although I know a lot of fans are puzzled, confused and non-plussed... I am simply delighted to finally see this part of them revealed in full glory! May they always be able to continue to do that...

With any luck, eventually I'll feel less worried about posting in some threads. I just hate being drawn into stupid arguments XD

First of all, I'm glad this thread became into a positive one.

Answering your question, I really like the two of them. I think they complement each other because in army of one Chris mentioned a treasure and X marks the spot is the hidden treasure.

The lyrics are very simple. I think we all agree on that. However that doesn't mean there aren't any emotions behind them. It's said that the best things in the world are the simplest ones. I think that's the message of the AOO. The "you" he mentions could be any of your loved ones because you'll fight for them any time they're in trouble and you feel stronger when they are around you.

Talking about X Marks The Spot the beat is catchy and I like that. I love dancing but the lyrics on most of those catchy songs are horrible. I dance because the rhythm is good and I just listen to them at parties. Whereas, Coldplay songs are good for any moment and make you feel good. I imagine myself listening to XMTS at a party, travelling, doing exercise, etc.

The reason why this album has brought a diversity of opinions is we're trying to rate it while we compare it with their previous work. There's nothing wrong with just trying to enjoy it without giving a number. We're used to it because at school or in competitions we're always looking for the number one or the best. However, not all the things can be rated. Music is one of those subjective things that will bring different thoughts and we won't agree with just one or we won't find an average. That's good because it makes this world interesting but sometimes it's better to enjoy what each piece of music has for us.

I agree, simple lyrics can still be emotional, and in the case of Coldplay, often are!

Diversity of opinions is pretty much always good, its just a shame that sometimes that can lead to arguments and divisions. It's true though, its easier to enjoy music in general if you don't try to compare it to things.

Are you not a GS fan then? Not that would be a problem, just wondering :)

I think Ghost Stories is a good album, but at the bottom of the Coldplay spectrum in terms of rankings. I loved the style of music and the theory of it a lot and what they were trying to achieve. The songs were good. And O/Fly On was actually brilliant, but that being said a lot of the songs were kinda forgettable. But if I ever need a good cry or some chill out music then GS is great. Otherwise, it's alright I suppose. But I think that's the point in a way.

So in short not bad, but not as good as the other albums. That being said it has such an amazing story and flow that I can't be too mad at it for long

I am simply delighted to finally see this part of them revealed in full glory! May they always be able to continue to do that...

I simply agree with everything you wrote in your long post. Even the Eminem part haha

What is this thread about btw? I just popped in and browsed but still cant figure it out hehe

I think Ghost Stories is a good album, but at the bottom of the Coldplay spectrum in terms of rankings. I loved the style of music and the theory of it a lot and what they were trying to achieve. The songs were good. And O/Fly On was actually brilliant, but that being said a lot of the songs were kinda forgettable. But if I ever need a good cry or some chill out music then GS is great. Otherwise, it's alright I suppose. But I think that's the point in a way.

So in short not bad, but not as good as the other albums. That being said it has such an amazing story and flow that I can't be too mad at it for long

Haha okay :)

I simply agree with everything you wrote in your long post. Even the Eminem part haha

What is this thread about btw? I just popped in and browsed but still cant figure it out hehe

Thank you! This thread was originally started by alisbe (and Jaytheblue joined soon after) as a way to "hide" from all the floating information (and to some extent, negativity) surrounding the album leak about 10 days ago :D Now that the album is out, I think we have sort of just made it our informal (more positive slant) discussion thread :p

Thank you! This thread was originally started by alisbe (and Jaytheblue joined soon after) as a way to "hide" from all the floating information (and to some extent, negativity) surrounding the album leak about 10 days ago :D Now that the album is out, I think we have sort of just made it our informal (more positive slant) discussion thread :p

It's basically what gentleparachute mentioned. When the album leak some of us didn't wanted to listen to it, we wanted to wait until the official release. Jaytheblue suggested to go in a "coldplaying hiatus" so we wouldn't spoiled ourselves reading all your comments. So I thought it could be a great idea to start a thread about it.