✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Club of coldplayers in a coldplaying hiatus

alisbe

I've been busy and unable to post much but I can't wait... this is my second album release as a Coldplay fan so even if I end up having mixed feelings about the album, it has still been a fun buildup. :)

Just like alisbe, I won't be watching the iHeart Radio release party show today but I will absolutely watch it tomorrow. And I'm glad you enjoy the album, gentleparachute. :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Thanks guys... Funnily enough, the tracks that are most immediate and catchy for me (of the ones I haven't heard) are XMTS and HFTW... They have a pretty good go of it, and the production for these are good! I already like AOAL, Amazing Day, Everglow + U&U... I'll wait until later when everyone's had a listen before posting more details of my impressions of the songs

I've been busy and unable to post much but I can't wait... this is my second album release as a Coldplay fan so even if I end up having mixed feelings about the album, it has still been a fun buildup. :)

Just like alisbe, I won't be watching the iHeart Radio release party show today but I will absolutely watch it tomorrow. And I'm glad you enjoy the album, gentleparachute. :)

Well, I said I wanted to watch it and I did it. But I take off my earphones when they played the new songs :)

And this is also the second time I've seen the band release a new album and so far this has been so exciting. Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

An hour for me now but I believe I'm gunna have to sleep before it comes out haha

Apparently the album is on iTunes in the US now (so probably Canada too). But, I think it might mean only for people on the East Coast. The music app for me says I can pay for the songs even though I already preordered. The iTunes store, however, does not list the album as for sale

Apparently the album is on iTunes in the US now (so probably Canada too). But, I think it might mean only for people on the East Coast. The music app for me says I can pay for the songs even though I already preordered. The iTunes store, however, does not list the album as for sale

I'm having a similar issue, it appears like if I had already bought all of the songs but they just haven't downloaded yet.

Usually the albums I have preordered before become available between 10 and 11pm. So I guess any minute now we'll get the new songs!

So the day has finally come, and I can safely say I am really, really loving this album! I can't understand the outpouring of negativity that was on the forum when it leaked last week... I guess it's down to people's personal opinions, but for me, this is just amazing. Definitely one to "shuffle your feet too" as Chris said!

In terms of a brief review, here it is:

1) A Head Full Of Dreams (10/10): A brilliant opener to the album. Guy's bass line is really nice, I feel like he's definitely come out of his shell over time, and this song is a prime example of that. I was a little concerned after I heard what sounded like electronic drums on the snippet that was released, but actually I don't mind them at all, they fit perfectly with the rest of the song. I can hear the U2 comparisons made by some people, but again I don't mind that - artists are all influenced by each other, and at its heart, this song is definitely Coldplay :)

2) Birds (10/10): I saw a lot of excitement for this one when the album leaked, and like AHFOD, I was unsure from the snippet as to what it w0uld sound like, but I can see why this is a favourite for many people. Again, everything comes together so well, and I'm loving the lyrics too! The only bit that throws me off slightly is the abrupt "Coo" ending - it confuses me a little but it actually works really well.

3) Hymn For The Weekend (8/10): This song didn't seem to have much hate aimed at it, but people didn't seem overly enthusiastic for it. I feel like it might take a little while for it to grow on me, but at the same time, that's not to say I don't like it, it's got a really interesting feel, and sounds like not Coldplay but still Coldplay at the same time (if that makes any sense). An interesting direction to try.

4) Everglow (9/10): Having heard repeatedly that Gwyneth Paltrow would be on this, I was listening out for her part the first time I listened (and somehow I managed to miss her bit) It's a really nice touch though. I like how its a little bit more piano driven, and I feel like I should have a lighter to hand listening to it :). One small negative might be Chris's voice, I'm not really sure why, there are just little bits that sound a bit dodgy, but otherwise it's great.

5) Adventure of a Lifetime (9/10): I remember being really excited to hear this on the radio, and I couldn't help smiling and dancing when it was first played. I've been trying not to kill it for myself by listening to it too much since then, and as a result, I had the same reaction when I played it today. Jonny's riff is just a thing of beauty, I wish I could play it! The disco groove is something that I would never normally associate with Coldplay, but I think that makes it all the better.

6) Fun (9/10): This was one I was really looking forward to, I was intrigued as to how the duet was going to work. I prefer it to Princess of China - if anything I'd like to hear a bit more of Tove Lo in this song! It's beautiful, one of those songs I could see myself listening to as the sun was setting on the horizon :)

7) Kaleidoscope (8/10): Another great interlude from Coldplay - I haven't got much to say on this one, but it's a nice break in the album. It fits the flow of the album too. I almost wish it was a bit longer! Obama's bit at the end is really nice too.

8) Army of One (9/10): A few people said they were a little disappointed it felt like it wasn't going anywhere, and was forgettable. I'm not entirely sure I can agree with either of these points, I've had it going round and round my head all day! The one little thing is the use of the word "beautiful-est" in the first verse - it threw me off a little the first listen through because it sounded a little odd

9) X Marks The Spot (8/10): I really don't understand what people have against this song. It's not something I'd usually listen to but it's actually a really nice addition, it's something else which isn't typical Coldplay but is great in part because of that - it feels like they are experimenting and trying new things and it works. Even the "ba-ba-boom-boom..." lyric isn't as bad to me as most people seem to find it!

10) Amazing Day (9/10): This isn't too far removed from the live versions I've heard, but the little sound effects in there give it something it didn't have before. Another beautiful song which weirdly enough works next to X Marks The Spot. This seems to be one the forum generally likes... and to think after Global Citizen, people were complaining about the name ;)

11) Colour Spectrum (8/10): As the penultimate track, this works really well, bringing things back together - the little snippets of other songs on the album popping up is a nice addition. Not much to say again, but it works really well with the flow of the album.

12) Up&Up (8.5/10): From the live version I'd heard on Radio 1, I had high hopes for this song. In comparison, the studio version just feels a little empty, possibly because of the lack of piano. That minor grumble aside, it's a really nice closer and quite upbeat. I love the two solos though, Noel Gallagher was the right man to call! I thought the 6 min length might bother me but it doesn't feel like it's dragging at any point. The "believe in love" ending is a excellent way to bring the album to a close too.

In general, this is a brilliant album. Coldplay yet again showing they know how to make good music! It might not appeal to everyone, but for me, it feels like the natural follow up to Ghost Stories, and I'm so grateful to the band for it :) (Sorry for the long post...)

I've listened to the complete album once and some of the songs a few times... But so far I think it's good!

It's different from what I had imagined and of course I'd love for them to do something like the coldplay I first fell in love with (I think many of us do), but at the same time I'm glad they don't, it keeps things interesting.

Although, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with Up&Up. I loved the live tidal version and the album one felt a bit bland...

I've listened to the complete album once and some of the songs a few times... But so far I think it's good!

It's different from what I had imagined and of course I'd love for them to do something like the coldplay I first fell in love with (I think many of us do), but at the same time I'm glad they don't, it keeps things interesting.

Although, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with Up&Up. I loved the live tidal version and the album one felt a bit bland...

I don't mind the beginning of Up&Up, because IMO it seems like it starts empty kinda like you want something, and then slowly but surely it gains momentum and t gives hope. The transition is pretty metaphorical to me aha

I'm still giving the album time to sink in... For me, it's often a confused tangle of conflicting emotions when I first hear a new Coldplay album, but usually after awhile, every one of them eventually settles in, and then with time, I get a sense of where the album sits in their whole discography... I was so crestfallen when X&Y first came out, but then rediscovered it sometime later... disliked MX initially but then reconnected when I saw it in context of their touring, even Viva wasn't easy to digest for awhile... So I am going to do my usual, and give it time... In saying this, a few of their songs are more immediate and accessible than usual, and I usually rely on these to help me sink my teeth into the whole album and keep me interested :)

Finally I listened to it. While I was writing this review I listened to it for the second time.

I'm feeling the same way as @gentleparachute, I'm not sure how to feel about it. IMO it feels like a mess in some parts. I can hear a lot of styles and genres.

However, I love most of the songs. The only ones that disappointed me are Kaleidoscope and Color Spectrum. In terms of interludes, MX was so much better than AHFOD because they're connected with each other. You can listen to it without noticing they're separated songs.

The first time I heard Hymn for the Weekend I didn't like it. Maybe it was because I hear it in a low quality speaker. The second time I like it and I enjoy the sound, Beyonce did a great job.

My favorite one so far is Everglow. I just love it. I can't describe what I feel when I listen to it.

In general, I think I will love it if I don't listen to the songs that disappointed me. I'll give it 8/10

I really enjoy the poem, one of the most thought provoking and interesting tracks on the album and the music just goes so well!

The poem has been so inspiring for me. I'm so grateful they decided to share it. But, I don't like the way it's said.

Hm yeah the Obama dude that's not Obama is a hit or miss :)

I think they wanted someone who sounded "important" / authoritative... Coleman Barks fits that well, and the flow goes very well with the piano... But yeah it's funny - I'm getting a riot of emotions with this album... Mostly positive and happy, but the later albums do lack the freshness that make me want to go back and listen obsessively to their new output - it may be that overall, music plays a less important part in my life now, and also that I've got more exposure to music in general, so nothing's that fresh anymore. AHFOD feels almost like homework in a sense, which is not great given it is supposed to draw you back for more listens, to tease out the details... Although I'm always pleased afterward that I put it on in the first place... It's almost a bit like having a bit too much chocolate, I feel a bit sick afterward. It is interesting, because I feel like their actual musicianship / instrument playing has improved... so it's a bit strange hearing something that sounds better, but not wanting as much of it.

I also think my response to the album is also reflective of my own pre-existing emotions at the time... When I'm bright and full-of-energy, it feels like such a beautiful album, but it sounds a bit dull when I am in a more tired / jaded mood. Their previous albums didn't seem to do this, and brought your emotions to a certain place...

I forgot to share this. When I went to the record store to buy AHFOD they were playing Trouble in the background. It was the most beautiful feeling because I haven't heard any Coldplay song being played in the store before.

Oh that's so cool! My school once played Violet Hill one morning before class and it made my day :)