✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#Resist

I ran away

I just saw this photo. At first I thought it was photoshopped, but turns out it is real !

I just wanted to share it because I think it's such a powerful photo.

resist.jpg.a27882ab330aeadaf157644302383f14.jpg

With those huge marches in all of the biggest American cities (as well as everywhere in the world), I have gained hope there will be something like a new strengthened civil rights movement in the US. And given the range of discriminatory/offensive regulations Trump has already started signing, it is probably needed more than ever. Maybe, like in the 60s, people will start to care more about the society they live in ?

What do you think ?

• Like 6

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first time seeing that photo, but that's really cool. What gives me hope is that Trump's favorability ratings are at an all-time low - they were like 32% or something the last time I checked. Also there has been a rise in various websites, Facebook groups of people that regret voting for Trump. So I'm glad that people are waking up, although of course it's a little too late. I'm also happy that people from other countries take an interest in & care about what is going on here. My hope is that the Democrats can take over Congress in 2018 with the progressive movement. I'd encourage everyone to get involved in the midterm elections and vote in ACTUAL PROGRESSIVE Democrats and ditch all the corporate $hills that are currently in there (pretty much all of them). There are two movements that I'm aware of that are attempting to change the Democratic Party completely to make it a viable party of the people, for the people:

1. https://brandnewcongress.org

2. https://justicedemocrats.com - has the stated goal of running "a unified campaign to replace every corporate-backed member of Congress and rebuild the party from scratch"

Sign up, donate, and nominate candidates at these websites. Maybe even run yourself!

Let's take this country back from the billionaires!

• Like 3

Interesting links ! Yeah, the Democrats really need to be reformed. Hillary was so clearly dishonest and "part of the system" that she was unvotable for many people who actually hated Trump, actually I think to a large extent it's the Democrats's fault we have this horrible person in charge of the White House now. If they had chosen Bernie or anyone else more authentic and progressive...

Also, I am sick of the two-party system, which does not do the term democracy justice, imho. If any party that is not Democrats or Republicans is by default banned from the debates and ignored by major news media outlets, power will always only go back and forth between those two parties. Other parties are artificially kept out of the game, it's really ridiculous, like the school's two biggest bullies ban all the other kids from the playground, lol. A diverse society is imho better reflected in a diverse party system....

• Like 4

Interesting links ! Yeah, the Democrats really need to be reformed. Hillary was so clearly dishonest and "part of the system" that she was unvotable for many people who actually hated Trump, actually I think to a large extent it's the Democrats's fault we have this horrible person in charge of the White House now. If they had chosen Bernie or anyone else more authentic and progressive...

Also, I am sick of the two-party system, which does not do the term democracy justice, imho. If any party that is not Democrats or Republicans is by default banned from the debates and ignored by major news media outlets, power will always only go back and forth between those two parties. Other parties are artificially kept out of the game, it's really ridiculous, like the school's two biggest bullies ban all the other kids from the playground, lol. A diverse society is imho better reflected in a diverse party system....

Yeah, it's definitely the Democrats' fault all the way, although they will NEVER EVER admit it. They had a DNC "debate" a week ago I think and it really showed how they are a lost cause as they currently are. It was depressing to watch lol.

I completely agree about the whole two-party system but, unfortunately, third parties may not be viable at this point due to the way the system works. We would have to change the inner workings of the political party system in order for that to happen and there isn't much time left until the next election. As far as the present moment is concerned, it's better to transform the Democratic Party in the way I just mentioned. I think it is our best shot!

Bernie :sob::sob:

my friend shared this video with me before the election in November, it really explains why the system sucks so much and sort of how it came to be...

i feel like so many things in the way our government is run need to be changed, but our society changes so much faster than our government can and with so much to change, where do you start?

Bernie :sob::sob:

Bernie would have won, of course. And he is still in Congress, calling out the fakes, handing their asses to them, and fighting for the people.

my friend shared this video with me before the election in November, it really explains why the system sucks so much and sort of how it came to be...

i feel like so many things in the way our government is run need to be changed, but our society changes so much faster than our government can and with so much to change, where do you start?

Interesting video. I do think that although the voting system itself is theoretically imperfect, our gov't & the media make it worse by not allowing 3rd parties to present themselves properly, propping up the candidate that they want, and of course all the money that influences the election as well as the election fraud(s) that occur on multiple levels in our already weak voting system.

• Like 2

Bernie would have won, of course. And he is still in Congress, calling out the fakes, handing their asses to them, and fighting for the people.

Interesting video. I do think that although the voting system itself is theoretically imperfect, our gov't & the media make it worse by not allowing 3rd parties to present themselves properly, propping up the candidate that they want, and of course all the money that influences the election as well as the election fraud(s) that occur on multiple levels in our already weak voting system.

he would have won, he's always out fighting for us and that's why it hurts so much :(

you're absolutely right, even the littlest imperfections get exacerbated by so many outside forces

Sorry for the rant that is about to follow, but let me just leave my anger here over the fact that yesterday Trump signed that deeply racist executive order on immigration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-muslim-refugee-ban-executive-action

I was just thinking back to my year in the US. When I was working at an American university last year, I personally got to know several people working or studying there who are going to be affected by this. As someone who had to apply for three visas last year and was worried every single time that it might be rejected for whatever reason, I can't imagine how harrowing it must be if suddenly you are banned from getting a visa and either stuck in US and cannot go home because you couldn't come back to your work or studies OR cannot resume them because you are stuck home now at the moment the order was signed.

This has nothing to do with terrorism (I mean, just look at the countries that are NOT on the list, as in, all the countries the 9/11 attackers came from, for example !). This order is just plain racist, discriminatory and shameful.

If all these things (immigration ban, anti-abortion measures, wall against Mexico, measures against 'sanctuary cities' etc.) are the doings of Trump's first five days in office only, I don't wanna know what he has in store for the next four years. This could easily be a slippery slope we are on now.

Today it's 'them', tomorrow it could be 'you' !

I can only hope Americans will take to the streets in millions and millions at some point...

• Like 2

Sorry for the rant that is about to follow, but let me just leave my anger here over the fact that yesterday Trump signed that deeply racist executive order on immigration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-muslim-refugee-ban-executive-action

I was just thinking back to my year in the US. When I was working at an American university last year, I personally got to know several people working or studying there who are going to be affected by this. As someone who had to apply for three visas last year and was worried every single time that it might be rejected for whatever reason, I can't imagine how harrowing it must be if suddenly you are banned from getting a visa and either stuck in US and cannot go home because you couldn't come back to your work or studies OR cannot resume them because you are stuck home now at the moment the order was signed.

This has nothing to do with terrorism (I mean, just look at the countries that are NOT on the list, as in, all the countries the 9/11 attackers came from, for example !). This order is just plain racist, discriminatory and shameful.

If all these things (immigration ban, anti-abortion measures, wall against Mexico, measures against 'sanctuary cities' etc.) are the doings of Trump's first five days in office only, I don't wanna know what he has in store for the next four years. This could easily be a slippery slope we are on now.

I can only hope Americans will take to the streets in millions and millions at some point...

and this came on Holocaust Remembrance day. it's disgusting and i'm certain unconstitutional. i've also seen people saying that the countries that are exempt from this are places that Trump has business ties to. i haven't seen actual sources for that but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

So I just read the ban even includes Green Card Holders...!

And for the record, the home country of our favorite band, under the leadership of Mrs Theresa Brexit-May, stands with Trump on this one. Disgusting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-donald-trump-immigration-ban-muslim-turkey-refugee-refuses-to-condemn-latest-a7551121.html

• Like 2

Maybe some day the people who supported him will also start being affected by these actions (I'm sure they will be, just that it will be hard for them to admit it), and then they will get a taste of their own fascist medicine. Maybe then will they wake up.

Last night I was talking with a group of people who talked about many of Trump's executive actions as if they were a good thing. I couldn't believe what I was listening to. I was so disgusted by that conversation that I had to leave; I can't help but respect them less because of it. It made me wonder where all these people come from. The U.S. is literally made up of immigrants; almost everyone who lives here had to immigrate. How deluded can you get.

• Like 2

Rant continues. I am just still so angry right now, and I'll tell you why...

So all the time I've been asking myself, does it actually include dual citizenship holders ?

Now I have read it in several news outlets: it does.

Meaning I don't have to look elsewhere anymore: I have just been banned from the US myself!

It might surprise some of you, but due to my family roots I actually hold dual citizenship of Germany and one of the "countries on the list".

In the end it's just arbitrary discrimination. So sad and so angry right now.

Maybe I should consider it an honor to be banned from Trump's version of the USA, though ?

I have been thinking back on everything I experienced in the year abroad and it made me so bitter and sad. It doesn't feel all that long since I worked and payed taxes in this country, I was thinking of going back one day and maybe live there and now it's basically saying "You're unwelcome".

And honestly, last year in spring, this:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.de650376563e5885e59d45aab05b1bfd.JPG

This year in spring, I would not even be let into the country.

• Like 1

So all the time I've been asking myself, does it actually include dual citizenship holders ?

Meaning I don't have to look elsewhere anymore: I have just been banned from the US myself!

It might surprise some of you, but due to my family roots I actually hold dual citizenship of Germany and one of the "countries on the list".

Maybe I should consider it an honor to be banned from Trump's version of the USA, though ?

I have been thinking back on everything I experienced in the year abroad and it made me so bitter and sad. It doesn't feel all that long since I worked and payed taxes in this country, I was thinking of going back one day and maybe live there and now it's basically saying "You're unwelcome".

[ATTACH=full]6682[/ATTACH]

i'm really sorry to hear that. this is not what my country is supposed to stand for. :(:broken_heart:

• Like 1

After his election a lot of people said it wouldn't go that easily to realise his election promises.

But, it's just unbelievable what that man already managed to achieve in his first week!

This really is starting to get scary.

A lot of people are affected by his actions, in the US and abroad.

@IRan Away, I'm so sorry that you are affected by this too. It's sad that a lot of people's dreams and lives are being destroyed.

I can only hope there will be resistance and disapproval from all over the world.

• Like 3

Meanwhile in Belgium: our State Secretary for asylum and migration shared an article on twitter that calls everyone who's radically against the ban hysterical and says that some parts of the plan (refusing refugees from those 7 countries) are "reasonable and prudent".

Great :)))))) everything's going great :)))))))

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]6682[/ATTACH]

Aw, that SUCKS, I feel bad for you and everyone that's affected by this. I hope that this won't go on for long. The protests give me hope that America isn't sleeping. This can't go on for too long, I think something is bound to happen in the near future, whether Trump will be kicked out or something else. There are already almost half a million signatures to impeach him (https://www.impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org), although honestly I don't know if that is the best idea since they say his VP may be just as bad. Stay strong.

i'm really sorry to hear that. this is not what my country is supposed to stand for. :(:broken_heart:

The North American Ambassador has spoken. ;)

Meanwhile in Belgium: our State Secretary for asylum and migration shared an article on twitter that calls everyone who's radically against the ban hysterical and says that some parts of the plan (refusing refugees from those 7 countries) are "reasonable and prudent".

Great :)))))) everything's going great :)))))))

I guess no country is immune to fascism, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Aw, that SUCKS, I feel bad for you and everyone that's affected by this. I hope that this won't go on for long. The protests give me hope that America isn't sleeping. This can't go on for too long, I think something is bound to happen in the near future, whether Trump will be kicked out or something else. There are already almost half a million signatures to impeach him (https://www.impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org), although honestly I don't know if that is the best idea since they say his VP may be just as bad. Stay strong.

i have a bad feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better. but i do also think there are so many people here who are willing to fight back and continue fighting for as long as it takes, which is very inspiring.

• Like 3

I'm from rural Ohio. Most of my friends IRL support Trump. A lot of them hate Muslims and are very nationalistic. They believe that the U.S. is a Christian state and that racism doesn't exist.

I consider cutting them out of my life all the time. I didn't know they were that way until they started sharing their views on social media. My conscience isn't clear.

• Like 1

That must be so hard :\

The one time one of my facebook friends shared something vomited into the world by a racist party, I immediately defriended her, but I barely knew her in the first place so anyway. There's a Trump fan among my facebook friends atm and the weird thing is that it's someone I know from here, a Coldplay fan... It baffles me how someone can be a Trump fan and a Coldplay fan at the same time tbh.

• Like 3

I'm from rural Ohio. Most of my friends IRL support Trump. A lot of them hate Muslims and are very nationalistic. They believe that the U.S. is a Christian state and that racism doesn't exist.

I consider cutting them out of my life all the time. I didn't know they were that way until they started sharing their views on social media. My conscience isn't clear.

Sometimes it's not practical to cut them out of your life completely, like in my case for example. Sometimes the best you can do is try to challenge their views and try to get along as best as you can.

I think that racism is due to a lack of exposure to other people. It's sometimes coupled with a dogma, philosophy, or teaching which spreads the fear around. Those people just need to get out more, travel more and see other places and diversity of people. I remember when I saw a black person for the first time - I was horrified. It just takes some learning.

• Like 2

Apparently more and more Republicans find the project to put up a wall between the US and Mexico too expensive.

If Trump can't convince them that he can "earn back" the costs, they are planning to vote against the finance plan in Congress.