✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#Resist

I ran away

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there is a new immigration ban, starting on March 16.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/06/us/politics/trump-travel-ban-groups.html?_r=0

Haven't heard or seen so much news coverage about it yet, unlike the first ban. I just hope it's not because people are "getting used to" this kind of things by the Trump administration. The new ban may be a bit less stringent than the first one for legal reasons (green card holders, dual nationals allowed), but other than that it's just as discriminatory and nonsensical. I hope it will receive an appropriate backlash.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/06/us/politics/trump-travel-ban-groups.html?_r=0

Haven't heard or seen so much news coverage about it yet, unlike the first ban. I just hope it's not because people are "getting used to" this kind of things by the Trump administration. The new ban may be a bit less stringent than the first one for legal reasons (green card holders, dual nationals allowed), but other than that it's just as discriminatory and nonsensical. I hope it will receive an appropriate backlash.

i think there are still a lot of people speaking out against this, but you're right in that it's not being covered as extremely as the first one, maybe because this one we've been expecting? we knew he was going to release another version. but i also think that there were probably a good chunk of people against the first one because of those issues you listed that have been properly addressed in this one, so maybe it's those voices we aren't hearing this time. :\

• Like 1

It is called desensitization, a well known technique originally medical, but used by politicians (& others) all the time:

desensitization: n a condition of insusceptibility to infection or an allergen; established in experimental animals by the injection of an antigen that produces sensitization or an anaphylactic reaction. After recovery, a second injection of the antigen is made, bringing about no reaction and thus producing desensitization.

or in other words : the process or fact of becoming less aware of something, especially a problem or something bad, by becoming used to it

so if something stops being mentioned in the news, it doesn't mean it has actually stopped, it probably means it is not "new", that people got used to or got fed up with. As long they are not the ones directly affected, people will mostly forget about it & become interested in the next hot topic..Such a beautiful world we live in, isn't it?

• Like 2

It is called desensitization, a well known technique originally medical, but used by politicians (& others) all the time:

so if something stops being mentioned in the news, it doesn't mean it has actually stopped, it probably means it is not "new", that people got used to or got fed up with. As long they are not the ones directly affected, people will mostly forget about it & become interested in the next hot topic..Such a beautiful world we live in, isn't it?

Yeah I completely agree, that's the problem with most people, unless it is directly causing them issues they won't truly care about it.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you there. All of a sudden, some topics get dropped from the news and are silently replaced by the next big thing. This effect of desensitization is the reason why Edward Snowden asked the journalists he gave his materials to to release the information piece by piece, over a longer period of time, so that it would stay in the news and not be a one-time shocker that is forgotten about as quickly as it came.

Also agree with you and antdrew that most people seem to only care about issues that affect them personally.

• Like 1

Yeah I completely agree, that's the problem with most people, unless it is directly causing them issues they won't truly care about it.

Completely agree with you there. All of a sudden, some topics get dropped from the news and are silently replaced by the next big thing. This effect of desensitization is the reason why Edward Snowden asked the journalists he gave his materials to to release the information piece by piece, over a longer period of time, so that it would stay in the news and not be a one-time shocker that is forgotten about as quickly as it came.

Also agree with you and antdrew that most people seem to only care about issues that affect them personally.

I forgot to mention that not only people care if they are directly affected, but also even if they are the ones affected they won't show the proper reaction;

for example, consider the officials want to increase the taxes by 10% but know this will cause uproar, so they firstly announce or leak rumours they are increasing them by 30%. People will make a fuss about it & it will become a hot topic where everyone speaks about its pros & cons. The officials then deny said rumours, which makes the people sigh of relief & get on with their lives. Sometime later the initial planned 10% increase is made official & will mostly get no objection because it is better in theory than the previous rumour.

These techniques never get old..

• Like 3

Nice to see it confirmed - no American media, Dutch people aren't angry and aren't voting for this asshole en masse.

Also nice to see: the youngest group among the voters (18-24) clearly prefer the progressive parties (24% of them voted for the green party and 23% for the liberal left-wing party)

I hope we'll get a similar result in Belgium when it comes to the progressive parties.

• Like 1

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/15/520171478/trump-travel-ban-faces-court-hearings-by-challengers-today

U.S. District Court Judge Derrick K. Watson has issued a nationwide temporary restraining order, preventing President Trump's revised travel ban from taking effect at midnight Wednesday. Trump's executive order would have temporarily halted the U.S. refugee program and travel from six Muslim-majority countries.

Department of Justice attorneys argued that the ban was necessary to protect the nation's security and that it had been revised to address legal concerns. State attorneys general and immigrant rights activists argued the travel ban amounted to an unconstitutional Muslim ban.

The federal court in Hawaii was one of three courts to hear challenges to the travel ban Wednesday.

• Like 3

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/15/520171478/trump-travel-ban-faces-court-hearings-by-challengers-today

U.S. District Court Judge Derrick K. Watson has issued a nationwide temporary restraining order, preventing President Trump's revised travel ban from taking effect at midnight Wednesday. Trump's executive order would have temporarily halted the U.S. refugee program and travel from six Muslim-majority countries.

Department of Justice attorneys argued that the ban was necessary to protect the nation's security and that it had been revised to address legal concerns. State attorneys general and immigrant rights activists argued the travel ban amounted to an unconstitutional Muslim ban.

The federal court in Hawaii was one of three courts to hear challenges to the travel ban Wednesday.

Yesss !!!

But seriously, this stop-and-go game is annoying and already affecting a lot of people's lives. I deactivated my Facebook account a while ago for various reasons, one of them being the overload of Trump-related posts, but before that, well, I had made a lot of acquaintances with people from those and other countries who study or work in the US back when I was there, and on Facebook I saw that all their family lives are pretty messed up cause this administration is unpredictable - no one dares to leave the country to see their familes at home because they could get stuck there and not be allowed to return, families in turn don't dare to book expensive flights because it is unclear if they will be let in at the border and students don't apply for visas in the first place because they may get cancelled, trying for Canada or other countries instead. The US is very good in science and academia but in the long run this ridiculous game is going to harm this and other fields that rely heavily on international exchange.

I hope it will get settled once and for all soon, but somehow I know Trump and his people will not stop trying.

• Like 1

Yesss !!!

But seriously, this stop-and-go game is annoying and already affecting a lot of people's lives. I deactivated my Facebook account a while ago for various reasons, one of them being the overload of Trump-related posts, but before that, well, I had made a lot of acquaintances with people from those and other countries who study or work in the US back when I was there, and on Facebook I saw that all their family lives are pretty messed up cause this administration is unpredictable - no one dares to leave the country to see their familes at home because they could get stuck there and not be allowed to return, families in turn don't dare to book expensive flights because it is unclear if they will be let in at the border and students don't apply for visas in the first place because they may get cancelled, trying for Canada or other countries instead. The US is very good in science and academia but in the long run this ridiculous game is going to harm this and other fields that rely heavily on international exchange.

I hope it will get settled once and for all soon, but somehow I know Trump and his people will not stop trying.

i know what you mean. in a way, this is great because it lets us see that our system does work - or at least can work sometimes :P but i can only imagine how frustrating/scary it must be for the people who are most directly impacted :(

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the culture of sexual harassment. If you can do it and become president, why shouldn't you get away with it in other jobs as well ?

https://www.google.de/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/business/media/trump-oreilly-fox-murdochs.amp.html

And in case the name Bill O'Reilly strikes a chord...yes, it's the guy of Violet Hill fame ! :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20080626

• 1 month later...