Norah Jones

Guy'sChick

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Wow. Some new Nojo news.

Shes doing this thing with this guy. And shes cursing and swearing a bluestreak. :stunned:

Oh. And shes guesting on the new Richard Julien album what came out recently...And staring in a film by some chinese dude about Hurricane Katrina.

• 1 year later...

Looking for the next Norah Jones

20070530__20070601_FF1_AE01MUNORAH~p1.JPG

Ever since Norah Jones hit gold or platinum, more accurately, as her debut sold more than 20 million copies worldwide, everyone wants to be her, or, as in this case, take her picture, as shown here at Cannes, France, in May. (Getty Images / Pascal Le Segretain)

Looking for the next Norah Jones |It's no secret that record companies love the RIYL sticker they put on CDs. The Fray was recommended if you like Coldplay. Panic! At the Disco was recommended if you like Fall Out Boy.

Unknown bands that sound like popular bands are good for the major labels' business, and that's why the FM airwaves are such a bore. But music critics see even further into this obnoxious sameness, because for every sound-alike act that sells a million copies, there are 25 others whose careers are stillborn and left with boxes full of CDs, unfulfilled dreams and quiet MySpace pages.

One of the most fascinating unofficial competitions of the past decade has been the race to be the next Norah Jones. Ever since the songwriter hit gold - or platinum, more accurately, as her debut sold more than 20 million copies worldwide - everyone wants to be Norah.

This isn't like the rush of snarky pop-punk in the wake of blink-182 or the flush of dancey synth-pop in the Killers' aftermath. This is bigger.

"Any time anybody sells records in those numbers, people are going to want on that bandwagon," said Mark Bliesner of Band Guru Management, "and you certainly did see a number of signings, although maybe not a lot of successes, after Norah first hit."

There was Ray LaMontagne and Nellie McKay, Amos Lee and Jane Monheit (to an extent), Michael Bublé and Diana Krall. Jamie Cullum? Yep, him too.

They were all being marketed as "the next Norah Jones," sometimes because of their music style, sometimes because of their accessible jazz affiliations, sometimes because of their potential appeal to such a broad audience - that last nut being the key to Jones' success.

But none of them - not even the recently hot Bublé, who debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts two weeks ago - has come close to matching Jones' appeal.

Jones, who plays Red Rocks tonight, is one of the unlikeliest success stories in popular music's recent history. Her debut "Come Away With Me" was extremely listenable with the jazz sprigs that grew soulfully out of its pop rooting. "Don't Know Why" was an easy radio hit, a smash score for Jones and her writers, Jesse Harris and Lee Alexander.

With Jones on the piano and her Handsome Band filling out the rest, her music nailed down the sometimes-squirrelly definition of the AAA radio format, which local powerhouse KBCO helped define. It's easy on the ears and entertaining, paying homage to roots musicians of decades past while still providing modernity and a slight edge.

Jones' cool breeze of a voice reminded her fans of everyone from Katherine Whalen to Rickie Lee Jones. Amazingly, her debut went on to sell more than 10 million copies in the U.S. and nearly 20 million copies worldwide.

Who wouldn't want to emulate such widespread success? And who's to say Jones hasn't opened doors for the artists who have followed in her footsteps?

"I wonder if Amy Winehouse would have gotten the marketing push she's getting, as diverse as her sound is, were it not for Norah," said bandguru.com's Bliesner, who is also a professor in the music business department at the University of Colorado at Denver. "This is still an industry based on cookie-cutter mentality, and Norah helped open up a new cookie cutter for the labels to sample."

But not even Jones could give a proper repeat performance to "Come Away With Me." Her follow-up record, "Feels Like Home," went platinum, but even with a multiplatinum DVD, "Live in New Orleans," and her new record, "Not Too Late," those three releases combined don't compare with the success of her debut.

But has Jones' noticeable sales fall-off put a damper on the mimickry? Hardly. New York mags and blogs such as Time Out and Brooklyn Vegan can't stop comparing buzzy singer-songwriter Christina Courtin to Jones. And the press materials for Amy LaVere's new record, "Anchors & Anvils," can't help but invoke Norah with the same excitement.

Not that they needed to mention her name, because the album's cover - showing LaVere in soft focus looking elegant with creamy skin, warm eyes and wavy brown hair - makes the implied comparison to Jones obvious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norah Jones

POP|Red Rocks Amphitheatre, 7:30 p.m. tonight with M. Ward opening|$48-50-$60| ticketmaster.com, 303-830-8497

----------------------------------------

Echoes of Norah

Norah Jones' music has an enviably large audience, and other jazz-informed singers are going after that mammoth slice of the mainstream. Three of them are coming to Denver this summer.

Amy LaVere: Her voice is as sweet as an angel's, and while her music blurs the curious line between progressive jazz and alt-country, it's obvious she shares some vocal stylings with Jones. June 12, Dulcinea's 100th Monkey.

Michael Bublé: He likes his music bigger than Jones' compositions - ideally in the swing and big band traditions. He's more of a Harry Connick Jr. type, but his rather recent emergence links him more closely with Jones. July 18, Wells Fargo Theatre.

Diana Krall: It's fair to say Krall would not be playing the big joints were it not for her jazz music's pop and rock edges, some of them informed by her husband and sometime songwriting partner, Elvis Costello. Aug. 27, Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6023868

• 3 weeks later...

Norah Jones - Live at SWR3 Hautnah ..., 2007

01 Sunrise

02 Thinking About You

03 Not To Late

04 Not My Friend

05 Until The End

06 Creepin In

07 The Long Way Home

08 Little Room

09 Be My Somebody

10 Rosies Lullaby

11 Come Away With Me

*Linkie Removed*

• 11 months later...

bump

i like norah jones. i go through random phases when i get really into her but since i don't have any of her songs on my itunes i go online and listen on youtube. i'm in one of those phases right now

any other fans?

• 1 year later...