🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Snow Patrol Thread

fifi

Hey, Mer! Good to hear the movie was enjoyable. :)

and thanks again for the kind words :kiss:

As for your friend's mix... I'd say definitely do You're All I Have, Hands Open, and Chocolate. Chasing Cars, of course, too. I personally also love Spitting Games, Signal Fire, Just Say Yes(!), and If There's A Rocket. Those are (for the most part) more up-beat and were songs that made a good first impression on me the first time I heard them. I love them all, of course, but some took longer to grow on me. I'm anxious to hear others' suggestions!

well, I'm tipsy and tired and should be off now. ;) have a good night!

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha Jen, I agree it's hard to top those three - i try all the time on the Gary board, but no luck...bahah. I seriously get more news/pics, AWESOME vids here than anywhere (obvi)...and trust me - you are all all-stars compared to me!

So I am seeing a friend next week who needs a real pick-me-up. I wanted to make her a SP mix...she is really into Lady Gaga, Lady Hawke, No Doubt, Stevie Nicks (and Fleetwood Mac), and Hole. Anyone have any suggestions for songs to put on a cd for her that would get her hooked? She hasn't heard any of their songs - so obviously I'll have to put "Run" on there but what else should a first-timer hear...hmmm..

who? me? the Gary board? eh? you mean on SP.com?

i just lurk around in there...never post...don't think i have... :uhoh:

but, honestly, i don't really have a repository of SP stuff in my PC or laptop. i just go around online randomly searching for SP stuff when i'm bored or just feel like skivving off my uni work & then post them here if i think it's worth posting.

& i should add, you girls do a great job finding SP stuff too! :D

as for your mixtape for your friend...i'm only familiar with Lady Gaga & No Doubt from the list you gave of what your friend listens to. but these'd be my suggestions, which i think will look kinda similar to Jen's :

Chasing Cars

Run

Chocolate

How To Be Dead

Ask Me How I Am

Set Fire To The Third Bar

An Olive Grove Facing The Sea

Shut Your Eyes

If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It

Tiny Little Fractures

The Planets Bend Between Us (album version)

Take Back The City

Spitting Games

Never Gonna Fall In Love Again

Just Say Yes

When You're Right, You're Right (Darth Vader Bringing In His Washing Mix)

...right. i'm going to stop here, before i end up listing just about every other track from all their albums. :P

Can't wait to get Up to Now. I'm glad it's not a 'greatest hits' package.

You'll love it! It's really great and the new songs are fantastic, IMO.

as for your mixtape for your friend...i'm only familiar with Lady Gaga & No Doubt from the list you gave of what your friend listens to. but these'd be my suggestions, which i think will look kinda similar to Jen's :

An Olive Grove Facing The Sea

Never Gonna Fall In Love Again

When You're Right, You're Right (Darth Vader Bringing In His Washing Mix)

...right. i'm going to stop here, before i end up listing just about every other track from all their albums. :P

Is the original version of An Olive Grove much different from Gary's version on Up to Now? I STILL haven't gotten the first two albums, or even heard it. :shame:

and where can I find the other two songs??

:blush: Why, thank you, Meredith! I'm only useful when Bianca, Elena and Kimmi aren't around! :P

Ah, come on Jen, that's not true! You're always a great help, too! :) But thanks anyway. :blush:

And the two songs Kimmi mentioned, "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" and "When You're Right, You're Right (Darth Vader Bringing In His Washing Mix)". They're both on their first album "Songs for Polarbears". ;) It's a great album, I just recently got more and more into it. :cheesy: If you have a chance, get your hands on the first two albums, I'm sure you'll find some gems on them. :)

@Kimmi: I think the "Gary board" Meredith was talking about is our cozy little Gary group. :D

@HBK-79: Great idea to get "Up to now", I'm sure you won't regret it. :)

@muzika: It's so nice to hear that! :) Those guys and their music have something magical on them that simply makes you love them. :lol:

just got home from "leap year"... didn't go for the song - which is good because it wasn't in it anywhere - HOWEVER it was super cute (typical chick flick if you like those things) and the guy was a brooding scruffy irishman....does that remind you of anyone we know?....i tried to put my finger on it but just couldn't... :rolleyes:;);)

I so want to see that movie! The trailer conviced me: SP song + Matthew Goode :awesome: (aka the 'brooding scruffy irishman' as you put it!) But it will be out in october in here :facepalm: Anyway, it's nice to have a feedback!

I've been counting, it's been about a month that Up to now is 'squatting' my CD player in my bathroom, which is kind a record...Am I mad?? :D

Is the original version of An Olive Grove much different from Gary's version on Up to Now? I STILL haven't gotten the first two albums, or even heard it. :shame:

and where can I find the other two songs??

well, the 2009 version does sound more stripped down. but i think because it's pretty much just Gary performing it solo...based on the production notes.

but the main difference i noticed is that Gary's voice is different. his singing sounds stronger & deeper in the 2009 version. in the original it sounds weaker...rawer & unpolished still. i'm tempted to say this shows the improvement in his singing over the years, since he generally does sound rawer in the first 2 albums.

btw, i've been told that An Olive Grove is *the* Snow Patrol song to use on anybody who doesn't like them...tho i haven't really tried it out on anyone yet. :P

I'm proud to say that I'm into Snow Partrol already. It didn't take too much, about 2-3 days. Can't stop listening to them. ^^

haha...which album(s) is it that's got you hooked? :)

Ah, come on Jen, that's not true! You're always a great help, too! :) But thanks anyway. :blush:

And the two songs Kimmi mentioned, "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" and "When You're Right, You're Right (Darth Vader Bringing In His Washing Mix)". They're both on their first album "Songs for Polarbears". ;) It's a great album, I just recently got more and more into it. :cheesy: If you have a chance, get your hands on the first two albums, I'm sure you'll find some gems on them. :)

@Kimmi: I think the "Gary board" Meredith was talking about is our cozy little Gary group. :D

@HBK-79: Great idea to get "Up to now", I'm sure you won't regret it. :)

@muzika: It's so nice to hear that! :) Those guys and their music have something magical on them that simply makes you love them. :lol:

oops! ok...haha :dozey:

i think my assignments have done my head in....either that or i haven't had enough coffee for the day yet. i've been going around mixing things up all week!

& i just LOVE the mix title for "When You're Right, You're Right (Darth Vader Bringing In His Washing Mix)" :laugh3: ...but that isn't the reason i've recommended it. :P

@ a-chan : i haven't actually heard of Leap Year til merryberry9 & jenflor were talking about it, but, wow! that's quite a wait for it! October 2010??? :stunned:

btw, that's cool that you have a CD player in your bathroom! :D

i've been thinking of having one in my bathroom...when i get round to getting my own home. haha

@ a-chan : i haven't actually heard of Leap Year til merryberry9 & jenflor were talking about it, but, wow! that's quite a wait for it! October 2010??? :stunned:

Yep, welcome in France :dozey: We have movies sometimes 3 months after (at best) or like here very looooooOOooong after! This year, a movie from 2005 with Keira Knightley (so means box office cash) was just release here...!!!! And of course, I don't count the movies that are never released.... :cry: And the industry wonders why people are downloaling... :rolleyes:

btw, that's cool that you have a CD player in your bathroom! :D

i've been thinking of having one in my bathroom...when i get round to getting my own home. haha

I've always had one, even when I was a teenager, I had a little radio at my parent's house. I can't live without music in my bathroom (maybe that's why I spent so much time in it :P )

@ Kimmi & Jen - thank you guys SO much for the suggestions for the mix cd - i still have a week to finalize but I am making a long list based on your suggestions!!! (:D) - ugh it's so hard to pick the best 80 minutes of SP songs, but thanks to you guys i'm getting closer. Def will have to put "olive grove" on there! :)

@ Kimmi - Elena is right - I did mean our cozy little Gary group - my goal there is to find some adorable pic that hasn't been seen/posted before - hahah no luck yet...

@ A-chan - that is absolutely miserable that you have to wait to so long for movies to come out - i would not be happy with that ( I see too many movies). Does that apply to some music too? ALl I can say is thank goodess for netflix - too bad that's probably not an option in France either huh? But you guys got "pirate radio" earlier right? I was so excited to see the "Final Straw" album cover at the end. SP doesn't get much recognition in the US so I was pretty happy to see it up there amongst all the great cds :)

Hope everyone back in school/uni is going great! :)

@ A-chan - that is absolutely miserable that you have to wait to so long for movies to come out - i would not be happy with that ( I see too many movies). Does that apply to some music too? ALl I can say is thank goodess for netflix - too bad that's probably not an option in France either huh? But you guys got "pirate radio" earlier right? I was so excited to see the "Final Straw" album cover at the end. SP doesn't get much recognition in the US so I was pretty happy to see it up there amongst all the great cds :)

No Netflix or anything like that exists in here....Plus, if you want to rent a DVD, you have to wait 3 monts after theater release and to buy it 4 or 6 months (depend on the 'popularity' of te movie'.... This country is shit sometimes! :angry:

For music, the release are the same as the UK generally so no problem here, gladly!!

hi there! & welcome to the thread! :D

btw the fact that you have listed 'Starfighter Pilot' as a fave = *bows to you* :cool:

which reworked tour did you go to? :)

i agree with you. my ticket reads "An Evening with SNOW PATROL" & i have to say it was a great evening with them for me, indeed!

Ahah, I seriously think some of the tracks of their first two albums are seriously underrated and Starfighter Pilot is definitely one of them. The woman that was sat next to me at the gig turned to me and asked whether it was a cover :shocked2:

I went to the first night at The Brighton Centre, how about you?

And I second that sentiment, definitely a wicked cool evening!

simply awesome! :D

i think they really had the time of their lives at that gig...stepping up in place of a (by then) disintegrating Oasis &, from all accounts, totally killing it at the V Festival! :wacky:

not sure if it's a coordinated effort, but love how Nathan, Gary & Paul simultaneously step back from their pedals at 4:25-ish for the song's big build-up!

...& Gary putting his IEM back on in the middle of the song. heh

@ Kimmi - Elena is right - I did mean our cozy little Gary group - my goal there is to find some adorable pic that hasn't been seen/posted before - hahah no luck yet...

haha...ok. good luck for your mission then! :cool:

& yeah, it's hard to settle on just a selection of songs... ;)

Yep, welcome in France :dozey: We have movies sometimes 3 months after (at best) or like here very looooooOOooong after! This year, a movie from 2005 with Keira Knightley (so means box office cash) was just release here...!!!! And of course, I don't count the movies that are never released.... :cry: And the industry wonders why people are downloaling... :rolleyes:

I've always had one, even when I was a teenager, I had a little radio at my parent's house. I can't live without music in my bathroom (maybe that's why I spent so much time in it :P )

wow! a 2005 movie only playing in 2009??? & i thought Leap Year coming out in Oct 2010 was a long wait... :stunned:

i think i'd stock up my (dream) bathroom with a CD player & comic books, magazines...haha

Ahah, I seriously think some of the tracks of their first two albums are seriously underrated and Starfighter Pilot is definitely one of them. The woman that was sat next to me at the gig turned to me and asked whether it was a cover :shocked2:

I went to the first night at The Brighton Centre, how about you?

And I second that sentiment, definitely a wicked cool evening!

went for the 2nd gig on the tour at Bristol's Colston Hall.

& yeah, the first 2 albums have some gems in there...tho the first album sounds a lot grungier & some of the songs are darker, imo. i guess Starfighter Pilot sounds far enough from the current Snow Patrol sound that people might actually mistake it for a cover! :laugh3:

does anyone have any good pix of Tom &/or Jonny from a live gig? i was thinking of going with individual "action shots" of each of the guys with their instruments for a wallpaper i'm working on right now...cos i just feel the need to get back to working on some graphics-y stuff before i lose my mind doing plain programming.

there's loads of Gary (honestly, i'm spoilt for choice here!), quite a few of Nathan, some good ones of Paul, but the only ones i've found of Jonny & Tom are these 2....& i think they don't look that great in these shots. :dozey:

197621371_a101a607dd.jpg

197621373_5dd470d923.jpg

seriously...i just *know* Jonny & Tom look WAY better than this! :P

@Kimmi: I agree. Jonny and Tom really look different than in those pics. :lol: And I'm sure you'll find some nicer ones out there somewhere... Have you already checked Bradley's gallery? Or the SP.com gallery in general? :) And, if everything fails: There's always Bianca, she's the photo-queen! :D

I'm not a huge fan or anything but this is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_DAbCrpzg

That's probably the best performance of "Run" they ever did! :cheesy: It still gives me goosebumps all over whenever I listen to/watch it again. :)

I listened to the whole gig on the radio that night and the whole gig was absolutely outstanding! You could already feel the crowd's vibe and the boys' energy and happiness just by listening to it! They were obviously totally overwhelmed by what happened that night and one can really see and hear how much they enjoyed themselves. Such a legendary performance. :)

I also loved their covers of Wonderwall & Champagne Supernova. Just in case someone's missed them:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2eo4023oqg&feature=related]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Wonderwall - V Festival 2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBcEXd8Hia0&feature=related]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Champagne Supernova - V Festival 2009[/ame]

@Kimmi: I agree. Jonny and Tom really look different than in those pics. :lol: And I'm sure you'll find some nicer ones out there somewhere... Have you already checked Bradley's gallery? Or the SP.com gallery in general? :) And, if everything fails: There's always Bianca, she's the photo-queen! :D

i've managed to locate a slightly nicer pic of Jonny at the drums, tho that's a good point to check out Bradley's gallery...he's got to have some decent action shots of his own brother! :D & also SP.com...cos Tom's proving rather elusive... :thinking:

*sigh* heard & seen them loads of times, but i'll never get tired of them. i really love their cover of those 2 Oasis songs...especially Champagne Supernova. those 2 Oasis songs hold a special place in my heart. :wacky:

& since i'm in a Star Wars mood this week, here's an article i read ages ago but recently stumbled across again...cos of a Death Star Cookie Jar that's available for pre-order on SW.com...

Snow Patrol's Sith Obsession

---> it was from this article that i found out Nathan's a big Star Wars fan! :wacky:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36nnoNySWE&feature=related]YouTube- Run - Snow Patrol - Oxegen 2009[/ame]

I love this version even more that V. Crowd is loud as fuck especially in first chorus. Every band's dream to perform for such crowd.

I don't know if oxegen crowd is always like that, but they certainly love Snow Patrol.;D

^I loved that picture :lol: and then "what dresscode?" :awesome:
Yes!!!!

YES!!!! I saw it!!! :laugh3: Matt Bellamy has a nice suit too :lol:
And on page 74: "when the oil runs out, that suit will be the first thing on the fire" :lol:

And they gave him a frozen chicken, too. :lol:

I :heart: Q!!