✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Snow Patrol Thread

fifi

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for offering to translate Larry!!! It was super sweet of you' date=' i just though i would make your life a bit easier!!! :D[/quote']

Yes, you definately made my life a bit easier, thank you! :)

my pleasure!!!! I enjoy making peoples life easier!!! :D

Ari~ The song is "Your All I have" so ya know!

Sniggirb yeah mine is too. What can you say its just that damn good!!!!

OMG TLo are you going to see Snow Patrol a few times eh?!?! haha that is freakin sweet!! i wish i was going to more than one!

yup im going to three.. and im gonna try to be upfront for all of them. i hope they dont get scared.. lol. i wont be screaming "I WANNA HAVE YOUR BABIES!!!" or anything like that.. :lol:

Haha TLo u lucky duck you!!!!!! haha that would be awesome if u got up front all three times! Im gonna get to mine so early just to make sure i get in front!!!!!!!!

Thanks Erin for the link!!!! Omg your from Nova Scotia that is pretty sweet!

Haha TLo u lucky duck you!!!!!! haha that would be awesome if u got up front all three times! Im gonna get to mine so early just to make sure i get in front!!!!!!!!

I'm from Nova too :D

You're welcome. :)

But I have to ask, although I love it here, what's so sweet about being from Nova Scotia?

Is it all the fog and the cold, cold, wet rain, or the fact that I'll probably never see Snow Patrol live because the nearest city they would play in is about a 12 hour drive away? :confused: :P Heehee... don't mind me.. I'm sulking. But amused. ;)

haha ok i donno really! My friend visted there last summer and she said it was nice!!! Plus she has some friends there so. Ok im gonna sound quiet childish here but i just like the way it sounds. It was just kinda one of those places that i heard about and i was like oh it sounds cool. I hope to go up and see it someday i guess. yeah dont mind me it was just cool to see you were from there considering that i rarely hear of anyone from there!

Sniggirb thats cool ur from there too!!!

I might have to wait longer due to shortness of funds:( but we'll see.... I can't wait to hear it.

haha ok i donno really! My friend visted there last summer and she said it was nice!!! Plus she has some friends there so. Ok im gonna sound quiet childish here but i just like the way it sounds. It was just kinda one of those places that i heard about and i was like oh it sounds cool. I hope to go up and see it someday i guess. yeah dont mind me it was just cool to see you were from there considering that i rarely hear of anyone from there!

Sniggirb thats cool ur from there too!!!

Goodness there are at least 6 of us Nova Scotians on the boards here including me and sniggirb. But yeah, it is a cool place- just make sure you come in the summer....

Goodness there are at least 6 of us Nova Scotians on the boards here including me and sniggirb. But yeah, it is a cool place- just make sure you come in the summer....

Ok i will remember that!!!! It looks pretty in the summer, thats when my friend was there and she took alot of pictures!

I think i have a new fav on the cd!!! it has to be Headlight on dark roads, im lovin it right now!!!!

has anyone listened to the podcast on the offical website?!?!?!?! its so funny!

Snow Patrol top 'genteel' weekend

Snow Patrol, Antony and the Johnsons and Mogwai will headline a new music and culture festival in Suffolk.

Latitude will focus on literature, poetry and comedy as well as lining up a number of bands and musical events. It is being held at the Henham Park Estate in Southwold in mid-July, and is organised by Mean Fiddler, the firm behind the Reading and Leeds festivals. The festival is the only British date this year for Antony and the Johnsons, who won the 2005 Mercury Music Prize.

As well as Reading and Leeds, Mean Fiddler also operates the Glastonbury Festival, which is not running this year. Managing director Melvin Benn said he was seeking to emulate the "genteel, less manic feel" of his favourite European festivals. "I want to be able to wander from books to music to film in the way you can in your own sitting room," he explained. "I am looking forward to that feeling of being able to listen live to the music and then the words of an author or poet or environmentalist, rather than just reading it in the newspapers or listening on a CD."

Rob Newman and Marcus Brigstocke are among the acts confirmed on the comedy bill, while stand-up performer Robin Ince will host a book club featuring informal readings by authors and comics. There will be an outing for London club night Guilty Pleasures, which has built a reputation by championing soft rock classics and other songs from the 1970s and 1980s which have traditionally been considered untrendy.

Cabaret, art, film and theatre also feature in the festival programme.

"I've chosen artists that, with their music, attempt to keep moving forward and who aren't afraid to do things differently," said Jon Dunn, curator of the three main live stages. "They're provocative artists that fit in with the edgy, alternative slant that Latitude has, but does not exclude mainstream success."

Mr Benn, whose company also runs the Homelands dance event, told the festival's launch in London that the event would be a unique one. "I live and breathe festivals and I visit so many of them, but I have never been to one which isn't a copy of Reading, Glastonbury, or Homelands. I hope this one is copied as well," he said.

He said he wanted the festival to be like "engrossing yourself in a quality Sunday paper", adding that he was "fascinated" by the Hay-on-Wye literary festival in Wales. "But I'm too afraid to go," he said.

Politics and debate would also feature, Mr Benn explained. "I'm very keen to see Boris Johnson here debating with somebody from my side of the fence," he said.

_41610128_snowpatrol_pa203b.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4951872.stm

[snow Patrol] In from the cold: Eyes Open set to go down a storm

"I used to be a total wanker," says Gary Lightbody, Snow Patrol's singer, lyricist and tunesmith. Nathan Connolly, the band's alarmingly handsome guitarist, nods approvingly at this. The three of us are sitting in the bar of Hammersmith's Riverside Studios discussing Snow Patrol's far from meteoric rise to the top.

"After that first record [the grungy Songs For Polarbears - now almost a decade old] I just assumed I'd be a rock'n'roll star. It was practically the only thing I lived for. Now I feel a lot less like a pop star than ever. We do these shows, or go to these parties, and we're surrounded by real pop stars, proper movie stars, icons, you know? And we always feel slightly dishevelled, slightly apart, like we live in our own little world and don't really belong. I mean we don't get hassled in the street, and paparazzi don't chase us and we aren't really lumbered with any of the trappings of fame. We don't really get the ego kicking in."

"It's like when we're at those parties," interjects Nathan. "After about an hour the five of us will end up in a corner talking about what the greatest Pixies album was, or discussing the merits of some Nirvana B-side. It's what we always ended up doing anyway. It's the bubble we live in, a musical bubble."

Amazingly that bubble didn't burst when in 2003 they released Final Straw. Unlike its two predecessors, it was both a critical and commercial success. To date it has sold over two million copies and in the US it outsold the likes of Muse and David Bowie. Its follow-up, Eyes Open, though it has taken one hell of a while to appear (despite the fact that it was written and recorded in just 10 weeks), looks set to capitalize on that success and the three-year-long tour that followed Final Straw.

Eyes Open is a meticulous piece of work. Gary's eloquent, inward-looking lyrics are lent a vast, stadium-sized sweep by tunes so memorable and grandiloquent you sometimes get the impression he wasn't so much writing about himself as scoring a blockbuster soundtrack to a hyper-real version of his own life. The fact that it has sure-fire success written all over it is bound to irritate certain critics but their fans are going to love it. And all of this, they reckon, stems from their love of pop and its history.

There's no doubt that Snow Patrol are obsessive. Throughout the interview they frequently digress to talk about a certain band, or a certain sound, or a certain era. At one point Gary and Nathan launch into a discussion about My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. "I can't tell you how many times I've bought that record," says Nathan wistfully. "I've played it until I literally wore it out. I've given copies away cos I was actually insulted by the idea that someone hadn't heard it, or didn't own it."

A photographer friend of mine, who knows them relatively well, describes their intense, all-consuming love affair with pop as "bordering on the clinical". In this sense they are very much of their time. Like their contemporaries, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, etc, they have schooled themselves in the art of rock'n'roll without ever seeming to have very much interest in its more transgressive trappings.

They don't have supermodel girlfriends and you won't catch them with a fiver up their nose, or administering a drunken kick in the goolies to one of Fleet Street's finest. In fact, with Noel and Liam Gallagher now squeaky-clean, and Primal Scream and the Charlatans temporarily out of the picture (though both are returning to the throng in very near future) only the calamitous Pete Doherty seems able and willing to uphold pop's more colourful traditions. Which is not to say that Snow Patrol, et al, haven't found other ways of kicking against the pricks. They are politically committed.

In fact, looking back over the past 15 years, it is hard to think of a generation who have been so outspoken on issues of poverty and fair trade. Snow Patrol are members of Amnesty International (Gary: "Violence repels and depresses me, Amnesty is a way to make that clear") and most famously joined U2, Coldplay and the rest at the recent Live 8 concert. However where Coldplay have used their songs to explicitly political effect and the Arctic Monkeys chronicle northern life in a way not really seen since the heyday of the Smiths, Snow Patrol very much keep their opinions for interviews, using their songs instead to chronicle Gary's frankly disastrous relationships with women. At least that's the impression you get if you were to just go by the songs.

He laughs. "I agree that I don't paint too rosy a picture of my past in that respect. And I gotta say, I'm single right now. So I don't have a brilliant record in that department. But here's the thing, it's a lot easier to write about the bad stuff than it is the good stuff. When the good stuff is happening you tend to spend most of your time enjoying it and none of it pondering it. But when shit happens it forces you to ask questions. I can't think of many novels or plays that are about idyllic romances but there's libraries of stuff out there about bad relationships.

So I write about the bad stuff cos it's easier, and also cos the good stuff, great as it's been, has been few and far between. Having said all that, I don't want people to think that this is an album without hope, cos there's plenty of hope there too."

And here perhaps is the most important thing Snow Patrol share with their peers. No matter how hopeless the lyrics may be they are elevated by melodies so rousing and memorable it's hard to feel anything but good when you're listening to them. Eyes Open is the slickest, most gorgeously crafted collection of pop songs and anthems since Coldplay's Parachutes. And I suspect that within a very short space of time it will become just as ubiquitous.

"We are very proud of what we've done," says Gary. "Before we went into the studio we were genuinely worried that it might be hard. But the second we started writing the songs just came pouring out. The real work for me was the words, but the music, that was, well not easy, but natural."

Amazingly neither Nathan nor Gary seems particularly concerned by the idea of what may lie ahead of them, of what mega-stardom may bring. In fact it is hard to recall two people less affected by the expectations of others than these two. One might be tempted to call them naive, but 10 years of surviving and prospering in an industry as scabrous and reptilian as this one would suggest anything other than naivety.

Then again, maybe it's that bubble they are fond of saying they live in. Let's hope no one bursts it any time soon.

Snow Patrol's album, Eyes Open (Fiction), is out on Monday. Their UK tour continues until May 8

snowpatrol372.jpg

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1762732,00.html

I might have to wait longer due to shortness of funds:( but we'll see.... I can't wait to hear it.

Come in august, its the warmest and least wet.