✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay featuring blank

I'd love to see Coldplay and Muse collaborate - Muse has some great 80s-inspired songs. Panic Station is one that comes to mind though I also haven't listened to their most recent album.

Lianne la Havas would be fantastic - she and Chris sound great doing that Sometimes it Snows in April cover. ? And as a guitarist, I feel like Lianne would push both Chris and Jonny to do more interesting thing since she has a very obvious jazz background in the way she plays. Similar argument for Esperanza Spaulding who is a fantastic bassist and singer.

For the 80s theme, it'd be fun to see collaborations with Pink Floyd for a giant spacey guitar solo, Sting or Phil Collins for that quintessential 80s vibe, Echo and the Bunnymen since those are heroes of Coldplay and they're very much still active, and either of the main Smiths members (Johnny Marr or Morrissey). Also in the 80s - Annie Lennox! Kate Bush! Maybe they could re-record Speed of Sound and rip off Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill even harder. ? 

+1 for Noel Gallagher though since it's been done in Up&Up I don't know if it'll happen again. Though does anyone remembe rtaht story about Noel giving Chris a crazy guitar pedal after the 2011 BRIT awards so that Coldplay could write a song with it? WE STILL HAVEN'T HEARD THAT SONG!!!!

• Like 1

Sorry to double post but I forgot to mention, but CHVRCHES would be a fantastic artist to collaborate with and definitely my #1 choice for who to bring on both for Lauren Mayberry's vocals and also for the synth prowess from Iain and Martin. They are very much 80s-inspired synthpop but with serious non-poppy and often darker/emotional/angry lyrics. I love them, and could definitely see some overlap with the arpeggiated synths, and heavy synthy bass. The Higher Power arpeggiated/high synth background line (that Jonny also plays on guitar) sounds a lot like the live intro to Never Ending Circles (heard in the first few seconds of the first video).

Tbh relistening to CHVRCHES helped me internally articulate my problem with Higher Power, which is that it lacks much of a "journey" or build. Think of SJLT, just in terms of the music - it has verses and choruses and a couple beat drops plus such a huge bridge and nice guitar solo. Or if you're an oldplayer, think of a song like Politik. That's a song that is loud-quiet-loud-quiet and then a bridge that builds on itself into the huge "give me lover over this" and Jonny guitar explosion. 

Edited by MosesTheMarshmallow
  • Like 2

I'd love to see them work with Damon Albarn. I don't know if he would get along with Coldplay. He once called Chris "possessed" after watching Coldplay play Talk at the 2006 Grammys and has never really had anything good to say about them. He once jokingly walked away after a fan tried to get him to autograph a guitar that Chris had also signed (but he still signed it). Maybe Damon would be open to working together. I think he might enjoy Everyday Life considering how experimental some of it is and how Femi Kuti ended up playing on Arabesque.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 42Escapist said:

I'd love to see them work with Damon Albarn. I don't know if he would get along with Coldplay. He once called Chris "possessed" after watching Coldplay play Talk at the 2006 Grammys and has never really had anything good to say about them. He once jokingly walked away after a fan tried to get him to autograph a guitar that Chris had also signed (but he still signed it). Maybe Damon would be open to working together. I think he might enjoy Everyday Life considering how experimental some of it is and how Femi Kuti ended up playing on Arabesque.

If you can get Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarn, and Graham Coxon from Blur together to play a song together, then I'm sure this could happen. Also Paul Weller on drums?!?

• Love 1

Let's add to the list the following, either the whole band or either just some members of the band:

- Florence And The Machine

- Arcade Fire

- The National

- Arctic Monkeys

- Death Cab For Cutie

- Alice Glass (from Crystal Castles)

- A-HA

- The Killers

Edited by The Philosopher
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, The Philosopher said:

Let's add to the list the following, either the whole band or either just some members of the band:

- Florence And The Machine

- Arcade Fire

- The National

- Arctic Monkeys

- Death Cab For Cutie

- Alice Glass (from Crystal Castles)

- A-HA

- The Killers

One of a-ha's band members worked with Guy in Apparatjik. The synth player I think. Would love Death Cab. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, 42Escapist said:

will ferrell panic GIF

20210513_184559.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, harrisonrules said:

will ferrell panic GIF

20210513_184559.jpg

That's what made me think of it, along with the fact that I've been listening to a lot of Blur and Gorillaz lately ?

Probably the majority of Gorillaz songs are collaborations with other artists, many of whom are rappers... but not all of them. Imagine Gorillaz featuring Coldplay, instead of the other way around ? The most recent Gorillaz project Song Machine consists entirely of collaborations and it's supposed to have a "Season 2" so what if they bring in Coldplay for a song? ? Probably won't happen, but it'd be cool.

• Like 1

Imagine Coldplay and Embrace doing Gravity together. ? 

Some more serious suggestions:

-Kraftwerk, who has just been added to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

-Wolf Alice - they have an EXCELLENT space-y song that very much recalls Rocket Man, Life on Mars?, and Moving to Mars

And cool, I'd love to see Gorillaz/Blur/Coldplay. Under the Westway is my favourite song by them and it's a bit vaguely Coldplay-y in the piano playing!

• Love 1

Maybe on a more electronic side, I already mentioned M83, but also: Phoenix, Cut Copy, Tame Impala, The Strokes, Two Door Cinema Club, Kasabian, MGMT, Bloc Party, Passion Pit, Empire Of The Sun, Metronomy, Foster The People, Miami Horror, Animal Collective, TV On The Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sigur Rós, New Order, Elbow. All these would be interesting too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Philosopher said:

Maybe on a more electronic side, I already mentioned M83, but also: Phoenix, Cut Copy, Tame Impala, The Strokes, Two Door Cinema Club, Kasabian, MGMT, Bloc Party, Passion Pit, Empire Of The Sun, Metronomy, Foster The People, Miami Horror, Animal Collective, TV On The Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sigur Rós, New Order, Elbow. All these would be interesting too.

Bloc Party is in my top 5

• Like 1