✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Star Wars vs. LOTR

CityandColour

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Gandalf should have sent Sauron to Coruscant (that's the only planet I remeber) that could have made Star Wars a bit more interesting.

Talking about directing, Jackson has made the better film by far.

It seems noone here has read the books' date=' you can't be fans if you haven't read the LOTR books![/quote']

I have :uhoh:

And as I said, I'm mostly a fan of the books. Movie is great, of course, but I can't stand Orlando Bloom for three hours :sick:

LOTR no question.

I've tried watching Star Wars a number of times throughout my life... Although some scenes were truly moving (e.g. Luke confronting Darth Vader and realising his father is about to die), I've never managed to connect enough with any of the movies to truly enjoy the experience

Never watched 'Star Wars' (nor felt the urge to) but 'Lord of the Rings' was my LIFE after I watched the first film, my favourite. That was in 2002 just before The Two Towers came out. I usually laugh at Legolas because his lines are pathetic (though a fan of Orlando Bloom after 'Pirates', which is rather embarrassing but it's finally fading after years, love Will Turner!)

I watched the books afterwards and though I wished some parts have been filmed and put into the film, I didn't actually like the books. Tolkien had great vision but not too much of a story-teller IMO.

I watched Return of the King 11 times in the cinema (including two marathons with extended editions of the first two films) and finished the extended edition with all its extras in the DVD in two days. I locked myself in the house methinks. And because I got hold of the boxset a few days before the official release date (14 December 2004!), I finished it before the rest of the world got to buy it?

That was the peak of my obsession. I still watch the films every now and then but it's decreasing because of work commitments.

^^don't know about that, actually I thought it would've been the other way around.. but you're maybe right..

LOTR is one of my favourite books (maybe THE favourite), for me the books are more important than the films..which were actually very good, considering the massive story Tolkien created..

for some reason I've never really liked Star Wars, haven't even seen the 3 new films..

9 to 29. Wow. :shocked2:

About 6 or 7 years ago, John Rhys Davies (Gimli) started saying in all his interviews that LOTR was going to be bigger than Star Wars. I though he was insane. So did most everyone else. There was hope, but Star Wars was unapproachable, and LOTR was unfilmable (just look at that horrid Bashki cartoon).

How wrong I was. :thinking: Sorry, John! :D

I think books are more important than the films too' date=' but i´ve never finished reading LOTR´s 2nd book :rolleyes: ... But i did like the three movies. Maybe one day i´ll finish reading it...[/quote']

Try! It's worth it. The narrative picks up speed once you reach Shelob's lair and get into the third book and the battle for Minas Tirith.

And the books are way better than the movies. (IMHO) Actually, I think you need to read the books to really appreciate the movies. Nitpicks aside, the attention to detail is astounding.

star wars has to be one of the worst movies ever made.
Ack! A stab to the heart. That's my childhood you're insulting, buster. :P :laugh3:

star wars has to be one of the worst movies ever made.

you mean 6 of the worst movies ever made? because I love the first 3. the old ones without computer graphics and all. the last three were rather horrid and made me want to puke, but I really think I liked the first 3 star wars better and .... I wasn't alive when they were around but I kind of grew up watching them and loving them so maybe I'm biased.

star wars!...i saw the first two lotr and hated them, of course i didn't watch the third, there was no point in trying...

star wars: these last tree films weren't amazing (specially the third, i love natalie portman and in that movie i couldn't stand her character) but like someone said i grew up watching episode 4,5 and 6 because my dad and my brother are huge fans so it's like something that's part of my childhood

• 2 months later...