๐ŸŒ™ COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH ๐ŸŽต

๐ŸŒ™ Coldplay: Moon Music ๐ŸŽต | Out October 4th | Discussion

Doomotron

8 hours ago, steven24 said:

I think the album will be out August time, really expecting more and a sooner release with Glastonbury headline but we will just have to wait!

Chris introduced All My Love by saying "You weren't supposed to hear this until September" so I wouldn't expect it any sooner

4 hours ago, Xylobryte7 said:

Phil just said the album is what he believes is the closest relative to VLV. Moon Music is gonna be unreal!

To be fair Phil's not gonna come out and say "To be honest I think the new album's a bit crap, I much prefer their older stuff" is he?ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Tryin rly hard to refrain from listening to All My Love or any other clips, hopefully my temptation doesnt get the best of me!! Abt 3 months to go ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1

From all my love, the FLIFIL snippet and the soundcheck of that song related to the Instagram acoustic snippet, and with what Phil said, it does feel like this album will be more unique than a lot of their pop albums even mylo, I do see this viva vein in it, like..it doesnt sound lame or forced, it sound natural for them, maybe this album will be indeed close to viva, even tho it will be more space and pop. Maybe this will be the best pop effort of coldplay, one that can make sense with records like x&y, viva...a rush of blood.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gacbrandao said:

From all my love, the FLIFIL snippet and the soundcheck of that song related to the Instagram acoustic snippet, and with what Phil said, it does feel like this album will be more unique than a lot of their pop albums even mylo, I do see this viva vein in it, like..it doesnt sound lame or forced, it sound natural for them, maybe this album will be indeed close to viva, even tho it will be more space and pop. Maybe this will be the best pop effort of coldplay, one that can make sense with records like x&y, viva...a rush of blood.

I agree. I think it might just become the pop equivalent of Viva. And while I agree that Phil will obviously hype and promote every album (as he rightly should), he wouldn't make a comparison to Viva knowing how much the fandom loves that album, unless he really thinks there's something special there. Only time will tell off, and September really feels like too far away!

• Thanks 1

I'm being cautious here. In the leadup to MOTS I was 100% convinced it would be better than AHFOD. My reasoning was sound, I think. Max Martin is a much better producer than Stargate, Coloratura alone kicks the crap out of everything on AHFOD, Higher Power and Human Heart were lovely songs, and POTP was The Man Who Swears (a Viva era tune) so it must be good. I specifically said at the time "the only way it's worse than AHFOD is if everything we haven't heard yet absolutely sucks". Then lo and behold.

That's a bit unfair. Infinity Sign is one of my favourite Coldplay tunes ever and Humankind is a fun song. But still, I learned a valuable lesson.ย 

Edited by Famous Old Painter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Famous Old Painter said:

I'm being cautious here. In the leadup to MOTS I was 100% convinced it would be better than AHFOD. My reasoning was sound, I think. Max Martin is a much better producer than Stargate, Coloratura alone kicks the crap out of everything on AHFOD, Higher Power and Human Heart were lovely songs, and POTP was The Man Who Swears (a Viva era tune) so it must be good. I specifically said at the time "the only way it's worse than AHFOD is if everything we haven't heard yet absolutely sucks". Then lo and behold.

That's a bit unfair. Infinity Sign is one of my favourite Coldplay tunes ever and Humankind is a fun song. But still, I learned a valuable lesson.ย 

Hahaha true, I get that. Maybe I'll follow suit and take the route of cautious optimism?

The version of All My Love that partly leaked sounds a lot more โ€œpopโ€ than the piano version Chris performed live by himself.

Coldplay is still very much capable of making songs which are very reminiscent of the โ€œoldโ€ Coldplay (like All My Love) but in production theyโ€™ll turn those concept into the complete opposite..

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustSomeone said:

The version of All My Love that partly leaked sounds a lot more โ€œpopโ€ than the piano version Chris performed live by himself.

Coldplay is still very much capable of making songs which are very reminiscent of the โ€œoldโ€ Coldplay (like All My Love) but in production theyโ€™ll turn those concept into the complete opposite..

ย 

ย 

Hmm, just because it has strings, drums, and bass doesn't make it necessarily "pop". What's your rational here?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kindnesss said:

Hmm, just because it has strings, drums, and bass doesn't make it necessarily "pop". What's your rational here?

Fair point.

I try to envision what the song would sound like if it was on letโ€™s say AROBTTH. Then I come to the conclusion that the instrumentation would have sounded less polished and less โ€˜softโ€™.

Following that logic - in my opinion - All My Love could have sounded more like The Scientist, instruments wise.

The piano version is amazing by the way and deserves to have a studio version, like Lost for example.ย 
ย 

• Like 1

I think that snippet doesnt really gives us too much of the song, I initially thought it was like.. "this is a bit mid..pop sounding ballad" but cmon it is 10 seconds..and now with the live version I see that snippet differently, if you listen to it thinking about coloratura Studio version you will notice that is basically equivalent of coloratura sounding, So Im betting the Studio version of All my love will still be awsome,ย  the piano sounds beautiful still and I bet jonny will bend our knees

Edited by gacbrandao
  • Like 1

I think cautious optimism warranted for a few reasons, some of which I'll put in spoilers in case people are avoiding leaks.ย 

But overall I'm definitely taking the optimism side. For one, we know they tend to follow up their big tour pop albums (MOTS) with more down-to-earth albums, so we're expecting Moon Music to be more organic sounding and the teasers thus far are pointing to that (FLIFIL, All My Love, One World). Second, Phil is saying it's their "best album," in his opinion, and closest to Viva La Vida, which is my personal favorite and I know a fan favorite & most critically acclaimed. Given Phil loves VLV and even X&Y, I like his opinions generally (and yes, Biutyful is one of my favorites on MOTS like him).ย ย 

TBH, I'm kind of struck that Phil seems to be responding to criticism of MOTS, as if he or maybe even the band acknowledges that it wasn't super well recieved. It's not really like them to say they regret an album and certainly they haven't implied they think the record is bad or anything, but Phil responded to a fan about the metacritic score and is really hyping Moon Music, which he didn't do for MOTS.ย 

But, here's my cautious part:ย 

Spoiler

The leaks over the last few months demonstrate MOTS & Moon Music eras have a lot of genres and different sounds. We still don't know the final tracklisting but a recent image suggests possibly: Moon Music, Man in the Moon, Jupiter, Good Feelings, All My Love, We Pray, Neon Forest MUSIC, Angel Song, FLIFIL and One World. From some of the leaks, we know many of these tracks sound vastly different. Good Feelings is like a Saturday Night Live 70's party song, Jupiter might be a schmaltzy pop sing-along, Neon Forest might sound like Sigur Ros, and Moon Music as we've heard is like a bittersweet orchestral outro while All My Love and FLIFIL are more classic Coldplay pop alt-rock.ย 

The thing about a VLV and what makes that record so good is how it flows and progresses with multiple genres but the production and lyrics are consistent enough to make the whole package feel seamless. Each song is great on its own but contributes to the whole. After AHFOD, however, the band seems to be finding ways to justify random songwriting and production. Everyday Life was advertised as a diary, basically, so different days different feelings. MOTS was advertised as different planets. This just makes for albums that aren't consistent. EL gets away with it due to the rawness and consistently great songs whereas MOTS sounds like a weird b-side playlist for half of its run. We will see because nothing is final and the leaks may lead us astray, but I'm hoping Moon Music is just a nice, consistent listen.

ย 

ย 

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1

8 hours ago, Famous Old Painter said:

Infinity Sign, the one on MOTS? Everytime someone says something like that I have to play it and make sure weยดre talking about the same song.

4 minutes ago, edupoint said:

Infinity Sign, the one on MOTS? Everytime someone says something like that I have to play it and make sure weยดre talking about the same song.

Infinity Sign is classic. ๐Ÿ™‚ That, Coloratura and People of the Pride are mainly what I listen to from MotS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

I think cautious optimism warranted for a few reasons, some of which I'll put in spoilers in case people are avoiding leaks.ย 

But overall I'm definitely taking the optimism side. For one, we know they tend to follow up their big tour pop albums (MOTS) with more down-to-earth albums, so we're expecting Moon Music to be more organic sounding and the teasers thus far are pointing to that (FLIFIL, All My Love, One World). Second, Phil is saying it's their "best album," in his opinion, and closest to Viva La Vida, which is my personal favorite and I know a fan favorite & most critically acclaimed. Given Phil loves VLV and even X&Y, I like his opinions generally (and yes, Biutyful is one of my favorites on MOTS like him).ย ย 

TBH, I'm kind of struck that Phil seems to be responding to criticism of MOTS, as if he or maybe even the band acknowledges that it wasn't super well recieved. It's not really like them to say they regret an album and certainly they haven't implied they think the record is bad or anything, but Phil responded to a fan about the metacritic score and is really hyping Moon Music, which he didn't do for MOTS.ย 

But, here's my cautious part:ย 

ย  Hide contents

The leaks over the last few months demonstrate MOTS & Moon Music eras have a lot of genres and different sounds. We still don't know the final tracklisting but a recent image suggests possibly: Moon Music, Man in the Moon, Jupiter, Good Feelings, All My Love, We Pray, Neon Forest MUSIC, Angel Song, FLIFIL and One World. From some of the leaks, we know many of these tracks sound vastly different. Good Feelings is like a Saturday Night Live 70's party song, Jupiter might be a schmaltzy pop sing-along, Neon Forest might sound like Sigur Ros, and Moon Music as we've heard is like a bittersweet orchestral outro while All My Love and FLIFIL are more classic Coldplay pop alt-rock.ย 

The thing about a VLV and what makes that record so good is how it flows and progresses with multiple genres but the production and lyrics are consistent enough to make the whole package feel seamless. Each song is great on its own but contributes to the whole. After AHFOD, however, the band seems to be finding ways to justify random songwriting and production. Everyday Life was advertised as a diary, basically, so different days different feelings. MOTS was advertised as different planets. This just makes for albums that aren't consistent. EL gets away with it due to the rawness and consistently great songs whereas MOTS sounds like a weird b-side playlist for half of its run. We will see because nothing is final and the leaks may lead us astray, but I'm hoping Moon Music is just a nice, consistent listen.

ย 

ย 

I can't begin to say how much I agree with EVERYTHING on this post; literally each and every point, including my opinion about Biutyful ๐Ÿ™ƒ. Really well summarised as well!

• Like 1

https://x.com/planetacoldplay/status/1800275752509718750
ย 

Some more snippets from the video recording on this page.ย 
ย 

Has anyone heard the ~5 seconds of verse for FLIFIL that was on twitter somewhere? I canโ€™t find it and I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s real but sounded a bit drab (slightly electronic and bare with not a great transition into the chorus)โ€ฆ The fact that all snips around the song are mainly the chorus sort of makes me worried that itโ€™s just a big song with forgettable verses. Anyway, sorry for being a downer lol

• Sad 1

Hi guys,

These past 4 days have been an absolute blast!

I was at the fans meetup in Athens on Friday, indeed Phil Harvey and the official photographer (Anna Lee) were there. We were lucky to listen (through headphones of course) to FLIFIL for the first time. Phil said it's gonna come out in a few weeks. I also heard him say that he believes Moon Music is the band's best album to date "with every song being as good as the last" and that in this album the band explores the full spectrum of their capabilities etc

Went to both concerts at the Olympic stadium (seated on Saturday, early entry on Sunday). No surprises on the setlists. The only new song played was a song called All My Love, played yesterday as a moron, almost a minute before the end of Biutyful (and of the show), tried to climb onto the a-stage and fell (taking with him a few lights). Of course Chris acted like a professional, immediately stopped the show, asked if that guy was fine, and then made a few jokes ("that was impressive", "he's not dead, is he?"). Then they played All My Love (not bad, I expect to hear the final version when ready. It reminded me of "True Love" a bit (the chord progression was the same I think in a couple of parts of the song). Oh, they also played Politik yesterday (it had been a while since they played that on MOTS tour) and Don't Panic on c-stage.

Just returned from the Herodion Theatre in Athens where the video for the song Feels Like I'm Falling In Love was filmed a couple of hours ago...

I agree with all the things you mention above. The song has a Mylo Xyloto vibe combined with MOTS vibes... I would say its sound is something between Higher Power and My Universe. The audience participated with enthusiasm, Chris said the video (and therefore the song) will come out in about two weeks (so most probably on June 21st).

Hmm I wonder what the tracklist of Moon Music will be. Assuming "All My Love" is also in the album, I guess there are not many spots left... Is it possible that "The Only One" will not be included in the album?

ย 

Edited by britishCP
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stanz2500 said:

FLIFIL - June 21st, 2024.
Why?
Full Moon
Chris said 2 weeks

Then when will MV drop after the LV (Iโ€™m 100% sure the single drop will get a LV) that same week? Or week after?

• stephen changed the title to ๐ŸŒ™ Coldplay: Moon Music ๐ŸŽต | Out October 4th | Discussion