✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sigur Rós

busybeeburns

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God dammit, it turns out I have been a Sigur Ros fan for years and never knew it. :facepalm:

During my last year of primary school (about 7 years ago :stunned:) we had some sort of Christmas concert where each class had to put on a different show. My class was chosen to do a dance routine dressed up as angels (which was painfully embarrassing) and the songs we danced to were some cheesy Christmas song, and a weird song that nobody knew by 'some foreign band'.

Anyway I really liked the song and it got stuck in my head for years afterwards, but I never found out what it was called or who it was by. I also heard it on the Planet Earth trailers but when I asked my dad (who is generally quite knowledgeable about music) he didn't know who it was. It would trouble me for years that I never knew the name of this song. Years later, when I joined a local keyboard ensemble, it was one of the songs that we learned, but the sheet music was titled "Planet Earth Theme" so I was no closer to knowing. And for ages I gave up on ever discovering the origin of this song.

Now since joining this forum, I have discovered some great bands (such as Muse and Radiohead) but Sigur Ros is one band that seem very popular here and I never decided to acknowledge them, despite being recommended multiple times. Today, being extremely bored, I decided to check out some bands I had heard good things about. When looking up various post rock bands on Wikipedia I found something like "Sigur Ros found success in 2005 when their song Hoppipolla was featured in the Planet Earth trailer" Immediately I realised what this meant... and here I am now.

Nice story, I hope you'll enjoy the rest of their opus. They're my favourite band at the moment (I'm cooling off from infatuation with Radiohead), really glad to have encountered another band the effect of whose songs doesn't wear off with time. And likewise, this forum introduced me to some of my favourite artists and is still a primary place of consultation as far as music goes. :cheesy:

• 5 weeks later...
God dammit, it turns out I have been a Sigur Ros fan for years and never knew it. :facepalm:

During my last year of primary school (about 7 years ago :stunned:) we had some sort of Christmas concert where each class had to put on a different show. My class was chosen to do a dance routine dressed up as angels (which was painfully embarrassing) and the songs we danced to were some cheesy Christmas song, and a weird song that nobody knew by 'some foreign band'.

Anyway I really liked the song and it got stuck in my head for years afterwards, but I never found out what it was called or who it was by. I also heard it on the Planet Earth trailers but when I asked my dad (who is generally quite knowledgeable about music) he didn't know who it was. It would trouble me for years that I never knew the name of this song. Years later, when I joined a local keyboard ensemble, it was one of the songs that we learned, but the sheet music was titled "Planet Earth Theme" so I was no closer to knowing. And for ages I gave up on ever discovering the origin of this song.

Now since joining this forum, I have discovered some great bands (such as Muse and Radiohead) but Sigur Ros is one band that seem very popular here and I never decided to acknowledge them, despite being recommended multiple times. Today, being extremely bored, I decided to check out some bands I had heard good things about. When looking up various post rock bands on Wikipedia I found something like "Sigur Ros found success in 2005 when their song Hoppipolla was featured in the Planet Earth trailer" Immediately I realised what this meant... and here I am now.

same thing happened to me, I spent years wondering what this beautiful song that brought me to tears was and one day i checked them out because people mentioned them a lot on here, i listened to hoppipolla on repeat for several hours and it was a great day.:heart:

• 2 weeks later...

Man, every song off the album is just amazing :bliss:

Every song except "Var". :shifty: Being the only song with piano, I expected a bit more from it but it just ends so disconnected from the rest of the album. It doesn't sound too bad when including the bonus tracks after but... I don't know. "Var" felt choppy and out of place...

Three songs in and its glorious.

:edit: 9 songs through and still lovely.

Man, every song off the album is just amazing :bliss:

Every song except "Var". :shifty: Being the only song with piano, I expected a bit more from it but it just ends so disconnected from the rest of the album. It doesn't sound too bad when including the bonus tracks after but... I don't know. "Var" felt choppy and out of place...

I thought it was dandy.