✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sigur Rós

busybeeburns

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if anyone saw - or cared - but Valtari was given three out of five by Q Magazine lately and compared to Celine Dion.

Bellends.

Comparisons to Celine Dion? Unforgiveable. :angry:

There really aren't 'that' many dates in general, and most of them are festivals. I have zero doubt that they're gonna come back around again after europe.

D'ya really think so? I hope you're right.

New song Dauðalogn was premiered on TVD last night (I think)?!?!

Yep, it's true. I looked it up. :nod:

Looks like Kjartan won't be playing with the band during this tour. :(

The Icelandic National Broadcasting Service (RÚV) released an excerpt from an interview this afternoon wherein Kjartan himself confirms that he will be replaced on the upcoming tour by Ólafur Björn Ólafsson on keyboard and oboe, and Kjartan Dagur Hólm—younger brother of Georg and member of celebrated post-rockers For A Minor Reflection—on guitar.

source.

Guess I'll be the first to say I'm partly disappointed with the new album. It's not that it's too slow or ambient (I have a tendency for overrating releases by Kyle Bobby Dunn or Celer for being precisely that), but that it just feels like they've run out of ideas, and had I not heard the first half of ( ), the latter half of Takk, and Riceboy Sleeps, I would be going ballistic about how incredible Valtari is. Instead, I can't stop myself from realizing where I have heard many of these melodies, tricks, progressions before. In some ways, it's too post-rock for its own good. The steady emotional bass drones are a bit predictable, as are the piano, violin, and vocal melodies that match them with atomic precision.

It's still gorgeous, and I'll probable still get it on vinyl, but after such an impressive progression of sounds from album to album, I can't quite see where Valtari fits in. While Jonsi & Alex's release had some ambient credibility with its uneven timings and dense layering, the inclusion of the other bandmates turns it into a collection of slow motion pop songs that feel a little more transparent and less impactful from song to song, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pitchfork gave it as low as a 6 come release time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guess I'll be the first to say I'm partly disappointed with the new album. It's not that it's too slow or ambient (I have a tendency for overrating releases by Kyle Bobby Dunn or Celer for being precisely that), but that it just feels like they've run out of ideas, and had I not heard the first half of ( ), the latter half of Takk, and Riceboy Sleeps, I would be going ballistic about how incredible Valtari is. Instead, I can't stop myself from realizing where I have heard many of these melodies, tricks, progressions before. In some ways, it's too post-rock for its own good. The steady emotional bass drones are a bit predictable, as are the piano, violin, and vocal melodies that match them with atomic precision.

It's still gorgeous, and I'll probable still get it on vinyl, but after such an impressive progression of sounds from album to album, I can't quite see where Valtari fits in. While Jonsi & Alex's release had some ambient credibility with its uneven timings and dense layering, the inclusion of the other bandmates turns it into a collection of slow motion pop songs that feel a little more transparent and less impactful from song to song, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pitchfork gave it as low as a 6 come release time.

In a way I agree with most of the things you put to point here. It does seem a little "unimaginative (for lack of a nicer word)" for a band with all the imagination in the world. Some slight tiny parts of the album remind me of ( ) and if you guys have the album already, you would notice that the songs don't really match up. They all seem kind of like "stand alone" songs, respectively. The only song that impacts SOME grace into the album are Varúð and Rembihnútur (my personal faves). In my opinion, the latter half of the album really dies down, gives no craving satisfaction of a good ending. Like they didn't know what else to do and simply dragged it. The first half is what I would say be the better part.

I think there are definitely better songs and songs that need a little something else, but I don't think it's as simple as first half vs. second half. I think it's more like this:

Better half: "Ekki Múkk," "Varúð," "Dauðalogn," "Fjögur Píanó"

Lesser half: "Ég Anda," "Rembihnútur," "Varðeldur" (the reworking of "Lúppulagið" from "Inni." I liked it better in its original format.), "Valtari"

Of course, this is solely based on my personal tastes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anybody explain something to me,cause i'm really confused :wacky: lol

Yesterday i got Valtari album, then i just listened to it, aparently i only had the 8 songs right? the last one it's suppose to be Fjögur píano, right? But now i just ripped the cd to my itunes and i got two extras songs :| is this possible? It's Kvistur and Logn, Kvistur is b-side of ekki múkk and Logn no idea :|

Is this normal? it's suppose to be a surprise?