✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Canada, eh?!

Canadian_Aphrodite

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was sooo warm here today, the snow almost started to melt. Thanks Canada for sending us your weather!:rolleyes::laugh3:

I was dodging Canadian-induced snow-ice avalanches falling off the metal roof on Violet's barn - but you get 1 sec. warnings before being impacted, so that's fair. And is there an Occupy Canada movement going on?? (occupy Ottawa for instance.. seems like it would make sense, given the nature of Harper's regime and all ..)

Glad to share the warmth,lol. We just got the first snow here today. Just a few flakes, but it was nice.

Occupy is everywhere here. The Ottawa camp is at risk of being moved off since someone planted a huge pile of dirty needles. The London, Ontario camp has been shut down. (A guy got arrested for pitching a tent after they'd all been moved off.) The Vancouver camp will soon be dismantled due to s young woman dying of an O.D. in her tent...I'm guessing that's going to cause some real violence. Toronto's still going strong, and here in Kingston, it's still peaceful. I hope all in the soon-to-be dismantled camps are safe. If we'd HAD the social equality the Occupy movement are fighting for, that woman in Vancouver might still be alive. Ironic that they blame the camp.

I'm not in a position to occupy, but that story got me to go to our camp here and at least show my support. I hope others react the same way!

Glad to share the warmth,lol. We just got the first snow here today. Just a few flakes, but it was nice.

Occupy is everywhere here. The Ottawa camp is at risk of being moved off since someone planted a huge pile of dirty needles. The London, Ontario camp has been shut down. (A guy got arrested for pitching a tent after they'd all been moved off.) The Vancouver camp will soon be dismantled due to s young woman dying of an O.D. in her tent...I'm guessing that's going to cause some real violence. Toronto's still going strong, and here in Kingston, it's still peaceful. I hope all in the soon-to-be dismantled camps are safe. If we'd HAD the social equality the Occupy movement are fighting for, that woman in Vancouver might still be alive. Ironic that they blame the camp.

I'm not in a position to occupy, but that story got me to go to our camp here and at least show my support. I hope others react the same way!

Wow, I'm happy to hear that Occupy really is everywhere!!:):):) Hm, I suppose, Canadian fir & spruce needles, they do get quite messy and all, especially if they're dirty, you know, mixed with tar sands and all that..;) But that's interesting, an unusual reason to shut it down.. seems like a needle in a haystack excuse to me. Sounds like the authorities are looking for any excuse to shut down the demonstrations... At least Toronto is going strong!! YAY!!

Kingston's movement is peaceful, or it's like crickets signing in Kingston?

I 'm not quite following you on the woman dying of an O.D. in her tent - and social equity issues the Occupy movement is fighting for - doesn't Canada have a top notch heath care system? I am confused. But even so, for the media's sake, I'm sure they blame the camps, much as it is here in the mainstream media - since they all know who they're working for.

Goodnight Canada!:)

Wow, I'm happy to hear that Occupy really is everywhere!!:):):) Hm, I suppose, Canadian fir & spruce needles, they do get quite messy and all, especially if they're dirty, you know, mixed with tar sands and all that..;) But that's interesting, an unusual reason to shut it down.. seems like a needle in a haystack excuse to me. Sounds like the authorities are looking for any excuse to shut down the demonstrations... At least Toronto is going strong!! YAY!!

Kingston's movement is peaceful, or it's like crickets signing in Kingston?

I 'm not quite following you on the woman dying of an O.D. in her tent - and social equity issues the Occupy movement is fighting for - doesn't Canada have a top notch heath care system? I am confused. But even so, for the media's sake, I'm sure they blame the camps, much as it is here in the mainstream media - since they all know who they're working for.

Goodnight Canada!:)

Goodnight, C.K. When you're up tomorrow: We do have a good health care system, and a great model for the world, but it's not as great as it sounds, especially with people like Harper in power. We still have long wait times and doctor shortages. And our homeless seem to have just as little access as in many parts of the U.S. Someone like that women in Vancouver fell through the cracks. She probably could have been cared for, but the stats for drug deaths in Van are way above the national average! The camp was probably a better home than she could hope for elsewhere, so blaming them for her death iss ironic and tragic.

Re your question about Kingston, a little of both. ;)

We do have it fairly good here, but we still have that 1% and we still have people starving and homeless, and folks like Harper would rather sweep them away.

Goodnight, C.K. When you're up tomorrow: We do have a good health care system, and a great model for the world, but it's not as great as it sounds, especially with people like Harper in power. We still have long wait times and doctor shortages. And our homeless seem to have just as little access as in many parts of the U.S. Someone like that women in Vancouver fell through the cracks. She probably could have been cared for, but the stats for drug deaths in Van are way above the national average! The camp was probably a better home than she could hope for elsewhere, so blaming them for her death iss ironic and tragic.

Re your question about Kingston, a little of both. ;)

We do have it fairly good here, but we still have that 1% and we still have people starving and homeless, and folks like Harper would rather sweep them away.

Good morning Canada!:waffle::sunny::chef:

I didn't know that, I always assumed it was top-notch, hm.. you mean Stephen Harper's government is lowering the quality of health care in Canada? Imagine that - they're all the same everywhere, including their shimmering hair!:laugh3: Long wait times, doctor shortages - definitely a problem, especially for those with immediate needs. Hm, homeless there forgotten too - that's not good. So that explains what happened to the woman, how sad. Well I suppose her living in the camp was better - at least the camp had people who cared for her, as opposed to just living under a bridge.

Ah, so the Kingston Trio consists of three singing crickets?:P

>> Hard to imagine people starving and homeless in Canada, guess it happens anywhere to a degree.. Yes, those compassionate conservatives; so Harper would rather sweep them away, hm.. - is that what Jesus would do?? I will never understand how they reconcile the disparities in their minds. - just how did he come to power?

Here, it's the usual money-buys-results problem - same there?

Keep warm in the great white north!:)

After two minority governments, I guess we just figured we couldn't change things, so voter apathy climbed to an all-time high. To be fair, some parts of our health care are controlled by individual provinces. Ontario's wait times and doctor shortages have been vastly reduced by our Liberal gov't over the past 8 years. Still not perfect, but you can't argue with the numbers. A LOT better. Federally, we had a SURPLUS during the Libs terms, that the CONservatives have blown. Now they say they'll make it better when they're the ones who blew it in the first place.

We do have it pretty good here, but the problem of lack of equal distribution is universal, so yes, out Occupy movement still have points to raise.

The Halifax camp is not dismantled too. Oh, you can go to the park, but you can't pitch a tent, so this won't survive the winter months. Way to freeze 'em out. :(

After two minority governments, I guess we just figured we couldn't change things, so voter apathy climbed to an all-time high. To be fair, some parts of our health care are controlled by individual provinces. Ontario's wait times and doctor shortages have been vastly reduced by our Liberal gov't over the past 8 years. Still not perfect, but you can't argue with the numbers. A LOT better. Federally, we had a SURPLUS during the Libs terms, that the CONservatives have blown. Now they say they'll make it better when they're the ones who blew it in the first place.

We do have it pretty good here, but the problem of lack of equal distribution is universal, so yes, out Occupy movement still have points to raise.

The Halifax camp is not dismantled too. Oh, you can go to the park, but you can't pitch a tent, so this won't survive the winter months. Way to freeze 'em out. :(

> I think that's been the case here too - apathy from feeling overwhelmed and unsuccessful in changing things. But that's all changing now!

> Hm, interesting, so provinces are the difference in health care in Canada - glad Ontario's wait times have been reduced, that's excellent! Perhaps the model we need to follow then.

> Same issue then - surpluses under Liberal governments, deficits under Conservative governments! :laugh3: I'm sensing an uncanny similarity between our two nations in that regard. Here, the conservatives cut themselves massive tax breaks and didn't stop spending, so same issues.

>Hm, didn't know that Canada had such disparities as well. Interesting results of a recent poll in the US found that 60% of citizens favor an equalizing of wealth (from Religion and Ethics Weekly on PBS) - so this idea that the wealthy made it all on their own and deserve it all doesn't fly with the citizens either.

> mm, yea, it seems the authorities want to make it hard as hell to rally in the cities, same issues there then, I see. But the motivators persist, this movement isn't going away - I am sure there will be more in time. I still think the longer it goes on, the awareness continues - never let it slip out of sight from the media or from the citizen's view. A lamp of hope still glows for us all in those hearty souls that brave it in the cold.:sunny:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

13 days ago I posted about Coldplay being on Q. Today, I had the honour of being there too!

Q listeners will know that six Ontario cities have been competing to have an episode of the show recorded in their town. So just for fun, I wrote a song for Jian last week and posted it just last night on FB, his twitter and the CBC q page. And guess what?...

He played a snippet of it this morning and complimented my voice!!!!!

I really didn't think he'd play it and didn't even find out til hours after when I logged onto Facebook!!

Sorry to brag, but I've been grining like a kid all day and have had more butterflies in my stomach than a Coldplay concert,lol. Just. So. Thrilled!

I won't be offended if you don't listen, but if you want to, start the playback from December 7th's show around 54 mins.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/

Thanks, Jian! You're pure class!:D:D:D:D:D