• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

KEANE invited me to strip at the top of their show

How could I refuse?

I managed to negotiate some acoustic songs in there too.

Tue 20 Jul 10 Fox Theatre (CA)

Wed 21 Jul 10 Greek Theatre (CA)

Fri 23 Jul 10 House of Blues Las Vegas

Sun 25 Jul 10 Warehouse Live HOUSTON

Mon 26 Jul 10 House of Blues (Dallas)

Wed 28 Jul 10 Chicago Theatre

Fri 30 Jul 10 Molson Amphitheatre TORONTO

Tue 3 Aug 10 Bank of America Pavilion Boston

Thu 5 Aug 10 Merriweather Post Pavilion COLUMBIA MD

Fri 6 Aug 10 Williamsburg Waterfront Brooklyn

Sat 7 Aug 10 Mann Music Center Philly

Tue 10 Aug 10 Riverside Theatre Milwaukee

Wed 11 Aug 10 First Avenue Minni

Arranged my first support slot as a solo person. It will be me by myself for these shows.

http://www.franhealy.com

• 1 month later...

Fran has recently confirmed a number of solo acoustic shows in the US and Canada following his support slots with Keane this July.

Dates are as follows, ticketing links coming soon.

Thu 12 Aug 2010

West End Cultural Centre, Winnipeg, Canada.

Sat 14 Aug 10

Grand Theatre, Calgary, Canada

Sun 15 Aug 2010

Starlite Room, Edmonton. Canada

Tue 17 Aug 2010

Vogue Theater, Vancouver, BC.

Wed 18 Aug 2010

The Triple Door, Seattle, WA, US.

Fri 20 Aug 2010

Aladdin Theater, Portland, OR, US.

Fran's solo album 'Wreckorder' is due for release later this year. Check Fran's site at

http://www.franhealy.com/

http://www.travisonline.com

• 1 month later...

well... i will continue to post in this thread and not in the fran solo thread that has recently appeared - simply because i feel more at home in this thread, hehe ;) i hope you guys don't mind.

here's the wreckorder-cover (US release october 5th, europe october 4th) which has recently been revealed:

wreckordercover300x300.jpg

what do you think about it?

i think it looks really, really country haha. it's a nice picture, i like it - but it came as a surprise, i thought the cover would be different.

for everyone who missed it so far, here's fran's first single (probably released next month) - it's called buttercups: http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-song-travis-fran-healy-goes-solo

and here are a couple of more new songs, recently performed while supporting keane:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbRva5OweeI]YouTube- ‪Fran Healy - In the Morning‬‎[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-hvDwERqs]YouTube- ‪Fran Healy - As It Comes‬‎[/ame]

well... i will continue to post in this thread and not in the fran solo thread that has recently appeared - simply because i feel more at home in this thread, hehe ;) i hope you guys don't mind.

I think it's daft to have separate threads where Fran is concerned. I reckon they should be merged.:dozey:

Travis frontman feeling lucky

This is Fran Healy's year. In more ways than one.

Not only is the "benevolent dictator" of Britpop band Travis celebrating the release of his first solo album Wreckorder this fall; he's also quite excited about the fact that he just turned 37.

"It's great," he enthused from his apartment in Manhattan's SoHo district. "I'm feeling really lucky -- 37 is my lucky number, because it's my birthday backwards. I was born in '73.

"I really like numbers," he explains. "I always have. When I see someone's phone number, I either go 'Eww' or 'Wow, that's an amazing number!' So I'm really happy to be 37. The best part of it is that I already thought I was 37 when I was 36. So now I've got an extra year of being 37."

And he's making the most of it. The appealing (and undeniably Travis-like) Wreckorder -- which features contributions by Neko Case and some guy named Paul McCartney -- is due in stores the first week of October. Leading up to that, he'll be roadtesting new material with a tour that swings through Canada over the next few weeks. As he prepared to head out to a performance in Las Vegas on his birthday -- no wonder he's feeling lucky -- the easygoing Scotsman chatted about going solo, making magic and sacrificing animals for Sir Paul.

What's the status of Travis? Are you on hiatus?

Yeah. We came off the road last July and everyone needed a break. But I didn't want to stop; I wanted to use the time. I've been asked since the beginning of the band whether I was ever going to do a solo record. I always said no, right up until the moment I decided I should do a record by myself.

What changed your mind?

I don't know. I think there are just moments when your brain changes and you think something is the right thing to do. And as soon as I switched my brain into this other gear, it was amazing. There's so much I haven't done. So it feels like this is where I should be right now. I never thought, 'I have to get back to the band.' So I'm going to do this for the next eight months and then write the next Travis record.

How did your newfound freedom affect your songwriting?

It didn't. Travis songs are like photographs of me. They've always been. Once when I was trying to figure out what a song was about, our bass player Dougie (Payne) said, 'It's about you. All your songs are about you. Even when you don't think you are.' So that hasn't changed at all.

So were this not your solo album, it would have been the next Travis disc?

Yeah, probably. It's just being played through a different filter. So maybe it sounds a bit different. I've been told it does, but I can't hear it. I do know I don't play the same as the other guys because I don't play as well as they do. When I make demos, they have odd little things in them that change when I take them to the band. And we always end up chasing the demo because it has the magic. This time, I got to keep those things.

So the magic makes up for the fact that you're not a great bass player?

Well, I only played bass on three or four tracks. The rest of the time, I had somebody else do it.

Yeah, including somebody named Paul McCartney. How did that happen?

I wrote this song called As It Comes, and the refrain reminded me of The Beatles. I thought, 'Why don't I get in touch with him?' I know Paul. We met in 2000 on holiday -- we were staying in the same place. Anyway, I thought I should ask, because if I didn't, I'd always wonder if he would have done it. So I sent it to him last July and he did it. People always ask him to sing on their albums, but I don't think he's ever played bass on anyone else's album before. Naturally, I really wanted to say thank you. But what do you get Paul McCartney? So I thought it would be cool if my family became vegetarians.

That's a bit extreme, isn't it?

Well, the enormity of changing your diet for the rest of your days seemed to balance with the enormity of getting Paul McCartney to play on your album. And honestly, it was pretty easy. My son's a veggie, and I'd been thinking about it for ages. I'm running and trying to be more healthy.

Neko Case is also on Wreckorder. What did you do to thank her?

Nothing that I could tell you about.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/07/28/14853756.html

• 1 month later...

fran-healy_w-r-e-c-k-o-r-d-e-r-c-o-v-e-r.jpg

Travis: The Inspiration for Coldplay and Snow Patrol?

With a new solo album set for an October release and a U.S. tour completed, Fran Healy has been on hiatus from Travis, but that doesn’t mean the British band is far from his mind. He recently spoke to Scotland’s The Herald about the British rock legacy Travis shares with bands such as Radiohead and Coldplay.

“There’s a kind of family tree with these bands,” he said. “It starts with Oasis and Radiohead. They begat Travis. Then, if you stuck Travis and Radiohead together you’d get Coldplay; if you stuck Coldplay and Travis together you’d get Keane; and then with Keane and Travis you get Snow Patrol.”

Actually, to promote his forthcoming solo debut, Wreckorder (which features some work by Sir Paul McCartney), Healy toured as an opener for Keane’s summer tour.

“It was nice because when they were starting out [in 2004] we had them on tour, and now I’m starting out they have me on their tour,” he said. “I said to them it’s kind of come full circle.”

Healy said that his Travis bandmates (Andy Dunlop, Dougie Payne, Neil Primrose) were happy to let him do the solo thing for a little while because it gave each of them a chance to spend time with their kids. Although Healy has begun writing tunes for the band’s next album, he said he hasn’t missed the band when he’s been out on his own.

“I liked touring alone because I’m an only child,” he said. “A lot of my friends are stand-up comedians, and I’ve always had a secret jealousy of their lifestyle. You don’t have to talk to anyone. It’s like one big, long meditation; like a holiday.”

Wreckorder will be released October 4 in the U.K. and October 5 in the U.S.

http://www.gibson.com/

^What I particularly like about that interview is that it's made clear that Travis are only taking a break!:D

I also love that whole Coldplay-Travis-Keane-Snow Patrol thing. No surprised that I'm a fan of all of them.

The only band from the list I've never really "got" is Radiohead.