✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Arcade Fire

*Justine*

yes..it is has a sad origin...but when you think about how groups write lyrics..the members have that chance to make the lyrics all the more meaningful. Because, can you imagine singing a song over and over and over again in concert and for studio recordings ...and it being so meaningless to you, that the listener does not feel the passion of the song?

The best songs are the ones with passions behind em. ;)

yes..it is has a sad origin...but when you think about how groups write lyrics..the members have that chance to make the lyrics all the more meaningful. Because, can you imagine singing a song over and over and over again in concert and for studio recordings ...and it being so meaningless to you, that the listener does not feel the passion of the song?

The best songs are the ones with passions behind em. ;)

origin? tell tell....

but the official arcade fire board is scary..

i make a thread about their pics but the people just said

'can i post a madonna pic too?'

and that's just.. :uhoh: :sick:

:dozey:

That is pretty nasty. I guess I won't hang out over there haha

yeah... I highly recommend them.. except I have noticed that when I do listen to them... it happens to be a night. You know.. there are just some bands out there that sound better at night..

weird, I know... but, its true. Maybe they're a night band.

origin? tell tell....

okay. here is the scoop on the song

' Haiti'

Regine Butler (you know, from The Arcade Fire :rolleyes: ) Lived in Haiti as a youth. I don't know the reason exactly, ( I assume it was because her parents did not approve of it) but Regine started to learn how to play a variety of instruments ..but in secret from her family.

Meanwhile, there is a dictatorship in Haiti, so her family flees to the United States (I believe it was New Jersey...but could have been New York..i read about it weeks ago) THen they move to Canada...and so on.

But the point is...the song is basically about all the troubles ruling about in Haiti during the dictatorship and how families are tossed about during these times.

So now this should give you some insight on where the 'origin' came from...you can tell that this is probably a powerful song for Regine/about her...if you read the lyrics AND know her past...

I think it is really important to know artists' pasts because it lets you know where they are coming from and know what many wish to know ...the meaning of a song.

( with translations of French words in [ ] brackets)

' Haiti'

Haiti, mon pays, [ 'my country' in French, Regine speaks it]

wounded mother I'll never see.

Ma famille [my family] set me free.

Throw my ashes into the sea.

Mes cousins jamais nés [my cousins, never born]

hantent les nuits de Duvalier. [the nights of Duvalier(where she lived) haunt]

Rien n'arrete nos esprits. [Nothing stops/quits our spirits]

Guns can't kill what soldiers can't see.

In the forest we are hiding,

unmarked graves where flowers grow.

Hear the soldiers angry yelling,

in the river we will go.

Tous les morts-nés forment une armée, [All the still-born children form an army]

soon we will reclaim the earth.

All the tears and all the bodies

bring about our second birth.

Haiti, never free,

n'aie pas peur de sonner l'alarme. [ not afraid to sound alarm]

Tes enfants sont partis, [Your children left]

In those days their blood was still warm

I dunno. I am always NOT looking forward to new albums by artists I enjoy...but at the same time, I look forward to it....to hear what it is like.

BUT i get myself aaaalllll worked up hoping and wishing it will be mega good and all.

But sometimes ...it is very hard to find really good sequals to albums.

Like...I waited forever for X&Y to come out..thinking it was gonna be THE shit. BUt it turns out it was not as great as I expected and can honestly say if it wasn't for the songs 'Til Kingdom COme' and 'Fix You' I wish X&Y would not have come out..why? because it is nothing like AROBTTH ....much less Parachutes. WHich no album of theirs can ever top!

So i really really do hope that THe Arcade surprises me with more heart throbbing music but keeps to their unique style and that they don't make it all " mainstreamy" ..just cuz they made it to the top :)

okay. here is the scoop on the song

' Haiti'

Regine Butler (you know, from The Arcade Fire :rolleyes: ) Lived in Haiti as a youth. I don't know the reason exactly, ( I assume it was because her parents did not approve of it) but Regine started to learn how to play a variety of instruments ..but in secret from her family.

Meanwhile, there is a dictatorship in Haiti, so her family flees to the United States (I believe it was New Jersey...but could have been New York..i read about it weeks ago) THen they move to Canada...and so on.

But the point is...the song is basically about all the troubles ruling about in Haiti during the dictatorship and how families are tossed about during these times.

So now this should give you some insight on where the 'origin' came from...you can tell that this is probably a powerful song for Regine/about her...if you read the lyrics AND know her past...

I think it is really important to know artists' pasts because it lets you know where they are coming from and know what many wish to know ...the meaning of a song.

( with translations of French words in [ ] brackets)

' Haiti'

Haiti, mon pays, [ 'my country' in French, Regine speaks it]

wounded mother I'll never see.

Ma famille [my family] set me free.

Throw my ashes into the sea.

Mes cousins jamais nés [my cousins, never born]

hantent les nuits de Duvalier. [the nights of Duvalier(where she lived) haunt]

Rien n'arrete nos esprits. [Nothing stops/quits our spirits]

Guns can't kill what soldiers can't see.

In the forest we are hiding,

unmarked graves where flowers grow.

Hear the soldiers angry yelling,

in the river we will go.

Tous les morts-nés forment une armée, [All the still-born children form an army]

soon we will reclaim the earth.

All the tears and all the bodies

bring about our second birth.

Haiti, never free,

n'aie pas peur de sonner l'alarme. [ not afraid to sound alarm]

Tes enfants sont partis, [Your children left]

In those days their blood was still warm

oh man i knew bits of that story..:thinking: but i thought it had even more story to it, but it is still very hard. haiti is like the happiest song for me on this cd and knowing the story behind it kinda makes me an idiot.

oh man i knew bits of that story..:thinking: but i thought it had even more story to it' date=' but it is still very hard. haiti is like the happiest song for me on this cd and knowing the story behind it kinda makes me an idiot.[/quote']

Yeah, the song sounds happy enough to qualify as an uplifting song (apart from noticing the lyrics and it's meaning), especially with the guitar, flute (?) and xylophone parts and the fast beat. dont worry, I'll look like an idiot with you ;) .

heh...sorry, but it is best to know the truths behind these things. Then you know where the artists are coming from :)

Like that song by Billy Holiday called Strange Fruit. It's real low and (creepy if you aske me) but since it exhibited her strong voice in a beautiful way ... most people didn't care to notice that the lyrics where so very sick! The lyrics speak of the hangings of blacks/african american people ....

yeah.

BUT i don't understand how people didn't notice them till some closer analysis ( :huh: ) what they meant! I mean ..singing those lyrics out loud...would give it all away...but uh.

Strange Fruit

Southern trees bear strange fruit,

Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,

Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,

Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,

The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,

Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,

Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,

For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,

For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,

Here is a strange and bitter crop.