✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Arctic Monkeys!

Lamposts

Yea I think I remember a while back they was on Letterman? So thats good.

Its funny because over here, there was such an explosion of popularity for them when their first album came out, I think because of especially the way in which they put songs on myspace and that sort of thing, but also because it was a 'proper' guitar band, a great british sound, a new generation I suppose. But now I feel like almost even though they are still popular, they are not really a singles band like they may have been on their first album, it feels like their popularity has levelled out.

I think people have become apathetic to rock music in general; bands like Muse, U2, Kings of Leon, The Strokes and Beady Eye have felt the full force of people not caring about their latest release.

I think the Arctics have done pretty well in the drought. They've still conjured up a hype (don't believe it though) with recent singles and videos.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, it is sad really, rock music just isnt the most popular music in the charts anymore. Although these same bands always do well on the album front, I mean an example, Keane are number 1 in the album chart at the moment. I always think albums mean more anyway than singles!

But here in the U.S., nobody's heard a thing by Keane since "Somewhere Only We Know". :rolleyes:

Still, Jack White's album hit #1 here a few weeks back, which was a pleasant surprise since it was the first rock album to hit #1 since Foo Fighters over a year ago.

Not being disrespectful, but we don't see America as really having the same history for rock music as Britain.

Sure, you've produced some fantastic bands; The White Stripes, Nirvana, the Ramones, Pavement, Foo Fighters etc, but over here you're more known for your rap scene (Public Enemy, NWA, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Tupac, Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem) which wipes the floor with ours, then there's the soul (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Temptations, Alicia Keys, Jackson 5) and then there's the pop (Madonna, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Rihanna). That's not even touching on the country music you guys produce; you're like the only country in the world associated with that genre :P

Not saying you guys don't like rock music, but I think it's more ingrained in our culture. Brits panic if rock isn't flying high in the charts, I wouldn't imagine the average American would care as much.

Well it's true, though. The rock scene here is prevalent but it's underground. Rock festivals are all able to sell out and yet that's all through buzz, not mainstream advertisement. You don't hear rock songs in public. There hasn't been a rock single to hit #1 here in over a decade (Viva la Vida is a pop song and does not count :P). Heck, several American rock bands like The Killers are way more popular overseas than they are in their own home country.

Bringing this thread back to Arctic Monkeys, though, they may never break North America at this point. They've been playing 3,000-capacity venues here ever since Favourite Worst Nightmare and haven't been able to move higher. Which I won't complain about because I enjoy more intimate shows. :P

Yea, I agree, I mean I did think of Coldplay instantly as a band that has been popular in the US, but of course they are not really rock at all, more connected to pop than ever rock, frankly.

3000 is a nice size indeed from the fans perspective :lol:

I think with Arctic Monkeys though, they don't seem all that bothered about conquering the States. What I like about this recent tour is that from reading interviews, they just seemed to do it because it was a new experience, playing to a crowd that isn't their own, maybe picking up a few extra fans on the way.

Bands like Oasis, Coldplay, U2 and Blur have all made conscious decisions to try and take their sound across the pond. It's hit or miss as to whether it comes off, but mostly miss. I don't think the Monkeys have approached America in the same way.

Not being disrespectful, but we don't see America as really having the same history for rock music as Britain.

Sure, you've produced some fantastic bands; The White Stripes, Nirvana, the Ramones, Pavement, Foo Fighters etc, but over here you're more known for your rap scene (Public Enemy, NWA, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Tupac, Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem) which wipes the floor with ours, then there's the soul (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Temptations, Alicia Keys, Jackson 5) and then there's the pop (Madonna, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Rihanna). That's not even touching on the country music you guys produce; you're like the only country in the world associated with that genre :P

Not saying you guys don't like rock music, but I think it's more ingrained in our culture. Brits panic if rock isn't flying high in the charts, I wouldn't imagine the average American would care as much.

You are 100% right about this. I just wrote an essay on it actually. Sure the U.S may have given birth to the roots of rock (bluegrass, blues, country, etc), but it hasn't regained the crown since the 50s. It's really interesting actually. I think the reason for so few American rock bands is the way our culture is over here. It's not as "sexy" as pop or as "gangsta" as rap. Not that there's anything wrong with those genres nessisarilly, it's just that I find radios, tv, and people overlook rock, perhaps cause they can't market it as easily.

You are 100% right about this. I just wrote an essay on it actually. Sure the U.S may have given birth to the roots of rock (bluegrass, blues, country, etc), but it hasn't regained the crown since the 50s. It's really interesting actually. I think the reason for so few American rock bands is the way our culture is over here. It's not as "sexy" as pop or as "gangsta" as rap. Not that there's anything wrong with those genres nessisarilly, it's just that I find radios, tv, and people overlook rock, perhaps cause they can't market it as easily.

Just glad I haven't offended any Americans! :P

There's no reason for us to be offended. You're speaking your mind, and as far as I can tell, we all agree. I too wish there'd be more variety in the Top 40 charts over here.

Can go two ways though, when you suggest something isn't in your culture.

Over here, we pretty much follow whatever America does, so we're feeling the full force of American pop at present. Every now and then, the tide changes though, and soon (hopefully) we'll see another "Cool Britannia" movement. Which the Arctic Monkeys would no doubt thrive in.

:lol: One Direction and The Wanted right?

Thats good though if the Arctics are not putting too much pressure on themselves to crack America so to speak, but obviously try anyway, and supporting The Black Keys sounds like a good start to me.

SIAS feels SO American to me, the sound running throughout the album, the music videos for the singles off of it, even the way Alex has dressed and styled himself in this period.

:lol: One Direction and The Wanted right?

Thats good though if the Arctics are not putting too much pressure on themselves to crack America so to speak, but obviously try anyway, and supporting The Black Keys sounds like a good start to me.

SIAS feels SO American to me, the sound running throughout the album, the music videos for the singles off of it, even the way Alex has dressed and styled himself in this period.

It is, and then he opens his mouth and says something like "comfortable shoes" or "curly straws and metaphors and goo". :D

^ OMG. One day during the semester, one of my 6th grade flute players told me she was seeing them in concert, and that class freaked out when I told them I didn't like them. One Direction and The Wanted are taking over everything. MAKE IT STOP. :bigcry:

^ OMG. One day during the semester, one of my 6th grade flute players told me she was seeing them in concert, and that class freaked out when I told them I didn't like them. One Direction and The Wanted are taking over everything. MAKE IT STOP. :bigcry:

Ah no! It really baffles me how them bands have become big in the US, but I think One Direction's image has always been so directed towards the American market anyway from the very start. The Wanted, I am a bit more confused about....

It is, and then he opens his mouth and says something like "comfortable shoes" or "curly straws and metaphors and goo". :D

Ah yes of course, his lyrics are very....unique :lol:

I think Alex is one of few true poets in music.

People talk about great lyricists, and they mention Dylan, Lennon, Gil Scott Heron, maybe more recently they talk about Jay-Z, Damon Albarn, Thom Yorke, Frank Turner, Scroobius Pip.

But poetry is the misbehaviour of language. It's about playing with words, cadence, flow and rhyme, and it's as much about how the words fall into place as what the words mean.

All these lyricists have something to say, and that's great in its own way, but Alex is the only songwriter I can think of that is considered so great, but doesn't really have a point behind what he's saying. It's just all about the language. If you look at Library Pictures, Cornerstone, Crying Lightning, Only Ones Who Know, he's not really trying to say anything. He paints a beautiful picture with his images, and the words flow spectacularly, but he's not trying to start a revolution with his lyrics.

That's what I think true poetry is, anyway.

Yea I think thats quite true actually, agreed. I mean I like his use of words, because they flow with the music, I mean in general I'm not really that interested in lyrics, but what I love is when certain lyrics and lines of words tie in with certain points of music and melody. An example is on 'Dangerous Animals' with the line;

'You should have racing stripes the way you keep me in pursuit'.

I just really love that line for some reason, the words, the way it fits into the structure of the song, yea. :lol:

^I completely agree with everything you both just said. Lyrics don't need to mean anything, they need to feel right and mold well with the song. The lyrics themselves are sort of like another instrument and add another layer to the song. It doesn't matter of they mean anything - people can interpret them different ways - It's about the overall picture they create, and that picture can vary from person to person. Sometimes when lyrics are too complicated they lose that feel, and while they may still tell a story rather well, to me at least they'll never be as good as the more raw lyrics of artists like Alex Turner.

Yea I think thats quite true actually, agreed. I mean I like his use of words, because they flow with the music, I mean in general I'm not really that interested in lyrics, but what I love is when certain lyrics and lines of words tie in with certain points of music and melody. An example is on 'Dangerous Animals' with the line;

'You should have racing stripes the way you keep me in pursuit'.

I just really love that line for some reason, the words, the way it fits into the structure of the song, yea. :lol:

This!

I love the bit in Brianstorm with the drum fill from Helders, the pause and then everyone strumming, and Al shouting "THUNDER" or the "when there's people like you" in Teddy Picker...

I think my all-time favourite is Dance Little Liar. Slow-burning, moody, and that solo just blows all away.

YES! I love love that bit right at the end of Teddy Picker 'When there's people like you!'. You just wait for him to sing them words at the end of the song, you know they are coming. :lol:

There is so many to choose and mention from their songs.

Cheese Nip 2, I agree aswell, the voice of the lead singer and the words he/she sings are like an instrument themselves totally. I also find that just as instruments, say a guitar solo, brings an emotional effect from the listener, I think that the tone of the individual singers voice, the way they sing the words, also bring out a similar emotional effect.

• 2 months later...

They played I Bet That You Look Good on the Dance Floor and Come Together at the Olympics yesterday. Videos are banned from Youtube but here's audio of Come Together. It's awesome :wink:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-5tTz8flYI]Arctic Monkeys - Come Together(Beatles Cover) - London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Song - YouTube[/ame]