✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Arctic Monkeys!

Lamposts

Guest howyousawtheworld
They played I Bet That You Look Good on the Dance Floor and Come Together at the Olympics yesterday. Videos are banned from Youtube but here's audio of Come Together. It's awesome :wink:

The whole soundtrack last night was immense and this cover was incredible. Accompanied the (spooky) cyclists really well.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were absolutely fantastic IMHO.

For those of you non-UK residents, how did the Monkeys go down? What did the world think of our ceremony?

We're quite a cynical nation, but we felt pretty proud of what we'd done Friday night.

Here in the U.S., we are only shown an edited and cut-down version of the opening ceremony (happens every Olympics and it's irritating), so only a small part of "Dancefloor" was shown, and the announcers were talking over "Come Together" the entire time. Disappointing, especially since almost no one here has heard of Arctic Monkeys, and this would have been a perfect method of exposure for them.

Luckily, I am a very plugged-in individual who streamed the full performance though an illegal source. :P

As for the ceremony itself, it's funny, most of my American friends on FB and Twitter thought it was incredible and exceeded that of Beijing. Yet some of my UK friends were all like "We're so lame, Beijing was better!" :laugh3: Funny how that works out, but I guess the self-cynicism thing is true. We're also cynical about ourselves, if it's any consolation.

^And the commentaors were like "This here Arctic Monkeys. They is English band. Good cover." and then proceeded to go in depth about the history of bicycles. I mean, they seemed to enjoy it but just kept on talking. To bad we didn't get to hear dance floor stateside.

Here in the U.S., we are only shown an edited and cut-down version of the opening ceremony (happens every Olympics and it's irritating), so only a small part of "Dancefloor" was shown, and the announcers were talking over "Come Together" the entire time. Disappointing, especially since almost no one here has heard of Arctic Monkeys, and this would have been a perfect method of exposure for them.

Luckily, I am a very plugged-in individual who streamed the full performance though an illegal source. :P

As for the ceremony itself, it's funny, most of my American friends on FB and Twitter thought it was incredible and exceeded that of Beijing. Yet some of my UK friends were all like "We're so lame, Beijing was better!" :laugh3: Funny how that works out, but I guess the self-cynicism thing is true. We're also cynical about ourselves, if it's any consolation.

Some of my friends thought it was a bit lame, but the general reaction was good.

One American pointed out that the part about our National Health Service certainly says a lot about our country. That's probably one of the bits I was most proud of.

But on topic of Al and the gang, they were an odd choice given that they're not even that huge in Britain. Okay, they're huge, but whenever we have massive events here - celebrations for the Queen, charity events, etc - they're not an act you'd expect to feature, and Paul McCartney is. On the other hand, they are the band most representative of youth culture in our country this century. They're witty, cool, poetic, energetic, raw and exciting, and they say most about our music scene as a nation.

A friend of my sister's claimed on Twitter "We could've got someone better". I erupted, foul-mouthed and furious. Unfollow.

This reminds me of how my mom got confused about the name yesterday. I was joking with her about how she turned them off before I could watch the whole thing. This is what happened.

Mom: "Who?"

Me: "Arctic Monkeys."

Mom: "Monkeys? What monkeys?"

Me: "No, Mom, that's the name of the band."

Mom: :confused:

Me: "Y'know, the band that did 'Come Together.'"

Mom: "Oh, you mean that part with the bicycles?"

Me: "Yeah!"

Mom: "Oh! I thought they were talking about monkeys being in the snow or something."

...WTF, Mom. Just WTF. :facepalm:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
So I was looking for news for a hint on a new album when I realised that Suck It and See was only released last year.

But it feels like aaaaggggeeesss ago. Lol.

The band are currently in the Mojave Desert, having just started sessions for the fifth record. The album is set to take a heavier turn, in the vein of Evil Twin, You and I and R U Mine?. Joshua Homme is likely to take producer duties again, though the band have also expressed interest at recording another album back in Sheffield.

• 4 months later...
Looks like I'll be seeing them live this summer on a festival. I'm not a big fan though - actually I haven't even listened to a lot of their stuff, so, can any of you recommend me something?

Their sound has really changed throughout the years, they've matured.

The first album was fantastic and so was the second. So I'd give them a listen.

The most recent album was good as well, although there are a few songs I haven't really listened to on it. The same with Humbug.

They're a solid band who've released some great stuff. I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

Looks like I'll be seeing them live this summer on a festival. I'm not a big fan though - actually I haven't even listened to a lot of their stuff, so, can any of you recommend me something?

I love Arctic Monkeys, here are some of my favourites which you may like:

-Mardy Bum

-When the Sun Goes Down

-Fluorescent Adolescent

-I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

-Riot Van

-R U Mine?

:)

Check out Crying Lightning, Cornerstone, and something from Suck it and See (maybe the title track or Reckless Serenade? The album Suck it and See, at least to me, has a very different, but very good sound) as well as the ones Molly listed. The first one to me is a good indication for the "Humbug" sound, and Cornerstone mixes that sound with the more "pop" sounds heard on things like Florescent Adolescent I think.

I'd start from the beginning and go forward. It's not just that their first 2 albums are their best, but they're also more accessible to newcomers. Not that the latest 2 albums are bad or anything, though. And by the end of the SIAS tour, they were mostly playing from those older albums anyway.

Secret Door (my favourite song from Arctic Monkeys), Dance Little Liar, Fire and Thud, Crying Lightning and My Propeller are some of my favourites from Humbug.

Favourite Worst Nightmare: Fluorescent Adolescent, Brianstorm, 505, Do me a Favour, Only ones who know, are awesome.

Suck it and see: The hellcat spangled shalalala, Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair, She's Thunderstorms, Library pictures, Reckless serenade.

Whatever People Say I am That's what I'm not: When the sun goes down, The view from the afternoon, I bet you look good on the dancefloor, From the ritz to the rubble, A certain romance.

All of their albums are different but equally awesome, although in my opinion Humbug is the one with the best lyrics :D (sorry for my long post :shame:)

Irrelevant perhaps, but Dance Little Liar is probably my favourite song, ever. It's just wonderful. So dark, so poetic, the build-up before that explosive solo is perfect. It's hard to imagine that it's the same three lads (plus Nick) that sat on a wall in High Green and watched kids in town on a Friday night. Humbug is such a sweet maturity and Dance Little Liar is the perfect centrepiece.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was there. Hate on. :cool:

(Living in crappy Ventura finally paid off after 24 years of no decent band ever playing here.)

New song sounded great. I was hoping they'd go in the direction of "R U Mine?" and it seems they indeed are.

Took a couple vids of some old forgotten beauties:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnLWMwNA3pE]Arctic Monkeys - Old Yellow Bricks - Live at Ventura Theater - Ventura, CA 5/22/13 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1k7LTdRSeY]Arctic Monkeys - Dancing Shoes - Live at Ventura Theater - Ventura, CA 5/22/13 - YouTube[/ame]

I can't believe they played Dancing Shoes, Cornerstone and Fake Tales of San Francisco :awesome:.

I really liked the new song but it sounds too much like R U Mine :thinking:, I'm really looking forward to the studio version.

Fake Tales of San Francisco had one of the biggest crowd reactions of the night, and I had no idea how infrequently they've played it until I got home and checked! Would've recorded had I known, but oh well, had a good time rocking out to it instead.