✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The National

heartswarm

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gonna take several more listens for me, but Boxer and High Violet probably got 100 listens from me, so that shouldn't be a problem. Humiliation was a standout after a first listen, but some of the others kinda blended together so give me a week or so to familiarize myself.

Okay, given it a few full listens now, tentatively placing it at #3 behind Boxer and High Violet but at least on par with Alligator. In other words, pretty damn good. I feel like "Slipped" and "Graceless" are filler tracks that could've been left out, but the rest is fantastic. Top 3 are "Humiliation", "I Need My Girl", and "This Is the Last Time" respectively.

Whew, I thought something was wrong with me because I didn't get the hype about "Graceless", but I feel at peace now that someone calls it a filler track. My absolute favourite is "Heavenfaced", followed by "I Need My Girl" and "This Is The Last Time".

Yes. I wish Pink Rabbits was the closer, Hard To Find is quite a weak one.

Also after a few more listens, I'm starting to think that this might actually be their best album :wacky:

Agreed. I revoke what I said about "Slipped" being a filler track because it grew on me very quickly. Now I'm saying "Hard to Find" is the weak link on the album. "Pink Rabbits" is one of the most complex songs they've ever done.

So I've listened to the album a bunch of times now. At first I was a little diasppointed, since nothing jumped out at me, but it's really gotten better for every listen. And it has a similar sound to Exile Vilify/Think You Can Wait, which was what I was hoping they'd go for. I guess subtle is a good word for the record. Humiliation is incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't listened to "Trouble Will Find Me" as much as I probably should have (especially not now, seeing as a lot of my listening time is being spent with the new Daft Punk record), but I do have to say that I'm particularly fond of "Fireproof." :heart:

^ "Fireproof" is already proving to be that one awesome song on every National album that never gets talked about (just like "Anyone's Ghost" on the last one). Very Boxer-esque.

On another note, I am seeing these guys in a freaking cemetery in August.

^ "Fireproof" is already proving to be that one awesome song on every National album that never gets talked about (just like "Anyone's Ghost" on the last one). Very Boxer-esque.

On another note, I am seeing these guys in a freaking cemetery in August.

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW ENVIOUS I AM OF YOU

That cemetery is a great place for such gigs, as weird as this sounds.

I haven't listened to the album as much as I should but I do love Graceless. A lot.