✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your instruments

Square 4

I never heard of their studio flooding. Never know though.

I know he has 3 prized guitars. His first Explorer, his first Les Paul and Strat. He sold his LP for charity.

The location where that pic was taken is no longer there anymore. Dublin demolished the HQ. U2 are now building a tower with a studio.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say it's really great to talk to other people who love thier playing and thier equipment as much as I do:D

Can I ask you guys, I've been thinking of getting another guitar and was thinking about maybe getting one of the artist models, do you think I should or just get something else and customize it?.

I dont mind artist models. Im not a huge fan of them. I'd Much rather buy a guitar and make it my own. Like with my Les Paul, Im gonna put some custom pickups in it.

I'd love to have a signature Buckland guitar, but I would like to develop my own sound over time. But Jon and The Edges sound will influence me. I know Im getting confusing here.

It all depends on the model and your playing style. Oh and your wallet.

My style is very energetic yet I can be mellow too, I would say my style has been shaped mostly by John Frusciante, I love his style but when I write it's kind of different too you know?, my wallet is pretty deep when it comes to instruments, I was thinking of either the Joe Strummer Tele or the Billy Corgan Strat, I've never changed any pickups in my guitars, mostly because I love the sound of my Strat and Jag how they are and if I want to make them sound different I do it with effects, then I have The VG Strat which can be altered at the turn of a knob, good luck with finding your way with your sound by the way:D

"Can I ask you guys, I've been thinking of getting another guitar and was thinking about maybe getting one of the artist models, do you think I should or just get something else and customize it?."

Well, knowing you're partial to Strats, I will say that some of the Fender "Artist" Strats are IMHO very well made. Both the Eric Johnson and Buddy Guy Strats Absolutely smoke in their stock condition (with the usual bit about most new guitars still needing a good set up.)

Personally though, I really like the Joe Strummer Tele. They really balance authentic look and detailing with a superior quality playing guitar. Plus it looks cooler than all...

Also, last week I was in my local shop looking around for a new guitar, and I was really impressed by the Epiphone copy of the Joe Perry Les Paul. For an Epiphone, it was super high quality (though I've also heard people say the Gibson version is one of the best guitars they make.) Plus, the one I played was exceptionally light for a Les Paul. I'm seriously considering getting it, and I've always really been a Fender player.

"10000000000x better than stock Epiphone hummbuckers."

Yep, Epi Humbuckers are awful. However, some of the newer models use actual Gibson Pickups (the higher end ones often even use Gibson Burstbuckers), so before you swap them out, make sure your's doesn't have the good ones.

"Can I ask you guys, I've been thinking of getting another guitar and was thinking about maybe getting one of the artist models, do you think I should or just get something else and customize it?."

Well, knowing you're partial to Strats, I will say that some of the Fender "Artist" Strats are IMHO very well made. Both the Eric Johnson and Buddy Guy Strats Absolutely smoke in their stock condition (with the usual bit about most new guitars still needing a good set up.)

Personally though, I really like the Joe Strummer Tele. They really balance authentic look and detailing with a superior quality playing guitar. Plus it looks cooler than all...

Also, last week I was in my local shop looking around for a new guitar, and I was really impressed by the Epiphone copy of the Joe Perry Les Paul. For an Epiphone, it was super high quality (though I've also heard people say the Gibson version is one of the best guitars they make.) Plus, the one I played was exceptionally light for a Les Paul. I'm seriously considering getting it, and I've always really been a Fender player.

As you know I've never been that into Teles but I love the Joe Strummer one, I've played LPs but I've never really been into them firstly because of thier weight and I guess I just am too used to Fender necks, in recent years I've heard a lot of people saying Gibson/Epiphones build quality is sliding but not sure how much truth there is to it.

I love my VG the I wish I had got a Sunburst one instead of black now though, and I wish they would do more colours too:D

"in recent years I've heard a lot of people saying Gibson/Epiphones build quality is sliding but not sure how much truth there is to it."

In my experience it varies a HUGE amount from model to model (and often from guitar to guitar). Some new Gibson/Epi guitars are really shoddy, but there are still some that are excellent. The big problem I've seen from new gibsons is that they consistantly come with absolutely horrid factory set-ups. (since I always give my new guitars a set up anyway, this isn't really a problem for me.)

Of course on a purely technical basis, all major guitar makers (except perhaps Rickenbacker) are more automated and mass production oriented than ever, so it could be said the quality of most new guitars is not on the level it used to be.

BTW- in my last post I forgot to mention the Voodoo Strat. Fender no longer produces them, but they are fairly common and their value is not much more than a new Strat. They have a really cool unique tone.

"in recent years I've heard a lot of people saying Gibson/Epiphones build quality is sliding but not sure how much truth there is to it."

In my experience it varies a HUGE amount from model to model (and often from guitar to guitar). Some new Gibson/Epi guitars are really shoddy, but there are still some that are excellent. The big problem I've seen from new gibsons is that they consistantly come with absolutely horrid factory set-ups. (since I always give my new guitars a set up anyway, this isn't really a problem for me.)

Of course on a purely technical basis, all major guitar makers (except perhaps Rickenbacker) are more automated and mass production oriented than ever, so it could be said the quality of most new guitars is not on the level it used to be.

BTW- in my last post I forgot to mention the Voodoo Strat. Fender no longer produces them, but they are fairly common and their value is not much more than a new Strat. They have a really cool unique tone.

I might check one out, never played one before but heard of them.

"Hmm...I played the alto saxophone for about 8 years; after high school it's been gathering dust in its case in the attic."

I played alto sax too. 5-6th grade band, then it went in the closet where to my knowledge it still lives. Over a decade ago now...

"Hmm...I played the alto saxophone for about 8 years; after high school it's been gathering dust in its case in the attic."

I played alto sax too. 5-6th grade band, then it went in the closet where to my knowledge it still lives. Over a decade ago now...

I loved playing the sax, especially since I was one of the better ones lol But it was hard to keep playing it after high school though because there was no 'band' for me to play in.

How sick would it be to have the red one that Bono uses on Kite?... omg..

That guitar is amazing. Too bad its Bono's :P It needs someone who can play it!

Seriously though Kite is one of U2s best songs from the last 10 years. Mainstream misses so much good music!

Line 6 is okay. I wouldn't buy Line 6 again.

"Line 6 is okay. I wouldn't buy Line 6 again"

Line 6 is more than ok. If it sucked half as bad as some people seem to think, it wouldn't be used by as many top notch pros that use it. Consider the following players, all of whom use Line 6 gear to a large extent:

-The Edge

-Matt Bellamy

-Ed O'Brien & Jonny Greenwood

-Jonny Buckland

Just for a start. All of these guys can afford any gear they want, and they choose line 6. Furthermore, as 99% of the sounds people post here trying to get are made by one of these guys, it's reasonable to recommend using gear similar(sp?) to what they actually use to make those sounds. Yes, the Multi FX units they make have some issues, but they're ok if you're just starting and want a fairly decent multi FX unit. Just my opinion...

That guitar is amazing. Too bad its Bono's :P It needs someone who can play it!

Seriously though Kite is one of U2s best songs from the last 10 years. Mainstream misses so much good music!

Line 6 is okay. I wouldn't buy Line 6 again.

Kite and Walk On are insane. Too bad i didn't get to hear any of them live at Valle Hovin Oslo 2005.:( I have all of their DVD's, and Kite is so powerful. And the finales at Slane Castle and Boston with Walk On likewise.

"Line 6 is okay. I wouldn't buy Line 6 again"

Line 6 is more than ok. If it sucked half as bad as some people seem to think, it wouldn't be used by as many top notch pros that use it. Consider the following players, all of whom use Line 6 gear to a large extent:

-The Edge

-Matt Bellamy

-Ed O'Brien & Jonny Greenwood

-Jonny Buckland

Just for a start. All of these guys can afford any gear they want, and they choose line 6. Furthermore, as 99% of the sounds people post here trying to get are made by one of these guys, it's reasonable to recommend using gear similar(sp?) to what they actually use to make those sounds. Yes, the Multi FX units they make have some issues, but they're ok if you're just starting and want a fairly decent multi FX unit. Just my opinion...

I don't have any Line 6 gear, I've heard mixed things but I've always regarded it as being pretty ok, so I guess you remembered me when you wrote 99% huh?:P

Instruments!

Wow! Everyone's got great equipment....:shocked2:

All I've got is:

- Squier Telecaster Custom - of which i painted the pickguard. It's a pretty good guitar for a cheap price.

SquierTelecasterCustomGuitar.jpg

- crappy little Peavey amp (saving up for a Fender Hot Rod :dozey:)

- Casio LK-43 keyboard (it doesn't even have weighted keys :cry:.... so I play it through my amp with the pedal... which sounds mildly better...)

- Boss Rv-3 Pedal

It's such a good pedal! Sounds absolutely lovely! I can see why Jonny has one.

My house isn't that big (nor is my amp) but the atmosphere that comes out this pedal is AMAZING! Feels like you're in a bloody concert hall!!!

BossRv-3Pedal-2.jpg

If $ wasn't an issue, I'd get more pedals, a WAY better amp, and a Fender Telecaster (probably Thinline).

I tried one out in the store and it was AMAZING! The neck was smooth like butter and so easy to play. And the sound was great - could go from twangy to roaring. *drools*

I've tried "Strats", but never really hit it off. I don't know...they're just too airy and whiney. I find that Tele's have more meat on them, physically and soundwise.

But it's all based on personal preference really.

*sigh* If only there wasn't the problem of $...... :sad:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! Keep playing! :cool:

The U2 Slane show was....how to put it...MIND BLOWING! I am so happy they released it on DVD because they caught their best show ever on DVD. The raw intensity in that show was brilliant. Especially During Kite, Streets and Walk On...actually to think of it the entire show. That show has helped me win over many nay sayers.

Line 6 is good for pedals and racks. Amps aren't as good though. Not for a nice clean sound you can get through a Fender or a Vox. They are more meaty and fat. Also the more you spend the better you get. Their stompsboxs aren't on par with Boss quality. But once you get into the Units, they are great. Their guitars can also be great.

Strats are great guitars. They are more of an American bluesy guitar though, when looking for a British Rock sound, look to the Tele's. I am going to get myself a nice '72 Thinline Tele before Xmas. Then my guitar set up will be pretty much set for variety.

ColdplayBirdsFly You got the right dreams. I suggest if you like pedals maybe pick up a Boss multi-effect unit. They are well worth the price you pay. You get An insane amount of pretty quality effects.

Thinline is the way to go. You also said you live in a fairly small place...so you may want to think twice about a Tube amp since they can belt very very loudly. I just recently bought a Fender Frontman 212 and its amazing. Plus its a little bit cheaper than a Hot Rod Devell. Its also great for stage preformances too since it can belt loudly too.

Those are a few suggestions to save you a bit of $ and still get great quality. Unfortunately I have no suggestion as to a cheaper Thinline...pay the $700 to get it.