✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your instruments

Square 4

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait Wait Wait......

He uses Teles? Why didnt someone tell me!!!!

The guy on the corner told me he player a fence post with no strings..........Why was I not informed.

Okay yeah that wasnt funny. My strat works pretty good to recreate Jonnys tones. I just need a delay pedal, Gonna test out the Boss DD-7 and the Line 6 John uses.

I can get a great CSC sound out of built in echo and my distortion though.

It's the same Black Thinline he's used as his main live guitar since the start of Twisted Logic. The pickguard has been replaced by a painted one. (as have the pickguards on the natural thinline and the Jazzmaster.) His Reissue Les Paul Deluxe is also painted, but in that case on the body of the guitar itself.

Wait Wait Wait......

He uses Teles? Why didnt someone tell me!!!!

The guy on the corner told me he player a fence post with no strings..........Why was I not informed.

Okay yeah that wasnt funny. My strat works pretty good to recreate Jonnys tones. I just need a delay pedal, Gonna test out the Boss DD-7 and the Line 6 John uses.

I can get a great CSC sound out of built in echo and my distortion though.

What do you use for distortion?, i use a Big Muff pi and Boss DS-2:D

Well I play around 10 instruments, but my main one is the violin. I have about 6 of them, all with amazing sound and quality, and I only play classical music on them.

Then there's the piano which I started before the violin(which was 9 years ago), and I play (or try to) any kind of music. And there's also my voice, which I can sing pop and now classical (as in opera).

The rest are just other popular instruments...you know...

I have a Boss MT-2. I didnt like it before my new amp. Now it sounds very mean...but thats about it, you cant really get a grunge type distortion. Im likely gonna look into more down the road.

6 Violins eh? Violins are your guitar i guess. HArder to play too. Kudos to you!

Jonny has two painted Tele's, a black one and a natural one, but they've both been around since Twisted Logic

To answer your question Lil' Miss, for distortion I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and MXR Micro Amp with the gain pushed to maximum, and the dirty side of my Fender Hotrod 2x12. (though the Bass player in my band has an old Russian Big Muff she doesn't use much, so I've been sort of nicking it lately, I really like the sound of it too...)

EDIT: I just realized that question was not really adressed to me. Oh well, if anyone wants my answer, you've got it...

I have the DD-5 and Line 6. The DD-5 is nothing special but it is a solid delay pedal. The DD-7 looks very intriguing. The Line6 is amazing. It does a lot and is easy to learn. I would suggest not using it as a your only delay, use it with a DD-5 or DD-7 if you can afford it.

Thats why Im on the fence. I also do not like tap delay. I want a MS input, since my timing is poor and i like more elaborate timing for delay.

So right now Im pondering the DL4 and DD-20. DL4 is proven DD-20 has serious potential.

What delay do you guys use, or hear is good.

I've got a line 6 delay, a boss delay pedal I hardly ever use (can't even remember the number at the moment, pretty sure it's a DD5 .), and just recently I got the Twin Pedal version of the old Roland Space Echo, which so far, I'm liking a great deal.

Apparently he got new pedals for the new album too. I pondered what is new to him?

His rack grows like a plant or a human. People think Jon's setup is complicated. Edge still uses his original Vox amps though. Those are pretty key to his sound. And the Bennie, his talent lives in that thing :P

One day I'll have a huge rig.....hopefully. And like 42 guitars....on tour. I'd love to see hsi guitar room at home....

"One day I'll have a huge rig.....hopefully. And like 42 guitars....on tour. I'd love to see hsi guitar room at home"

This photo of Edge in his guitar storage room in U2's Hanover Quay complex was from Q's "guitar heros" issue which profiled Edge

qscan3vn0.jpg.w300h413.jpg

In the article that went with it, U2, equipment manager estimated Edge had around 250 guitars in the studio:laugh3:

As I've stated before I'm not at all a fan of Coldplays music but after reading up on Jons effects on here I don't think his are particularly complicated, the Edge is a different matter, mine seem to keep growing now it's funny when I started guitar may years ago(after hating being forced to play piano) I always said to myself I would try and be a pretty clean player and I've ended up as a complete box stomper:laugh3:

I think I could make do with far less than 250 guitars if I was a player on his level!!, that said all of mine would be vintage apart from a VG Strat which since I've had I thinks a brilliant invention.

"As I've stated before I'm not at all a fan of Coldplays music but after reading up on Jons effects on here I don't think his are particularly complicated"

With his old effects set up, I'd agree. However, his new rig on the VLV tour is pretty complex. Not the most complex I've ever seen by any means though...

Jon is slowly becoming more complex. The VLV rig isnt simple by any means as stated above.

Edge has a lot of duplicates in his collection. Since U2 sometimes send ahead guitars to save time. As well he uses on average 12 guitars a night.

Edge is a tone freak. Anyone who knows guitars know that every guitar hold a different sound. He probably has a pedal to match every guitar too.

"Edge has a lot of duplicates in his collection"

One of the big reasons he takes so many guitars on the road is that every single guitar in his live rig has it's own dedicated backup.

A lot of professional players like to amass duplicates. If you find a vintage instrument you like (and you've got the money), it makes sense to grab as many as you can, in case anything happens to them.

Case in point, I read somewhere that U2 lost a lot of their instruments when their studio flooded in 2002.