✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your instruments

Square 4

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty I'm not saying the Teles a bad guitar that would be a foolish statement, just for me I'm not into the more twangy sound and honestly I don't like it too much astheticlly, some people say the Strat sounds too thin but in my opinion it's one of the most versatile guitars and if a different tone is needed then that's what effects are for :), are you getting a real '72? or a re issue?, must be costing a bit but I'm sure worth it, what gets me is the prices of Pre CBS Strats and Teles are just so obscene but Jags etc are pretty affordable.

It's comes down to a matter of taste as with many other things. I'm getting the reissue of course (like i could afford a real '72 if it even EXISTED as lefty :D). The japanese reissue is quite good actually. But no hurry, as i think my gibson hummingbird will give me a lot of joy when it arrives sometime next week.

The Martin OMC-15E is also tempting (the one you see chris use in shiver, AROBTTH ++ on the live 2003 dvd). There's just something about that mahogany guitar :rolleyes:

It's comes down to a matter of taste as with many other things. I'm getting the reissue of course (like i could afford a real '72 if it even EXISTED as lefty :D). The japanese reissue is quite good actually. But no hurry, as i think my gibson hummingbird will give me a lot of joy when it arrives sometime next week.

The Martin OMC-15E is also tempting (the one you see chris use in shiver, AROBTTH ++ on the live 2003 dvd). There's just something about that mahogany guitar :rolleyes:

Your right about taste, everyones different if we wern't it would make for a boring world :), to me the most beautiful guitar is an Olympic white Strat, I hope you enjoy your new Tele when it comes, it's such a lovely feeling getting an instrument you've lusted after for ages.

As someone above said, the choice of a guitar comes down to personal taste, and whether or not the guitar tonaly fits the type of music you intend to play on it. For example, I love the tone of Gretsch guitars, but they simply don't sound right for what my current band plays. I like teles becuase they are practical (lightweight, easy to maintain), sound good for what I play, are relatively inexpensive, and I like the neck profile. IMHO way too many people let themselves be swaywed by what guitar a certain famous player uses, or what the "should" play in their given genre, or even what guitar looks "cool" as opposed to what they are actually comfortable playing...

Sometimes, people tend to buy guitars that are also used by their favourite artists. The key thing is to buy a model that fits your personal tastes. There are several models from different brands that enable you to have the Coldplay sound for example. It is just a question of effects.

Your right about taste, everyones different if we wern't it would make for a boring world :), to me the most beautiful guitar is an Olympic white Strat, I hope you enjoy your new Tele when it comes, it's such a lovely feeling getting an instrument you've lusted after for ages.

I couldn't agree more :). Who knew a painted wooden plank with some wound steel cold bring so much joy :D

I am aiming to buy a telecaster Walnut finish or black finish at the end of next year, when I have played for two years!

Dorffy how long have you been playing for?

I've been playing for a little over two and a half years. When i first picked up my uncle's steel string acoustic i couldn't put it down :rolleyes:, and now i have four guitars. I see a future with alot of expences :P (and alot of joy!)

As someone above said, the choice of a guitar comes down to personal taste, and whether or not the guitar tonaly fits the type of music you intend to play on it. For example, I love the tone of Gretsch guitars, but they simply don't sound right for what my current band plays. I like teles becuase they are practical (lightweight, easy to maintain), sound good for what I play, are relatively inexpensive, and I like the neck profile. IMHO way too many people let themselves be swaywed by what guitar a certain famous player uses, or what the "should" play in their given genre, or even what guitar looks "cool" as opposed to what they are actually comfortable playing...

I've played quite a few different guitars but the ones I've bought have always been the ones perfect for me, I've tried a Tele but I personally didn't like the feel of the neck on it and found it too twangy for my style, also I don't know if any other Tele players have found this but do any of you find them a little uncomfortable shape wise?, apart from the difference in tone I found a Strat much more comfortable to play and it still has the bonus of been lightweight which is a must for me as I'm not the strongest person, I've tried a LP and 335 but didn't really like either so I settled with what I like to play the most, luckily it's pretty much the most used guitar that my 2 favourite players use anyway so it worked out well :)

The fender telecaster is great for playing coldplay. Of course the humbucker thinline is preferable, but the standard is a great compromise. If you've got a tele(not squire), a unit that gives you distortion/reverb/delay and a fender amp, then you've come a long way.

btw, i'm getting the jap fender thinline '72 in natural for christmas for sure. Beautiful instrument, and their necks are awesome.

the squire thinline isn't as bad as you would think (being a squire)...its probably the one exception from them....and its not just because i own one but also because there are numerous positive reviews on it

Okay, so after i posted my comment yesterday, i found out about the Squire Telecaster thinline, its seems to me that they are quite similar, however, what do you guys reckon? I don't have tonnes of money to get a Fender Telecaster, so will i lose out a whole lot if I was to purchase the Squire Tele?

One guitarist on youtube said he's been playing for 30 years and its the best guitar he's had.

To parts to this post

Part the first:

"I've played quite a few different guitars but the ones I've bought have always been the ones perfect for me, I've tried a Tele but I personally didn't like the feel of the neck on it and found it too twangy for my style, also I don't know if any other Tele players have found this but do any of you find them a little uncomfortable shape wise?, apart from the difference in tone I found a Strat much more comfortable to play and it still has the bonus of been lightweight which is a must for me as I'm not the strongest person, I've tried a LP and 335 but didn't really like either"

I actually find the shape of the Tele easier to work with as opposed to the Strat. Perhaps it's the way I like to hold my guitar (perfectly horizontal as opposed to the more common diagonal stance), but the Strat always seems to hang out and away from my body more than I would like.

I do agree with you on lightness however, I can't stand heavy guitars (do to a combination of shortness and general weakness.)

Part the second:

Yellowtalk,

I have never personally played a squier Thinline, nor known anyone who does, but ALL of the squires I've ever played had problems with craftsmanship or tuning or electronics or something...:thinking: That said, my advice would be to find a guitar shop where you can inspect and try out both. Then and only then can you properly decide which instrument fits your personal playing needs and situation. A LOT of people I known who bought Squires have had to sink large amounts of money into after market mods to get them playable on the level they wanted, so at that point the savings on Squire vs MIM Fender (I think thats where all reissue thinlines come from now) is essentially burned through. On the other hand, most of the players I know are also gigging regularly, so if you just want a guitar for personal home use, your standard of acceptable quality may be somewhat lower.

Part the second:

Yellowtalk,

I have never personally played a squier Thinline, nor known anyone who does, but ALL of the squires I've ever played had problems with craftsmanship or tuning or electronics or something...:thinking: That said, my advice would be to find a guitar shop where you can inspect and try out both. Then and only then can you properly decide which instrument fits your personal playing needs and situation. A LOT of people I known who bought Squires have had to sink large amounts of money into after market mods to get them playable on the level they wanted, so at that point the savings on Squire vs MIM Fender (I think thats where all reissue thinlines come from now) is essentially burned through. On the other hand, most of the players I know are also gigging regularly, so if you just want a guitar for personal home use, your standard of acceptable quality may be somewhat lower.

The standard series of the Squier are bad, not even official Fender parts on it!

But the Vintage Modified series, with the Thinline in it are good, very good.

They use real Fender parts and have higher ratings then the Fender Thinline!

My Jazz Bass is also from that series and is amazing!

The only problem is that it produce alot of noise.. There are a few ways to remove it.

The Vintage Modified series are better then the Fender classis series.

And they are also better then the Mexican Fenders.

When I was to the store, I had planned to buy a good Fender Jazz Bass few years ago.

I saw this JazzBass and wanted to try it.. It looks soo great!

I had already tried some Fender Jazzbasses and after I played this Squier.. It is magic.. the best bass I played my whole life.

I still wan't another Bass.

I wan't the: American Vintage ‘62 Precision Bass

And the American Standard Precision Bass red color.

Indeed, both that Guy have! :cool:

I actually find the shape of the Tele easier to work with as opposed to the Strat. Perhaps it's the way I like to hold my guitar (perfectly horizontal as opposed to the more common diagonal stance), but the Strat always seems to hang out and away from my body more than I would like.

I do agree with you on lightness however, I can't stand heavy guitars (do to a combination of shortness and general weakness.)

It's hard to explain really I just found the Tele a bit uncomfortable shape wise, I think mainly it comes down to what style you play and what tones you need to get from your guitar, I have one of the new VG Strats so I can make it sound like a Tele if needed and I have played around with it in Tele mode+ the humbucker mode is useful for when I want to play heavier, I think Teles are beautiful instruments thier just not for me :)

"Indeed, both that Guy have!"

Except that Guy's P-Bass is a vintage one from the 70's. I think in that era the fretboards were made of rosewood.

Also, the real issue with reissue thinlines (Squier or Fender) is that the Pickups are NOT actually wide range pickups, and thus the sound of the instrument is "off" when compared to the originals.

Okay, so after i posted my comment yesterday, i found out about the Squire Telecaster thinline, its seems to me that they are quite similar, however, what do you guys reckon? I don't have tonnes of money to get a Fender Telecaster, so will i lose out a whole lot if I was to purchase the Squire Tele?

One guitarist on youtube said he's been playing for 30 years and its the best guitar he's had.

The squier thinlines got surprisingly good reviews, but they are still made primarily of the same parts and things as cheaper squiers. At one point I was actually thinking of getting oneof those but A. hated that none of them came with maple necks and B. felt that it would be a much better investment to shoot for a standard fender considering there's only about $100 between them.

If it's a first guitar for a beginner then a stratpak or a $200 non-affinity squier would be a good deal. But if you're going to pay $300 dollars(or whatever it is in pounds) for a squier thinline, you might as well get the security and duration of a straight-up fender for $400.

Agreed. Not sure about prices outside the U.S., but I've been looking around, and the Squier Thinlines are high end for Squier, while the Fender MIM thinlines are relatively cheap within Fender's price structure. With the discounts offered on MRSP by a lot of dealers, the price difference would probably end up very small.

Yeah the YPG-625 and the DGX-620 are the same :) It's really good. The piano sound is amazing. The drum sounds are really good too, so if I ever record a song and want some decent drum sounds and can record those over the top too. I like the 80s style brass-synth voices too - very cool.

"The '70 basses are not on the Fender site and I think that they're rare"

Fender doesn't sell vintage instruments themselves. You have to buy them secondhand. I think the going rate for a vintage 70's P-Bass is about $5000-6000 U.S.

That's nothing. The local guitar shop by me had a 1965 Fender P-Bass in a Red Sparkle finish (supposedly it's a rare trade show bass that was never mass produced.) When I was in the other day, some guy was buying it for $25,000!

Vintage guitars are expensive, even Vintage Thinlines like Jonny plays cost upward of $5000