✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

26-Oct-08: East Rutherford, NJ (1st night) - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Preaching to the choir! If it weren't for this place, I'd think I was weird.;):P

And don't worry, I won't be the only one excited about not even a Phil sighting, PHIL CONTACT!:laugh3:(you should post your story in the PHIL IS HOT thread)

I know, though I don't post often I've been on this site for a while and it makes my insanity seem like sanity. Everyone in my life thinks I'm a total nut.

Oh, good idea about posting my story there. Phil is smokin!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely cute. Total baby face. And just seemed super sweet even in those brief moments. I can't believe I actually heard his voice. I really wish I had the you-know-what to strike up a conversation with him, but alas, I'm a chicken.....

CookyMnstr, yes, I was so stinking excited about talking to Phil so thanks for being excited with me. When i told my husband and friends, I got a rousing sound of crickets. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS BUT YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I quoted you into the Phil is Hot thread in the Coldplay section. :D

hey! for everyone that went to the concert last night, i was wondering how tight they were with camera security or just checking the bags in general.

i was going to put my camera at the bottom of my bag and put a sweater and then my wallet, cell ect. over it. it's a larger camera though. i haven't invested in a smaller one yet lol

do you think they will dig through my bag or just skim over it?

You'll be fine. They hardly check. Just don't keep it in plain view.

My wife and I went to the show last night. Our original seats were section 241 row 24. Some guy came up to us and started asking us questions and tells us he works for the band. Asked us to sing fix you so we did and he gave us front row tickets. It was one of the most amazing things to ever happen to us. It was special because the tickets were an anniversary gift for my wife. I wish I would have asked him for his name but we were both in shock. It was a great show.

My wife and I went to the show last night. Our original seats were section 241 row 24. Some guy came up to us and started asking us questions and tells us he works for the band. Asked us to sing fix you so we did and he gave us front row tickets. It was one of the most amazing things to ever happen to us. It was special because the tickets were an anniversary gift for my wife. I wish I would have asked him for his name but we were both in shock. It was a great show.

Thanks so funny, I think me and the other 2 oxfam volunteers I was hanging out with ended up with those tickets. The other girl I was with, Diana, says that Garth Brooks does something similar and gives a pick-up truck to a lucky fan too. I'm so glad that some of the lucky fans shared their experiences here.

yay! you met Roadie 42 :D congratulations!

Coldplay @ the Izod Center (night 1), NJ - pics

Of all things to do yesterday/Sunday (October 26), the day after he got no sleep for 5 straight CMJ days in a row, Kyle went to NJ to see/shoot Coldplay who were playing their first of two shows in a row at the venue formerly known as Continental Airlines Arena.

Coldplay also performed in NYC during CMJ - a private TV show taping - at Hammerstein Ballroom. Their last, semi-proper NYC show was the free one they did at MSG.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/10/coldplay_the_iz.html

vegan1.jpg

vegan2.jpg

vegan3.jpg

vegan4.jpg

vegan5.jpg

^Great photos :wideeyed:

Coldplay conquers Izod

large_martin.jpg

Before playing harmonica on "Death Will Never Conquer," Sunday night at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin apologized. "You paid good money to hear someone play an instrument very badly," he said. Then he proceeded to play it perfectly well.

It was still a sharp move to apologize. Coldplay is one of the popular rock bands in the world, and Martin's lyrics sometimes seem self-absorbed, so anything he can do to make himself and the band appear down-to-earth works in his favor.

Martin literally dropped to his knees when thanking the crowd for coming, toward the end of the evening. And "Death Will Never Conquer" was part of a segment (also including "The Scientist") where the band ventured into section 104 of the arena -- located a long way from the stage -- and played there. They stood shoulder-to-shoulder, as they did in another part of the show that took place on a small stage at the end of a ramp that extended onto the arena floor.

Throughout the show, the British quartet, which was also scheduled to perform at the arena last night, mixed loud, aggressive rock with ethereal ballads. It's no wonder the band describes its music, on its official MySpace page, as "very heavy soft rock."

Two of the most explosive numbers came from the band's June album, "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends." On the soaring "Viva la Vida," Will Champion stepped out from behind his drum kit to pound on a huge bass drum, and the crowd sang along enthusiastically. For "Lovers in Japan," which has an upbeat, celebratory vibe, thousands of glow-in-the-dark, butterfly-shaped pieces of confetti dropped from the rafters.

Among the other new songs, "Strawberry Swing" had a lighter, almost lilting feel, while "42" and "Cemeteries of London" were darker in tone. Both these songs also had some perfect-for-Halloween-season lyrics.

"Those who are dead are not dead/They're just living in my head," sang Martin in the former, while the latter was full of lines like: "We rode down to the river/Where Victorian ghosts pray/For their curses to be broken."

This show rarely stayed gloomy for long. Martin is too much of a crowd-pleaser for that: he bounced around the stage all evening, pumping up the capacity crowd. And while his bandmates (guitarist Jonny Buckland and bassist Guy Berryman, in addition to Champion) seemed happy to let him be the focus of attention, they did generate a big, propulsive wall of sound on songs like "Life in Technicolor," "Chinese Sleep Chant" and "Politik." Lasers and videos (sometimes projected onto six huge balls hovering over the stage and the crowd) made the show into a spectacle.

These guys aren't the most original musicians in the world. Martin sometimes seems like a more pop-friendly version of Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Buckland borrows too many of his guitar riffs from U2's The Edge, and Berryman and Champion do their respective jobs with little flash. Yet over the course of their four albums they have generated lots of memorable songs.

Derivative or not, they have managed to put together a nearly two-hour show that is devoid of dull spots. Except, maybe, for the lull that came when they were returning from section 104.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2008/10/coldplay_conquers_izod.html