✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

26-Oct-08: East Rutherford, NJ (1st night) - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sitting g in thecar trying to make ourway out of this place

Anything I say will never come remotely close to what tonight was... Absolute best show I've been to. Surreal.JUST AMAZING. I can't get over it. Will post pictures and review when I get home....

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS!!

First off setlist:

Life in Technicolour

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed of Sound

Cemeteries of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

----

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (B)

Talk Remix (B)

Postcards from Far Awar (B)

----

Viva la Vida

Lost!

----

The Scientist ©

DWNC ©

(Viva la Vida Remix)

----

Politik

Lovers in Japan

Death and All His Friends

----

Yellow

(The Escapist)

Just got back and oh my GOD, it was amazing. I got seats on eBay at the last minute (Sec 110, row 3!!!!) Gave the original tix I had bought to my mom and dad and they had a great time. My sister and I will have vids and pics for you as soon as she finds the wire to the camera :laugh3:

I cannot believe my luck tonight, I waited around for a bit after the show and yelled Matt's name like 20 times (Jonny's guitar tech) He finally noticed and gave me JONNY'S SETLIST . I'll try to write a proper review when I stop shaking :o

Review Part 1

YAY!! omg just got back. it was amazing. right now I'm a little upset because I failed at getting Will's drum sticks :cry:

but anyway, my sister (ohmystarisfading) bought the tickets on ebay literally 2 hours before we had to leave. and the seats were AMAZING!! Section 110 Third row, right next to the runway. I got a lot of good Jonny pics, but didn't really get any good Will pics, which is what I wanted.. they seriously need to move Will to the front of the stage !! I could barely see him!:cry:

We got there at atbout 7:15-7:30. I was shocked when we were walking down to our seats, we were so close it was crazy. We kept seeing a bunch of roadies doing different things on the stage and under the stage, and just walking all around. Me and my sister kept wondering which one was Roadie 42.

At almost exactly 8:00, Duffy started playing. She had barely started singing the first song, when I saw GUY BERRYMAN!!! He came and stood directly in front of us. He was leaning against the stage watching Duffy, and moving his head to the beat. It took a while to register in my head, but when I saw the scruffly beard and hoop earring, I said to my sister "OMG that's guy berryman"... at first she thought that he was too short to be guy berryman, but then she saw the earring.

He was wearing a short sleeved gray v-neck t-shirt. and he looked adorable. He only stayed for the first duffy song and then left.

oh. my. GOD.

that was the best night of my life.

i orignially had the most crap seats in the stadium, literally. but the nice man next to me...pointed out none other than ROADIE 42...and convinced me to ask one of his helpers for tickets. so i worked up my courage and went to ask him. i said "erm, are you by any chance giving ticket upgrades?" and the helper man (a camera guy) said "well that depends. how big of a coldplay fan are you?" and i went ":dozey:" and he was like "right. you can have them."

and i sobbed. literally. :bigcry:

i was SECOND ROW. and none other than justin (wingwl) was next to me!!! what a coincidence!!

and gwyneth and her mom, blythe, came in on the side! she's so freaking beautiful and adorable. they were dancing to jay-z over the PA before the guys even came out, just sooo beautiful.

the show. was. incredible. the camera guy recognized me right in front and smiled at me a lot (and filmed me...i hope that doesn't turn up anywhere :lol:), and after the show was over and the lights came up, he jumped down and tapped me on the shoulder and gave me the setlist! i hugged him. he was the nicest man in the world.

the showwww...lovers in japan was my all time favorite, but everything was flawless. chris wore an obama armband and had a lot of "joe the plumber" jokes, and changed "osaka sun" to "obama sun."

prospekts march was on the setlist, but it didn't get played :sad:

more later when i'm more coherent and less adrenaline-ized, along with photos and HD videos!!!!

home!!!

thank goodness ohmystarisfading (sorry dont know your name :P) gave you the setlist cuz i couldnt tell you wth was played at this moment.

like i said before the sign thing was a bust. im so sorry im such a scaredycat guys, but the lady really made it sound like wed get in trouble if we tried and ididnt wanna risk getting kicked out or something.i really hope you have better luck tomorrow!

Duffy is just about the cutest thing ever. dont remember who posted it here but yes its true she does sound like minnie mouse haha, and her music is great. after every song she went "How you doin?!" bassist looked pretty good too =]

like i said before we were maybe 40 ft away from jonnys runway... i almost lost my head when chris went on there for in my place. i didnt think i would ever be so close to him again.

and then they came running by for their acoustic set.

;ALKDJFAFADLA;KJDF

we were like 6 people away from the aisle that they ran in... i saw them each for a split second. those boys can RUN. and i yelled especially high pitched-ly when i saw Guy.... :heart::heart::heart:

random bits that have stuck out in my mind and that i can currently recall (in no order whatsoever):

-Chris calling Will Joe the Plummer during their acoustic set

-During the Hardest Part, on the B stage, chris messed up the words... stops abruptly and goes "Have i fucked up the lyrics?" or something like that haha... andrea and i yell out YES!!!!

-POLITIK. UN.BE.LIEV.A.BLE. i'd heard it live once before but this was just so intense...

-OMG hearing Guy really really well for the first time on CSC. SO. HOT. is it just me or did he use an effect on his mic? sounded so cool

-"Tonight, baby we're gonna run... dreaming... under the OBAMA SUNNNNN!"

-anddddd LiJ is probably one of the most incredible moments in my life. at one point the butterflies were literally hitting me (ever so lightly) in the face and Chris singing and amazing Jonny playing and i took it all in at once... i couldve cried!

i stuck the first 2 i caught in my shirt and grabbed a few more from the air. stuffed them in my bag really quickly when the song was over. and after the show we went through the rows and scooped up the ones that had fallen on the chairs. we put them in our VIVA tote bags ^_^.

now throughout the entire show i was SHAKING... not sure why, i mean i was ridiculously excited but you'd think i'd calm down after like a half hour. but no, all my pictures are blurred because i couldnt keep my freakin hands still. and cuz my camera sucks.

didnt take any video because in my experience, all i hear in my videos is me screaming lol. my friend took some, and if she got some really good ones ill put em on here. ditto for pics.

lets see... i think thats it =]

i hope everyone else that went had a GREAT time, im sooo happy for Chelsea that mustve been an incredible experience! and from #42 himself!! lucky gallll

alright alright loves, im gonna spend the next few minutes going through photos and seeing if i got ANY good ones... ill be on here tomorrow as usual =]

GOOD NIGHT!

Review Part 2

so after Guy left, I had no choice but to watch Duffy. She was good, but I didn't really know any of the songs.

After she finished, the equipment was changed.. and then we just waited for a while. About 5 minutes before the concert started, there was a burst of cheers and applause directly across from where we were sitting. It was Gywneth and her mom Blythe Danner (both of them totally rocked out through the entire show, a lot of dancing)

After they came out, the lights went down.... and the roadies started shining their flash lights and break dancing.. it was very cute. After a couple of random songs being played.....

Life in technicolor started. They were amazing as usual. my sister already posted the setlist and I'm sure she'll write a much more detailed review, so I'm going to go to bed. but overall great night... still sad that I didn't get Will's drumsticks though. hopefully next time.....

his music and the band are very liberal in nature....i thought everyone knew that already.....that what being a musician brings with the territory...like bruce springsteen, u2, beatles,....this isnt new dude

My best amazing moment of the show is when Chris came near to us while they are playing Scientist he said that there are a incredible crowd on the roof there looking in our direction.

And also during Fix you and viva la vida he said that our singing is great.

This show is fucking great and amazing.

Chris said a joke about Ohio drainage problems.That made me just laugh like anything.

He said that we're a band from not so famous country.:laugh3:And he introduced Will Champion during DWNC that he is 19 years old.:laugh3:

Any way a lot of jokes Chris made.:)And also he loved the crowd here and said we're incredible and great.

And also he said New Jersey as coolest place during Politik.

He changed the lyrics to "playing Sunday night in a coolest place like this".

Chris looked me again during Viva la vida and some times not properly say when but i know that he is looking at me.He saw me smiling and dancing and waving and singing.:kiss::)

Setlist is regular no changes.

But all over amazing show.

Life in technicolor

Violet hill(beautiful)

Clocks(amazing i danced a lot during Clocks)

In my place(Chris complemented the crowd that we are amazing and incredible)

Speed of sound

Cemeteries of London

Chinese Sleep chant

Fix you

Strawberry swing

b stage

God put a smile upon your face

Talk

Hardest part

Post cards from far away

Viva la vida

Lost

Scientist(Acoustic)

DWNC(will's singing)

Viva la vida remix

encore

Politik

Lovers in japan

Death and all his friends

encore

Yellow

Escapist

I'll post my pictures soon.:)None of the people are allowed to get their cameras in not even food to take in.:)But i took photos with my hubby's cellphone.

oh. my. GOD.

i orignially had the most crap seats in the stadium, literally. but the nice man next to me...pointed out none other than ROADIE 42...and convinced me to ask one of his helpers for tickets. so i worked up my courage and went to ask him. i said "erm, are you by any chance giving ticket upgrades?" and the helper man (a camera guy) said "well that depends. how big of a coldplay fan are you?" and i went ":dozey:" and he was like "right. you can have them."

i was SECOND ROW. and none other than justin (wingwl) was next to me!!! what a coincidence!!

and gwyneth and her mom, blythe, came in on the side! she's so freaking beautiful and adorable. they were dancing to jay-z over the PA before the guys even came out, just sooo beautiful.

the show. was. incredible. the camera guy recognized me right in front and smiled at me a lot (and filmed me...i hope that doesn't turn up anywhere :lol:), and after the show was over and the lights came up, he jumped down and tapped me on the shoulder and gave me the setlist! i hugged him. he was the nicest man in the world.

the showwww...lovers in japan was my all time favorite, but everything was flawless. chris wore an obama armband and had a lot of "joe the plumber" jokes, and changed "osaka sun" to "obama sun."

more later when i'm more coherent and less adrenaline-ized, along with photos and HD videos!!!!

That's the greatest concert story I ever heard:stunned:

oh. my. GOD.

CONGRATS ON THE SEAT UPGRADE!!!:D:D:D (i know exactly what the feeling is like, i was upgraded at MSG.. i almost cried too!:P)

Sounds like an amazing night that everyone had!!!:) I'm so upset that the band is really within a 20 mile radius of me and I'M NOT SEEING THEM!:\ Can't wait for amazing pics!

Wow that was amazing! I think they officially went on stage around 9:15 or so.

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when I heard "Obama sun", that was funny. Being my first concert I had an absolutely amazing time! I was happy that they came out at the end and performed Yellow. :D I didn't hear the Escapist, but maybe I wasn't listening hard enough because I was having too much fun... or because I don't think I've heard that one before. :)

I'll post some of my photos taken with my iPhone later on. I had such a great time, I even picked up some butterfly confetti on the way out! :lol:

Here's one photo from the bunch I snapped: Photo 1 I was all the way in section 233, but I had a great view! :)

"A sunday audience in a place like this!" - or something along those lines, hehe.

so i just got home about 10 mins ago. NJ Transit really needs to figure out this system because waiting around (both going there and back was hell). its ok - i missed part of duffys set and wasnt too terribly disappointed. talked with a guy from oxfam for a bit who was quite nice. we discussed the merits of CMJ and volunteering at other oxfam shows.

went down to find my seat and wasnt too disappointed. floor seats section 6, i think. i kinda knew what to expect and had on platforms. i felt sorry for the kid behind me, but we were on the aisle and he must have only been 5, so not much i could do.

around 9:10 or so gwyneth came in and all i saw were flash bulbs. it was rather surreal. i cant say i envy her for even a minute with that kind of insanity.

from the minute life in technicolor started the crowd started going nuts. i found violet hill an odd choice to be opening with but the song itself is great. it seemed to go by in blur and way too fast because when i looked at my watch and it said 10:20 I nearly cried.

the highlights for me were Chinese Sleep Chant (my favorite song off this album) and Strawberry Swing. I was so excited to hear CSC and the guy I was with and I were going nuts. So much jumping around and dancing. Around this time he said to me, I know this is an awesome show because I have goosebumps. It was a good thing this was a Coldplay show or I might have molested him at that very moment. The song was so beautiful, and for whatever reason it always makes me teary eyed. So beautiful. I loved hearing the mix of songs (minus Parachutes songs) and thought it was a great mix. Viva la Vida had the crowd going nuts and it was great to hear everyone singing along.

And nothing will ever be more beautiful than Lovers in Japan. The confetti coming down during that song, just added to it, making the whole song just perfect with the butterflies. I was covered in them and have so much confetti its a bit ridiculous.

All I can say is that since coming home from Paris, seeing more shows than I thought possible at CMJ and then coming to this - all within a weeks span - it couldnt have been a more perfect way to end it all. It might have been one of the best shows Ive seen this year and after seeing Of Montreal Im not sure I thought it was even possible. Chris sounded better than ever. Im now figuring out if I can find a way to see them tomorrow.

The second best part of the show - after having a hard time selling my ticket I found some guy who wanted it. He kept emailing me and was concerned about me forgetting about him while in Paris. But finally we met up on Saturday night and I sold him the ticket. its hard to judge someone on a mere 'hello, heres your money', and I didnt know what to expect. My CL posting only stated that I wanted it to go to a huge fan, but i was desperate so I didnt care much. Turns out - after talking a bit during Duffy and before Coldplay its his favorite band. So he turned out to be the best company and was as excited as I was. We were both jumping around, singing along, taking pics and dancing like lunatics. it didnt hurt that he was adorable and we had so much in common. perhaps a date or something will come of it.

So yeah --- one of my best nights in a long, long time! and seeing the delacroix painting in person is surreal!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

:D:D:D FANFUCKINGTASTIC:D:D:D

So I said I wouldn't take pics, but I couldnt help it & tried w/ my cell (not good!) but my friend took a few, here you go...

2977539316_3f4b7b467b.jpg?v=0

2977540206_e48747a094.jpg?v=0

2976683337_93cfdaa0e3.jpg?v=0

2976683773_9b608389a5.jpg?v=0

2977541926_647022957a.jpg?v=0

2977537802_9d335b85d0.jpg

(will be back in a bit with my review--DON'T WORRY, I'm not going crazy like the other day, that's why I wanna think of something concise! LOL)

Okay, I'm ready to write an actual review now :)

After finding our seats (OMG so close) my sister and I pretty much played "Name that Roadie". We really only recognized Matt, Hoppy and Bash but had a fun time trying to guess which one was Roadie #42. Also saw Vicki about 10 mins before showtime bringing white mugs to the stage (one for Will and I think one for Chris, dunno what was in them though)

During Duffy's performance we saw Guy near Jonny's ramp (which was directly in front of us) bobbing his head along to the music and looking adorable. Here's a few pics (He's the one wearing a light gray t-shirt):

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Duffy was very sweet and said that this was the largest audience she's ever played and how happy she was to be opening for Coldplay. She really gave an all around great performance.

Duffy finished with Mercy and the lights came back up for a few minutes so that the Roadies could move everything around. There was some sort of flashlight twirling and breakdancing and lots of encouragement from the crowd as they showed off their dance skills :laugh3: Also saw Gwyn as a few other's mentioned, people actually left their seats to take pictures of her I felt kind of bad for her (Then I remembered she's married to Chris Martin, ha).

Saw the boys from the side of the curtain as they picked up their instruments for LiT, Jonny wore his blue shirt!! (yay). I'm not going to go over every song but a few that really stood out for me were:

Clocks: I really will never get sick of hearing this song, especially live. Just incredible and the lights/lasers are amazing.

Cemeteries of London: First time hearing this live, I even avoided Youtube vids of it so hearing it tonight, especially since it's one of my favorites off VLV, was definitely a highlight.

42: This song is just a masterpiece and seeing Jonny rock out was awesome.

Hardest Part: Just Chris, the piano and a spotlight but it was breathtaking (even with the messed lyrics).

Lost: Great song on it's own but watching Will during this was just so wonderful, I felt bad for those poor drums when he was done.

The last 4 songs were perfect, some of Coldplay's most amazing songs one right after the other starting with Politik and finishing it off with Yellow (and of course butterfly confetti and group singing sandwiched in the middle)

After mostly everyone in our section had gone I spotted Matt, he was giving a few guitar picks to some fans in Sec 111, I kept calling his name and was sure he didn't hear me and was about to leave but he came back down from the stage with the setlist and handed it right to me :D.

IMG_0667-1-1.jpg

The show went by in a flash but it was so amazing while it lasted. Coldplay continue to amaze me every time I see them live. I cannot wait to see them again!

Uploading the videos is going to take a long time as I took quite a few and YouTube is slowwww, I'll post a link when I have them all done.