✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Dec-08 - Manchester, MEN Arena - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

:shocked2: :dance: what a gig, I've just got back home now and my voice is absolutely shreaded :laugh3:

Chris's voice blew me away once again! On '42' he really bigged the last note up by pausing and as he seemed to be running out of breath he said "this is a massive note" and then bellowed out the last note, gave me goosebumps! :D

The lazers during 'Clocks' were amazing, the techno versions of 'God Put A Smile...' and 'Talk' were amazing and the acoustic section at the back of the arena was fantastic aswell. 'Green Eyes' was amazing I was so made up it was in the set tonight :D Also loved Will's singing on 'Death Will Never Conquer' :D

I loved the way Chris got the crowd going by getting Guy's side of the arena to scream and go mad and then Jonny's side of the arena to scream. I was on Guy's side of the arena and was going nuts hahahaha

'Fix You' was simply awesome, so powerful and was probably the highlight of the night not forgetting 'Viva La Vida' with everyone singing the end bit!

Only negative was I thought 'Lost' sounded abit well, lost. It just sounded off tonight for some reason couldn't put my finger on what it was but apart from that the whole set was mind blowingly amazing!

I took some vids so I'll upload them tomorrow but I wasn't that close to the stage but I'll upload them anyway. I'm off to drink something my throat is absolutely nackered :laugh3:

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooooooo where to start?

Once upon a time, there was a boy who asked a girl to go to a concert with him. She had never heard of this band called Coldplay so she agreed to go to keep him company. The show opened with a very noisy, bangy song called Politik and she wondered what on earth she had gotten herself into, although the bass player in front of her was quite cute…………….

That sounds like a romantic story....... :love:

Think it might take a bit long if I start in 2002, how about this? :D

It was absolutely tipping it down, the motorway was snarled up in rush hour traffic, and there had been an accident. They thought they would never make it to the show. Luckily, the band had realised the weather conditions had delayed below so they started late……………………

Whaddya mean you don’t want to hear about 2005? :P

Maybe later......... now, talk woman!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ok, I'll behave now :D

Part 1

We took the tram into town, which was reasonably quiet. We had to change at Piccadilly Gardens, and the tram to Victoria Station was a lot busier. We got off at the station, and saw lots of police getting on to the tram which was going back the way we came. As we walked through the station we could hear lots of touts trying to sell tickets. Maybe it was my imagination, but they seemed a lot more desperate than usual. At the door, the MEN security guy hardly checked my bag. Not only did he miss the camera, he also missed the 2 bars of chocolate I'd bought to get change for the tram (I'm sensible :D , I went to the shop for change, Ian went to the pub at the tram station and bought a half of Guinness :rolleyes:)

Having got into the Arena, we had to fight our way past the queue at the bar near the entrance (why do so many people immediately queue at the first bar they see? :confused: ). We headed in the general direction of our block as the MErch stand is in that direction, and stumbled across the Oxfam stall. There was no Pete there, so we stopped to chat to one of the lovely volunteers and sign up (Thanks for the mention Pete :kiss:). We then headed for the bar, and stopped to have a drink. Whilst we were having a drink, another lovely Oxfam volunteer stopped to chat. With about half an hour til show time, we headed to the Merch stand to see what we could buy. I'm very tempted by the pink skinny rib, and may well have to purchase tomorrow.

Merch stand well browsed, we mooched back out to the Oxfam stall, but still no Pete, so we decided to go and take our seats. Was overjoyed to see we were closer to the b stage than I had imagined. We sat down and had a good look around the arena, working out where the acoustic would be, and fascinated by the roadies dangling from the ceiling. There was a hole in the side of the stage near us, and we could see lots of computer lights, so I came to the conclusion that it was probably #42's lair.

More to follow

i appear to have a 500 odd mb 11min video which starts with the crowd doing the oaahs from vlv to the band coming out and all of the encore. will upload it to youtube tomorrow, aint the best quality since i was pretty far back but its better than nowt

Ok, I'll behave now :D

Part 1

We took the tram into town, which was reasonably quiet. We had to change at Piccadilly Gardens, and the tram to Victoria Station was a lot busier. We got off at the station, and saw lots of police getting on to the tram which was going back the way we came. As we walked through the station we could hear lots of touts trying to sell tickets. Maybe it was my imagination, but they seemed a lot more desperate than usual. At the door, the MEN security guy hardly checked my bag. Not only did he miss the camera, he also missed the 2 bars of chocolate I'd bought to get change for the tram (I'm sensible :D , I went to the shop for change, Ian went to the pub at the tram station and bought a half of Guinness :rolleyes:)

Having got into the Arena, we had to fight our way past the queue at the bar near the entrance (why do so many people immediately queue at the first bar they see? :confused: ). We headed in the general direction of our block as the MErch stand is in that direction, and stumbled across the Oxfam stall. There was no Pete there, so we stopped to chat to one of the lovely volunteers and sign up (Thanks for the mention Pete :kiss:). We then headed for the bar, and stopped to have a drink. Whilst we were having a drink, another lovely Oxfam volunteer stopped to chat. With about half an hour til show time, we headed to the Merch stand to see what we could buy. I'm very tempted by the pink skinny rib, and may well have to purchase tomorrow.

Merch stand well browsed, we mooched back out to the Oxfam stall, but still no Pete, so we decided to go and take our seats. Was overjoyed to see we were closer to the b stage than I had imagined. We sat down and had a good look around the arena, working out where the acoustic would be, and fascinated by the roadies dangling from the ceiling. There was a hole in the side of the stage near us, and we could see lots of computer lights, so I came to the conclusion that it was probably #42's lair.

More to follow

:dance:

Here it is:

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

Talk (techno version)

The Hardest Part (Chris solo piano)

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Green Eyes (acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

------

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

-------

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

The Escapist (outro)

Part 2

We were sat there looking & chatting when we suddenly deafened by the loudest rendition of the Blue Danube I've ever heard (we were almost sat in line with the big dangly speakers from the ceiling, which made it seem so loud, I think). The lights went out, LIT started, some sparklers appeared at the edge of the stage, and ........

Ian and I stood up, a couple of guys behind us stood up, a few people to my left stood up, the floor stood up, and pretty much every one else stayed sat down :shocked2: Admittedly it was a very varied crowd to ones I've seen previously at a Coldplay show, but I thought it was obvious it was a concert, not the theatre.

Violet Hill was good, but not what I expected it to be live. I don’t know what I did expect but it wasn’t to feel ambivalent about it. Clocks is my all time favourite song, and I absolutely adore it live, but again it didn’t have its usual sparkle for me. Possibly because I was still disappointed by how many people were sitting down, although the arena did have a bit more of a buzz to it by this point. In My Place was the turning point, not only did a lot of the arena seem to know this song, but Chris bounced over towards our side of the arena and told everyone they could stand up because this one was a sing-along (paraphrasing rapidly now because I don’t remember how exactly he said it). Was on the wrong side of the arena to see much of the ramp of love, plus the bloke in front’s head obscured most of that ramp.

Next up we got the shouting comp. I hate to say it, but I only remember hearing about this in the UK, which suggests to me they’re using it to try and inject some life into the reserved Brit crowds :( We were on Guy’s side, and you could feel the love :D Then yellow popped up with the good old glitter filled balloons. I think it was at this point that the crowd turned round, it was a huge sing-along, the people on the floor seemed to be having fun playing with the balloons, and you could really feel the Manchester love gaining momentum.

Fix You is never the same for me live since the first time. I don’t think you can ever beat seeing it in a stadium with the swingy light & the huge firework explosions. Last time I heard it live, I had tears in my eyes, but not tonight (may well have been too excited to be soppy emotional though).

GPASUYF. Wasn’t sure about this from the vids from other shows, but live it takes on a life of its on, and I love the way they made it flow into Talk. A cool lyric change in Talk too “I've been trying to play piano but I don't know what to do.”.

Hardest Part. Chris chatted for a bit, can’t remember all of what he said other than the bit about it being a song for when you realise your group is not as good as Oasis. I quite enjoyed it as a song all stripped down to very basics.

Viva La Vida was every bit as good as I hoped it would be live. Now I just need to get me to Wembley where I can treat it to its proper worship. You can’t bounce around in Arena seats .

Green Eyes rocked! Will have to pay more attention tomorrow though, I was concentrating very hard on not disconnecting Mich :D

Will & Death Will Never Conquer was great, although the guy behind me was talking on his phone to some bloke called Gary. Made me smile when he said “the drummer’s singing!”

Viva La Vida Remix is very cool. Manchester again let us down! :( The magic balls showed video of mobile phone glowsticks, I waved mine like a nutter, and yet I could count no more than 20 other people doing the same. I could see one of the roadies frantically waving theirs, but no-one seemed to take the hint! :lol:

Lovers In Japan was amazing!! The vid they play is cool. Although I had a very difficult time looking at the magic balls at this point! You’ve all corrupted me with your talk of nipples, and that’s all I could make out in the squiggles :P I’d gotten so involved in the concert by this point that I’d completely forgotten about the butterflies. Which I’m very glad about, because they completely took me by surprise. The other thing about the butterflies, is that the pics & videos do them no justice whatsoever, they are absolutely stunning when you’re there. Just a shame we won’t get a chance to be underneath them. I guess they look even more spectacular from the floor.

What else can I say? The rest of the setlist was the same as we’ve had previously, but as I’ve not experienced it live myself until tonight I wasn’t disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and can’t wait til we do it all over again tomorrow :D

Little bit more to follow :)

Part 2

We were sat there looking & chatting when we suddenly deafened by the loudest rendition of the Blue Danube I've ever heard (we were almost sat in line with the big dangly speakers from the ceiling, which made it seem so loud, I think). The lights went out, LIT started, some sparklers appeared at the edge of the stage, and ........

Ian and I stood up, a couple of guys behind us stood up, a few people to my left stood up, the floor stood up, and pretty much every one else stayed sat down :shocked2: Admittedly it was a very varied crowd to ones I've seen previously at a Coldplay show, but I thought it was obvious it was a concert, not the theatre.

Violet Hill was good, but not what I expected it to be live. I don’t know what I did expect but it wasn’t to feel ambivalent about it. Clocks is my all time favourite song, and I absolutely adore it live, but again it didn’t have its usual sparkle for me. Possibly because I was still disappointed by how many people were sitting down, although the arena did have a bit more of a buzz to it by this point. In My Place was the turning point, not only did a lot of the arena seem to know this song, but Chris bounced over towards our side of the arena and told everyone they could stand up because this one was a sing-along (paraphrasing rapidly now because I don’t remember how exactly he said it). Was on the wrong side of the arena to see much of the ramp of love, plus the bloke in front’s head obscured most of that ramp.

Next up we got the shouting comp. I hate to say it, but I only remember hearing about this in the UK, which suggests to me they’re using it to try and inject some life into the reserved Brit crowds :( We were on Guy’s side, and you could feel the love :D Then yellow popped up with the good old glitter filled balloons. I think it was at this point that the crowd turned round, it was a huge sing-along, the people on the floor seemed to be having fun playing with the balloons, and you could really feel the Manchester love gaining momentum.

Fix You is never the same for me live since the first time. I don’t think you can ever beat seeing it in a stadium with the swingy light & the huge firework explosions. Last time I heard it live, I had tears in my eyes, but not tonight (may well have been too excited to be soppy emotional though).

GPASUYF. Wasn’t sure about this from the vids from other shows, but live it takes on a life of its on, and I love the way they made it flow into Talk. A cool lyric change in Talk too “I've been trying to play piano but I don't know what to do.”.

Hardest Part. Chris chatted for a bit, can’t remember all of what he said other than the bit about it being a song for when you realise your group is not as good as Oasis. I quite enjoyed it as a song all stripped down to very basics.

Viva La Vida was every bit as good as I hoped it would be live. Now I just need to get me to Wembley where I can treat it to its proper worship. You can’t bounce around in Arena seats .

Green Eyes rocked! Will have to pay more attention tomorrow though, I was concentrating very hard on not disconnecting Mich :D

Will & Death Will Never Conquer was great, although the guy behind me was talking on his phone to some bloke called Gary. Made me smile when he said “the drummer’s singing!”

Viva La Vida Remix is very cool. Manchester again let us down! :( The magic balls showed video of mobile phone glowsticks, I waved mine like a nutter, and yet I could count no more than 20 other people doing the same. I could see one of the roadies frantically waving theirs, but no-one seemed to take the hint! :lol:

Lovers In Japan was amazing!! The vid they play is cool. Although I had a very difficult time looking at the magic balls at this point! You’ve all corrupted me with your talk of nipples, and that’s all I could make out in the squiggles :P I’d gotten so involved in the concert by this point that I’d completely forgotten about the butterflies. Which I’m very glad about, because they completely took me by surprise. The other thing about the butterflies, is that the pics & videos do them no justice whatsoever, they are absolutely stunning when you’re there. Just a shame we won’t get a chance to be underneath them. I guess they look even more spectacular from the floor.

What else can I say? The rest of the setlist was the same as we’ve had previously, but as I’ve not experienced it live myself until tonight I wasn’t disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and can’t wait til we do it all over again tomorrow :D

Little bit more to follow :)

Weeeeeee!

And thank yooooooooooooooooooooou! :dance: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: