✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Dec-08 - Manchester, MEN Arena - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine too. was going to google later and see if I could change it, but it generall looks like gobbledegook when I try those types of sites

Yeah I've had a google too and I always end up more confused lol.

I tried allsorts last night and finally settled with quickest shutter speed with no flash.

Tar love, I'll give this a go.

Coldplay still have plenty of vida left in them

We've said it before but it bears repeating: Coldplay are unfairly maligned. Just because they make popular songs, are hugely rich and yet don't conform to every rock-band cliche in the book (OK, we'll pass over the one about the frontman marrying a film star), it seems necessary to mock their every move. No wonder they've been taken to American hearts: there they actually like and encourage success.

Perhaps all those who denegrate Coldplay as being whiny bedwetting cohorts of Keane and Snow Patrol would think differently if they saw them live. At the Arena last night, Martin and co were awesomely powerful, Jonny Buckland's riffs set to stadium and anthem after anthem blowing away any of the bad moods they'd suggested they'd been in.

True, Martin doesn't so much like the sound of his own voice as like the sound of the crowd's - too often he opts for simply playing along as the audience bellow the words to Yellow. It's fun for a while, and then a little annoying - you don't pay £42.50 to hear the bloke next to you roaring the words. But in a sense it does prove how effortless Martin and co find writing memorable, clear-eyed pop songs.

The new songs from Viva La Vida fit snugly into the greatest hits; particularly the immense bombast of Lovers In Japan and 42. But the surprise - and they continually do surprise here, playing songs down the runway; at the back of the arena; letting the drummer sing - is when they play a techno version of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, melding it into Talk and back again and somehow making it all work.

And yet it's The Hardest Part which sums Coldplay up. Or rather, the intro to it. Martin says it's a song about 'realising you'll never be quite as good as Oasis'. Look at their records and you have to wonder whether that's actually true - three out of four for Coldplay ain't bad compared to the Gallaghers' hit-rate of, ooh, two and a half out of seven. They want the critical acclaim that a Radiohead or an Arcade Fire enjoy, and yet they want the era-defining swagger of Oasis. Say one thing for them, at least Coldplay are still hungry - striving for, basically, an impossible dream.

http://manchesterblog.metro.co.uk

not really - but the arena does have a NCP next to it, but get there about 6-7pm for that, it will still be busy from the commuters. Other that that you could try the printworks:

http://www.men-arena.com/arena/?page_id=1152

we parked at brooklands and got the tram in, which is our preferred option :)

Great....thanks for the advice! Might give the printworks a try then.

now you know what I mean when I say shit camera for videos, at least the audio is "ok" :laugh3:

its not that bad Ian. Hell at least it was steady.:laugh3:

Like I said, you stick to the stills and I'll get the video;)

We'll be able to piece together the entire gig:lol:

I'm pretty sure they did Crests of Waves as well, but its not on the set list on the first page? Am I wrong??

I had a little heart attack, thank god it's not true, they have to wait other 9 days before playing it :P

Anyway, great pics, vids and reviews Jen and Ian :D