✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

15-Dec-08 - London, O2 Arena - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Monday was the day of the gig so we spent the morning and afternoon traipsing about London itself. Getting to do the touristy stuff that I don't normally get a chance to do when I'm over thames-side. Saw Westminster (cathedral, abbey and parliament), had a "flight" in the London eye, took a trip to Buckingham palace via Trafalgar square and even caught some changing of the guards. A bit of shopping saw us quite tired by the late afternoon. But all in all it had been a productive, worthwile proper seeing of London.

And then it happened. Niall said those faithful words. "Sure this is going way better than Edinburgh." It would seem the ever listening fates don't like such cockiness. Especially not when it involves me and Cusack in a foreign country. So off to the concert we went, oblivious to the rolls of the dice the gods were playing in their consistent efforts to make any trip abroad that we take together more "interesting".

The concert itself was great - Coldplay are still one of my favourite bands and put on a great concert. They were even joined by rom-zom-com surpemo Simon Pegg for a couple of songs. A kind of dull crowd meant that it wasn't brilliant but it had been worth the trip so far. Tired but satisfied we were making our way to the tube station when the wrath of the gods struck.

"Due to an incident on the track, the jubilee line is closed in both directions."

I'm still not sure whether this meant that someone threw themselves in front of the train or somehow just managed to get on the track but the effect was catastrophic. Nearly 20,000 people (well that might be an exaggeration - but it is the capacity of the 02) all trying to get home, suddenly had to try and find alternative arrangements. The Thames Clipper was only accepting existing ticket holders so there was no boat out. There wasn't nearly enough buses, the taxis were going to be astronomical, and when the line did re-open there were thousands of people trying to get into the tube station. As it was, we had to get to Victoria station to get an overground train to Clapham Junction where Paula lived.

So we decided to walk. Not to Clapham Junction, but to somewhere else that we could get a tube or train or even a rickshaw if there was one to be had. And walk we did. 2 miles may not seem a lot, but at half eleven at night, walking the Thames path from the O2 arena is a scary fucking prospect. 2 miles of a badly lit path that twisted and turned as it wended its away through a massive industrial estate, full of foul smelling grain piles, disused factories and barbed wire fences. It was honestly like something out of a horror movie. A couple joined us as we made our way to god knew where and every turn and foul smell emanating from the river only served to heighten the atmosphere. I only wish I'd had my camera, because even though it freaked the shit out of me, it was also one of the most exhilerating things I've done in a while.

Suffice it to say, we weren't attacked by zombies, none of us were bitten by any American werewolves that may or may not have been in London and we finally made our return to civilisation at the Cutty Sark Docklands Light Rail station.

Unfortunately it was now half twelve. Our chances of making it to Victoria Street station were looking slimmer and slimmer. The DLR brought us to the tube station at Bank, where as our luck could only have it, we'd missed the last tube on every one of the four lines serving the station by a matter of minutes. The lifts in the station were also bust, so 138 steps took us to the street and an increasingly desperate attempt to get to Victoria to get a late train to Clapham Junction. Grabbing a taxi was our only option, and so we spent our last 15 quid to get to Victoria.

Only to arrive as the station was being closed up for the night.

I mean honestly. You couldn't write this for a hapless buddy comedy starring John Candy and Steve Martin.

But, just as we had given up and decided we'd have to bite the bullet and fork out many of queen elizabeth's lovely pounds sterling on a taxi to Clapham, a tiny ray of hope appeared. The bus office helper monkey was in the bus office helper monkey cubicle. The late buses were still running! And there was a bus that went straight through Clapham Junction. Saved. Choirs of angels could not have sounded sweeter than a surly cockney bus worker telling us were to go to get the N44.

So at about 2 am, a good 3 hours after Coldplay had finished playing we managed to crash asleep on Paula's living room couches.

http://mushtastic.blogspot.com/2008/12/planes-trains-and-automobiles.html

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah that's what I thought at the time, nothing else mattered to me at the time though other than making as much noise and having the best time possible :)

I still haven't got over how good it was, I really envy those who have still got it to look forward to tonight! Bring on Wembley!

;) See you @ Wembley then :dance: All of us Coldplayers will be enjoying ourselves to the hilt :D

Thanks for finding my photos and posting them here and the nice comment - don't think I've ever contributed to a forum before registering!

I've added a few more photos to my flickr stream now, which I hope the members here can enjoy. I hope they look OK - it was my first ever attempt at gig photography and my camera really isn't up to the task. You should see the ones that I've had to discard - Chris moves far too quickly for the slow shutter speed!

I thoroughly enjoyed last night (apart from the hassle getting home!). As someone who has been gigging for 20 years now, I'm sure this will long be remembered as one of the best I've seen and although it was the first time I saw Coldplay, it certainly won't be the last, if I can help it.

Finally, for most of the gig (apart from the obvious bit!), I had Simon Pegg standing in the entrance to the backstage area right next to me. Seat right next to the stage, one of my favourite comic actors right next to me and a great performance. If it wasn't for TfL and a journey home involving three buses, two trains and a car, the night would have been just perfect!

Amazing pictures hedgie!!! :nice:

Chris Martin snubs limos and takes the Underground to O2 gig

If you were on your way to the O2 on Monday night and thought: "That bloke reading 3am looks vaguely like Chris Martin"- then it probably was!

Because the Coldplay star decided to snub the chauffeur-driven limo and jump on the Jubilee Line to go to his own gig.

He told us: "I was reading your column on the way here on the Tube. I like getting the Tube sometimes to walk into our own gig. You get charged up from the atmosphere.

"No one recognised me. I just bought a Mirror and kept my head down and got off with everyone else. But then security stopped me at the door and I had to explain who I was. That was a bit embarrassing."

Bet they thought you were taking the Chris mate...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/3am/2008/12/17/chris-martin-snubs-limos-and-takes-the-underground-to-o2-gig-115875-20976376/

OMG!! i wish i'd taken the jubilee line earlier and would have seen him !!!!

i got back yesterday from london after seeing the gig on monday!!! those were the best 2 hours of my life !!!!

ive been dreaming of seeing coldplay since i was like 14, which is like 7 years ! I was so excited !!!! I felt so horrible how so many ppl seemed to take it for granted and walked out before it ended or talked and barely watched... i mean, i had to go through so much to get there.... :/

and now im having this post-concert depression!!! know what i mean?

is that normal???

anyway..... i hope i get over this soon ! and too bad my camera is crappy because i was sitting in decent sits, i could have gotten good pics... the ones ppl posted on here are amazing !

Wicked concert, shame about the seated only, only ever seen them standing. The magic 8 ball's were amazing.

just a quick question does anyone know the name of the song that was played just before they came on, it was jay z with someone else

not sure, I know the classical music one though

No! Just sitting around, enjoying a gingerbread latte and listening to my iPod. ;) As for the song that played before they came on... I Just Wanna Love You (Give It To Me) by Jay-Z, I think!

Were you sitting outside Starbucks, then?:confused:

So basically what you're saying is that Chris really did travel in on the Jubilee Line, and then walked through the main entrance while we were standing round the corner in the cold!:dozey:

We came into Starbucks about 6pm, so maybe you saw us if you were still there...........................................

Ah I just read through the entire thread again and saw a load of stuff I missed when I first got home :laugh3:

LOL at OKC , he was on the phone to me when they came on!- but elt rejected when I started screaming"oh my god chris is sooo fuckin goergeous!!!

lol, now kimchi just screamed the same thing to me!:laugh3:

Hehe I just found this and was wondering why the nice Aussie girl we were sitting next to and I was telling all about you suddenly went a bit less friendly early on in the gig - seems like a pretty good possible explanation :P

let's not... i don't need to see kimchi that way :stunned::D

Nor does kimchi :cool::laugh3:

Kimchi, it wasn't Kels fault, we bullied her. Hope you had an ace time tonight!! :D

That was her story too :P And thanks a lot Jen it was the best time I've ever seen the boys :dance:

Glad you had a great time Pete!!!:D

Thanks a lot Joe it was amazing my friend :) Just going through my pics of the night and as usual only one or two came out boooo. You can see how close we were but that's about it. At least I got to finally punch one of the Yellow balloons back into the heavens after years hoping to be that close :P

Thanks a lot Joe it was amazing my friend :) Just going through my pics of the night and as usual only one or two came out boooo. You can see how close we were but that's about it. At least I got to finally punch one of the Yellow balloons back into the heavens after years hoping to be that close :P

Your welcome, ya the last gig I went to I didnt great pictures so its ok!

Oh you did, they didnt use any of the yellow balloons out here for the shows. Too bad:D

Went to the show despite all my bad luck with the tickets (and buses to find my way too z_z).

Anyway, got in!

Had to buy my way in for 80 pounds but that was okay. Greatest show I've ever seen (and I've been to Nine Inch Nails twice)... Really made me come to tears...

Well, best night ever. Even managed to see the most beautiful french flag ever ;)