✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Help Oxfam America & See Coldplay! (Volunteer Discussion Thread)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Oxfam Blog] Winding our way to Whistler.

Source: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=31

Take action: http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?page_id=2

Canada and the Rocky Mountains.. the latest destination of the Coldplay Tour. It’s the day of their headline slot at the Pemberton Festival, which will also see Jay-Z perform before the London boys take to the main stage. Quite an impressive pair of headliners. Surely rumours of a collaboration will circulate the site. We shall wait and see.

Philadelphia Wachovia Center was the last to play host to Coldplay’s sold out show. A night to remember for thousands more fans before the tour headed for it’s 4 dates in Canada. A few of those fans being dedicated enough to show their appreciation by handing out ‘Viva La Coldplay’ and ‘USA Still Loves Coldplay’ signs to the audience. This was the idea of http://www.coldplaying.com to follow in the footsteps of a previous stunt at the end of the Twisted Logic tour. These dedicated fans also kindly gave their time to hand out Oxfam postcards to raise awareness. The message being a joint one, of appreciation for a great band, and that together, we can change the world.

Oxfam America will for now hand over the reigns to Oxfam groups in Canada and Quebec. Volunteers will be there at the Pemberton festival and again in Montreal and Toronto. The crew travelled tirelessly, merging two days into one to get here.. Today I found myself in Vancouver and then winding our way through the stunning Rocky Mountains to Whistler. What a tour. What a trip. Apparently one of the guys spotted a bear.. I was too busy looking at the snow tipped mountains and waterfalls on my side of the van. It’s time I went to bed, before my day merges into three.

Montreal already?

Ole, Ole Ole Ole .. Cold-play Coldplay! (repeat many times).

There’s nothing like a festival crowd. Squished in tight for the best spot. For some that’s right by the speaker, on your friends shoulders, by the fence, or it might be at the back.. where there’s room to dance. For everyone, it’s on the grass/mud/dust/hay, or whatever else is underfoot. It was dust at the first ever Pemberton Festival. For most, the best spot was as close to the stage as possible, when the night reached Coldplay time. Some of those at the back got a surprise front spot when the band played two songs by in the middle of the crowd. Festival crowds are so close, you can feel the heat, just standing. And when the roar goes up for the return of Coldplay to Canada, 5 weeks at number 1 here, you can almost hear it.. the heat i mean.

I was right in there. Where Oxfam frisbees flew all around. Beach balls bounced off heads and the buzz of human excitement filled the air. Girls and boys alike screamed for their favourite songs, and for band members hands in marriage..(one guy behind me said.. “That Chris Martin guy.. he’s a .. guy.. but i’d like to marry him”). There was a general consensus. It was worth the traffic which awaited us all, to see Coldplay close the festival Sunday night.

Coldplay follwed ‘Mr’ Jay-Z (as they called him). He warmed up the crowd nicely for his friends from London. Coldplay claimed that they should have done that for their friend from Brooklyn, New York.

It was another whistlestop tour of another incredible place. Pemberton festival more visually stunning than most. The stage back-drop was snow-tipped peaks. Oxfam’s tent was in a wooded path, where Oxfam Canada had linked up with Make Poverty History. People could also sign action cards, buy white wristbands or have their picture taken for the 0.7 campaign asking the Canadian government to meet their promises for overcoming poverty.

British Columbia is a beautiful place. Vancouver will be a great setting for the 2010 Olympics. Coldplay are a long way from there now, just two days later. They are two doors down from me, warming up for their show at Centre Bell, Montreal. Santogold is busy on-stage warming up the crowd. Oxfam Quebec volunteers are busy talking to the crowd about the Health and Education FOR ALL campaign. There is the chance to take an action right there to sign a petition asking for more and better health and education workers worldwide. I had better go and see how they are getting on, before they take their seats. It’s not long until Coldplay time.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=32

Maple Leafs all round.

The singing was ringing in my ears as I packed up and took a shower last night. Chris Martin had told the crowd the rules of the encore: that they had to make lots of noise, if they wanted the band to come out again. That was before they played the last song of the set.. then, even with a mic, you couldn’t hear him speak to introduce it.

Montreal was an amazing show. The crowd in full voice from start to end. Coldplay couldn’t help but play a second encore. There’s a lesson in making some noise for one more song. 1887 strong of that same crowd signed Oxfam Quebec’s FOR ALL petition. Exigez l’accès de tous aux services publics en signant la déclaration Pour tous!

Countless more spoke to one of our fantastic volunteers. There may be only one show in Quebec, but I won’t forget it.

7 hours after getting on the bus, we’re off again, load-in has begun, the stage rolled in, the floor marked, riggers walk the gangways way up high, and road cases just keep rolling in off the trucks. There are cables and chains everywhere. It’s hard hat city, and everyone seems to know their place. The ice for the Maple Leafs is long gone. A new stage is being built before my eyes. Tonight, Toronto’s Air Canada Center plays host to Coldplay. For now though, it’s a building site.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=33

One more show north of the border.

Santogold just warmed up in a huddle to my left. Black hats, white shirts, balck ’pants’, white ’sneakers’ and sunglasses. The lights are bright out there you know.. They just took the stage, with a roar rippling through the excited crowd. Sirens ring around. There goes the beat. There’s the bass.

Backstage always sounds like a glamorous place.. all couches, plants.. etc. This is just where we work. I’m sat by a concrete wall. Surrounded by road cases. Roadies and crew are perched on cases with laptops, catching up with the world. Radios are being charged. It’s true though that some unusual things happen. Earlier on, two huge bundles of helium balloons went past me.. I think it must be someone’s birthday… Should make for a good show tonight.

1346 people signed Oxfam’s FOR ALL petition last night. Coldplay have invited us here to talk to their supporters about how they can also support the amazing work of Oxfam around the world. The movement created during Make Trade Fair was incredible. I still see the symbol on t-shirts, hands, shoulders, even foreheads.. I was reading earlier, about the real and positive changes that have been made possible, by that campaign. People’s lives have been changed. Farmers in Ghana are able to control their own destiny. They can sell their crops at a fair price. With their improved income, they can pay for their children to go to school. Change is possible. The FOR ALL campaign calls for children to have access to good education, for everyone to have safe health care, water and sanitation. It’s basic stuff. It’s important though.

I’m so pleased we’re here. Part of this tour. Sitting amongst the road cases, blogging backstage. Or talking to people on the concourse, before they take their seats. Coldplay may well be stopping by in a town near you on this tour. It’s a show worth waiting for. There’s no reason to wait to get involved with Oxfam’s work. Just click on the right of this page. Show your support for Oxfam and Coldplay.

There goes the drum tech with the sticks for tonight. I wonder how many Will breaks during ‘Politik’?! There goes Santogold. Still bouncing to the tune of their last song. I’m going to see if the setlist is ready.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=34

Farewell Canada.. (for now).

It’s the end of the road in Toronto. We will soon cross the border back into the United States of America.

I’m in the production office, post-shower. I’ve packed the Oxfam road case. I’ve seen off the awesome Oxfam Canada volunteering team. Another 1615 signatures for the FOR ALL campaign. Signed. Sealed. Delivered.. (or something like that).

I took my shower in the dressing room (after the band had left). Paper butterflies still littered the floor. There are not many better feelings than a hot shower after a long day at the ‘office’. The Toronto crowd were treated to an unscheduled version of ‘The Hardest Part’ tonight. It sounded like a great show. One of the highlights so far. Oxfam and Coldplay have had an incredible time in Canada.

I will be glad to hit the pillow in my bunk tonight.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/

Hartford, XL Center.

The walls are shaking. The crew are checking the huge sound system. Both band and crew, are back in the USA. Canada behind us, until we roll into Ottawa, next time we cross the pond. A very sleepy crew left Toronto after 3 consecurive show days. We made the (slightly) bonkers border crossing back South.. (all off the buses at 4.30am, only to be sent back to our buses without checking out passports).

Oxfam America volunteers will be here in an hour. All geared up and ready to ask this Connecticut crowd to join Coldplay’s support of Oxfam. It’s a crazy world that gives millions of people less than $1 each for a hard day’s work. The same world that sells bottled water for $5 at a festival.. when billions don’t have access to clean water. Something is not right. Oxfam knows that. Coldplay have shown their support for Oxfam for years. What better time to realise the power we have collectively to make a difference, than whilst having the time of your life, singing with thousands of other people, to a Coldplay song. Small actions change lives. Sign a petition. Join a movement asking for education for all. Buy Fairtrade coffee to give your coffee farmer a fair wage. Click on the ’Take Action’ page to do exactly that, right now.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=36

they've snuck a few piccies into the blog, :)

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/

and a new entry :D

What’s that I hear? .. (silence)

The quiet hum of a computer. The muffled bleep of a printer. The distant mingled voices of the office. Grey clouds outside and the smell of freshly brewed tea. It’s all very different sights, sounds and smells to life on the road. No radios, no lines of cables on the floor, no waiting crowds filling arenas.. Most of the crew, myself included, have returned home after the first leg of the tour. Only a select few crew members have travelled on with Coldplay to Japan, for the two dates at Summer Sonic Festival. If you happen to be at the festival, why not check out Oxfam Japan, after catching the headline set..

It’s time to re-charge batteries (and not just those belonging to the radio sets). I’m exhausted. My eyes feel like crutons. It’s past home-time in the office, but it feels like lunch-time. From what I hear, we are all going to need our rest. Europe is going to be intense. From Spain to Germany, Coldplay are popular, wherever they go. Oxfam will be there all the way. The tour left North America screaming for an encore, with two final shows in Washington and Boston. My views of which were a walk around the block, peering through the bus window, and of course, inside the organs of two more huge sports arenas. Boston TD Banknorth Garden, the home of Boston Celtics, and of their first NBA Championship triumph since 1986. Oxfam/Coldplay volunteer and outgoing intern with Oxfam America, Jack, was fairly pleased that Coldplay were playing at the home of the Celtics, on his last day, across the road from the Oxfam office! Not a bad way to go out.

One fan signed up at the Oxfam table with the Make Trade Fair = symbol on his hands, and said to me “I heard about Oxfam from Coldplay, I wan’t to get involved with your work, how can I help?” It’s so powerful to hear people saying these things time and again at the concerts. So many people have been inspired by Coldplay’s support for Oxfam. Chris Martin himself once said, whilst visiting Ghana.. “Everybody coming together to make one loud voice, is the only way that things get changed”. When you hear the volume of that voice singing the chorus of ‘Yellow’ each night there is a Coldplay show, wherever they are around the world, it makes you realise the noise we can all make with Oxfam too. There is no point in us all sitting behind our quietly humming computers and just thinking about it. Add your voice now.

I am looking forward to a rest, to walking a few streets I know and catching up with myself and those i’ve missed. There is a part of me already looking forward to getting out there again. Touring the world and hearing that loud voice get louder.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=40

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Coldplayers-

I wanted to make sure you all know that we're now taking applications for volunteers for the new Coldplay shows announced this week:

Wed Oct 29 - Boston, MA - TD Banknorth Gardens

Fri Oct 31 - Washington DC - Verizon Center

Sat Nov 1 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center

Wed Nov 5 - Altanta, GA - Phillips Arena

We're also thrilled to see that some members of this board have also worked with us at recent shows by Bloc Party, Wilco, and Thao with The Get Down Stay Down...so thanks! We've also just posted the applications for many dates on the upcoming tour by red-hot indie rockers Ra Ra Riot, who have an amazing sound (including a violin and cello in the band!), if you are interested.

The sign up for all the shows is:

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/concerts

Thanks!

logo_h_ko_bw.gif

Some OXFAM Questions

Do you have to be a cirten age to work with oxfam? Im 16 and would love to help out at a show. And do you really get to wach the whole show? (as in sit down relax and engoy Coldplay?) And finaly how do i sign up? Thanks

-Jesse-

I have been trying to volunteer for the Boston concert and I can't get through to anyone! I wanted to volunteer before they even listed that concert on the Oxfam site. Before Coldplay added a second Boston date I applied to the New Jersey openings and never heard back for those either. I have emailed and left two voicemails with the volunteer person at the Oxfam office in Boston but no one is returning my calls or responding to my emails. I'm really discouraged... I wanted to be able to help out before and after the concert. :cry:

I have been trying to volunteer for the Boston concert and I can't get through to anyone! I wanted to volunteer before they even listed that concert on the Oxfam site. Before Coldplay added a second Boston date I applied to the New Jersey openings and never heard back for those either. I have emailed and left two voicemails with the volunteer person at the Oxfam office in Boston but no one is returning my calls or responding to my emails. I'm really discouraged... I wanted to be able to help out before and after the concert. :cry:

Send me a PM with your questions...I'll be glad to help.

logo_h_ko_bw.gif

Do you have to be a cirten age to work with oxfam? Im 16 and would love to help out at a show. And do you really get to wach the whole show? (as in sit down relax and engoy Coldplay?) And finaly how do i sign up? Thanks

-Jesse-

Hi Jesse-

Good questions!

Because of venue rules in certain areas of the country, we ask our volunteers to be 18+, but we'll allow volunteers under 18 if they are working in tandem with a family member who is 18+. When you fill out the application, make sure you both mention you want to work together, and that'll be taken into consideration when we make final selections.

Thanks,

logo_h_ko_bw.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, we'll be adding the Oct. 27 show in New Jersey shortly...thanks for pointing that out!

And so you know, it looks like we are still short of applicants in the following cities:

Cleveland, Washington DC, Philly, Atlanta, and Oklahoma City...so sign-up now!

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatyoucando/act_now/music/concerts_2008/

Thanks to everyone at Coldplaying.com for your continued support,

logo_h_ko_bw.gif

Here's a quick update on the cities we're still short on volunteers for:

Meadowlands, NJ 10/27

DC 10/31

Atlanta 11/5

Orlando 11/07

Sunrise, FL 11/09

OK City 11/16

Glendale, AZ 11/26

Having said that, there are still a few openings available in nearly every other city, so apply now here:

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatyoucando/act_now/music/concerts_2008/

Thanks,

logo_h_ko_bw.gif