✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

9-Nov-08 - BankAtlantic Centre, Ft Lauderdale, FL, - Tickets, Preview, Review/Photos

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have two great tickets to the show - only looking to recoup my cost for the tickets

Have two tix in Sec 121, Row 22 - See link below

https://www.ticketmaster.com/seatingchart_secure/107150/23809/

Selling at my cost only - i.e. face value of US$97.50, plus about US$16 in Ticketmaster service fees - as I had two people cancel on our road trip recently and am otherwise "stuck" with two great tickets I cannot use .

The only complication is that the tickets are at the will call window (I ordered internationally) and so I will only have my hands on them the day of the concert. We'll need to make arrangements to meet and/or trade cell numbers if you want the tickets. I am a fan (am travelling from the Cayman Islands to go to the concert), so I assure you that I will not try to up the price on the tickets or otherwise pull any tricks. I am only looking to recoup my expenses for the seats.

Anyone interested? Email me at [email protected]

Paul

Two great tickets for Ft Lauderdale on the 9th

Have two tix in Sec 121, Row 22 - See link below

https://www.ticketmaster.com/seating.../107150/23809/

Selling at my cost only - i.e. face value of US$97.50, plus about US$16 in Ticketmaster service fees - as I had two people cancel on our road trip recently and am otherwise "stuck" with two great tickets I cannot use .

The only complication is that the tickets are at the will call window (I ordered internationally) and so I will only have my hands on them the day of the concert. We'll need to make arrangements to meet and/or trade cell numbers if you want the tickets. I am a fan (am travelling from the Cayman Islands to go to the concert), so I assure you that I will not try to up the price on the tickets or otherwise pull any tricks. I am only looking to recoup my expenses for the seats.

Anyone interested? Email me at [email protected]

Paul

Win Miami Tickets

Coldplay.preview.jpg

http://www.miami.com/win-coldplay-tix

If you're like me, you've got a bone to pick with Ticketmaster. "Convenience" charges (which aren't waived if you physically go to the box office, fyi)? And for each ticket? Is it really so much harder to stuff two into an envelope instead of one? Point is, even before economical hard times, I stopped going to concerts unless a) Ticketmaster wasn't involved, b) I would kick myself really hard for the rest of my life if I didn't see X band/musician or c) I get to go for free.

If you'll kick yourself if you don't go to this Sunday's Coldplay concert at the BankAtlantic Center, but don't want to sell your plasma for tix, Miami.com and BankAtlantic (did you know they're open 7 days a week?) might have a solution. All you have to do is tune into The Link tomorrow (that would be Thursday), during which Toni and J.R. will ask a Coldplay trivia question. Email [email protected] with the answer, along with your name, age, email address and phone number -- if you're one of the first six to reply, you've got yourself two tix.

And these aren't vertigo-inducing, I-can-see-bats-in-the-rafters-from-here tix. These are tix for the Miami.com/BankAtlantic SUITE. Cushy seats, line-free booze ordering and no jack-arse in front of you thinking everyone would rather hear his version of "Yellow." Instead, you'll be surrounded by your fellow uber-cool Miami.com users.

I'm pretty sure even Apple would agree these are good seats. Though I guess Gwenyth's lap is pretty nice, too.

-- miaeditor

Coldplay is hot but rarely cool

Chris Martin realizes Coldplay has some critics, but that's not stopping him from living la Vida.

Chris Martin was working out the knots. As his handlers hovered, the usually affable Coldplay singer stretched out on the carpet in a dim and airless room backstage at the Jimmy Kimmel show. It was hours before showtime and the singer's muscles were tight and his expression sour. Finally, he looked up with pleading eyes. "Can we escape? Let's go somewhere else. Maybe some place with trees? I have a car and a driver ..."

A few minutes later, the lanky Brit ducked through an alleyway behind the talk show's Hollywood Boulevard studios and climbed into an ebony SUV that whisked him and his visitor up the hill to Griffith Park. "This looks good," he said, tapping the window. "Yes, let's stop here." As soon as his sneakers hit the grass, the black-clad Martin was as perky as the Labrador that trotted past him on a path. Enough so that he started making confessions and jokes which, for him, are hard to separate.

"Like millions of people in the world, I can't listen to Coldplay," Martin said with a daft wink. "But my reason is professional. You see, I'm always thinking about the next thing. I'm also always looking for something that will inspire the next thing. Look, we're the one band we can't plagiarize. So really there's no point in me listening to it. If I think, 'Well, that's good,' then I'll want to use it, which won't work. And if I think, 'Hey that's terrible,' then I'll be depressed over breakfast. It's a classic lose-lose situation."

If you listen to Coldplay — and many people do, considering the 11.2 million albums they've sold in the United States alone — then you already know that Martin is an earnest voice in an ironic age. That has opened the band up to savage insults (Noel Gallagher once sneered that they were "four Didos with willies") but instead of retreating, Martin decided to join in the sport. No one gives Chris Martin more grief these days than Martin himself. He makes fun of his hair, clothes, diet and famous falsetto. He even mocks himself for thinking, deep-down, that he's cool for not being cool: "We've never been about being cool and we never will be. And I think in a way that's quite cool. But I can't think about it too much — because if you think about it then you automatically aren't cool. Wait, I've gone too far. I'm not cool. Again."

Coldplay has a new album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, which arrived with considerable heat. The lead single, Viva la Vida, hit No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 and, at iTunes, the pre-orders for the album were the largest in the history of the digital merchant. The band became famous for polished, piano-based songs of soaring pop exultation and rainy-day reflection, but with this new studio album, their fourth, they have made a bid at reinvention. The songs are still from the heart but maybe more from the gut.

No matter what, Coldplay, booked Sunday at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, won't be able to win over a certain constituency that, frankly, has detested them too much and for too long to start listening now. Jon Pareles of The New York Times once called them the "most insufferable band of the decade," which might say less about the band and more about how fashionable it has become to slag them. Martin said it's because he wears his heart on his sleeve when he sings. "If you allow yourself to be vulnerable in your music, people will feel it a lot more," Martin said. "But a lot more people will also hate it or mock it. It's almost like a deal with the devil, but I'm happy to take that deal. It doesn't feel right to me to sing about stuff I don't believe in."

Campus catalyst

In September 1996, a shy freshman named Jonny Buckland, fresh from a Welsh town called Mold, arrived with his acoustic guitar at University College London. His plan was to look at the stars (he was studying astronomy) but his life took a different path when, during orientation week, he met Martin, a gangly kid from leafy Devon, who coaxed him into a music partnership.

They would be joined by bassist Guy Berryman, a handsome Scot who came to the university to study engineering. He had heard Martin's amateur attempts at songwriting and, after a few rounds at a pub, lurched across the room and demanded membership in the band. Will Champion, an anthropology student who knew more about tribes than he did drums, was brought in to keep the beat. They called themselves Starfish, but the name didn't stick. They pinched a better one from Child's Reflections, Cold Play, a 1997 collection by American poet Philip Horky.

Their 2000 debut album, Parachutes, yielded the yearning, breakthrough hit Yellow and the 2002 follow-up, A Rush of Blood to the Head, came with a flurry of hit singles: In My Place, Clocks and The Scientist. That's when things got complicated. Relentless tour dates, the tug of their personal lives and the turbulence of success put Coldplay in a shaky place.

The members say they felt pressured by their label, EMI/Capitol Records, to create a followup with similar scope and sound. The album was delayed and EMI's stock dropped (literally) as a result, turning up the tension. The result was X&Y, a 2005 album that sold well but, in the band's view, lacked clarity.

To steady themselves, Martin said, Coldplay looked for a place to "make it homemade again." They found it in a blind alley in London.

"We found this little bakery, and we bought it and turned it into a, well, it's like a youth club," Martin said. "Do you read the Harry Potter books? It's a bit like that train stop they use, the platform 9 3/4, which you can't find unless you know where it is. If you drive by quickly, it doesn't look like anything is there. If you go in, it's like a little band heaven. Everything is hand-painted. There was a dartboard, but it's gone now. We banned some of the leisure activities. The last thing you need when you're trying to reinvent yourself is a pool table. Drummers tend to love pool more than they love drumming. It's a bigger stick."

Uniform appeal

The group also rang up Stella McCartney for some guidance in creating uniforms. Their vision was to create a look for themselves that was a mix of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and a rag-tag Salvation Army quintet. A Norwegian tailor made jackets and trousers, which they individualized with ribbons and piping.

"It's a little nerdy, but we turned into seamstresses for a few days," Martin said. "It's a nice feeling to wear clothes you really had a hand in. It's the closest we'll get to Roc-A-Wear, I think. It's not an original idea, but it's a good one. The Clash did it and Green Day did it. Adam Ant. Lots of people. It makes you feel more like a performer."

There's also a brother-in-arms message: "I think with each band there comes a point where they have to find a place to be together, otherwise they end up living in different countries and just meet on stage. When you get famous, there are two reactions to your other band mates. You either think, 'I could do this without you.' Or you think, 'I really couldn't do this without you.' You're luckier if you are in the second category. We've always been very grateful for each other."

The Los Angeles Times is a Tribune Co. newspaper.

Coldplay

Where: BankAtlantic Center, 2555 Panther Parkway, Sunrise

When: 8 p.m. Sunday

Tickets: $49.50-$97.50; Ticketmaster.com and 561-966-3309, 954-523-3309, 305-358-5885 or box office (954-835-8000)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-shcoldpbnov07,0,7841778.story

There was a dartboard, but it's gone now. We banned some of the leisure activities. The last thing you need when you're trying to reinvent yourself is a pool table. Drummers tend to love pool more than they love drumming. It's a bigger stick."

BEST

EVER!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

I WON miami.com CONTEST!! AND I NEED A "DATE"?!

Okay so I entered for the Miami.com contest for two tickets to Coldplay on Sunday, November 9th. I magically appeared on the site exactly when the contest started and I was the first email chosen.

SO with that being said I cant find anybody to go with me due to sceduling, travel, whatever. Is there anybody in the miami area that would like to sit in box seats (IN A SUITE) for the show at the Miami BankAtlantic Center Show. I would assume a seat like this goes for $1000+. I am a broke college student that lives 14 hours away int he car, so airfare is my only option. If I cant afford it, I will end up giving it away.

But, I am set on going. Please pm me or post or call me 843-384-1598 if you are interested.

I WON miami.com CONTEST!! AND I NEED A "DATE"?! SUITE SEATS!!

Okay so I entered for the Miami.com contest for two tickets to Coldplay on Sunday, November 9th. I magically appeared on the site exactly when the contest started and I was the first email chosen.

SO with that being said I cant find anybody to go with me due to sceduling, travel, whatever. Is there anybody in the miami area that would like to sit in box seats (IN A SUITE) for the show at the Miami BankAtlantic Center Show. I would assume a seat like this goes for $1000+. I am a broke college student that lives 14 hours away int he car, so airfare is my only option. If I cant afford it, I will end up giving it away.

But, I am set on going. Please pm me or post or call me 843-384-1598 if you are interested.