✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What's up with chris's voice??

Aorian

As someone else said Live 2003 will have been mastered and altered to make Chris' voice sound better.

It's been a bit rough recently, but he did damage it very badly a few years ago so I'm guessing maybe he has good and bad days. It is improving though, slowly but surely. There's a huge difference in his voice between the MTV awards and MSG. It sounded good in the Daily Show too. I think it sounded poor yesterday because his mic wasn't at the right volume, when that happens he has to shout, which obviously makes it suffer.

How did he damage his voice a few years ago?

on the parachutes tour he damaged his voice and had they had to cancel loads of dates. he was told he couldn't speak for ages to save his voice.

By what? Improper voice techniques or ...? That's strange, I've never heard that before, he made a good recovery in my eyes

By what? Improper voice techniques or ...? That's strange, I've never heard that before, he made a good recovery in my eyes

i think he'd fell into bad habits, soon after he seeked vocal lessons. he's mentioned this i'm sure in interviews and stuff it's well know he had trouble with his voice and had to have lessons. his voice has been amazing live up until these last few shows. it might be nerves

when I was watching the BBC gig the other week, most of the songs were performed well but 'Violet Hill' was quite bad...I don't know if anyone else heard it...

I was the BBC gig and he sounded absolutely brilliant live (and the sound system there was top notch for such a small outside gig), but it plays back very badly on the broadcast for some reason. Chris was almost silent for the opening part of Violet Hill live, though, there was a problem with the mic or the levels I guess.

• 7 years later...
He's jumping around and waving arms and everything. To me it seems that he concentrates more on his movements than on his singing. :\ I miss the times, when he just stood there, lost in his music and singing that everybody melted...

Interesting to see that this observation was correctly made in 2008 already...look at him now :(

• Like 3

To me he really looks a little bit TOO nervous. He's jumping around and waving arms and everything. To me it seems that he concentrates more on his movements than on his singing. :\ I miss the times, when he just stood there, lost in his music and singing that everybody melted...

I hope he get's better with each performance, I know he can do it better!

Yo you said this 8 years ago :awesome:

Thought this was just made recently, apparently not.... interesting to see the observations about Chris' Voice were already made as far back as here. Now we look forward and this fits in with the times where his vocals were still very very good... (they still are very good, just not as good as they were :()

• Like 1

interesting to see the observations about Chris' Voice were already made as far back as here. Now we look forward and this fits in with the times where his vocals were still very very good... (they still are very good, just not as good as they were :()

Coldplay said that they enjoy being the band more than they ever had in AHFOD era. (which I can't remember where they said that)

Anyway, I think Chris's singing quality has to do with that (I'm actually sure about that). When they are performing they are so enjoying themselves, especially Chris, that he hardly can concentrate while singing. What I believe is that his voice is almost as good as years ago, you can hear it in the studio versions of the songs.

I think it's a bit sad that Chris won't be able to sing very well when he's like over 45... Wish he could keep his voice until he's 60 or something like guys like Elton John and Billy Joel.

I think he's going to switch to much lower voice tones like Yes in future albums. I don't think he can keep up with these high range vocals. Perhaps he will get vocal chord surgery like Dan Reynolds.

I don't know what you all are talking about. Maybe it's just me, but I think his voice is as good as ever actually. He's just really active & excited. That's what happens when you move your body a lot when trying to sing. Just try singing in the car; hit a bump in the road and see what happens to your voice...

Did you hear the live Everglow performance at Belasco Theater? He's not dancing and his voice is perfect.

• Like 2

I think he's going to switch to much lower voice tones like Yes in future albums. I don't think he can keep up with these high range vocals. Perhaps he will get vocal chord surgery like Dan Reynolds.

Probably true... I actually like his mid-low range voice so I could like him going that way.

I don't know what you all are talking about. Maybe it's just me, but I think his voice is as good as ever actually. He's just really active & excited. That's what happens when you move your body a lot when trying to sing. Just try singing in the car; hit a bump in the road and see what happens to your voice...

Did you hear the live Everglow performance at Belasco Theater? He's not dancing and his voice is perfect.

Everglow in Belasco theater was AMAZING, but I don't think it's him moving around that's the problem. Chris seems to struggle with high notes since about 2008? His voice cracks almost everytime when singing Fix You. He has a great voice, but it's a bit fragile so he really needs to take good care of it.

• Like 1

Interesting to see that this observation was correctly made in 2008 already...look at him now :(

Yo you said this 8 years ago :awesome:

Always love it when people dig through my old shit ahah.

But yes, I still 100% agree with my 8 years old (jfc I was bascially still a fetus back then) comment :nod:

• Like 2

Everglow in Belasco theater was AMAZING, but I don't think it's him moving around that's the problem. Chris seems to struggle with high notes since about 2008? His voice cracks almost everytime when singing Fix You. He has a great voice, but it's a bit fragile so he really needs to take good care of it.

I think what's going on in Fix You is that he's trying to sing really high notes really quietly and so that's what comes out. Either way I don't hear much of a difference between today and pre-2008. I don't know about the fragile voice; if it is true, then yeah he will have to take care of it since AHFOD has a lot of high notes.

Right !

And they're so concentrated because there's no audience.

Oh. I didn't realize haha.

• Like 1

I think it's a bit sad that Chris won't be able to sing very well when he's like over 45... Wish he could keep his voice until he's 60 or something like guys like Elton John and Billy Joel.

Well I don't know if you can confirm that, but he still might have a very good voice then. But I don't think it's going all the way to 60. Already all these big tours have gotten to his voice already... I mean as love as I adore the Mylo tour stuff like that puts strain on your voice and I mean it's going to get worse if he keeps doing stuff like that. This upcoming tour isn't going to help either.