✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2-Sep-2009 - Stade de Suisse, Bern, Switz'd - Tickets, Preview, Meetup, Review/Photos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, a great concert! :cool: (Except for the weather maybe..)

I really hope someone recorded it!

Oh, I just discovered that the picture in the 2009 tour programme below the text "the greatest fans in the known universe" was taken from last year's show in the Hallenstadion, recognized a few faces there. :) Damn, just a little bit more to the left... oh well. :\

Coldplay concert in Bern, Switzerland 2.9.09

Thanks for Larry for translating the article with the Will article as I had not been able to start translating it until this morning as something else came up last night.

And I think that you did a really good work - thank you, Larry.

I have the intention of translating some "German" articles from the Swiss media such as the following:

http://www.20min.ch/unterhaltung/sounds/story/Die-Songs-waren-staerker-als-der-Platzregen-20044575

and Tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur (must have a review when it had the Will interview)

and http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region which immediately after the concert ended had very beautiful pictures also seen on this thread. Accompanying the pictures (seen around 23.15 last night) was the headline (translated): "Coldplay rocked the Wankdorf Stadium". :)

Here is the first translation:

http://www.20min.ch/unterhaltung/sounds/story/Die-Songs-waren-staerker-als-der-Platzregen-20044575 /

The songs were stronger than the downpour

by Nina Ladina Kurz / translated by Nancy Boysen

With their «Viva la Vida» world tour, Coldplay stopped off at the sold-out "Stade de Suisse" and offered a typical high-class Coldplay show

Almost one year ago Coldplay played in Zürich at the stadium "Zürcher Hallenstadion" and made their fans enthusiastic. On Wednesday 2 September, 2009 the four British Coldplay members visited Switzerland again - this time they played at the stadium "Stade de Suisse" in the Swiss capital Bern. In spite of the expensive tickets, the stadium was sold-out – and who was ready to spend the money on the expensive tickets was rewarded - in spite of the pouring rain.

Already at the beginning of the concert Coldplay played some of their anthems - hits such as «Violet Hill», «Clocks» and «Yellow». Leadsinger Chris Martin's infectious and like-able way of acting spread fast to the audience. An electronical dub version of «God Put a Smile Upon Your Face» and Martin's solo performance at the piano playing «The Hardest Part» followed. A little past 9.30 pm the concert was interrupted due to the pouring rain – to compensate for this Martin played the next song in the middle of the audience.

Coldplay on their side appeared to be impressed by their Swiss opening band Pegasus: After their gig they found five bottles of champagne in their dressing room – including a "thank you" note by Coldplay .

The next translations to follow.

Stade de Suisse, Wankdorf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Stadium name: Stade de Suisse Wankdorf Bern. Total capacity: 31.783 people

The Stade de Suisse Wankdorf is a football stadium in Bern, Switzerland

Es ist das Stadion des Berner Fussballvereins BSC Young Boys (commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wankdorf_Stadium )

From the above it appears that the total stadium name is Stade de Suisse Wankdorf Bern and home stadium of "BSC Young Boys"

Coldplay Concert in Bern on 2 September, 2009

Tagesanzeiger review of Coldplay Concert in Bern on 2 September 2009

Link: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/pop-und-jazz/Coldplay-und-40000-bange-Blicke-nach-oben/story/30752924

Kreischende Fans , eingängige Melodien und grosse Lichteffekte: Coldplay liefen am Mittwoch im Stade de Suisse zu Hochform auf. Mehr...

Von Marina Bolzli

5 KOMMENTARE

1. Julius König (11:15 Uhr): Eine fantastische liveband mit so unglaublich vielen guten songs dass es einem angst und bange wird. Und doch gebührt dem regen der grösste dank! so gab es trotz stadionkonzert einige magische momente. viva la vida!

2. Cynthia Burch (11:07 Uhr): WELTKLASSE! War einfach nur genial!

3. Manuel Merz (10:06 Uhr) Jau war wirklich mehr als genial. Stimmung, Atmosphäre und Musik einfach nur 1A :)

4. Marco Carullo (09:59 Uhr): Es war einfach ein geniales Konzert und auch der nicht gerade knappe Eintrittspreis hat sich allemal gelohnt - der Regen hat uns zwar zugesetzt....irgendwie sind wir wohl an den One-Way-Pellerinen vorbei geschleust worden ;-L Alles in allem eine tolle Live Band mit Ausdruck und der Fähigkeit das Publikum mitzureissen. Fabulous!

5. Christian Betschart (09:35 Uhr): Das Konzert war der Hammer, der Regen störte kein einziger Zuschauer. Im Gegenteil, die meisten tanzten nur noch mehr als der Regen kam. Ausserdem ist Chris Martin super auf die Situation eingegangen! Die Blitze und der Donner waren zusätzlich eine Show!

TRANSLATION

Review of Coldplay's Concert in Bern on 2 September, 2009 as published in the Swiss Newspaper "Tagesanzeiger"

Link: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/pop-und-jazz/Coldplay-und-40000-bange-Blicke-nach-oben/story/30752924

Screaming fans, catchy melodies and good light effects: Coldplay were tip-top on Wednesday 2 September, 2009 at the stadium "Stade de Suisse".

Von Marina Bolzli / translated by Nancy Boysen

5 COMMENTS

1. Julius König (at 11:15am)

A fantastic liveband with incredibly many good songs. And I want to thank the rain! In this way - in spite of it being a stadium concert - there were some magic moments. Viva la Vida!

2. Cynthia Burch (11:07am) WORLD CLASS! It was simply all amazing / brilliant!

3. Manuel Merz (at 10:06am): Simply brilliant - really tip-top performance. The atmosphere and the music - simply 1A (highest rating).

4. Marco Carullo (at 9:59am): It was simply a brilliant concert, and it was worth the very expensive tickets - but the rain annoyed us. Coldplay is a super liveband with attitude and with the ability to interconnect with the audience and make the audience enthusiastic and happy. Fabulous!

5. Christian Betschart (at 9:35am): The concert was amazing / super, the rain did not bother the audience. On the contrary. Most of those present danced even more as it started to rain. Besides Chris Martin has coped with the situation brilliantly! The lightning and the thunder was an addition to the show / an additional special effect.

Coldplay und 40'000 bange Blicke nach oben

Von Marina Bolzli. Aktualisiert um 09:31 Uhr

Kreischende Fans, eingängige Melodien und grosse Lichteffekte: Coldplay liefen am Mittwoch im Stade de Suisse zu Hochform auf.

Coldplay and 40,000 people looking towards the sky - worried

By Marina Bolzli (updated at 9:31am)

Screaming fans, catchy melodies and good light effects: Coldplay were tip-top on Wednesday 2 September, 2009 at the stadium "Stade de Suisse".

Von Marina Bolzli / translated by Nancy Boysen (more to come later today) :)

Coldplay and 40,000 people looking towards the sky - worried

By Marina Bolzli (updated at 9:31am)

Von Marina Bolzli / translated by Nancy Boysen

40,000 worried looks towards the sky: Is the sky going to keep its promise / is it trustworthy? A clear and dry night. The rain has eased off during the afternoon, the clouds have disappeared as the opening bands are playing and the plastic rain coats distributed at the gates are not used. Everything is fine, because, as soon as it gets dark, the stars, the mobile phone cameras and, of course, Coldplay are going to shine in Stade de Suisse.

Coldplay, they enter the stage running with sparklers while striking up the instrumental song «Life in Technicolor», it goes fast, the fans in the audience are screaming enthusiastically, thousand hands are now clapping along. And then finally, there it is: Chris Martin's unmistakable VOICE. And there HE is. He wears a light blue scarf around his neck what is quite fashionable nowadays, and a motorcycle jacket that seems a little bit old-fashioned, he takes off both the scarf and the jacket later on.

Chris Martin jumps around like a teenager

«Grüezi, hoi zäme», he says, that is sufficient to make the audience go crazy, because the audience sings along to the two greatest catchy Coldplay songs, «Clocks» in the red light, «In My Place» in the blue light. At the time of singing the chorus, noone can be stopped, Chris Martin jumps around like a teenager, standing on a catwalk he allows the audience to get near him, and this incidence is repeated a few times more during the almost two-hour-long concert. Spell-binding. Who can, sings along, who cannot, kisses his girlfriend. Everybody can do something, at least scream.

Coldplay can do much more than that, what they prove once again in Bern. Their atmospheric songs sound professional - immediately like when pushing the button (to switch on the light) in the living room - with the difference that in the living room, there is no charismatic Chris Martin, no perfect choreography and not this brilliantly devised light show. The light which was previously red and blue turns yellow when the song «Yellow» is played, gigantic balloons are floating over the audience, Chris Martin is quite sweaty.

«Billie Jean»

Later the light turns violet, a flashing red light – and Coldplay is playing somewhat more rock and less catchy songs such as «42» off the latest album «Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends». Coldplay have become more versatile and all-round than before, unfortunately – or thank God? – still pleasant and nice.

Only the sky has not kept its promise. A short time before the tribute to Michael Jackson, an acoustic version of «Billie Jean», the sky is "crying" over Bern (pouring rain). But at this time noone needs the stars in the sky, because the stars are standing before us on stage. (Berner Zeitung)

Written: 03.09.2009 at 7:19am / translated in the afternoon

Hey,

I have been to this concert!

We were able to buy tickets at the black market... for less than half the regular price :D

I also filmed a few parts of the concert, but wasn't able to upload the vids to YouTube yet.

Have to say, I didn't mind the rain at all, it was great fun, hehe.

Chris sadly didn't talk so much, but for welcoming he shortly spoke in Swiss German: "Grüezi, alle zämme." Or something like this :lol:

Stade de Suisse // 02.09.2009

Great show in a summer storm !

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxLd5JksF6M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Coldplay - Death Will Never Conquer + Billie Jean - Bern - 02.09.2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZSIJXSbBc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Coldplay - Green Eyes - Bern - 02.09.2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp0AiCTBeCY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Coldplay - Yellow - Bern - 02.09.2009[/ame]

Have they played "High Speed" (from "Parachutes") live lately? Johnny played the guitar riff at the concert in bern & looked at chris. but then they shook heads and continued with "strawberry swing" if I remember correctly =o) :D

Yeah I remember that too. I was with my friend next to the scene & it seemed like if the piano wasn't working or something like that & they then switched on Strawberry Swing. By the Way, the also played a new song while it was raining just before playing "Death will Never Conquer". A nice lil' song I never heard before.

I've found another short interview with Will from Switzerland. It's in German and... surprise surprise... I already translated it! :D Again, sorry for any mistakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germany.gif

"Unsere Songs wirken auch in einem Zimmer"

Interview: Adrian Schräder | Aktualisiert um 16:28 | 02.09.2009

Erfahren Sie, was Will Champion (31), Schlagzeuger von Coldplay, im VIPtalk vor dem heutigen Konzert im Berner Stade de Suisse zu sagen hat.

Coldplay gelten als beste Stadion-Band der Welt. Wie schreibt man Stadion-Songs?

Ich weiss es nicht. Und ich glaube auch nicht, dass man mit dieser Überlegung im Hinterkopf gute Songs schreiben kann. Unsere Songs haben eine spezielle Unmittelbarkeit und einen sehr melodiösen Kern. Sie wirken auch, wenn man sie in einem kleinen Raum am Klavier spielt. Das ist Teil des Geheimnisses, glaube ich.

In letzter Zeit habt ihr immer wieder mit dem legendären englischen Produzenten Brian Eno zusammengearbeitet. Weshalb?

Er hat mit David Bowie, mit den Talking Heads und mit U2 Unglaubliches geleistet. Und dann ist da dieser Mythos, der ihn umgibt. Man weiss nie, was passiert. Wir wollten mit jemandem zusammen­arbeiten, der uns dazu zwingt, uns selber zu hinterfragen.

Eno hat eine spezielle Methode: Er lässt die Musiker Karten ziehen, auf denen Anweisungen stehen. Was steht da zum Beispiel drauf?

Da steht «Mach eine Pause!» oder «Spiel alles rückwärts!» drauf. Manche der Anweisungen sind klar und deutlich, manche eher kryptisch. Einmal habe ich eine Karte gezogen, auf der stand: «Verschaff der Struktur etwas Erleichterung». Ich war ziemlich ratlos.

Bei Coldplay steht Chris Martin klar im Vordergrund. Braucht jede Band einen Leader?

Man muss die Kompetenzen klären. Wir haben diese Probleme schon vor langer Zeit gelöst. Früher kam Chris oft mit fixfertigen Songs an, die uns kaum Platz liessen, um unsere Ideen einzubringen. Heute tragen wir alle unseren Teil bei.

http://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/musik/unsere-songs-wirken-auch-in-einem-zimmer-127577

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

United%20Kingdom.gif

"Our songs work in a room as well"

Interview: Adrian Schräder | Updated at 04:28pm | 02.09.2009

Find out what Will Champion (31), the drummer of Coldplay, has to say in VIPtalk before today's concert at the Stade de Suisse in Bern.

Coldplay are suggested to be the best stadium band in the world. How to write stadium songs?

I don't know. And I don't believe that you can write good songs with this consideration at the back of the mind. Our songs have a special immediacy and a very melodic core. They work as well when you play them in a small room at the piano. This is a part of the mystery I think.

Lately you've always worked with the legendary British producer Brian Eno. Why?

He has done incredible things with David Bowie, the Talking Heads and U2. And then there is this myth which surrounds him. You never know what happens. We wanted to work with someone who forces us to question ourselves.

Eno has a special method: He let musicians draw cards which have instructions. What was written on it for example?

It says "take a break!" or "play everything backwards!". Some of the instructions are clear, some rather cryptic. Once I drew a card saying: "give the structure some relief." I was quite perplexed.

Chris Martin is always clearly in the foreground. Does every band need a leader?

You have to clarify the responsibilities. We've solved these problems long ago. Previously Chris often came in with ready-made songs which barely left room for us to bring in our ideas. Today we all contribute our part.

http://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/musik/unsere-songs-wirken-auch-in-einem-zimmer-127577

Stade de Suisse, Wankdorf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Stadium name: Stade de Suisse Wankdorf Bern. Total capacity: 31.783 people

The Stade de Suisse Wankdorf is a football stadium in Bern, Switzerland

Es ist das Stadion des Berner Fussballvereins BSC Young Boys (commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wankdorf_Stadium )

From the above it appears that the total stadium name is Stade de Suisse Wankdorf Bern and home stadium of "BSC Young Boys"

Yep. Young Boy's stadium was called 'Wankdorf' before it was was rebuilt for the European Championship. It's now called 'Stade de Suisse'

Bern thread

I've found another short interview with Will from Switzerland. It's in German and... surprise surprise... I already translated it! :D Again, sorry for any mistakes.

Hallo Larry,

Thank for the article and the translation. Again you have done a very good job - well done. And I have the feeling that you have a good time doing it, right!

Wirklich prima - prima aus Deutschland! Danke - gute Übersetzung! :)

Hallo Larry,

Thank for the article and the translation. Again you have done a very good job - well done. And I have the feeling that you have a good time doing it, right!

Wirklich prima - prima aus Deutschland! Danke - gute Übersetzung! :)

Thanks! I like all your translations too! Wish to speak as much languages as you do though! :D