✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Confirmed Australian Tour: Feb/March 2009

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot response to Coldplay no show

Sign the petition here

Coldplay might be giving Adelaide the cold shoulder on its 2009 tour, but plenty of 'AdelaideNow' readers are warming to our petition to change the band's mind, report news.com.au.

Since last Sunday more than 1000 people have signed our online petition to bring the English supergroup to Adelaide. The response comes after last week's announcement that the band would not include South Australia in its 2009 tour.

Instead, Coldplay will only play dates in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne when they visit in February and March. A schedule clash with High School Musical Live, on at the Entertainment Centre from February 28 to March 8, means the band could only play in Adelaide after its final Australian concert in Sydney on March 12. But a spokeswoman for touring company Chugg Entertainment said there were no plans to add Adelaide to Coldplay's schedule, despite the band playing the Entertainment Centre on its 2006 tour.

Readers on the AdelaideNow messageboards were irate when the Sunday Mail broke the news last week. "I go to plenty of concerts each year, but I can't be the only one buying tickets. I can't go interstate to see them. It is a shame but, hopefully, signing the petition will work," wrote Carl of Prospect. "This honestly breaks my heart! My fav band and have been for 10 years. I'll be in Melbourne without a doubt," wrote Nick of Henley.

But not everyone was convinced a petition was worth the effort. "Is there a petition I can sign to keep them OUT of Adelaide?" wrote Bianca of Adelaide. Facebook users have also come out in support of the petition, with a "Bring Coldplay to Adelaide" group attracting more than 800 members.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,24725057-2682,00.html

Stars axe tours as dollar drops

SUPERSTARS Madonna, Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney have scrapped Australian tour plans due to the weak dollar.

Madonna had agreed to multiple dates at Docklands Stadium in late January.

Tickets for her shows, presented by US tour giant Live Nation and local promoter Michael Coppel, were due to go on sale two weeks ago.

Madonna planned to charge a top price of $400.

"It got as close as anything ever gets," a tour industry source said.

"Madonna was coming to Australia, the dates were resolved, but then the economics got in the way."

Mr Coppel yesterday confirmed the Madonna deal, but refused to elaborate.

It adds to a growing list of tour plans postponed by the world's biggest stars.

Concert industry sources say Diamond, McCartney, The Eagles, Green Day and Metallica have put visits on hold because of the weak economy. Promoter Michael Chugg said: "It's unknown territory at the moment. A lot of tours went on sale before the dollar crashed.

"I think we are only starting to see the affect of the economy on the tour industry."

Mr Coppel said the weak dollar had made promoters, and touring stars, cautious.

"Everyone is feeling their way," he said.

"The risk level has gone up substantially for US-based acts because our dollar is 35 per cent down from where it was three months ago.

"A lot of us have been caught out on deals that don't make any sense. You can sell out a tour and still lose a seven-figure sum."

There are exceptions.

Mr Chugg, promoting Coldplay in March, said the right acts would always do well.

Mr Coppel is also promoting US singer Pink, who has broken box office records and has 11 nights at Rod Laver Arena.

But he warned the weak dollar and exchange rate would push ticket prices up.

Madonna last visited Australia in 1993 and has bypassed the country with each subsequent tour.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24728597-5012974,00.html

a third sydney show has been added:

After selling out their pre-sale allocation in a day, Coldplay have announced a third Sydney show for Acer Arena on March 14.

General tickets for the March 11, 12 and 14 shows go on sale through Ticketek (132849) on Thursday.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24726424-5009160,00.html

a third sydney show has been added:

After selling out their pre-sale allocation in a day, Coldplay have announced a third Sydney show for Acer Arena on March 14.

General tickets for the March 11, 12 and 14 shows go on sale through Ticketek (132849) on Thursday.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24726424-5009160,00.html

Saturday!!! :stunned:

Awww I can't make it for another show :bigcry:

why not? :bigcry: try to do it :bigcry:

It's impossible, I can't take so many days off work :bigcry:

At the moment I'm taking 4 days off, which is stretching it already. With a Saturday show, I would need to take 6 :stunned:

Also, I don't have enough money to buy more tickets :P

Awww but actually 2 concerts in a foreign land are more than I ever have hoped for! :\