🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day of upsets, Wozzi gone and sadly Stosur and Goerges.

Surprised to see Kanye West sitting in Djokovic's box in the match against Del Potro.

Maybe someone had told him DJ Okovic was playing a "set"...................... :rolleyes:

Major shock in Paris as world No 1 Wozniacki crashes out of French Open in third round

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:07 PM on 27th May 2011

The shocks continued at the French Openon Friday as world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki crashed out in the third round with a 6-1 6-3 defeat by Daniela Hantuchova.

In the last 24 hours, second seed Kim Clijsters threw away a winning position against little-known Dutchwoman Arantxa Rus while last year's finalist Samantha Stosur was beaten by Gisela Dulko.

article-0-0C4C80E200000578-899_634x407.jpg Two sides to every story: Caroline Wozniacki (right) shakes hands with Daniela Hantuchova after the match

And now came this match on Court Suzanne Lenglen, which was reminiscent of last year's fourth-round clash at Wimbledon, where Wozniacki was thumped 6-2 6-0 by Petra Kvitova, and again showed the Dane has some way to go if she is really to be considered the best player in the world.

The top seed won her first clay-court event in Brussels last weekend but she is clearly not entirely at home on the surface and was unconvincing in beating near namesake Aleksandra Wozniak in the second round on Wednesday.

article-0-0C4C754E00000578-555_634x436.jpg Full stretch: Wozniacki was made to work extremely hard in Paris

article-0-0C4C75C300000578-317_306x349.jpg Pure delight: Hantuchova celebrates victory

The Canadian failed to take advantage but Hantuchova, 28, gave the impression early on that she would not let Wozniacki off the hook so easily.

The experienced Slovakian was the one prepared to go for winners, and she was making them. In no time she had broken the Dane's serve twice and she wrapped up a first set in which her opponent did not hit a single winner inside half an hour.

Wozniacki, who relies on consistency and great movement, really was playing very poorly and Hantuchova continued her onslaught at the start of the second set, breaking twice to open up a 4-0 lead.

The 28th seed, who had not taken a set off Wozniacki in three previous meetings, has a reputation for imploding in big matches and the alarm bells were ringing when she lost three games in a row.

But for once Hantuchova held her nerve, continuing to go for her shots, and a netted backhand from Wozniacki sealed her fate.

I guess my tennis knowledge goes back a few years (Even Djokovic who seems to be obliterating Nadal lately is a surprise) its really surprising to see Wozniacki at the top, did she win some slams or anything?

I guess my tennis knowledge goes back a few years (Even Djokovic who seems to be obliterating Nadal lately is a surprise) its really surprising to see Wozniacki at the top, did she win some slams or anything?

No, but quite a few of the other tournaments. There's been a bit of a lack of consistent competition recently, though.

Thankfully it looks like Sharapova is nearly back to her best, at least.

Thankfully it looks like Sharapova is nearly back to her best, at least.

Roland Garros is the one Grand Slam title still missing. She's good enough and imo she deserves to win. Or maybe Schiavone does it again. :rolleyes:

Ankle injury threatens to end Murray's promising French Open campaign

By Chris Power

Last updated at 10:11 PM on 28th May 2011

The fates have offered Andy Murray a benign draw at the French Open this year, but after an afternoon of drama at Roland Garros there are major doubts whether he will be able to take advantage of it.

The world No4 will be anxiously assessing the state of his right ankle today after badly rolling on it during his third-round match against Germany’s Michael Berrer and bravely battling through after extensive oncourt treatment.

The 24-year-old Scot had reason to be grateful for the charity offered to him by the German, who was unable to take advantage of his lack of mobility in allowing him to complete a 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 victory.

article-0-0C4F018200000578-819_634x390.jpg Agony: Andy Murray went over on his right ankle while leading 2-1 in the second set

Walking with a slight limp afterwards, Murray was expected to undergo a scan and have lengthy ice packing in his bid to take his place in tomorrow’s fourth round match against Serbia’s Viktor Troicki.

The Scot’s whole participation, and the effectiveness of it, will depend on how his body reacts to the unfortunate slip that happened when he led his journeyman opponent 6-1, 2-1. After the match he was ferried back to the main player complex by golf cart.

‘It was very sore, and it’s very sore afterwards,’ he said. ‘I will try and practise tomorrow but I don’t know if I will be playing the next match, or if I will be 100 per cent fit. I’ve never had a problem with my right ankle in my life.’

Berrer was angry with himself for not capitalising more on his opponent’s discomfort and spoke more lyrically about his failure to run Murray more around the court.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1391828/FRENCH-OPEN-2011-Andy-Murray-overcomes-ankle-injury-blitz-Michael-Berrer.html#ixzz1NhCeHzVy

I seriously want to see a brand new Grand Slam winner on the women's side. :|

Or perhaps the men's side as well, but it is pretty much impossible with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer around. :|

I would want to smack Fabio Fognini in the head if i could what a cheating scumbag.

Serving to stay in the match 30-15 down he gets cramps and claims to the umpire its and injury so that he can take a medical time out when he knows you can't get treatment from cramps.