✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

06-Aug-09: Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setl

HOLYCRAPITWASAMAZING

I saw Hoppy and said Hi to him and he winked at us!

I got really close to them when they were on c-stage, I couldnt stop screaming:D

I really put my vocal cords to the test ....

Elbow is a lot better live :) I picked up a ton of butterfly confetti towards the end and I got a tour shirt. This drunk guy started crying during Fix You, it was great :D

Yeah-before Chris said his goodbyes some people started to leave and then they played The Scientist and LiTii but I was almost too tired to sing along

I was suprised at how good the Billie Jean cover was! I got a good video- I might upload it on youtube later

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha Josh. All the teens at the Cstage. It was hilarious. I'll get some pictures up soon. (Josh were you one of the dudes in front of me making out with your girl the whole time...haha)

After the guys left there was this older lady standing behind me crying...she was like "i love you chris...i love you" it was amazing.

More later...i'm trying to finish a writing project.

Oh and there had to be more coldplayers there. I was taking pictures of Hoppy getting the Cstage ready when this group of 3 teen girls came up next to me and started yelling "hoppy! hoppy!" It was great.

You could tell he was thinking "I'm the coolest guitar tech in the world."

the girls yelling hoppy were me and my friends! hahahaha

Josh, trust me, you're not the only one who feels stupid for giving up the open space by the tent. My group got there around 6:50 and that space was still there, but the tent blocked the view of the stage, so we moved camp.

Here is my review, in which I tried to touch on slightly different aspects than in Josh's thorough review so as not to be repetitive:

My group got a decent lawn seat – for an idea of where, it was essentially the mirror image of where Coldplay showed up on the other side of the lawn. This is the only Coldplay concert I’ve been too, but it certainly felt like they had nailed a routine and knew how to go through the motions without seeming stale. I was surprised at how few people vocally recognized songs like Yellow, 42, In My Place, and even Billie Jean (my friend, who knew all the other songs they played, asked me if it was a “B-side or something”). Songs like The Scientist, Lovers In Japan, and Viva La Vida (no surprise there) were the ones that got the loudest immediate reaction. This led me to think that most of the people at this show were not like my friends and I, who had heard every album track and then some, and instead were people who probably had a couple favorites on their iPod and didn’t know the rest. Glass Of Water got virtually no reaction when they started it up.

As for the quality of the actual playing, the band was great, but that’s to be expected. Chris actually hit some blatantly wrong notes on the piano a handful of times (not “jazzy” or “experimental”; his hand slipped or something), but nobody seemed to care. His voice was especially strong, considering how weak it always sounded to me in the live recordings I have. The other band members were totally solid, and I loved Chris’ apparent adoration for Will. One of the best moments was a partially improvised shanty during the acoustic lawn set where Chris threw out lines like “When you’ve been on this leg of the tour since June / It’s nice to play in Raleigh, North Carolina, under the full moon” (big reaction) and “We’ve gotta play the show for the girls and boys / ‘Cause we hear those people in Raleigh make a lot of f---ing noise” (bigger reaction).

Overall, it was great to observe how hard the band works to please its audience, with the confetti and balloons and the lawn set (Green Eyes was sublime). On an incredibly specific note, I loved it when Johnny took care of the ending of Cemeteries Of London (playing the little piano riff on his guitar).

As for the opening bands, I was thoroughly impressed by Elbow, and will probably buy some of their material based just on how well they played. Kitty, Daisy, and Louis were nigh on unbearable by the end of the set by virtue of how similar all of their material sounded, no matter how talented they might have been (My friend nicknamed them Diarrhea because, in his words, “They sound like sh--”). However, they provided one of my favorite moments of the concert when they introduced their Jamaican guest player. He yelled “Ya!” into the microphone, and the crowd reciprocated. He followed up with “Ya ya!” and the crowd followed suit. He finished with “Ya ya yaaaaaaaaaaa!”, dragging out the last “Ya” and making his voice lower and more intense as the band started up. It was an epic introduction and, for a moment, made me think the band was about to play something interesting. Then Mr. Jamaica whips out his trumpet and launches into the corniest song of the whole set. I almost cried laughing. Also memorable was when, in the last song, they repeated the same bar of music for a minute and a half. It literally sounded like a CD was skipping. The crowd applauded when they finally broke off.

Great show, and will always be a great memory.

The concert was fabolous as usual! Not really big into writing reviews in all but...I was in the PIT which is always amazing! I got in line around 5, which I noticed was a bit too late, but my little brother walked up about 30 feet and got us a closer place in line hahaha. Then we ran to the PIT and secured the first row in front of Chris/Jonny. During the middle of Green Eyes, these 2 girls came and squeezed their way right in the front next to me and it kind of pissed me off, plus they were talking to me during the songs and trying to hold a convo which was a no no:thinking:. I thought Chris was pretty electric tonight. Everything was great! EXcpet for leaving the theater, but Im in the hotel about to head to Charlotte for tonights show!

But I thought they were better when I saw them last in Raleigh, in 2005. The B and C stage concept is cool but God Put A Smile/Talk feel like filler songs, Green Eyes/Death feel way too short, and with all the time it takes to get between each stage - I'd rather them just stay on the main stage and play 2 or 3 more full songs. Billie Jean was pretty cool though, I must say.

Some of the songs didn't translate live as well as I'd hoped - Lost, Strawberry Swing, Glass of Water in particular. And even though they played for almost 2 hours, it felt like a short concert because of the already mentioned time in between stage changes, and how the setlist was so planned, songs never really ended... they just kind of went right into another.

Heh I really disagree with you saying Coldplay has any "filler" songs. Their set list is extremely selective, considering how most Coldplay fans have 10 or so songs that they wish they'd play. Glass of Water and Lost! don't translate well live? I guess that's just your opinion, but my feeling is that both of those songs are way better than they are in the studio (I hate the studio version of Lost!). Thanks for the review.

Josh, trust me, you're not the only one who feels stupid for giving up the open space by the tent. My group got there around 6:50 and that space was still there, but the tent blocked the view of the stage, so we moved camp.

Here is my review, in which I tried to touch on slightly different aspects than in Josh's thorough review so as not to be repetitive:

My group got a decent lawn seat – for an idea of where, it was essentially the mirror image of where Coldplay showed up on the other side of the lawn. This is the only Coldplay concert I’ve been too, but it certainly felt like they had nailed a routine and knew how to go through the motions without seeming stale. I was surprised at how few people vocally recognized songs like Yellow, 42, In My Place, and even Billie Jean (my friend, who knew all the other songs they played, asked me if it was a “B-side or something”). Songs like The Scientist, Lovers In Japan, and Viva La Vida (no surprise there) were the ones that got the loudest immediate reaction. This led me to think that most of the people at this show were not like my friends and I, who had heard every album track and then some, and instead were people who probably had a couple favorites on their iPod and didn’t know the rest. Glass Of Water got virtually no reaction when they started it up.

I was at the mirror image of the c stage too! :cool: I was so ticked when Chris had to tell everyone the lyrics to Yellow so they could sing along. Thanks for the review.

^ i have the same shirt as you :smug2:

COOL STORY BRO :thumbsup:

Heh I really disagree with you saying Coldplay has any "filler" songs. Their set list is extremely selective, considering how most Coldplay fans have 10 or so songs that they wish they'd play. Glass of Water and Lost! don't translate well live? I guess that's just your opinion, but my feeling is that both of those songs are way better than they are in the studio (I hate the studio version of Lost!). Thanks for the review.

The studio (and the previous live) versions of God Put a Smile/Talk are great and were definitely not "filler" songs on their respective albums or previous live shows. I was saying these new techno/shortened B-stage versions feel like filler songs because they're harder to sing along to, they're a lot noisier (and "techno" which just isn't Coldplay), and obviously because they're shorter. If they had just stayed on the main stage and played the full versions of each, they would have been better, is all I'm saying.

When I said Glass of Water, Strawberry Swing, and Lost! (I should have added Violet Hill to this list) didn't translate well live, I wasn't talking about the song quality, I thought they were all great. It was just obvious they were not fan favorites for whatever reason and I could have told you that before the show (maybe not Violet Hill, I was a little surprised that one fell a little flat with the crowd) - why not Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, Trouble, Amsterdam? Those are guaranteed fan favorites... and all fantastic live songs.

I understand playing new material but if you treat Prospekt's March and Viva La Vida as a double album (which they pretty much are) take away Lost+ and LIJ remix because those aren't new - they played 12 of the 16 songs... which was also over half of the concert. Maybe I'm biased because I love Parachutes so much and I pretty much like the albums in order in the way they were released except I'd put VLV ahead of X&Y, but still... seems like a bit overkill to me. And it kind of feels like you're forgetting the older fans a bit too if you're catering to the new fans so much. And with Glass of Water and Strawberry Swing especially, the new songs weren't exactly exciting to the newer fans anyways.

I don't want to become one of those fans who is never happy with a setlist just because there was an exact list of songs that I wanted to be played and if they're not, then I'm pissed - I've seen way too much of that with hardcore U2 fans and it kind of takes the fun away from seeing a band if all you're concerned about is what songs they did or didn't play. So don't get me wrong, I loved the concert last night and I thought it was very entertaining, I just wanted to give a little different perspective other than how close I was to touching Chris or if I got a setlist from a roadie or not. I just also wanted to point out to the new fans who just made it to their first show - that as amazing as they were last night, they actually can be even better! Anybody else that went to 2005 as well have a comparison between the two? I'd love to hear it.

The studio (and the previous live) versions of God Put a Smile/Talk are great and were definitely not "filler" songs on their respective albums or previous live shows. I was saying these new techno/shortened B-stage versions feel like filler songs because they're harder to sing along to, they're a lot noisier (and "techno" which just isn't Coldplay), and obviously because they're shorter. If they had just stayed on the main stage and played the full versions of each, they would have been better, is all I'm saying.

When I said Glass of Water, Strawberry Swing, and Lost! (I should have added Violet Hill to this list) didn't translate well live, I wasn't talking about the song quality, I thought they were all great. It was just obvious they were not fan favorites for whatever reason and I could have told you that before the show (maybe not Violet Hill, I was a little surprised that one fell a little flat with the crowd) - why not Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, Trouble, Amsterdam? Those are guaranteed fan favorites... and all fantastic live songs.

I understand playing new material but if you treat Prospekt's March and Viva La Vida as a double album (which they pretty much are) take away Lost+ and LIJ remix because those aren't new - they played 12 of the 16 songs... which was also over half of the concert. Maybe I'm biased because I love Parachutes so much and I pretty much like the albums in order in the way they were released except I'd put VLV ahead of X&Y, but still... seems like a bit overkill to me. And it kind of feels like you're forgetting the older fans a bit too if you're catering to the new fans so much. And with Glass of Water and Strawberry Swing especially, the new songs weren't exactly exciting to the newer fans anyways.

I don't want to become one of those fans who is never happy with a setlist just because there was an exact list of songs that I wanted to be played and if they're not, then I'm pissed - I've seen way too much of that with hardcore U2 fans and it kind of takes the fun away from seeing a band if all you're concerned about is what songs they did or didn't play. So don't get me wrong, I loved the concert last night and I thought it was very entertaining, I just wanted to give a little different perspective other than how close I was to touching Chris or if I got a setlist from a roadie or not. I just also wanted to point out to the new fans who just made it to their first show - that as amazing as they were last night, they actually can be even better! Anybody else that went to 2005 as well have a comparison between the two? I'd love to hear it.

I haven't seen them before but I guess what you mean is that you miss that goosebumps feeling??

The concert is more a "party" at the moment.

I am not good at finding the appropriate words but I like what you have written.

I really really like the remix versions they do at the B-stage and even wish they were longer - but I like electro :)

Parachutes and X&Y are my favourite albums and I wish I would have seen one of their earlier concerts... and experience the feelings everybody's talking about.

I smiled when I read your comment about "wheter someone touched Chris or got a setlist" - that is awesome and worth telling & sharing in my opinion but I also understand your point that you want to discuss the artistic side!!

Violet Hill maybe didn't get such a good reaction because people needed more time to get into it that the concert has started now?

Like I said - I can't find good words so I better stop but I wanted to reply to you! :)

And Josh - I agree: When you compare the Lost! live version to the album version, the song appears so pale on the album.

I'm listening to live recordings most of the time anyways...

THAT WAS SO AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC! :bomb::bomb:

i didn't think i could possibly love coldplay any more but after that i really do! they were phenominal! ahhhh i basically had a huge 2 hour spaz attack. it was so great. :D

Oh and there had to be more coldplayers there. I was taking pictures of Hoppy getting the Cstage ready when this group of 3 teen girls came up next to me and started yelling "hoppy! hoppy!" It was great.

You could tell he was thinking "I'm the coolest guitar tech in the world."

:lol::lol: that was me! i was the one in the purple :) he winked at us and i felt so special! :P i then went back to my seat and texted Amy (BerrymanGirl1) to brag :laugh3: i should add that to the "you know youre addicted..." thread. :thinking:

lets see, lets see. what else to say...

okay the mad dash to c-stage was INSANE. i dropped my wallet and my cell phone on the way there but fortunately i got them back no damage done. :)

i have a few videos but i'm sure if i wanna post them. they're pretty embarassing hahaha :embarassed: they contain lots of "CHRISSSSSS!"s and some horrible singing. :rolleyes:

the crowd was better than i thought it would be and as a whole it was really good but i got stuck by some pretty unenthusiastic people. :blank: they were hardly singing or anything and here we are screaming our heads off. they probably hated us but i don't care. :shrug:

i kind of wish i had taken more pictures but they just really weren't turning out well and i didnt wanna see the concert from behind a camera so sorry about the lack of pictures. :\

all i can say is that Coldplay sure do know how to put on a show! the music was brilliant (as usual) and they just have so much charisma. :wacky:

i'm not gonna keep rambling, everyone else pretty much said it all. :P

THAT WAS SO AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC! :bomb::bomb:

i didn't think i could possibly love coldplay any more but after that i really do! they were phenominal! ahhhh i basically had a huge 2 hour spaz attack. it was so great. :D

:lol::lol: that was me! i was the one in the purple :) he winked at us and i felt so special! :P i then went back to my seat and texted Amy (BerrymanGirl1) to brag :laugh3: i should add that to the "you know youre addicted..." thread. :thinking:

lets see, lets see. what else to say...

okay the mad dash to c-stage was INSANE. i dropped my wallet and my cell phone on the way there but fortunately i got them back no damage done. :)

i have a few videos but i'm sure if i wanna post them. they're pretty embarassing hahaha :embarassed: they contain lots of "CHRISSSSSS!"s and some horrible singing. :rolleyes:

the crowd was better than i thought it would be and as a whole it was really good but i got stuck by some pretty unenthusiastic people. :blank: they were hardly singing or anything and here we are screaming our heads off. they probably hated us but i don't care. :shrug:

i kind of wish i had taken more pictures but they just really weren't turning out well and i didnt wanna see the concert from behind a camera so sorry about the lack of pictures. :\

all i can say is that Coldplay sure do know how to put on a show! the music was brilliant (as usual) and they just have so much charisma. :wacky:

i'm not gonna keep rambling, everyone else pretty much said it all. :P

haha I had a suspicion that was you. I was the dude that said "hoppy's the man isn't he?" I'm going to upload the pics here in a a bit. a few of them turned out great.

I wish my stupid camera would take video clips longer than 15 seconds. I've got a good one though of green eyes.

haha I had a suspicion that was you. I was the dude that said "hoppy's the man isn't he?" I'm going to upload the pics here in a a bit. a few of them turned out great.

I wish my stupid camera would take video clips longer than 15 seconds. I've got a good one though of green eyes.

:lol: really?! hahaha i talked to you in real life without even knowing it! thats crazy! :P

yeah cause you were like, "hoppy's the man!"

and i was like, "yeah he is!"

hahaha thats awesome! :D

First off I agree with whoever said his voice sounded a slight bit nasaly - I was thinking either cold or just maybe a bit tired, but it was only noticable in the beginning to me.

I also think that the Talk/GPASUYF remix sounded great, just.. I dunno. It kinda didn't work right the way they combined them for me. I also think Violet Hill was a little off, but all the rest were brilliant! Strawberry Swing is a favorite of my girlfriend and I and we both thought it completely came alive in person! It sounded much more full than the studio version - same for Lost! It didn't sound as planned out and to me, it flowed better than it does on the CD. To be honest though, at least from where I was (left stage, about middleways back), I don't get what you mean by the crowd not getting into them? I was really surprised by how many people sang along and were enjoying all the songs - even the non-singles. I LOVE Leftrightleftrightleft - I held off on downloading it so I wouldn't spoil the surprise of the live songs - but it's so cool having that as a memory of how great the concert was.

I have many pictures and videos, but I'm not sure if I'll post them or not - the videos are half of songs in most cases - I didn't want to watch all of them through the lens! I'm also not so sure how good the quality is lol..

My girlfriend and I also both thought Elbow were better live - she doesn't even like them in the studio - but Grounds for Divorce and One Day Like This were AMAZING! Looooved the effects on the GFD breakdowns!

But the one thing this concert made me feel over anything else is that Coldplay's way more fun to see live than a lot of other bands out there - and I'm going to try and get to at least one of their shows a year from now on if they're around!

The programs are amazing btw - I felt a lot better spending $20 on one of those than I did the $40 for the shirts haha..

Yea, I agree that I'd rather hear the real versions of GPASUYF and Talk, but that's just Coldplay trying to shake things up a bit. I think without the b stage the concert would get a little too repetitive, one song after another. It's sort of a "break". Yea, I'd love to hear more from the earlier albums, but the boys themselves said they're just tired of playing those songs for so long.

I don't care if I look like a fool, I sing along to EVERY song, even when no one around me knows them. :D IMO the crowd was weak as a whole. The concerts I went to at the Verizon Center had better crowds.

haha yeah me too. like Glass of Water... nobody around me knew it but i was singing really loud :D

i think the reason why i liked the crowd was because it exceeded my expectations. i thought it was going to suck since there weren't many coldplayers going but it actually wasnt bad. :)