✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

06-Aug-09: Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Coldplay concert. I've never known excitement like this.

I'm in the lawn.

Best birthday gift ever. What time is everyone getting there?

I'm leaving Maryland really early in the morning...like 7 or 8...and hopefully getting there around 3 or so

I was going to go to this, but I can't afford to drive there or get tickets. For whoever posts a set list, its pretty obvious that Billie Jean is part of the set list now, so there is no point in people saying "Oh, well, Billie Jean replaced I'm A Believer again" because its been over a month now...Of course, I'm sure there will be some smart ass that will do it now, but I'm just voicing my opinion.

Personally, I'm kinda bummed that they haven't changed the set list. I mean if I went, The only new song would be Billie Jean for me, all the rest is the same. I love Coldplay to death, but come on now, they have alot of other great hits that aren't being played, and they could switch a few songs up here and there from time to time. Them not changing the set list kinda helps with the pain in not going, but at the same time....

I was going to go to this, but I can't afford to drive there or get tickets. For whoever posts a set list, its pretty obvious that Billie Jean is part of the set list now, so there is no point in people saying "Oh, well, Billie Jean replaced I'm A Believer again" because its been over a month now...Of course, I'm sure there will be some smart ass that will do it now, but I'm just voicing my opinion.

Personally, I'm kinda bummed that they haven't changed the set list. I mean if I went, The only new song would be Billie Jean for me, all the rest is the same. I love Coldplay to death, but come on now, they have alot of other great hits that aren't being played, and they could switch a few songs up here and there from time to time. Them not changing the set list kinda helps with the pain in not going, but at the same time....

I've been preaching this for a while now. I last saw them in October and it was still the same, save for one or two songs.

when you get inside, run like hell to get next to C-stage. It should be covered with a blue tarp, and have a few empty guitar stands set up, and surrounded by security. :)

Okay I'm sorry but this must be nominated for the most ignorant post of the year.

Unless you decide to edit it.

Do you realize that people who truly love coldplay already KNOW this and now you just gave ideas to all the people that just decided to go to the concert because it's a night in town, who don't even really give a fuck about who coldplay are or those people who heard one song on the radio and claim to be their greatest fans?-_-

I am ready for tomorrow. 3 concerts in 4 days as I am going to take in Charlotte and Tampa shows too. I have lawn seats for Raleigh, I have been to a few other shows on this tour but we had covered seats each time. I want to get close to the C-stage but I see the Time Warner pavilion has a “family section”. Will the C-stage already be setup when the doors open and what is my best beat for getting close to it? Anyone know if it will be in the family section?

TOMORROW.

I have a lawn seat, but I'm trying to sell my lawn ticket and get a pit ticket. This'll be my fifth time seeing Coldplay and I've yet to see them up close. Can anyone help me out?

YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM UP CLOSE! I wish I could help you out...check stubhub and craigslist for single pit tickets

Wow. We've got some..uhh...interesting conversations going on here. I'm simply going to say that I will see you all tomorrow and that if you want free glow bracelets...I'll be somewhere in the lawn. I'll probably be handing them out after Elbow. I've got 150 of them. Safe travels, everyone! :D

How Coldplay became the first band to beat the digital deficit

8.5-musicfeat2-coldplay.gif

If Coldplay were stranded on the side of the road, they would tweet about it. And you'd pick them up, right?

One (million): A little indie, a lotta major

Coldplay is the biggest rock band on the planet by almost every rubric: The polite English quartet's latest record—the misty, Brian Eno-helmed Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends—sold more than 700,000 copies in its first week as other respectable rock acts struggle to crack half that. 2008's best seller, Viva La Vida has since been certified double platinum in the States while moving nearly 8 million copies worldwide. And now, the band is in the midst of a string of 30 dates at North America's biggest venues. When they return to Europe, the king of hip-hop, Jay-Z, will open for Coldplay for two days at Wembley Stadium. Impressed yet?

Perhaps the most compelling distinction Chris Martin and company can claim is that they're the first band to break the million mark in digital album sales. In other words, they're the Internet Music Kings. Billboard hooted and hollered about the broken record last month, and music trade magazines groveled. Indeed, in a market where selling 50,000 records seems to be the new 500,000, it's instructive to consider why a little band from London changed the rules of digital success.

The short answer is Apple. Last year, iTunes' parent company launched a full-scale ad campaign for its latest software in conjunction with the release of Viva La Vida. Coldplay got the whole shebang: full pages in glossies, billboards in every major market, that ubiquitous commercial featuring the band emphatically playing through the title track as colorful, iTrademark silhouettes. But Apple didn't pick Coldplay out of the ether. Rather, its always-shrewd marketing and advertising department chose Coldplay to carry the banner for very specific reasons. And so, the short answer falls short.

First, Coldplay represents the evenly distributed weight of the past 30 years of serious rock music. When they emerged with 2000's Parachutes and its slow-[e]mo "Yellow" video, the band was fairly pegged as Radiohead biters. Then, with 2002's A Rush of Blood To The Head and 2005's X&Y, Martin and company dug further into the past and deeper into the crate, cribbing from the romantic melancholy of Echo & the Bunnymen and the stateliness of U2. In each instance, the reference points were sanded down to their least threatening iteration. Coldplay has always has been about safety and familiarity. The band, its music and its lyrics are made for easy connections. Despite insistence to the contrary, there's only a small bit of art here. It's mostly a commodity.

To be fair, the 1.4 million online shoppers who've snatched up Coldplay records over the past eight years have likely done so as a result of their connection with Martin and the bouquet of his weepy falsetto and plaintive lyrics (and some tertiary tabloid appearances and some activism, for good measure). The front man/ mouthpiece/ figurehead focus allows "serious" rock fans to entertain the notion that they're listening to more than a singer-songwriter, even as the lights go down and Martin sits alone at his piano, spotlight on nothing else.

That's not to take too much away from the surrounding players: Jonny Buckland's dry guitar leads peak in moments of Edge-like melodrama. Guy Berryman anchors the era-spanning bombast with simple, direct bass lines, inspecting the rhythm alongside Will Champion's no-frills timekeeping. This offers the perfect support for the perfect heir to Bono's throne, each member getting out of the way while fans foster a deep connection with Messiah Martin. But that's not enough to explain Coldplay's electronic eminence. Plenty of acts have emblematic figureheads, after all.

Couple Martin and the band's familiarity with the momentum Coldplay creates for itself online, and we begin to understand the figures. Last year, Coldplay gave away a free download of the first promotional track from Viva. Most major labels and, by proxy, their bands still curse leaks and keep their content under lock and key (an idea that's slowly yielding). In May, Coldplay unveiled a free live album for download on its Web site. And the band and its crew regularly post behind-the-scenes vignettes, allowing a level of constant access that fans increasingly demand in a world of Twitter accounts and RSS feeds.

The drawback, of course, is that the construct of "band" is no longer restricted to albums and live shows. Coldplay is now a full-scale, 24-hour enterprise, churning out backstage content and general ephemera (set lists, song ideas, an "Oracle" you can question) at a furious clip. The mass of "stuff" saps some of the magic and mystery from the old idea of a rock star. But it's the way the band negotiates around that falling barrier—never half-assing it, fully embracing even the tiniest online initiatives (really, a blog at every tour stop?)—that turns that lost mystique into a net positive. In short, Coldplay rewards its following (specifically online), and its online following has repaid the band handsomely.

It's important to note, though, that Coldplay is not trailblazing with these techniques. Established titans have been experimenting with similar or even more radical lab tests for releasing music for years. Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor has given away actual studio releases and turned his Web site into a social media hub. Radiohead forwent pricing and adopted the ballyhooed pay-what-you-want model for its most recent album, In Rainbows. Had the sales administered through the band's own W.A.S.T.E. store (reportedly somewhere near 2 million) been counted by Nielsen SoundScan, you'd be reading a different article today.

And Coldplay's many years behind indie artists who, out of necessity, have transferred their focus from the old radio-CD-print press model to this new open, fan-engagement approach. Independent labels like Merge or Matador depend on intimate connections with their fans or on giving information directly to the people who care. Coldplay has simply taken that strategy to more people. Indeed, through kind circumstance and a handful of smart decisions, Coldplay stands almost alone within the major-label system as a shining example of how to do it right—and how to do it big—in the digital era.

Coldplay performs Thursday, Aug. 6 at the Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion at Walnut Creek at 7 p.m. Elbow and Kitty, Dasiy & Lewis open, and tickets cost $35-$97.50.

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A399024